• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Dai101

Banned
Some questionable decisions...haven't gotten much time with it yet though.

I just skimmed through it (don't ask how) and aside that my rig can't run it properly (looks great, but "runs" at snail pace) holy shit, it's barebones.

Also apparently no one can connect to play against another? Shit. I'll should be surprised but seing what Double Helix (and later Iron Galaxy) did with a lesser franchise this is just appaling how it got released.

Then again, it's capcpom. Not too mad tho' they give me more time to buy a decent vidcard.

I just skimmed through it (don't ask how) and aside that my rig can't run it properly (looks great, but "runs" at snail pace) holy shit, it's barebones.

Also apparently no one can connect to play against another? Shit. I'll should be surprised but seing what Double Helix (and later Iron Galaxy) did with a lesser franchise this is just appaling how it got released.

Then again, it's capcpom. Not too mad tho' they give me more time to buy a decent vidcard.

Sever issues. Lackluster lobbies is the only thing I'm really pissed off about.

Mizerman

Yeah, it's more of the servers being lol worthy.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Sever issues. Lackluster lobbies is the only thing I'm really pissed off about.

For PC, the tutorial happening before anything, and not knowing what your keys are...that's a pretty basic oversight.

Ah, i see.

Also, there's no system settings? Video options? Nothing? Or i missed something?

They were in the PC version, but they were sort of hidden - there's the big settings option on the main set of choices, and then on the side there's another settings button which takes you to graphics and such. All I saw for graphics on PC were just resolution and maybe one other box, though.

I know they wanted to get this out for CPT...but man, they really could have used like one or two more months. They're missing a lot, and with the servers being borked (which is expected, first couple of days), it's at the worst point currently it will be until DLC starts coming out.

CM6b09AUAAAC9zv.jpg
cSyHoGN.gif

-----
I'm ChocolateGiddyUp on SFV for PS4, I'm scrubby as fuck though.

Shy

Is anyone else having trouble adding people's CFN, when i try to add some of you it says data not found, but with others i can. Odd.

Oof! Utter destruction!

I think SF5 exposes a big reason why I have an issue with the current state of Fighting Games. Beat em ups too but more Fighting Games.

Just a serious lack of content and pushing the genre forward in ways that aren't totally about refining old gameplay systems.

I grew up on Weaponlord, Tobal/Ehrgeiz, Bushido Blade, Power Stone, and the Def Jam series, so I want more fighting games to go beyond the typical SF or Tekken/SC style of gameplay.

Dereck

Oof! Utter destruction!

I think SF5 exposes a big reason why I have an issue with the current state of Fighting Games. Beat em ups too but more Fighting Games.

Just a serious lack of content and pushing the genre forward in ways that aren't totally about refining old gameplay systems.

I grew up on Weaponlord, Tobal/Ehrgeiz, Bushido Blade, Power Stone, and the Def Jam series, so I want more fighting games to go beyond the typical SF or Tekken/SC style of gameplay.
I was playing SFV with a friend of mine and let me tell you, there is always something that I notice about people's opinions. The more they catch me off guard, the more interesting I find them to be. He told me, I'm paraphrasing here, that SFV reminds him of playing the Super Nintendo. As if the way the game plays feels "antiquated". I didn't have any opinion about what he said until now. Does his comment somewhat relate to what you're referring to?

Oof! Utter destruction!

Because those systems really don't need to evolve beyond being "different" every iterations. The games you listed just weren't popular enough to warrant the move towards those games. Traditional Fighting Games are, dare I say it, perfect.

Content hasn't really been an issue though tbh. That's just a SFV thing. Who tryna catch these hands though.

Dereck

Because those systems really don't need to evolve beyond being "different" every iterations. The games you listed just weren't popular enough to warrant the move towards those games. Traditional Fighting Games are, dare I say it, perfect.
This is interesting. I don't know enough to directly comment on this statement but I'll add something. That newest Naruto game is like the 6th game in the series. The series itself is almost 10 years old and there are still gaping flaws in the fighting system. That is why I can never take it seriously. Regardless of whether or not it is meant to be taken a seriously, I think the more traditional fighting games series' developers have closely tuned and molded their games into being somewhat balanced and functional through any given situation.

