• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Walpurgis

Banned
I've posted here once or twice but I haven't actually introduced myself.

Where you're from - Lived in Surrey (metro Vancouver - the ghetto part) until I was 10.
Where you live - Winnipeg
What is your age? - 20
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Somali
Do you know your roots - Major clan Darod, subclan Majeertan. If I ask my dad I might be able to trace it back to the OG Somali.
Favorite musical genre - ?
Your profession/major/career interest - Chemistry
Your religious affiliation - Muslim
Hobbies - Hmm...none really. I play lots of video games when I'm off school but that's it. I used to swim. Actually, I watch a lot of TV shows and occasionally some movies. Currently watching The Good Wife, The Leftovers, Samurai Flamenco, School-Live (kind of boring) and Assassination Classroom (also rewatching Fate/Zero).
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - KFC. Never heard of the others.

Slayven

Chelsea was a special correspondent for NBC News from 2011–2014, according to Wikipedia.

And Slayven, don't you put that Ben Urich on me. I don't appreciate you using your countryfied comic book hoodoo like that. :)

EDIT: As to why MSNBC did that...maybe they think they need a real fight, and making Bill Clinton look anti-Obama gives Bernie some push to make the Democratic primary more of a slobberknocker. The Republican primary is more Hell in a Cage.

Ben is still alive in comics. It was either that or Lois Lane and I never liked Lois

Walpurgis

Banned
Welcome welcome
More Somali crew. Growing stronger slowly

Can never have enough Somali crew.
RTXBIUW.jpg

Furyous

I've posted here once or twice but I haven't actually introduced myself.

Vancouver has a ghetto?

BRB as I learn real quick:

BACK and confused as shit. It looks like a real diverse and clean hood but damn if it has problems like everyone else. It's so weird respectfully speaking. Does Vancouver treat you badly in the same way Americans treat Muslims?

Ask me something and I'll respond after my upcoming quiz and class later on tonight.

Walpurgis

Banned
Vancouver has a ghetto?

BRB as I learn real quick:

BACK and confused as shit. It looks like a real diverse and clean hood but damn if it has problems like everyone else. It's so weird respectfully speaking. Does Vancouver treat you badly in the same way Americans treat Muslims?

Ask me something and I'll respond after my upcoming quiz and class later on tonight.

Surrey is a separate city from Vancouver but it is considered apart of Metro Vancouver. In reality, Vancouver the city was a 30 minute drive away from my house and we rarely went there.

Warning, incoming life story about Surrey:

I didn't know that Surrey, B.C. was ghetto when I lived there but I've read on the internet that Surrey is pretty bad. And looking back, I would have to agree. I lived in a townhouse complex called Epsom Downs that was mostly populated by low-income white families and a few other Somali families. There was a trailer park just outside the complex as well. We got into fights with some white families and their parents were incredibly trashy (always smoking and swearing and looking real dirty and fat as hell). I remember a time when they threw a piss water balloon at a door one night.

There was definitely a lot of racism from the white kids (and, sadly. some parents) and the Indian kids. Naturally, I was racist right back. Epsom Downs wasn't as bad for racism since we established dominance, it was more at school (Bear Creek Elementary). Lots of "you bathe in shit" and stuff. I remember a white girl in 4th grade that told me her dog hates black people. I told on her ass in a hurry. There was also a white boy in 3rd grade that asked me how I turned black and if I was burned or something. I hesitated to tell on him because I didn't think he was being malicious, just really dumb. Still told on him but I felt bad afterwards since he was kind of my friend. My 4th grade teacher hated me for no reason (I'm assuming it was because I was black). He was a Chinese guy with no accent and bullied me in class. I'm pretty certain that he was a pedo that liked small white girls (specifically, the smallest one in the class). I hope he's dead.

My older sister had a pretty shit year and got a lot of harassment and bullying for her name and headscarf. Some guy in her class threatened to kill her (7th grade). 2 years later, after we left for Winnipeg, he actually killed someone in high school. o_O

It wasn't all bad though. Again, we became pretty dominant in Epsom Downs since Somalis have larger families so it's not like we were always being oppressed (just at the start) and overtime, we made friends with some former enemies too.

One of the boys in a refugee Somali family got involved with gangs in high school. One night during 12th grade, he was shot in the neck at a gas station by an Indian gang who mistook him for some other Somali fellow. He was completely paralysed and bound to coma for 6-7 years. He suddenly passed away a few years ago. He was their oldest son. It was really sad but he kept his mind until the end so he was able to communicate with his family and read Quran.

One thing that I noticed in Surrey was that I was often mistaken for being Indian since Surrey had a lot of Indian people. I remember a period of time where I wasn't even sure I was black and just called myself brown (since, technically, that is what I was). I also remember getting put into ESL every year (basically English as an additional language for immigrants) since I was black/brown. I would sit in there with a bunch of other Indian kids and they would pick up erasers and apples and ask us "could anyone tell me what this is?". Most of the time, the Indian kids were born in Canada and had no accent like me so that was definitely racist (especially since there were some white kids in my class that could hardly speak or read). My mom complained to the office and got me out of it every year.

