• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

jmood88

I'm so happy to see this happening. I'm so tired of watching that shit constantly pop up. When did black people get elected to speak for all POC groups?
Other ethnicities don't give a fuck about black people but want us to do all the activist work on their behalf. The shit from Asians is really fucking annoying because the same people I know who are racist as hell and try as hard as possible to align themselves with whites want to whine about not being included when black people start stuff.

CR didn't make that joke though? wasn't it Sacha Baron Cohen? (i didnt watch the oscars)

again this seems like a deflection from who he really needs to confront.

Asian Guy is definitely about POC solidarity. Dude speaks on black issues all the time. So I don't know how to feel about it. I'll read the link he linked to and go from there.

hypernima

Banned
And the sad thing about it is that their can be HUGE movements among asians and latinx's but some asians are still too busy trying to attain the whiteness benefit in america and some latinx's have the similar issues as well with assimilation.

Asian Guy is definitely about POC solidarity. Dude speaks on black issues all the time. So I don't know how to feel about it. I'll read the link he linked to and go from there.

Bingo about Asian Guy. I actually agree with him; it was a shit joke, as was Sacha Baron Cohens stuff.

I hope Chris didn't write that one.

Infinite

The thing is #oscarsowhite has always been inclusive according to its creator. The fault of the media focusing on Black people with their coverage of the issue isn't Chris Rock's fault it's the media's. Why do we hear a peep from nonBlackPOC when it's time to chastise a Black man for not doing enough? Also Chris Rock never aligned himself with the hashtag and he was put in an impossible situation from the get go so he did what he knew best. Chris Rock is a comedian who happens to be outspoken about anti-black racism because that's what he experiences. He isn't a social activist. Idk

Is this the joke in question? Seems like the joke is on the audience and not "lol Asian child labor"

The problem is he opens the joke with "Because we had real things to protest at the time.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBadiCVY-tk&feature=youtu.be&t=136

And then the audience gets really excited, like, "Thank you Chris, you tell those black people!".

I mean it's not a big deal since the rest of his jokes/bits were good, but he could have left that joke out.

They weren't ready for that punchline. I think he enjoyed springing it on them

Kreed

The thing is #oscarsowhite has always been inclusive according to its creator. The fault of the media focusing on black people with their coverage of the issue isn't Chris Rock's fault it's the media's. Why do we hear a peep from nonBlackPOC when it's time to chastise a Black man for not doing enough? Also Chris Rock never aligned himself with the hashtag and he was put in an impossible situation from the get go so he did what he knew best.

^This. When the hashtag first started it was about non White people not being nominated, which is what made it stronger as a hashtag. The "problem" is it's always black people that speak up the most and the loudest in these situations and then we become the focus in the media, with all these other groups at the most going "Yeah I agree" when it isn't just crickets. Like Ming-Na Wen saying Chris Rock should have brought up other minorities. Like comeon lady you are on ABC every week! Why don't YOU use Agents of Shield and say some real shit?

RBH

uzXxxupl.jpg

Kid. Since you seem to agree with the dude, what was it about that joke that was "anti-Asian" again? I don't get it.

I guess the question is, what was it that made it pro-anything?

I mean, I get it, it was meant to play into the fact that we are all complicit in white supremacy in different ways. It also was made to show how out of touch the academy can be, much like the Stacey Dash joke.

Here's the problem with it. It turns into the, "but it's satire!" situation. Is it worth it if the instruments of your joke are the demographics that are usually victims of it (talking child labor here) instead of abusers? For the Stacey joke, it worked for me because it was a deliberate jab at HER, and folks who agree with her. For the kids joke, the joke wasn't aimed that them, but it was using them and stuff their demographic deal with as a prop.

Is that cringe really worth perpetuating the model minority/rich jew stereotypes?

He used anti-asian stereotypes as a platform to get at the academy. Which was unnecessary, ineffective, and just wasn't worth it.

Was he deliberately trying to be anti-asian? No, but that doesn't matter.

Imm0rt4l

Kid. Since you seem to agree with the dude, what was it about that joke that was "anti-Asian" again? I don't get it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=984925738265572&id=100744900016998
Posting LLAG again, he covers n it.

I'm a little ambivalent after reading about this. I didn't watch the oscars. The thing is black folks and especially black comedians are all about self effacing humor, we stay making jokes at our own expense. This thread is evidence enough of that. Maybe had it been ken jeong it to make the joke it would have came across as less mean spirited and just really meta. This is one reasons why Asians and other poc need to be able to find their own voice within the media imo.

Oh, so the use of the word anti-Asian is for disparaging jokes or stereotypes. Ok. I was confused. My brain reads "anti" as against, so my confusion level grew. I actually missed the joke..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It was just a stupid joke given the content he was peddling last night and I'm not talking delicious cookies. Everything else was on point. I just thought it distracted from the message and I knew everyone would be up in arms about that.

lol it was offensive as hell but it's ali g....

aside from the gods chris rock and louis ck the best joke (unintentional though) was playing freaking fight the power over a montage of all the white winners...man that was bizarre.

Kreed

lol you know ain't nobody gonna take sacha's bs seriously.

lol it was offensive as hell but it's ali g....