This is interesting. I don't know enough to directly comment on this statement but I'll add something. That newest Naruto game is like the 6th game in the series. The series itself is almost 10 years old and there are still gaping flaws in the fighting system. That is why I can never take it seriously. Regardless of whether or not it is meant to be taken a seriously, I think the more traditional fighting games series' developers have closely tuned and molded their games into being somewhat balanced and functional through any given situation.

Why bother with balance when people don't buy the games for that? Same reason why MK is just now getting legit fighting games since MK9 when besides UMK3 being a fluke balance wise(see Melee also) it wasn't too much of a concern.

Walpurgis

Banned
https://youtube.com/watch?v=1_F98FnkFwk

I hate everything about this character. I hate her prolly better to call it a bikini. I hate her hat. I hate her bayonetta ridiculous but not intended as irony "sexy" walk animation. I hate her cat ears and tail. I literally hate all of this design.

Trash.
Damn. Game is looking fine. I haven't looked at it in a while but those graphics looks great compared to Tales of Lastgenia. As for the stripper character, I hope we can change her clothes. I know that things are different in Japan but they went too far on that one. It's just not realistic. I watch a lot of anime (expert) so I know that all of the male party members should be having nosebleeds.
Ah. Yeah, that's skin but I never control the mages in Star Ocean unless I'm doing the coliseum, so it's whatever.
I've never played a Star Ocean game. It's good to read that all of the party members are controllable. Unfortunately, I always play mages. I hope there's more than one.

Damn. Game is looking fine. I haven't looked at it in a while but those graphics looks great compared to Tales of Lastgenia. As for the stripper character, I hope we can change her clothes. I know that things are different in Japan but they went too far on that one. It's just not realistic. I watch a lot of anime (expert) so I know that all of the male party members should be having nosebleeds.

I've never played a Star Ocean game. It's good to read that all of the party members are controllable. Unfortunately, I always play mages. I hope there's more than one.

The only other one I know of is the creepy doll-faced heroine, but there's usually a decent percent of the party.

I'll be maining the melee woman

Crocodile

combofiend-o.gif

Again true,

Yea maybe banning wouldn't be THE answer but also its a bit more than "I dont like this thing so noone should talk about it" that gets my like :scusthov:about these threads

To be frank that kinda sounds like where you're coming from. That sort of talk, which is like joking hyperbole 99% of the time, is isolated to threads about games that somewhat encourage those sorts of jokes but are also games we don't really care about and can easily ignore. People say dumb but inoffensive things on the internet in places where it doesn't harm or derail nearby conversations, news at 11? Not throwing shade your way to be clear, I just I can't be bothered to care and I'm not sure why you care enough to let it bother you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1_F98FnkFwk

I hate everything about this character. I hate her prolly better to call it a bikini. I hate her hat. I hate her Bayonetta ridiculous but not intended as irony "sexy" walk animation. I hate her cat ears and tail. I literally hate all of this design.

Trash.

I'm skeptical you were that interested in the game to begin with (which is fine of course). I legit can't think of a game where one character was so dumb that it put me off from buying the game (as opposed to just being worthy of critique). Like it would have to be straight up in the realm of unambiguously and unjustifiably racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. as opposed to just dumb (which is what this is). Or is this one small cut placed on top of 999 others? (But then again that would just mean the game overall looks unappealing to you).

Oof! Utter destruction!

I feel in a lot of ways, Fighting Games have gone backwards in terms of single player content. Online play used to be a luxury but now its mandatory. That's a good thing of course in our changing world but instead of just that being incorporated in the standard list of features as an addition, it seems it has taken the place of single player content. I can excuse indies having barebones launches and, to be fair to Capcom, they seem to have a pretty aggressive intent to add content, but they are CAPCOM and this is STREET FIGHTER - the premier FG IP, not some risky enterprise. Why did they skimp on so much here - especially when they had Sony money too. It's so weird to me.

Crocodile

Doing the Mika story mode now...these art panels hurt my soul

And it's over in like 7 minutes-_-

I feel for Bengus. They must have worked that dude to the bone to get him to crank out so much stuff and so fast. I have no idea why they dumped all that workload onto one guy. The art clearly suffered as a result.

Also, yeah - weakest excuse for a "story mode" I can remember in a fighting game in a while. I would say just Youtube them but then you wouldn't get dat Fight Money

Order

Storywise the stories are great. A lot of interesting things going on in them.

Shame about the length and presentation though.

I guess the full stories are out in June? Wild.

