• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

I can't help but hope that the focus on language/the globe in the Pokemon Direct means Gamefreak plans to go all in the the multiculturalism in this game. More black trainers, Hispanic trainers. Hell, a gym leader in a hijab? NOA will probably break the record of most Bill Maher fans to tweet at one account.

John Boyega Jr. was even in the trailer!

Malyse

The gun nut bullshit is getting old. Five people dead and your first response is "mah guns"? FYAFO.
I can't help but hope that the focus on language/the globe in the Pokemon Direct means Gamefreak plans to go all in the the multiculturalism in this game. More black trainers, Hispanic trainers. Hell, a gym leader in a hijab? NOA will probably break the record of most Bill Maher fans to tweet at one account.

John Boyega Jr. was even in the trailer!

Pokemon is probably the more diverse game series on the planet.
that isn't a fighting game pandering to stereotypes

Ashes

Banned
Hey, I have a question, and an invitation. And I'm very interested in what black gaf has to say on this.

I'm a crappy author on gaf, and I write about characters of every colour and culture on Earth. There simply aren't enough ethnic minorities [western literature context] stories out there; and we have great stories to tell. What do you think of my telling these stories? Specifically of strong black characters. If it makes a difference, I'm an ethnic minority, but not black. And further I'm mostly about commenting on the human condition. Telling the character's truth rather than my own.

From my own perspective, I find race and culture as interesting as gender for example. I'm not a woman, but I find female characters very interesting, and also there really could be more female stories [so to speak], so I write that too.

The invitation is this. If you're an author, and haven't already come by the creative writing thread, and the writing thread OT, please do so. I know its easily missed. Right now, if you live in the UK, there is even a contest in the writing thread for ethnic minorities (by the Guardian, so a pretty major contest), which is pretty rare.

Hey, I have a question, and an invitation. And I'm very interested in what black gaf has to say on this.

I'm a crappy author on gaf, and I write about characters of every colour and culture on Earth. There simply aren't enough ethnic minorities [western literature context] stories out there; and we have great stories to tell. What do you think of my telling these stories? Specifically of strong black characters. If it makes a difference, I'm an ethnic minority, but not black. And further I'm mostly about commenting on the human condition. Telling the character's truth rather than my own.

From my own perspective, I find race and culture as interesting as gender for example. I'm not a woman, but I find female characters very interesting, and also there really could be more female stories [so to speak], so I write that too.

The invitation is this. If you're an author, and haven't already come by the creative writing thread, and the writing thread OT, please do so. I know its easily missed. Right now, if you live in the UK, there is even a contest in the writing thread for ethnic minorities (by the Guardian, so a pretty major contest), which is pretty rare.

Uh, I find that it's okay. We definitely need more stories from people of different backgrounds. I don't find that Writing OT easily missed since it's posted in almost every day. GirlGaf's been around longer, but the posts are less frequent. Some of the music specific ones are lucky to get a page within a year.

Sch1sm

Those of you who own SFV, how's the online for you? I'm... not having the greatest time with it. Like I can have a 5-bar battle lounge and still experience rollback, and this is even with people in my own city, let alone region. Makes it nearly unbearable to play sometimes. Net code is horrendous.

Oh, also, my FighterID is in this email tag, if anyone wants to fight whenever.

Mizerman

Those of you who own SFV, how's the online for you? I'm... not having the greatest time with it. Like I can have a 5-bar battle lounge and still experience rollback, and this is even with people in my own city, let alone region. Makes it nearly unbearable to play sometimes. Net code is horrendous.

Oh, also, my FighterID is in this email tag, if anyone wants to fight whenever.

Well, that's pretty much why I ordered a powerline adapter in the first place. Relying on Wi-Fi in Miami, Florida isn't gonna get me far.

jodie_zpsh5fhwfbt.png

YAS

FUcking Right.

Hell Kimmie Gibbler would get the D.

Malyse

So long as you don't rely on stereotypes, write what you want. I mean, Stephen King isn't a teenage girl and he wrote Carrie; write what you know is a shitty rationale for exclusion. That being said, King also had his wife check him so he didn't fuck up and I suggest you bounce ideas off someone as well.

andthebeatgoeson

today in this kind of thing still happens? wtf!? ... from the NYC camerastore racism thread
Unfortunately.

And ignored. Imagine some other airline flying into New York and trying that shit. Is there an equivalent situation? That article about the Asian cop and different minorities slowly finding their choice might be scary. Selectively voicing opposition may cause harm. Not being outraged is suspect.

Following those links, got me to this:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/2...ks-off-her-msnbc-show-after-pre-emptions.html

Melissa Harris Perry not taking any shit:

“I will not be used as a tool for their purposes,” she wrote. “I am not a token, mammy or little brown bobble head. I am not owned by Lack, Griffin or MSNBC. I love our show. I want it back.”

She walked it back later on but damn. She must be hot.

Imm0rt4l

One of the last pieces of nonfiction I read was about a black woman and the author was white. There's nothing inherently wrong with it. But the book I read, three parts dead, is more sci-fi fantasy. Just don't fallback on stereotypes, make them genuine and if race is absolutely an aspect to the story then be well versed in the nuances. It's easy to let your own privileges cloud your perception of what you think it might be like for this black character.

andthebeatgoeson

You know I find it funny that the public demonizes (mostly minority) people for having marijuana in their system but you have businesses in some states making millions off of it.

