• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Shy

ugAiU27.gif

We'll just agree to disagree because we're not going anywhere. You keep saying that she's not the obvious source, but then say that "Any artist using a real person as a base is going to change them just enough for it to be a legal usage". Which is it?

I keep forgetting that Gaf is the entire known universe, and that people and communities that have common interests outside of the web simply do not exist. You not thinking that she is well known and immediately recognizable really has nothing to do with anything, but whatever. Obviously other here do, but go ahead any points that are presented when we say otherwise.
She may not be the first on the list of names that come up when you Google "South Africa Actress" (that's Charlize), but she makes the immediate image list, and has features that draw attention from that exclusive line up. Point being, she's obviously regarded higher than what you allot for her popularity.

I've never said she isn't the source, I've actually said the opposite the whole time.

Nah. They look alike at a glance but not really. I could believe that maybe the artist googled South African actress and used her as a starting point but no further than that really.

That was my first post on the subject and I haven't deviated from that. What my stance has always been is that I don't think the resemblance is close enough to be a lawsuit and I don't think ND is or was intentionally trying to get away with referencing her and not paying her for it.

To break it down plainly, I think there was probably anywhere from a few to a bunch of designs for Nadine, that one being one of them. Neil or whoever decided on that one and the artist never told them what his or her base/inspiration was for the character for whatever reason.

D i Z

Goddamn. Got a flood under my folks house that is going to cost at least 15k to clean up and repair. Anxiety is riding high over the phone, and the bonds of civility within marriage went right the fuck out the window with the amount of verbal abuse they're tossing around at each other.

*deep breath*

Numb

Trump is crazy.
Says stuff and it's his job but won't can't handle the posters too.
Avoiding all his threads

D i Z

That was my first post on the subject and I haven't deviated from that. What my stance has always been is that I don't think the resemblance is close enough to be a lawsuit and I don't think ND is or was intentionally trying to get away with referencing her and not paying her for it.

To break it down plainly, I think there was probably anywhere from a few to a bunch of designs for Nadine, that one being one of them. Neil or whoever decided on that one and the artist never told them what his or her base/inspiration was for the character for whatever reason.

No one here was saying that ND was deliberately trying to use her likeness without paying for it. The concern wasn't about legal ramifications, it was about representation and how incredulous the situation has become.
We're basically on the same page as to how this happened. Just differing on the validity of their claims of them either being completely unaware from top to bottom, or that we're all just making shit up and need to get our eyes fixed. I've been painting and illustrating the human form for a long time. My eyes are fine. Obviously someone in their art department is aware, and it's probably the same chucklehead that got them in trouble for the same thing the last game they put out. Probably would have slipped right by everyone if Kandyse didn't have features that stand out as much as they do.

I am currently rocking that 12 years a slave haircut, but I can't decide if I want a low fade or a big ass mohawk

Haven't been to the barber in maybe 7 weeks and it's at the point where my sister called my hairline out ...

"I didn't know you had a widow's peak, you're normally so edged ..."

No one here was saying that ND was deliberately trying to use her likeness without paying for it. The concern wasn't about legal ramifications, it was about representation and how incredulous the situation has become. We're basically on the same page as to how this happened, just differing on the validity of their claims.

All I can say is go back and read the general discussion as it evolved. Page not getting paid was brought up in reference to this. I brought up that I since I don't think there's legal grounds for a lawsuit, I'm not sure what people are saying or thinking should happen. Someone else brought up a lawsuit again, etc.. etc.. There were plenty of different ideas and stances being expressed about it in this thread over the past couple pages.

Spotify year in review
Top 5 Artists:
1. Nas
2. Janet Jackson
3. Lupe Fiasco
4. Mick Gordon (WTF)
5. Raheem Devaughn

Top Albums
1. Tetsuo and Youth
2. Illmatic
3. Killer Instinct Season 2
4. Stillmatic
5. Love, Sex & Passion

Top Tracks:
1. Can You Stand the Rain (New Edition)
2. The World is Yours (Nas)
3. Boss' Life (Snoop Dogg)
4. Inferno (Mick Gordon)
5. Ain't My Type of Hype (Full Force)

Top Genres
1. Hip-Hop
2. Pop Rap
3. Urban Contemparary
4.Rap
5.R&B

5,300 total minutes
412 total different artists
977 total different tracks.

