• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Shy

QJVmPTX.png

So who copped Street Fighter V
Yo.

Sch1sm

It's not just America. I'm Canadian and I thought that the Black Panthers were the black version of the KKK until a thread here a month or two ago. My older sister might have mentioned that to me when I was a kid. Anyway, when I was in high school, we had a cardboard boat building contest. I heard someone in another group suggest naming their boat some varient on the generic and overused KKK so I tried to name my group's boat "Black Panthers" to spice things up. One of my group members who was white got really combative and was deeply offended.

It's just a thing that most people take as fact even if it's untrue.

Whereabout in Canada do you find people like this? Need to know for avoidance reasons.

As a nation we've always sucked at recognizing black history, or even speaking of it. Never really heard about the Black Panthers until I was randomly assigned to do a paper on them in 10th grade or something, so I always wondered where people got the whole Black Panthers = black KKK. Is it school learnt, or just something a white child was told by their probably racist grandma while on vacation in northern Florida and then perpetuated?

Walpurgis

Banned
Whereabout in Canada do you find people like this? Need to know for avoidance reasons.

As a nation we've always sucked at recognizing black history, or even speaking of it. Never really heard about the Black Panthers until I was randomly assigned to do a paper on them in 10th grade or something, so I always wondered where people got the whole Black Panthers = black KKK. Is it school learnt, or just something a white child was told by their probably racist grandma while on vacation in northern Florida and then perpetuated?

I don't think it's anything direct. It's probably osmosis or something. I mean, a black KKK existing made sense to me, considering what the KKK was doing to black people. I assume that is the thought process for a lot of people.

The thing is, we don't actually learn these things in school, like at all. Not even Martin Luther King. I either learned about the KKK from Family Guy or Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle. The Canadian social studies school curriculum only deals with stuff that Canada had to do with, and even then only the major stuff (i.e. prior to confederation in 1867 when Canada was exciting). The African Americans in Nova Scotia aren't even in the textbooks.

As for where I live, I don't think it matters. I'm sure that you'll find people who think the same thing across the country. They aren't being malicious though, it's just something they must have picked up from American media (along with the rest of the world). I live in Winnipeg, btw, so you'd want to avoid it anyway.

RedSwirl

I'll be real: until all this conversation showed up I just thought the Black Panthers were a really stern-looking group of protesters who would occasionally intimidate police by holding guns and mean mugging in their general direction. I saw a documentary a long time ago about some black group or another that might have been the Panthers doing a lot of community programs though. Might have just been an urban street gang in the late 60's and early 70's though.

Anyway, you can buy the new PBS thing on iTunes. $12.99.

Sch1sm

Real talk, y'all niggas gonna help me learn how to play SF if I grab it?

If you press start, you can see how to do moves.

That's all I got for you. If anything, just find a character that you like and go into training grounds - learn their skill set. It really is a practice thing.

Bubba T

Going raw is never an option
, unless it's mom's weekend in which case morning after pill but fuck responsibly yo,
in situations like these and people need to wear condoms. Tell him to get a lawyer and get that down to 25 percent or less. Courts have to realize he needs to cover living expenses. Somone might claim the child wasn't theirs but that's just them if their partner decided to have the child at all because of her pro choice stance.

Yeah. I talked with him recently and he has gotten a lawyer so this is going to be a battle. Terrible for his daughter but things like this teach you a life lesson. Just hearing all the stuff that's gone down in the past 3 years is scary, and I say this as someone looking from the outside.

Resisted watching the new Daredevil S2 trailer but I finally just watched it. God. Damn. I'm excited. Solidifies Daredevil as my favorite stuff to come out of Marvel's live-action gambit.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Picked up SFV myself. Gonna see if the servers are actually working in an hour or so.

And why do you the KIA isn't here already? Have you noticed the thread's post count vs view count?

Uhhhhh....out of the first 20 or so threads on Community...BCT isn't even in the top half of Views to Posts.

Thread Posts Views Ratio
DBZ 3665 364939 99.57407913
Naruto 6723 425100 63.23070058
ODate 10846 577192 53.21703854
EDM 5042 242556 48.10710036
LA GAF 4460 211169 47.34730942
Hphone 3341 145594 43.57797067
Wrassle 9256 391368 42.28262748
PoliGAF 10653 424537 39.85140336
Anime 15258 572140 37.49770612
Pathfinder 3670 134274 36.58692098
Gundam 5744 193556 33.69707521
BCT15270 506938 33.19829731
GAF Hop 3471 115179 33.1832325
Magic 6534 202562 31.00122436
MLB 6711 182990 27.2671733
Comics 2360 60521 25.64449153
CFB 915 20690 22.61202186
AceA 497 11057 22.24748491
LGBTQIA 1699 36985 21.76868746
NFL 13574 268633 19.79026079
Toonami 5835 114488 19.62090831
NHL 6608 119801 18.12969128

Apparently people really like lurking in Anime.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
See, plenty of people lurk and only post when they have an issue

Dude, SF V just freaking finished downloading - it's not exactly a secret that a ton of FG players are here, wrasslegaf, and the community FG thread.

