• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Who's ascribing nefarious intent? ND say they didn't use her likeness at all, and that clearly is not the case. 100% bullshit. Open and shut.

To say ND intentionally designed Nadine after Kandyse and didn't consult or pay her is to say they did it with the intent on ripping her off. Nefarious may be strong but you get what I'm saying.Where did ND even comment on it?

Not just art though. If she was English or American and they used her as a base that'd be one thing. But to be that damn close and from the same country of origin? And if they really Googled South African *actress* and didn't contact? Particularly when this literally happened with the last game they shipped? Foh, ND. F. O. H.

Real talk, it's a goddamn coincidence that she has the same eyes? Cause that's the most egregious part to me. Hair changes, and everything else could be chance, but her eyes? Cmon.

So just being the basis of a character entitles someone to get paid? If so a whole lot of people deserve paychecks that never got one. Everything is derivative man and that includes visual design. There is only a problem if ND intentionally decided to rip her off or if they're intentionally trying to profit off of her and I seriously doubt it. I mean there's no way that I can fathom that the higher ups at ND knew about this and thought, "Let's not pay her and risk a lawsuit even though she would easily be affordable seeing as how she's a barely known sci fi actress."

Makes zero sense. Lohan makes sense. Ellen Page makes sense. Random supporting actress in Sci Fi film and tv? Doesn't make much sense to me.

TheFlow

Banned
To say ND intentionally designed Nadine after Kandyse and didn't consult or pay her is to say they did it with the intent on ripping her off. Nefarious may be strong but you get what I'm saying.Where did ND even comment on it?

So just being the basis of a character entitles someone to get paid? If sona whole lot of people deserve paychecks that never got one. Everything is derivative man and that includes visual design. There is only a problem if ND intentionally decided to rip her off or if they're intentionally trying to profit off of her and I seriously doubt it. I mean there's no way that I can fathom that the higher ups at ND knew about this and thought, "Let's not pay her and risk a lawsuit even though she would easily be affordable seeing as how she's a barely known sci fi actress."

Makes zero sense. Lohan makes sense. Ellen Page makes sense. Random supporting actress in Sci Fi film and tv? Doesn't make much sense to me.
who said anything about getting paid? I think everyone is talking about how they both look a like. Her not being well known doesn't take away from this fact.

who said anything about getting paid? I think everyone is talking about how they both look a like. Her not being well known doesn't take away from this fact.

Anyone referring to a lawsuit or needing to have secured her rights is talking about geting paid. The tone of that thread isn't one of "oh hey this is kind of funny right?" either.

Malyse

So just being the basis of a character entitles someone to get paid? If so a whole lot of people deserve paychecks that never got one. Everything is derivative man and that includes visual design. There is only a problem if ND intentionally decided to rip her off or if they're intentionally trying to profit off of her and I seriously doubt it. I mean there's no way that I can fathom that the higher ups at ND knew about this and thought, "Let's not pay her and risk a lawsuit even though she would easily be affordable seeing as how she's a barely known sci fi actress."

Inspired by and straight taking someone's likeness ain't the same thing and you damn well know it. If I hear a song on the radio, I can't just lift the track, scrub the vocals and act like it's an original. ND is the Greg Land of gaming and this isn't the first time they've been called on it. But it's okay cause video games.

And it's a black woman so any fucks given automatically get an 80% discount.

Kreed

any tips for staying around long on GAF?

1) Use your "white"/work/business voice when you post outside of this thread/other more "laid back" communities at all times.

2) Be respectful, even if you're responding to an idiot or someone is getting at you. But if you have to get at a poster, making fun of the posts and not the poster usually works out better for people here. (This is outside of this thread only. In here, feel free to steal on anybody.)

3) If you think you're about to post something questionable, don't post it. Let some other poster that doesn't know any better do that for you and see the responses they get.

4) If you just "have" to post your questionable post, read the thread first, see how other people are posting/check for grey names and see why they were banned, and word your post carefully to avoid the same mistake.

5) If you make a dumb post and see you're getting requoted over and over for saying something dumb, do NOT double down on your stupidity. Squash it/take the L and keep it moving.

TheFlow

Banned
1) Use your "white"/work/business voice when you post outside of this thread/other more "laid back" communities at all times.