My dad lost his computer teaching job so we moved to Winnipeg. The first thing that I noticed was that people were way nicer. We were outside of our apartment and needed a quarter for some reason and a woman overheard us. She ran back into her apartment and brought us quarters. She was white. This kind of thing did not happen where I lived in Surrey. The schools also had basically no bullying and I can't remember experiencing any racism from students or staff. Well, actually, they did put me in ESL again but my mom took care of that. And no one mistook me for being Indian, which did begin to annoy me, tbh. I remember thinking, wow, B.C. people are real assholes. B.C.'s license plate says "Beautiful British Colombia" and Manitoba's license plate says "Friendly Manitoba, and, in my experience, that's pretty accurate. Beauty really is only skin deep.

We unfortunately didn't want to play outside anymore in Winnipeg because we lived in an apartment with no playgrounds and we lived in a low-income area that was scary for us. We heard things about Aboriginal gangs and stuff, and just stayed inside playing video games or played on the internet from then on. There was one other Somali family in the apartment that we occasionally visited but other than that we were pretty isolated.

TL;DR: Winnipeg >>>>> Surrey

Kreed

Decided to do some actual research. Looks like Bill Clinton isn't as bad as expected:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/busted-msnbc-butchers-bill-clinton-mid-quote-to-make-him-slam-obama/

He's still on probation for 2008, though.

I was on the previous page catching up and was like "Ok this sounds REALLY out of context" and found the full video before your post came up. Got to do research on everything now that everyone in the news is so concerned about how many people are clicking their headlines.

Bubba T

5 chapters in Economics in three weeks and a test due the third week. Not to mention dealing with other chapters in my other classes that all have work due.

The joys of a full time course load with a full time job.

Walpurgis

Banned
Decided to do some actual research. Looks like Bill Clinton isn't as bad as expected:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/busted-msnbc-butchers-bill-clinton-mid-quote-to-make-him-slam-obama/

He's still on probation for 2008, though.

I will never forgive him for Rwanda.
Intelligence reports indicate that United States president Bill Clinton and his cabinet were aware before the height of the massacre that a "final solution to eliminate all Tutsis" was planned. However, fear of a repeat of the events in Somalia shaped US policy at the time, with many commentators identifying the graphic consequences of the Battle of Mogadishu as the key reason behind the US's failure to intervene in later conflicts such as the Rwandan Genocide. After the battle, the bodies of several US casualties of the conflict were dragged through the streets of Mogadishu by crowds of local civilians and members of Aidid's Somali National Alliance. According to the US's former deputy special envoy to Somalia, Walter Clarke: "The ghosts of Somalia continue to haunt US policy. Our lack of response in Rwanda was a fear of getting involved in something like a Somalia all over again." President Clinton has referred to the failure of the U.S. government to intervene in the genocide as one of his main foreign policy failings, saying "I don't think we could have ended the violence, but I think we could have cut it down. And I regret it." Eighty percent of the discussion in Washington concerned the evacuation of American citizens.
Over the course of six weeks, 800,000 Rwandan Tutsis and Twa were slaughtered and raped in their homes and on the streets without any international opposition. The only reason why it was stopped was because of the Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) led by Paul Kagame.

The French were even worse.
During President Habyarimana's years in power, France maintained very close relations with him, as part of its Françafrique policy, and assisted Rwanda militarily against the RPF during the Civil War; France considered the RPF, along with Uganda, as part of an "plot" to increase Anglophone influence at the expense of French influence. During the first few days of the genocide, France launched Amaryllis, a military operation assisted by the Belgian army and UNAMIR, to evacuate expatriates from Rwanda. The French and Belgians refused to allow any Tutsi to accompany them, and those who boarded the evacuation trucks were forced off at Rwandan government checkpoints, where they were killed. The French also separated several expatriates and children from their Tutsi spouses, rescuing the foreigners but leaving the Rwandans to likely death. The French did, however, rescue several high profile members of Habyarimana's government, as well as his wife, Agathe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide#International_involvement

There's a special place in hell reserved for François Mitterrand.

_74032515_churchclothesafp.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

Jesus. Is Maddow the only good thing about MSNBC?

Good thing about Obama is how much he savagely rips them at the WH correspondents dinner. We've got one more.

Bct like,

53697461.jpg

FyreWulff

I missed this.

JXatlj0.png

Was this talked about in here?

Anybody notice the obvious problem with this photo?

Anybody wondering why black folk still aren't feeling the bern except for when we're at the salon and that hot comb gets a little too close to the scalp?

tangentially, black folk only #2 happened recently here

http://imgur.com/2Sjy1Zz

of course, that meeting you just linked, and the reaction to this flyer was "they're not talking properly", and the first pic explains why the second one ends up needed. us white folk turn any racial meeting into "monitoring" the discussion. Like that Malcolm X vid upthread, the white guy spends most of his time talking about the meta of the discussion re: names than X's core message.

edit: also, the woman that published Nebraska's only black newspaper has died:

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local-news/publisher-of-omaha-star-dies

Top Bottom