Didn't realize how much I listened to the killer instinct soundtrack.

LionPride

Banned
I originally was going for this hair when I started growing my hair out form the basic black male starter set:
b6a1efa6b49b1d997ddd59ae0b4cc3f9.jpg

I let it grow too much and didn't cut the top off until much later and almost ended up with Nick Young's hair, until my mom told my barber to cut that shit off and now I just have the fade that makes my mom say I look like Kunta

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's okay y'all, LionPride was just singing the song that ends the earth for a minute, he's okay now.

Hey BCT, what are your thoughts on Supergirl? Worth watching? I haven't seen any of it yet.

D i Z

It's okay y'all, LionPride was just singing the song that ends the earth for a minute, he's okay now.

Hey BCT, what are your thoughts on Supergirl? Worth watching? I haven't seen any of it yet.

Pass. It had a glimmer of promise at premiere, but it's just not good.

I think Supergirl is decent, better than Gotham but not better than SHIELD or Flash or Arrow.

Nah. Not in this, or any other universe.

I gave up on it about 3 eps in. I watch a lot of shows that most people think are terrible (like Syfy's tv shows, etc..) but Supergirl not only had normal "bad show" issues but it also just couldn't keep my attention. For comparison.. Arrow started off just as bad but had interesting enough fights that I kept up with it. Flash is super cheesy but it works for the character and there are key actors to carry the drama on their performances alone. Supergirl is just sort of there. The long term hooks didn't interest me, the cheese didn't work with the characters, and there's no stand out performances.

Maybe it's gotten better since Ep 3.

LionPride

Banned
Pass. It had a glimmer of promise at premiere, but it's just not good.

Nah. Not in this, or any other universe.

I don't like Gotham and unlike other people it ain't because of how they adapt the characters. I like Bruce being a straight savage at 15 years old, I like some aspects of the show but I fucking hate watch it just to see if it can get worse. Every week it constantly got worse to the point where I didn't care that I missed 3-4 episodes and just watched the midseason finale. I normally finish out a season of a show, I aint doing that with Gotham

D i Z

I don't like Gotham and unlike other people it ain't because of how they adapt the characters. I like Bruce being a straight savage at 15 years old, I like some aspects of the show but I fucking hate watch it just to see if it can get worse. Every week it constantly got worse to the point where I didn't care that I missed 3-4 episodes and just watched the midseason finale. I normally finish out a season of a show, I aint doing that with Gotham

It ain't for everyone, that's for sure. Most of season 1 was like pulling teeth just to get through episodes. I like that they've improved in most aspects (even if it's not the direction that a lot of people can get on board with). But it's not objectively bad like Supergirl. I held out hope that they weren't going to bugger it up.

Village

Spotify year in review
to share

Top Artists
1) Damu the Fudgemunk
2) lupe fiasco
3)Wax Tailor
4)Mr Scruff
5)Lonley Island

Albums
1) Testuo and Youth ; Lupe Fiasco
2)Spare Overtime Re-Ispired ; Damu the fudgemunk
3)Anything In return ; toro y moi
4)Phonovisions Symphonic orchestra ; Wax tailor
5)Opus at the end of everything ; the flashbulb

1) 9 summers ago ; Damu the fudgemunk
2) I can't Get my eyes off; Prefuse 73
3) Computer Lover; Zapp
4) Mural ; Lupe Fiaco
5) They.Resurect.Over.New ; Lupe

Top Genres
1)Hiphop
2)Glitch
3)Underground hip hop
4)Trip hop
5)pop rap

Lotta instrumental hip hop. Apperently.

D i Z

Is there anything left to mine at this point for a Civil War 2?

I'd pay for a series about the Marvel villains getting away with shit, and setting up conflicts for the next couple of years while all of the heroes are too busy going at it.

LionPride

Banned
It ain't for everyone, that's for sure. Most of season 1 was like pulling teeth just to get through episodes. I like that they've improved in most aspects (even if it's not the direction that a lot of people can get on board with). But it's not objectively bad like Supergirl. I held out hope that they weren't going to bugger it up.