2) Be respectful, even if you're responding to an idiot or someone is getting at you. But if you have to get at a poster, making fun of the posts and not the poster usually works out better for people here. (This is outside of this thread only. In here, feel free to steal on anybody.)

3) If you think you're about to post something questionable, don't post it. Let some other poster that doesn't know any better do that for you and see the responses they get.

4) If you just "have" to post your questionable post, read the thread first, see how other people are posting/check for grey names and see why they were banned, and word your post carefully to avoid the same mistake.

5) If you make a dumb post and see you're getting requoted over and over for saying something dumb, do NOT double down on your stupidity. Squash it/take the L and keep it moving.
I think this is going to be my GAF-Bible. Bookmarked.
also thank you guys for the tips.

D i Z

Do not take any advice about not getting banned from Malyse.

joe-pesci-flame-thrower.gif

Inspired by and straight taking someone's likeness ain't the same thing and you damn well know it. If I hear a song on the radio, I can't just lift the track, scrub the vocals and act like it's an original. ND is the Greg Land of gaming and this isn't the first time they've been called on it. But it's okay cause video games.

They didn't straight take her likeness so there being a difference between the two doesn't matter.

You also keep making references to "it's happened before" but can you name one time it's happened outside of Ellen Page? Which was a lot closer of a facsimile, a Co-Main character (front and center in marketing), and a much bigger star that absolutely would've meant more sales.

And it's a black woman so any fucks given automatically get an 80% discount.

That's a separate issue that has nothing to do with what I'm saying, so don't lay that at my door.

TheFlow

Banned
They didn't straight take her likeness so there being a difference between the two doesn't matter.

You also keep making references to "it's happened before" but can you name one time it's happened outside of Ellen Page? Which was a lot closer of a facsimile, a Co-Main character (front and center in marketing), and a much bigger star that absolutely would've meant more sales.

That's a separate issue that has nothing to do with what I'm saying, so don't lay that at my door.

bolded: they clearly did

bolded: they clearly did

Nah. And you can check that thread for all the dueling gifs and photoshops. They look similar but it's not a straight copy. There's a reason that the only person to even realize they look similar at all was one dude. The game model doesn't even look close enough for people to have made the connection to the actress at a glance.

TheFlow

Banned
Nah. And you can check that thread for all the dueling gifs and photoshops. They look similar but it's not a straight copy. There's a reason that the only person to even realize they look similar at all was one dude. The game model doesn't even look close enough for people to have made the connection to the actress at a glance.
this takes all the way back to my original post "they changed her model just enough so they won't get sued"

I will agree to disagree though, and no way am I going back to any uncharted or FF 7 thread this month.

Malyse

OR! She's just not that well known. Dunno why you going so hard for ND.

D i Z

Odd thing for you to say when you consider that you're pretty much ascribing what others are saying in a separate thread to what we are saying here. The only thing that you've mentioned that actually relates to the discussion in this thread is that you don't agree that they took her likeness, when clearly they did.

Everyone that I know that has seen anything that Kandsye has ever done saw it immediately. The game model is obviously aged up and bulked up a bit, but any first year art student would be lying on the stand if they were called up to deny the source. That argument holds as much water as Ellen Page being used even though she's not a freckled faced teenager. And Kandsye ain't exactly a scrub or a nobody. She's very well known to sci fi viewers.

Shy

Preview

Proofread

These two posts are the best advise you could get.
What, what did i do. ?

Malyse

ND skated the line of plausable deniability so hard that they got almost everyone buying it.

Huh.

I wonder how many white folk see it and are keeping quiet so they don't catch a "you just think all black people look the same"

RedSwirl

Not just art though. If she was English or American and they used her as a base that'd be one thing. But to be that damn close and from the same country of origin? And if they really Googled South African *actress* and didn't contact? Particularly when this literally happened with the last game they shipped? Foh, ND. F. O. H.

Real talk, it's a goddamn coincidence that she has the same eyes? Cause that's the most egregious part to me. Hair changes, and everything else could be chance, but her eyes? Cmon.

So lemme get this straight: ND designed the look of the character AFTER they cast Laura Bailey AND recorded most or all of her scenes? If that's it then I guess it's sort of a case of throwing a minority character in at the (figurative) last minute. It's become apparent that doing all this production for video games has different challenges compared to movies and TV. Maybe ND should have thought about that at an earlier point in the process.

TheFlow

Banned
After looking at the comparison thread I can why this community was needed. GAF members are going out their way to defend ND.