You know I find it funny that the public demonizes (mostly minority) people for having marijuana in their system but you have businesses in some states making millions off of it.

I find it funnier that the state's who have legalized it are now making sooo much revenue from taxes..you'd think everyone else would have enough common sense to do the same.

Time.com said:
Pot is a boon for tax revenues in Colorado, outpacing revenue from alcohol taxes in the fiscal year ending on June 30.

Colorado collected almost $70 million in marijuana taxes during that time, nearly double the $42 million collected from alcohol taxes. The state had a tax holiday for marijuana on Wednesday, an event that was welcomed by consumers and producers alike.

The sales tax holiday underscores the sheer productivity of marijuana taxes, Mason Tvert, director of communications for the Marijuana Policy Project, told the Colorado Spring Business Journal.

Meanwhile, these same states that oppose it are cutting funds to schools, welfare programs, and many others which folks in need can't afford to lose.

Slayven

Was there a thread? Probably while I was on break.

I really didn't expect her, of all people, to entertain such bullshit..haven't watch her show since.
And she was the only one that really entertained that shit.

xWQgoaD.png

Wisdom

Crocodile

A) Did anyone here perchance get the Mighty No 9 demo last fall and know how to get it to actually run? Like I see a folder with MN9Game but no exe to run :( Is there something I'm missing?

B) There is too much fuckery going around the past few days so I'm going to pull a play from Malyse's play book and post some good cosplay I came across:

She's cosplaying Emerald Sustrai from RWBY

You can check out more of her cosplay (and her tumblr in general) here.

C) Malyse, have you seen this Kickstarter? Seems like it would be right up your alley.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
posted?

If Straight Outta Compton Was An Oscar Contender recut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_B0kgSh_5s

that music,lol

That took real talent. Seriously I'm blown away.
I wonder what the numbers would have been if this was the actual trailer. Heck this probably was the trailer shown in china.

I need a bar full of drinks after reading this.

I'm legit confused and need Malayse or Dreams or Slay or ANYONE to please help me understand the levels to this. Not trying to clown but.... I DON'T GET IT AND I WANT TO UNDERSTAND.

I know this is gaf and all but that was obviously a troll post. A pretty great one at that.

Holy shit..that music really sells it. I know I'm in the minority here, but I will say, of all the movies ignored for an Oscar, I thought this one was ok for a pass. The acting was blah, and the thing felt like an advertisement..until the end, when it literally became an advertisement. It just wasn't that great..

I kinda agree. It's an enjoyable movie but it's not doing anything groundbreaking. That said I'm sure there were other movies nominated that happen to mediocre as well.

posted?]

If Straight Outta Compton Was An Oscar Contender recut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_B0kgSh_5s

that music,lol

giphy.gif

Holy shit..that music really sells it. I know I'm in the minority here, but I will say, of all the movies ignored for an Oscar, I thought this one was ok for a pass. The acting was blah, and the thing felt like an advertisement..until the end, when it literally became an advertisement. It just wasn't that great..

Infinite

The Dolezal shit made me stop watching. Did she really go off on Star Wars?

You know what, I'm a try and stay away. I've been disappointed with the big media conglomerates. Haven't been to CNN in a minute. Started going to the Guardian and The Atlantic.

I was a fan of hers but that Dolezal shit completely turned me off and I stopped paying attention to her.

In light of this, I went back to listen to an episode of the podcast another round she was a guest on and she basically admitted to making a mistake. She said that she projected her life experiences onto Dolezal. She grew up in the 70s and has a white mom and white half siblings and her mom is from the region of Spokane, Washington. She thinks that then it was safer for a white woman to try to pass as black when she has a black family as opposed to being a walking example of miscegenation. Unfortunately she admits that Dolezal never said anything like this and she forced that narrative on her when she interviewed her. She also brought up having white siblings and that they can experience anti-blackness being her sister but that's neither here nor there.

Does this explain her entertaining Rachel Dolezal's delusions and going full hotep on Star Wars?

Those two moments were severe bald spots in her pretty good public career. Turned a lot of people away from her.

I mean, I get it, when you become a public figure, your mistakes are seen by millions and with current technology, will then be seen by millions more. But she really messed up.

I hope in later projects she doesn't entertain shit like that. Even some of the best social activists have screwed up and gotten read for filth at times. I know James Baldwin did. DuBois earned it with his Talented Tenth bullshit. It'll continue to happen.

But if becomes a consistent problem, then yeah...

Infinite

Those two moments were severe bald spots in her pretty good public career. Turned a lot of people away from her.

I mean, I get it, when you become a public figure, you're mistakes are seen my millions and with current technology, will then be seen by millions more. But she really messed up.

I hope in later projects she doesn't entertain shit like that. Even some of the best social activists have screwed up and gotten read for filth at times. I know James Baldwin did. DuBois earned it with his Talented Tenth bullshit. It'll continue to happen.

But if becomes a consistent problem, then yeah...
Yeah but at least she owned up to making a mistake with the Dolezal thing and I also see why she fell into that trap considering her background and family.

Top Bottom