• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Kreed

OMG did I find blackgaf? Am I home?? :D #BlackGaf

Welcome! We are in the middle of the game discussion cycle right now, but stay tuned for the black discussion cycle, followed closely by the DreamDrop taking things too far, Jandro photo album, and comic book cycles.

Malyse

She did her own work

Canon. That's why she's so much bigger in Desperate Struggle. What do you think she did with all that cash Travis gave her?

Travis would have been so great in Smash. I know there was like no chance of him getting in, But I think Sakurai could have had some fun with him. Make him a character with more extensive throws than anyone else.

Also, Shantae would have been great.

Welcome! We are in the middle of the game discussion cycle right now, but stay tuned for the black discussion cycle, followed closely by the DreamDrop taking things too far, Jandro photo album, and comic book cycles.

I've inserted a cosplay and art part to the cycle.

LionPride

Banned
Sorry to interrupt the cycle, but I got a question. How do y'all feel about being called articulate? I know I personally hate it, just wanted to know other opinions

Bubba T

I thought we were in the anime discussion cycle, or is that ongoing?

Sorry to interrupt the cycle, but I got a question. How do y'all feel about being called articulate? I know I personally hate it, just wanted to know other opinions

It depends on the context. Sometimes I think the person saying it is genuine, sometimes I think it's a code word.

Dai101

Banned

Also Malyse pics that make us hit the watercooler

Malyse

OMG did I find blackgaf? Am I home?? :D #BlackGaf

Fill this out:

Where you're from -
Where you live -
What is your age? -
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy -
Do you know your roots -
Favorite musical genre -
Your profession/major/career interest -
Your religious affiliation -
Hobbies -
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? -
Favorite Disney movie -

:3

Doesn't really bother me, since I'm hella eloquent. I've been on stage since I was 4, singing solos since I was 5, and public speaking since I was 8. *shrug*

I thought we were in the anime discussion cycle, or is that ongoing?

Naw, we're past that already.

The No More Heroes games are D (basically M) rated, so that was probably an obstacle. A lot of stores didn't even carry them at release, I had to get mine through Amazon.

What was Bayo in Japan?

LionPride

Banned
I think I hate being called articulate because I feel like it's code for "Oh, you speak English and don't just use slang!" from white people. When black people notice how I speak they just ask if I'm from up north and I know what they're saying by that.

Jamie Foxx on the #OscarSoWhite controversy had this to say to black actors:"hashtag act better"

I know dude already has an Oscar but I cant remember the last decent movie hes been in. Django?

Walpurgis

Banned
Attention Afro-GAF, I am in need of your assistance.

I've been thinking of attempting to grow an afro. I usually grow my hair for around 4 months and have it shaved to a buzzcut when it becomes too unruly. In other words, I don't know how to take care of hair. My question is, how difficult is it to maintain an afro and are there any preparatory steps to take before making the attempt?
No one here has an afro?

What was Bayo in Japan?

Bayo is D too, but bigger publisher. Marvelous doesn't get that much respect outside of moe otaku circles lol.

I think I hate being called articulate because I feel like it's code for "Oh, you speak English and don't just use slang!" from white people. When black people notice how I speak they just ask if I'm from up north and I know what they're saying by that.

I called someone's post articulate and that started a whole thing-_- I understand why though. It really is just a tier above "well spoken" as far as compliments go, and in this case it wasn't even a compliment it was more like "thanks for taking the time to actually say something."

It generally comes out of people when they didn't expect much out of the other person.

Dai101

Banned
lol..what an asshole. Fuck you, got mine..

CBR0R.png

Slayven

“I was with Sidney Poitier just a couple weeks ago, and in 1963 all he asked for was an opportunity to act,
I can't even./

Sanders gives up on almost all major minority populated states.

His supporters cry why won't they vote for him.... must be a Clinton conspiracy

But Minorities got to put in the work.

Why is empathy such a foreign concept to people....
It dies on the vine when you had yes man surround you for long.

Kreed

Depends on if they are black or not. If they are black my face muscles might move a little bit but it's stopped by the "oh right they're black" filter.

If they aren't black my face goes
YFLgQoE.png
and I wait to see if they clean it up/it's a false alarm. Otherwise we go into a "Ask a black dude" reenactment.

Appearing at the American black film festival awards on Sunday, the Oscar-winner joked that he and Denzel Washington were unimpressed with complaints over the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ failure to nominate a single actor of colour for the second year in a row.

I'd wait for the video.

Depends on if they are black or not. If they are black my face muscles might move a little bit but it's stopped by the "oh right they're black" filter.

If they aren't black my face goes
YFLgQoE.png
and I wait to see if they clean it up/it's a false alarm. Otherwise we go into a "Ask a black dude" reenactment.

I'd wait for the video.

Half of that seemed directed at Will Smith and his Oscar bait movie, but the other half was a dismissive commentary on the controversy. Hes telling black actors they should just be grateful for a shot, like Sydney was. Says the guy who already has an Oscar.

Kreed

Half of that seemed directed at Will Smith and his Oscar bait movie, but the other half was a dismissive commentary on the controversy. Hes telling black actors they should just be grateful for a shot, like Sydney was. Says the guy who already has an Oscar.

Thing is Jamie Foxx is a comedian. It's already a good idea in general to be cautious about articles/news stories that paraphrase or take comments from people out of context, but with comedians you have to be even more cautious since they are making jokes and hearing the joke yourself is important since everything from "how" he said it to how he lead up to the joke are important. It's like someone seeing this bit from Chappelle and then writing an article with the headline "Chappelle says Elizabeth Smart is stupid for being kidnapped.".

Numb

These cycles start and end too quick
All that's left is a sea of horse pics and cosplays in their wake when glancing

Top Bottom