Enzom21

After looking at the comparison thread I can why this community was needed. GAF members are going out their way to defend ND.

When race is involved, certain members will defend anything. Check any thread where a black person has been victimized or killed and you find someone to defend it.

My barber fucked up my lineup. I didn't notice how bad it was until my wife saw it. I didn't look at it good enough due to trusting this dude. It's like he stopped trying to lineup in the middle of it. Smh gotta wait till tomorrow for it to get fixed.

LionPride

Banned
When race is involved, certain members will defend anything. Check anything thread where a black person has been victimized or killed and you find someone to defend it.

It ain't racism unless someome says nigger or burns a cross. Otherwise we don't know the whole story (even when we do).

this takes all the way back to my original post "they changed her model just enough so they won't get sued"

I will agree to disagree though, and no way am I going back to any uncharted or FF 7 thread this month.

Any artist using a real person as a base is going to change them just enough for it to be a legal usage though. It happens in every medium and is the reason why "these events are coincidental..." language is included in everything.

But sure, if you think that's a 1:1 recreation of her my opinion isn't going to change yours so it is what it is.

OR! She's just not that well known. Dunno why you going so hard for ND.

But if she's not well known then why does it matter if the character looks similar? Replying to people is going hard now?

Odd thing for you to say when you consider that you're pretty much ascribing what others are saying in a separate thread to what we are saying here. The only thing that you've mentioned that actually relates to the discussion in this thread is that you don't agree that they took her likeness, when clearly they did.

No, I definitely am not. I've replied specifically to things being expressed in this thread. I am not the dude to typically have these kinds of meta thread discussions just like I'm not the dude to drop links to other threads in here like, "look at this."

Everyone that I know that has seen anything that Kandsye has ever done saw it immediately. The game model is obviously aged up and bulked up a bit, but any first year art student would be lying on the stand if they were called up to deny the source. That argument holds as much water as Ellen Page being used even though she's not a freckled faced teenager. And Kandsye ain't exactly a scrub or a nobody. She's very well known to sci fi viewers.

Well your anecdotal squad seems unique considering that this doesn't seem like a topic that was being discussed widely before the thread on Gaming side. Anecdote to Anecdote, I'm a big Sci Fi head and I'm familiar with her work but I didn't think of her at all when I saw that reveal. I don't think she's very well known. Recognizable, sure. But she's still mostly one off appearances or smaller supporting roles for the most part.

TheFlow

Banned
My barber fucked up my lineup. I didn't notice how bad it was until my wife saw it. I didn't look at it good enough due to trusting this dude. It's like he stopped trying to lineup in the middle of it. Smh gotta wait till tomorrow for it to get fixed.
did she roast you pretty hard?

How dare they have that fucking Reese's Pieces star in my sacred Rocky film franchise. Tempting my beautiful wife into salivating at that ripped, chistled fine young chocolate. Making her want to put him in her mouth...honey I'm going out for a film you stay home with the guns!

D i Z

We'll just agree to disagree because we're not going anywhere. You keep saying that she's not the obvious source, but then say that "Any artist using a real person as a base is going to change them just enough for it to be a legal usage". Which is it?

Well your anecdotal squad seems unique considering that this doesn't seem like a topic that was being discussed widely before the thread on Gaming side. Anecdote to Anecdote, I'm a big Sci Fi head and I'm familiar with her work but I didn't think of her at all when I saw that reveal. I don't think she's very well known. Recognizable, sure. But she's still mostly one off appearances or smaller supporting roles for the most part.

I keep forgetting that Gaf is the entire known universe, and that people and communities that have common interests outside of the web simply do not exist. You not thinking that she is well known and immediately recognizable really has nothing to do with anything, but whatever. Obviously other here do, but go ahead any points that are presented when we say otherwise.
She may not be the first on the list of names that come up when you Google "South Africa Actress" (that's Charlize), but she makes the immediate image list, and has features that draw attention from that exclusive line up. Point being, she's obviously regarded higher than what you allot for her popularity.

Shy

How dare they have that fucking Reese's Pieces star in my sacred Rocky film franchise. Tempting my beautiful wife into salivating at that ripped, chistled fine young chocolate. Making her want to put him in her mouth...honey I'm going out for a film you stay home with the guns!
NkP0w17.gif

Top Bottom