• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Marvel, what are you doing...

n0HaOu6l.jpg

LionPride

Banned
So that thing with the girl, ain't gonna happen. We like each other, a lot, but she would never have time from doing what will help her advance herself into what she wants to be her future career. I ain't gonna hold her back from that, so looks like we won't be together. She doesn't think it fair for me since I would never see her. Sucks yo

Shy

I came across an interesting documentary on the documentaries sub reddit (the only sub reddit i like) the other day, and finally got round to watching it this evening.

It's called Order of myths.
This is the description from the post on reddit.
"A NYT Critic's Pick film about the town with the oldest Mardi Gras tradition in the US, and the racial divide that runs through it."

And this is the youtube description. (which is taken from Wiki)
"The Order of Myths is a 2008 documentary film directed by Margaret Brown. It focuses on the Mardi Gras celebrations in Mobile, Alabama, the oldest in the United States. It reveals the separate mystic societies established and maintained by black and white groups, and acknowledges the complex racial history of a city with a slaveholding past. While showing the mystic societies' ties to economic, class and racial stratification, the film also showed the beginnings of interaction between the black and white courts. It also tells some of the history of Africatown, a community formed north of Mobile in 1860 by Africans from Ghana, transported illegally as slaves to Mobile decades after the end of the slave trade.

The film competed in the Documentary Competition at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. It had a limited release in New York on July 25, 2008, and ran on Independent Lens, a PBS series featuring independent films, in 2009. It was distributed by The Cinema Guild."

And if you liked that doc, here's a brief Q and A with the director Margaret Brown.

Sorry for the wall of text. I wanted to give you guys enough info before you watched it, so you can decide whether it's something you'd be interested in watching.

Village

Piccolo is black right?

Right??!

So like honest dbz anylizations

I feel like namekians and like their whole culture is actually based way more on indian and middle eastern cultures than anything out of africa to be quite honest. The closest thing to actually black folk in dbz I find as a comparison, stereotypical is the saiyains. And its in theme, in actual aeststic practice I have no idea what to compare them to besides kryptonians for obvious reasons.

Also a real life knuckles counter part would probably, since we are on the subject of """"black""""" video game characters, be like native american, because like the aztec architecture, and the clothing and everything. Just happens to like rap music,.And then like the plethora of stories in the comic about how all the echidinas were pissed because all folks do is come to their land take their shit and kinda kill them.They are very much like native americans of the sonic universe, just with the scarcity, the arctexture, well most of it. According to sonic adventure 2, there may have been an Egyptian branch of enchiladas, which would be super interesting. But everything connected to knuckles is native american or like south american in orgin. Also they have like horrible like messed up sacrificial tendencies, which probably seals the deal on the ancient south american peoples connection on a stereotype level.

RedSwirl

The main reason I want shit like this to eventually get made is because these are whole pockets of history nobody thinks about. I'm not even just talking about Africa, but ancient history in general. "Sword and Sandal" movies have mostly been confined to Greco-Roman themes along with Europe plus all the war movies China likes to make. I guess every culture is going to mainly focus on its own history.

Just looking up the subject of that movie on Wiki creates more questions than it answers for me. I want to know what else was happening on the world stage at that time, who were Tarhaqa's contemporaries, and so-on. Historians know a lot more about what was going on in North Africa and the Middle East thousands of years ago than most people realize. Have you ever sat back and thought about the actual breadth of ancient Egyptian history? People say "ancient Egypt" like it's just one setting where everything happened at once, but it was more like a 3000-year period in itself. The Giza pyramids were already 2000 years old in Cleopatra's time.

Yo Jandro loved your cameo in the new Beyounce video

There were spurs on that man's Adidas. SPURS.

And some of those costumes that looked straight out of Marie LeVeau's closet. I was expecting Candyman to show up!

And the Big Freedia vocals!

And Blue Ivy being all Blue Ivy!

And, and...if I say anymore I'll be spoiling it.

Little black boy in black hoodie dancing and the COPS PUT THEIR HANDS UP OMG and Beyonce sinking with that New Orleans police car!

Whew.

Slayven

There were spurs on that man's Adidas. SPURS.

And some of those costumes that looked straight out of Marie LeVeau's closet. I was expecting Candyman to show up!

And the Big Freedia vocals!

And Blue Ivy being all Blue Ivy!

And, and...if I say anymore I'll be spoiling it.

Little black boy in black hoodie dancing and the COPS PUT THEIR HANDS UP OMG and Beyonce sinking with that New Orleans police car!

Whew.

Blue Ivy looking like a Magical Girl Squad

Top Bottom