But it took 30 seconds to actually like, confirm the entire "views to posts" bit was actually a relevant point before spouting off about being spied on by reddit or whatnot. (I do this to PoliGAF / WrassleGAF as well)

EDIT: Though I'm not going to lie, the nearly 100 to 1 ratio of the DBZ abridged thread is...kind of a hell of an outlier? It is sort of odd that DBZ, Naruto, Anime, and Pathfinder are all in the top 10, and Gundam is next on the (randomly grabbed) list. I thought maybe the first post was an updated OP that would have all the links or something, but nope, the links just sort of randomly appear throughout the thread when the episode comes out. No list post with Naruto either.

I kinda wanna figure out why the hell they have such a crazy ratio. Online Dating makes sense because people probably want to read entertaining stories / might be too shy to say anything. Product / Location ones make some sense because people probably read to get recommendations.

Young Magus

This sounds like "thread on a forum" stuff..not that I disagree.

True, True.....
Recent DOAX threads take it to anotha level tho.....dudes straight up asking for face-sitting modes, bruhs fuming over the game currency being export only and shit

LMAO! Thanks for the visual. Still, I don't agree with banning threads on things that I don't like unless it's harassment or something like that. Like, I'm sick of Islam/religion threads in OT but I've learned to avoid clicking on them. It's a good place for racists/bigots to accrue a colourful post history that can be brought up later though.

Again true,

Yea maybe banning wouldn't be THE answer but also its a bit more than "I dont like this thing so noone should talk about it" that gets my like :scusthov:about these threads

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
What? No..

Random aside: Asian GAF is 7093 posts to 275403 views, for a ratio of 38.82.

I suspect people could also be curious about the culture but not want to necessarily interject oneself or come off as ignorant. Though LGBTQIA has a much smaller ratio.

Some more interesting ones I looked up

AusPoliGAF is 39.57
SimpsonGAF is 85.9
SneakersGAF is 87.8
Netflix is 89.17
Japanese Music is 61.4
BritGAF is 32.2
TransGAF is 85.3 (woah)
PicsGAF is the winner at 461.1
BrazilGAF is 43
80s SynthGAF is 117.8
Seattle GAF is 38.5

So it seems like the product / music type threads get a lot of views for recommendations, the area / cultural GAF huddles around the mid to high 30s into the low 40s (low end being LGBTQIA at 21.8, but then BCT at 33.2, Brit at 32.2, Brazil at 42, Seattle at 38, LA at 47, Asian at 38.8) and picture threads crush all the things.

LMAO! Thanks for the visual. Still, I don't agree with banning threads on things that I don't like unless it's harassment or something like that. Like, I'm sick of Islam/religion threads in OT but I've learned to avoid clicking on them. It's a good place for racists/bigots to accrue a colourful post history that can be brought up later though.

Yeah - sometimes it just takes willpower to avoid 'em. I work in analytics / stats, and so usually the "this study says!!" threads make me want to just hide, otherwise I end up spending an hour pointing out all the ways either a) the news article completely misrepresented what the hell the study actually says or b) the study is terrifyingly flawed in some basic way because the author(s) already had their end result planned in mind.

EDIT: Oh right, the other reason I wanted to post here (stupid ratio thing distracting me). Cross Posted this in PoliGAF

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-to-this-massive-change-in-criminal-justice/

Slightly better news! Yay for some progress, I suppose.

After decades of growth, the U.S. imprisonment rate has been declining for the past six years. Hidden within this welcome overall trend is a sizable and surprising racial disparity: African-Americans are benefitting from the national de-incarceration trend but whites are serving time at increasingly higher rates.

The pattern of results, evident in a series of reports from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, is most stark among women. Since 2000, the imprisonment rate among African-American women has dropped 47 percent, while the rate among white women has risen by 56 percent. These trends have combined to shrink the racial disparity in women’s imprisonment by two-thirds.

A similar pattern emerges for men, who compose a much larger share of the prison population. The rate of imprisonment among African-American men remains very high, but nonetheless it has tumbled 22 percent since 2000. The rate for white men in contrast is 4 percent higher than it was in 2000. As a result, the racial disparity has shrunk by nearly one quarter.

True, True.....
Recent DOAX threads take it to anotha level tho.....dudes straight up asking for face-sitting modes, bruhs fuming over the game currency being export only and shit
Dude..and that's why that game becomes so hard to play. What the fuck is wrong with these dudes? Besides lack of actual females..DAMN
Someone wanna round up the links to our off-site fan clubs and PM them? I'd do it but I prefer not to search for that stuff on the work machine.

I'm not in the mood..Google exist.

Kangi

How is PicsGAF still that popular?

But yes, there are lurkers everywhere. I lurk this thread every day, though I've posted a couple of times. I feel like I'm in mission control in here; I'd have missed that amazing SFV post without this thread.

Top Bottom