• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Malyse

17htJQu.gif

Yeah, okay Naughty Dog.

-----

Starting counting current FF7 threads. Stopped counting at 24 threads posted in today.

Kreed

so do we just talk about anything here?

The general premise for this thread is talking about anything and everything with black GAFers, GAFers who respect black culture, and Jandro. While subjects and questions related to black culture from around the world are encouraged, everything is fair game.

Hey, anyone remember that story about a tech guy who recently got fired for sending a "it's Friday, what's up my nigg-z" email to a bunch of people in his company? It's escaping me and I can't seem to find the link.

Not Aaron Slator. I think it was an Asian man.

I tried Googling but all I'm getting is Slator using the terms "Friday, niggas/niggers, email, fired, tech, racist". I'm sharing this Aaron Slator story anyway for those that didn't read it:

http://www.eurweb.com/2015/04/discr...t-texts-using-explicit-photos-and-the-n-word/

Bronx-Man

Banned
So I'm checking my Spotify year in review stats and it said that my five favorite artists are:
Kanye West
Kendrick Lamar
Flying Lotus
Daft Punk
Lupe Fiasco

What does it mean, BCT?

TheFlow

Banned
Ellen page called them out though for not using her permission, which makes sense because "Beyond Souls" was using her as a model.

Village

Basing people of real life people is fine, its just that when the art style is realism, folks tend to notice nowadays.

So I'm checking my Spotify year in review stats and it said that my five favorite artists are:
Kanye West
Kendrick Lamar
Flying Lotus
Daft Punk
Lupe Fiasco

What does it mean, BCT?

You are a young person.

Enzom21

17htJQu.gif

Yeah, okay Naughty Dog.

-----

Starting counting current FF7 threads. Stopped counting at 24 threads posted in today.
adhFwv5.jpg

It's pretty blatant.

The general premise for this thread is talking about anything and everything with black GAFers, GAFers who respect black culture, and Jandro. While subjects and questions related to black culture from around the world are encouraged, everything is fair game.

I tried Googling but all I'm getting is Slator using the terms "Friday, niggas/niggers, email, fired, tech, racist". I'm sharing this Aaron Slator story anyway for those that didn't read it:

http://www.eurweb.com/2015/04/discr...t-texts-using-explicit-photos-and-the-n-word/
The suggested top story from your link is... fascinating...
http://www.eurweb.com/2015/07/the-black-hat-10-reasons-why-black-men-shouldnt-date-white-women/

Malyse

Well damn.

I have almost as many streams of Hamilton as Ronald Jenkees and that only dropped in September. Actually, technically I have more of Hamilton because they separate Leslie Odom Jr, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Original Cast of Hamilton as three artists. 350 streams since September. And then Glitch Mob in fifth.

Albums is disproportionate too. Hamilton, Ronald Jenkees, Ronald Jenkees, Made in Heights, Ronald Jenkees.

Tracks is more diverse. 3 Hamilton tracks, Lonely Island, Lake Street Dive.

Ha!

Genres: Pop punk, Dance Pop, Glitch Hop, Pop, Chillstep. Sounds about right.

4254 minutes. 223 artists. 632 tracks.

Winter: Daft Punk, Hudson Mohawke, Casely

Spring: The Ready Set, Ronald Jenkees, Flo Riflda

Summer: Made in Heights, Ronald Jenkees, Glitch Mob.

Fall... Won't load, but I know it's gonna be Hamilton (plus I looked at the source code)

Fun stuff.

Yeah, okay Naughty Dog.

Nah. They look alike at a glance but not really. I could believe that maybe the artist googled South African actress and used her as a starting point but no further than that really.

Artists use real people as a base. Nothing wrong with that. The only time this is a problem is when it's used to profit off of the name or likeness of someone marketable without their permission or when it's used to defame/slander/insult.

Neither of those is applicable so I don't know what's supposed to happen with all this.

jmood88

This sentence made me laugh
a hip-hop loving Yahoo Inc. employee attempted to channel the gritty language of the recently released movie Straight Outta Compton, but ended up straight out of his job.

And this shit was irritating
Meghna Virick, a professor of management at San Jose State University, said Mr. Shen’s prompt departure from Yahoo was “harsh” and a missed opportunity to have a broader discussion at the company about what is permissible. “Yes, it’s embarrassing, and yes, it’s humiliating, but it’s sometimes good to let this stuff surface,” Prof. Virick said. “It’s important to have discussions about it, to treat this as an opportunity to talk about it with the rest of the Yahoo community. Because if [Mr. Shen] felt comfortable documenting it by e-mail, there’s a likelihood that there could be a culture of disrespect.”
If a grown-ass man doesn't understand that talking about niggas in a work email isn't a good idea, no amount of training or discussions will change anything.

D i Z

17htJQu.gif

Yeah, okay Naughty Dog.

-----

Yeah, that's some bullshit right there. Kandyse could use the work and major publicity Naughty Dog VA's get. The fact that she's actually South African by birth as well makes their bullshit even more egregious.

Now here's something to complain about
dead.png

They never paid Ellen Paige either, did they?

Nah. I think Ellen's people got a hold of it when some hit her up on her twitter about it, so ND made changes to the character to look more like Ashley Johnson the voice actress who plays her.

Sued for what though?

Using her likeness without her permission and appropriate compensation, which they have been known to do in the past.

same thing Lohan sued for

Lohan is way more famous. There's an actual argument that using her likeness will generate income.

Kandyse would have a much harder argument here. If every one of her twitter followers bought two copies of UC4 because of Nadine, that's under 14k sales for a series that has sold over 17million to date.

This isn't ND trying to profit on some slick shit. It's an artist using a person as a base in their character concept and the final iteration still bearing similarities.

If she wants to try to get paid, go for it I guess, but it's weird to be on the sidelines of this and choosing to ascribe nefarious intentions to it.

TheFlow

Banned
Lohan is way more famous. There's an actual argument that using her likeness will generate income.

Kandyse would have a much harder argument here. If every one of her twitter followers bought two copies of UC4 because of Nadine, that's under 14k sales for a series that has sold over 17million to date.

This isn't ND trying to profit on some slick shit. It's an artist using a person as a base in their character concept and the final iteration still bearing similarities.

If she wants to try to get paid, go for it I guess, but it's weird to be on the sidelines of this and choosing to ascribe nefarious intentions to it.
I didn't say she would win

D i Z

Who's ascribing nefarious intent? ND say they didn't use her likeness at all, and that clearly is not the case. 100% bullshit. Open and shut.

Malyse

Not just art though. If she was English or American and they used her as a base that'd be one thing. But to be that damn close and from the same country of origin? And if they really Googled South African *actress* and didn't contact? Particularly when this literally happened with the last game they shipped? Foh, ND. F. O. H.

Real talk, it's a goddamn coincidence that she has the same eyes? Cause that's the most egregious part to me. Hair changes, and everything else could be chance, but her eyes? Cmon.

Top Bottom