I believe that Supergirl can improve, at first Gotham season 2 improved then it took a nosedive off a damn cliff

TheFlow

Banned
Is there anything left to mine at this point for a Civil War 2?

I'd pay for a series about the Marvel villains getting away with shit, and setting up conflicts for the next couple of years while all of the heroes are too busy going at it.
I dislike marvel because they overprice and relaunch their books too many times, and cancel the awesome ones. Thanks to COMIC-GAF I am now in love with Doctor Strange.

Spotify Year In Review

Top Artists
1) Future
2) Sleater-Kinney
3) Blood Orange
4) Big Country
5) Shy Girls

Albums
1) DS2 - Future
2) Cupid Deluxe - Blood Orange
3) The Crossing - Big Country
4) 4wz - Shy Girls
5) A.C. - Andre Cymone

Tracks
1) Satisfaction - Andre Cymone
2) Swamp Thing - The Chameleons
3) You're Not Good Enough - Blood Orange
4) Time Will Tell - Blood Orange
5) Compulsion - Martin L. Gore

Top Genres
1) New Wave
2) New Wave Pop
3) Indietronica
4) Alternative Hip Hop
5) Dance Rock

4,874 Minutes
629 Artists
1,214 tracks

So uh... This year has been weird.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kind of interesting how things work out. I have to share this. At work today i was doing my tired ass job and i was thinking about this guy, lets call him junpei and i was beating myself up thinking how i always think of guys who never think of me and just as i am thinking this way, junpei texted my phone. out of the blue and he wants me to go shopping with him on Friday which is interesting because earlier today i had put in to take a half day this Friday. After telling him i will be leaving early he says why dont we catch a movie too. Since then i had this damn smile on my face. Some random guy on the elevator started talking to me and even introduced himself to me as well. he works in the same building. This never happen to me in all my years working at my company. Anyways. thought id just share this.

Kind of interesting how things work out. I have to share this. At work today i was doing my tired ass job and i was thinking about this guy, lets call him junpei and i was beating myself up thinking how i always think of guys who never think of me and just as i am thinking this way, junpei texted my phone. out of the blue and he wants me to go shopping with him on Friday which is interesting because earlier today i had put in to take a half day this Friday. After telling him i will be leaving early he says why dont we catch a movie too. Since then i had this damn smile on my face. Some random guy on the elevator started talking to me and even introduced himself to me as well. he works in the same building. This never happen to me in all my years working at my company. Anyways. thought id just share this.

Good for you!

Numb

B9Um1dC.gif

You know what to do when things get heated
Don't let him sleep on you in bed like some folk

LionPride

Banned

I'm happy for you, I'm positive people have told you this before but when you constantly beat yourself up and have no confidence people can feel that. It seems that you are exuding a feeling of happiness and confidence leading to people talking to you more and more.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Happy days are here again!

Shy

798SN7K.gif

Sp happy for you Jubei. <3

TheFlow

Banned
getting some 50 shades of grey vibes

Mizerman

Sometimes, things just happen for a reason. Good on ya.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
getting some 50 shades of grey vibes

798SN7K.gif

Sp happy for you Jubei. <3

Happy days are here again!

I'm happy for you, I'm positive people have told you this before but when you constantly beat yourself up and have no confidence people can feel that. It seems that you are exuding a feeling of happiness and confidence leading to people talking to you more and more.

B9Um1dC.gif

You know what to do when things get heated
Don't let him sleep on you in bed like some folk

Sometimes, things just happen for a reason. Good on ya.

Good for you!
Thanks. I just hope I go get my hopes up too high. I also forgot to add that I did ask him if I asked him to come with me to my jobs Christmas party would he go and he said. Absolutely. I mean the party was last Saturday and I didn't go but that's ok maybe next year if I am still with this job.

D i Z

Right on!

Order

Nice man. I hope everything goes smooth

So I got my wisdom teeth removed today.

My ascension to the stars is ending. I feel my soul returning to it's vessel.

Bruh, I was high as fuck.

Top Bottom