• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Malyse

You know I dislike when people call character stupid or irrational when it makes sense for them to act the way they act within the narrative. I cannot stand it. Its probably just me not being so invested to outright hate a character because I tend to base things on what the plotting gives me instead of the moment to moment things characters do. Idk Shit is stupid.

"__ should die because she's stupid"

"Well she's only doing x because x."

"No she's annoying."
So Skyler from Breaking Bad?
Or Mellie from Scandal?

Hey guys! I found the BlackGaf! I'm so excited! (and the benifits of it being a black thread I don't have to explain what I mean or feel)

Where you're from - Philly
Where you live -Philly
What is your age? -22
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Jamaican
Do you know your roots - As far as I know Jamaican, but I plan on digging deeper in the future.
Favorite musical genre - R&B, POP, Alt
Your profession/major/career interest - IT/Computer
Your religious affiliation - Free, Spiritual
Hobbies - Anime, Video Games, Technology, Afro-Centric life.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeyes
Favorite Disney movie - Lion King, Big Hero 6, Toys Story, (All Disney classics actually)

Welcome bredren

D i Z

You know I dislike when people call character stupid or irrational when it makes sense for them to act the way they act within the narrative. I cannot stand it. Its probably just me not being so invested to outright hate a character because I tend to base things on what the plotting gives me instead of the moment to moment things characters do. Idk Shit is stupid.

"__ should die because she's stupid"

"Well she's only doing x because x."

"No she's annoying."

Is this an Arrow thing?

So you joined the Nation? Where you bowtie and newspaper?
horseingreenhat.jpg

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys! I found the BlackGaf! I'm so excited! (and the benifits of it being a black thread I don't have to explain what I mean or feel)

Where you live -Philly
What is your age? -22
Do you know your roots - As far as I know Jamaican, but I plan on digging deeper in the future.
Favorite Disney movie - Lion King, Big Hero 6, Toys Story, (All Disney classics actually)
Welcome, fellow IT brother!
I see you have superior taste in chicken

LionPride

Banned
It was but its part of a larger problem I have with people can't see the narrative working for the trees.
I sometimes don't like Felicity but I would never spew the hatred that some folks do. People hating on Wally, Skyler, any of these characters because they don't understand the situation is so strange

Anthony Anderson giving his hope speech almost made my ass almost cry.

Gattsu25

Banned
Nearly 20 percent of Trump’s supporters disapprove of Lincoln freeing the slaves
Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189199

That executive order is better known as the Emancipation Proclamation. Thirteen percent of respondents — and "nearly 20 percent of Trump supporters," the Times reports, compared with 5 percent of Marco Rubio's — said they disapproved of it.

It gets even worse. An additional 17 percent of respondents said they weren't sure.
http://www.vox.com/2016/2/24/11105552/trump-supporters-slavery

Blackish has been really good its entire run so far.

Man I really gotta catch up with the show then

I sometimes don't like Felicity but I would never spew the hatred that some folks do. People hating on Wally, Skyler, any of these characters because they don't understand the situation is so strange

I get being frustrated with a character or annoyed but saying a character is "RUINING THE SHOW." Or "I HOPE THEY DIE." Is a little too much for me. The lack of basic empathy or understanding is weird as fuck.

When you pay into a system, but not enough for some people, so they demand to make a list of acceptable things to purchase "on your dime." lol..Been hearing this same old song as long as I've been living.

explain that one

Oh people bitched about M'gann all season 1 because of her catchphrase and her general fish out of water tendencies(She's from Mars breh.) and didn't really understand Earth's social customs. This culminated in a episode where she meets the person she model's her earth form after and she gets chewed out for it and come season 2 she has her own identity for the most part....buuuuut.

Then Season 2 comes along and she get's a little more sadistic using her powers in immoral ways and has trouble separating the villains from the heroes(and in one case almost fucks up a huge plan but that's more someone else's fault anyways) and she learns that she has to reign herself in but this was hinted at in season 1. BUT people still hated her because she was...exactly what they wanted her to be.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Oh people bitched about M'gann all season 1 because of her catchphrase and her general fish out of water tendencies(She's from Mars breh.) and didn't really understand Earth's social customs. This culminated in a episode where she meets the person she model's her earth form after and she gets chewed out for it and come season 2 she has her own identity for the most part....buuuuut.

Then Season 2 comes along and she get's a little more sadistic using her powers in immoral ways and has trouble separating the villains from the heroes(and in one case almost fucks up a huge plan but that's more someone else's fault anyways) and she learns that she has to reign herself in but this was hinted at at season 2. BUT people still hated her because she was...exactly what they wanted her to be.

i dont remember seeing people bitch about her personality for season one. in fact a lot of people loved season one megan. so when she starts mindfucking people when she knows the concequences and even fucks with kon, completely understandable. its the same thing with people giving dick shit for the covert ops shit he was pulling.

People act like folks are styling on some food stamps

Only time that happens is when they sell them and I don't think you can even do that anymore lol

i dont remember seeing people bitch about her personality for season one. in fact a lot of people loved season one megan. so when she starts mindfucking people when she knows the concequences and even fucks with kon, completely understandable. its the same thing with people giving dick shit for the covert ops shit he was pulling.

Which is fine because Dick and Co. were being silly. Same with Miss Martian. But that was all handled and called out in the show itself so it was apart of the narrative. People still thought she was ruining the show though. Dick was untouchable where I frequented.

LionPride

Banned
They didn't even try to give it a "happy ending" or a "moral to the story" or nothing. Respect for that.
I really didn't expect it to tackle this issue like it did. The little amount of comedy was great, Zo being that woman who cares was great, Bo being the optimist, Andre being the cynical one, all the roles they played and Jr. Reading Coates and being woke, just amazing

Slayven

and they totally ripped off Prysm

Prysm.jpg

I wonder if the people who support those things have ever been on an assistance program
Sometimes? Yes. It's actually them projecting. They've done some questionable shit with stamps, which in turn means EVERYONE does the same thing. I know a couple of folks who believe that shit, and say "remember when we were younger?" Yeah, dude..I bought a pack of 25¢ gum so we could get 3 quarters for Street Fighter..in middle school..we were kids..lol.

That dollar every couple of days = people are eating lobster with a crack chaser everyday!

---

MikeBreezy92, fuck that catchphrase..

People act like folks are styling on some food stamps

It's so stupid lol..

andthebeatgoeson

Where you live -Philly
What is your age? -22
Welcome. What part of philly?

If you see Roy, don't go into the bathroom with his employee.

Cheese Wiz or, the correct answer, hell naw?

Mr. Patch

Just saw a clip from from tonight's Black-ish at the part they were talking about Obama. Almost made me shed a tear that shit was so real dawg.

andthebeatgoeson

Isn't it great that we have great, Black actors who have made enough that they can make a statement without worrying about someone cutting them off? Basically Monique's?

Naw, Jamie, they just need to fall in line? I'm hoping it was in a joking fashion.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Which is fine because Dick and Co. were being silly. Same with Miss Martian. But that was all handled and called out in the show itself so it was apart of the narrative. People still thought she was ruining the show though. Dick was untouchable where I frequented.

i never saw people blaming megan for the shows downfall. only the things she was involved in.

That was good. Is the whole episode good? I tried to give blackish a chance, but a particular episode I saw didn't do shit for me.

Isn't it great that we have great, Black actors who have made enough that they can make a statement without worrying about someone cutting them off? Basically Monique's?

Naw, Jamie, they just need to fall in line? I'm hoping it was in a joking fashion.

She still can't get an acting job?

Top Bottom