I haven't followed much of the info so I didn't realize they'd be piecing it out.

And actually I'm liking most of the panels;it's a shame the 3D models are hit and miss

Young Magus

To be frank that kinda sounds like where you're coming from. That sort of talk, which is like joking hyperbole 99% of the time, is isolated to threads about games that somewhat encourage those sorts of jokes but are also games we don't really care about and can easily ignore. People say dumb but inoffensive things on the internet in places where it doesn't harm or derail nearby conversations, news at 11? Not throwing shade your way to be clear, I just I can't be bothered to care and I'm not sure why you care enough to let it bother you.

Looking back on it yea I did come off too strong in my disapproval about the topic. I guess its just that there so much discussion going on with the same tone/motion that I`m just like :martin: about it.

But you right tho, I shouldn't be this upset about it. But I am still sporting the :dahell: in regards to the dumb stuff that gets said when the game is discussed.

And I understand fully that theres no shade bruh :D

And I think that's why I find the genre so antiquated, because to me perfect is boring. The enemy of progress. Other genres push forward, even stuff that have it's traditionalists like FPS' and RPGs.

But it seems like fighting games is the only one that thinks it doesn't have to do anything new. Rather see games fail taking risks than be borderline monopolized for one style of gaming (competitive/tourney play in this case).

More importantly, I think there's room for both competitive fighting games and adventure/single player fighting games.

Malyse

I'm skeptical you were that interested in the game to begin with (which is fine of course). I legit can't think of a game where one character was so dumb that it put me off from buying the game (as opposed to just being worthy of critique). Like it would have to be straight up in the realm of unambiguously and unjustifiably racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. as opposed to just dumb (which is what this is). Or is this one small cut placed on top of 999 others? (But then again that would just mean the game overall looks unappealing to you).

Considering that I've played every Star Ocean, Tales of, and almost every Tri-Ace game up to this point, I'd say I was pretty interested. This, plus fucking pancake face's shrill voice are putting me off.

Especially when the face was pretty damn easy to fix:

tumblr_nn2uvxmiet1ry06y5o1_1280.jpg

(art from NeoGAF's own Dice//)

That, plus the fact that the series went from good to fucking trainwreck and that the games from my perspective have been declining from the first game (SO > SO2 > SO3 >>>>>>>>>>> SO4) and I'm generally worried.

-----

I just found out that VA not only has ramen shops, but that we have a LOT of ramen shops.

Malyse

So that happened.

I was ordering an art commission from an artist that I had found on tumblr, but is also on deviantart. It was of one of my characters wielding a weapon and on their commission page they mention that weapons cost extra. That’s all well and good. So today I’m talking with said artist about the commission and working out the details. They quote me a price that does not include the weapon. They don’t mention that the price doesn’t include the weapon. I agree to that price. Then they send me their paypal address and tell me that the total price is going to be $5 higher than what we agreed on. Now, $5 isn’t going to break me, not remotely. But I don’t think that most people would react well to a sudden jump and I say as much. In fact here’s what I said exactly (after sending the money):

For future reference, particularly when the commissioner has already stated that they want an extra like a weapon from the beginning, every price quoted should have the extra included. Seeing the price jump $5 in 5 minutes is a very unsettling experience.

I don’t think I was being unreasonable. I had requested a weapon from the start so I would think that since the artist knew this that the quoted prices would have included it. I’ve been commissioning art for a decade and I’ve never had the price change after all the details were decided.

Here’s what I got a a reply:

Sir, I'm sorry to say but I'm going to deny this commission. My commission info clearly states that I will charge extra for weapons,
which you would have found out if you had read a little more carefully.
I don't work with people who do not treat me like a human being. I'm not comfortable with this.

Have a nice day.

I’m a little nonplussed at this response, to be honest. People usually don’t take issue with someone trying to help them out, but if they responded this badly to constructive criticism, then I probably would have had issues later if the art wasn’t as correct as I would have wanted. Sad to say it, but I probably dodged a bullet.

Long story short: don’t be sensitive about people trying to help you out.

Oh and I never got a response on what I did to offend them. I did, get accussed of talking to them like an robot. I dunno. Maybe people are just that different in Sweden.

shingi70

Banned
Gotta Say it feels like Street Fighter V should have did a KI and launched for $20-40 instead of pushing such a barebones game for $60.

Top Bottom