I'm just saying if you're going to get offended by "something" why not the Ali G joke? That joke was directly taking a jab at Asian people. Whereas IMO, Chris Rock's child labor joke was supposed to be offensive/uncomfortable because child labor is fucked up. I get the facebook comment and what Kid's getting at in the fact that child labor is more serious than Chris Rock's joke and jokes like it make them out to be, but I can't get mad at Chris Rock in this situation because he wanted you to be offended in order to at least talk about it vs trying to get you to laugh at child labor like a Family Guy skit.

I'm just saying if you're going to get offended by "something" why not the Ali G joke? That joke was directly taking a jab at Asian people. Whereas IMO, Chris Rock's child labor joke was supposed to be offensive/uncomfortable because child labor is fucked up. I get the facebook comment and what Kid's getting at in the fact that child labor is more serious than Chris Rock's joke and jokes like it make them out to be, but I can't get mad at Chris Rock in this situation because he wanted you to be offended in order to at least talk about it vs trying to get you to laugh at child labor like a Family Guy skit.

Nah, I can't use Ali G as a deflection for Chris' poor execution.

D i Z

We are talking about poor execution though. It's obvious where it was supposed to land, but it missed just like the Stacey Dash bit. The premise was sound. And really, people are getting offended by it because they can, not because they should. The joke failed because the people that it was supposed to put on blast didn't get it or are used to not caring about such things. And those that should have been behind it got up in their own sensibilities about it. Americans by and large know about child labor and its perils, but they'll be damned if they are going to not get the latest Iphone day one.

Ali G gets a pass because frankly, most viewers don't know why Sasha was even dressed like that, and those that know the character expect that level of crass from him.
For some reason Chris' entire body of work and comedic style gets thrown into the bushes because he's on white folks tv and he's showing everyone their own asses once again.
It wasn't a flawless victory, but he opened up the conversation for a whole lot of people last night. Kind of typical that other POC can't do anything but get their backs up about him putting in work though.

Dai101

Banned
Ha. Chris managed to get in the feathers of the local morning shows. Not surprising in the least.

Yo Gordon! Good to see ya, didn't know what to make from that last post of yours.

the child labor joke was amazing!

especially when you looked at Twitter and saw *gasp* all the people tweeting about it on their smartphones. keikaku and all that jazz.

hypernima

Banned
Ha. Chris managed to get in the feathers of the local morning shows. Not surprising in the least.

Yo Gordon! Good to see ya, didn't know what to make from that last post of yours.

That nigga could drink a cup of coffee on the oscar stage and people would still find something wrong.

It's absolutely awful. If somebody thought I was really good at math just by looking at me, I'd be mad as a motherfucker.
troll.png

it's still not a good stereotype though.

And having known folks who have either killed themselves or attempted to (via depression) to meet stereotypical "high standards" (it's not just Asians who get this, 1st and immigrant Nigerians get it too, among others)

Yeah, not appreciated. Even stereotypes that sound good have really negative affects. Even to those who fit it, but especially those that don't.

Aren't Pakistan and India in Asia? Or is Asian reserved for "looks like me" when she makes this statement?

Ming-Na Wen said:
Yay! An Asian represented in the @Oscars_Live that wasn't some racist joke! Thank you for repping, Byung-hun Lee! 👏👏👏

Pakistani woman won an Oscar. Slumdog dude also presented. And that woman from Quantico. They don't count?

Imm0rt4l

The model minority myth is definitely harmful to asians as well as other poc. They have to contend with a lot of social preasure. Being good at math is probably about as offensive as black people are good dancers. But making light of child labor is disconcerting. Not that it can't be done in the right circumatances and with the right audience. You have to consider how acceptable it is for people to make asian jokes. Combine that with doing so in front of a largely white audience where racial tension has been running high and you got a stew going. It's kinda lame as far as poc wakeup calls go, but I can empathize.

Crocodile

Aren't Pakistan and India in Asia? Or is Asian reserved for "looks like me" when she makes this statement?

Pakistani woman won an Oscar. Slumdog dude also presented. And that woman from Quantico. They don't count?

"Asia" is often used for shorthand of "East Asia" (China, Korea(s), Japan) unfortunately.

Infinite

I don't feel like Chris Rock was making light of child labor. That joke was on the audience, forcing us to face the reality of where our cheap devices are coming from and our complicity in such a horrible thing. You could criticize him for using the Asian kids as props though.

Sent from my iPhone

D i Z

That's a double standard that many East Asians have with including other parts of Asia into the cultural narrative. Southern Asians have historically been disregarded as even being Asian at all. Probably has a lot to do with the British Empire coming in and lumping people into made up territories and erasing pre-existing ones.

Imm0rt4l

I don't feel like Chris Rock was making light of child labor. That joke was on the audience, forcies us to face the reality of where our cheap devices are coming from and our complicity in such a horrible thing. You could criticize him for using the Asian kids as props though.

Sent from my iPhone
I agree, it seemed like meta commentary. Forcing people to reconcile their sensibilities with their actions. Unfortunately the execution made for bad optics.

Dai101

Banned

Way late buddy. In any case

gH7v1kc.gif

I don't feel like Chris Rock was making light of child labor. That joke was on the audience, forcies us to face the reality of where our cheap devices are coming from and our complicity in such a horrible thing. You could criticize him for using the Asian kids as props though.

Sent from my iPhone

EXACTLY.

I will say that i'm surprised how much that bit went throug so much people, but not really.

Top Bottom