• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

lol. Look. If you've never heard the joke, that's fine. You said it yourself. Dude has a shtick. Part of his shtick is misdirection. He was describing an Asian stereotype, then the punchline is something else (minions)..it's very wink wink.

People talk about minion dicks? 😕
I've never seen a minion movie (solo or otherwise) at all and know about it so apparently they talk about it. So it's just my knowledge of they showing it and the joke lead me to thinking it was actually about them being in movies not getting awards plus they were "there" giving away a award

akira28

So a few months ago,(before I had my gaf account) I was getting my haircut at a local barbershop in Massachusetts. I went to a black and Cape Verdean Barbershop.. the most surreal experience of my life..greatest conspiracy of all time.

Part 4: Am I in A Black Dynamite Skit?

He went on to reveal that getting powers from gold was mere chemistry, something that Black people of course, discovered and mastered single-handedly. But this time, he gad proof. He said aloud "Chemistry. What does that sound like?" He then sounded it out. "CHEM-IS-TRY. It can also be pronounced as CHEM-MYSTERY. You then replace the C with a K and you get Khem-Mystery or the Mystery of the Khems. The Khems were an African tribe. Don't you see? The white people were hiding it in front of our faces the entire time! Chemistry belongs to the African people!" At this point I barely stopped myself from bursting into laughter, but even then, I had no idea what was about to happen next.

Wikipedia said:
The word chemistry comes from the word alchemy which was an earlier set of practices that encompassed elements of chemistry, metallurgy, philosophy, astrology, astronomy, mysticism and medicine. The word alchemy in turn is derived from the Arabic word al-kīmīā (الکیمیاء). In origin, the term is borrowed from the Greek χημία or χημεία. This may have Egyptian origins since al-kīmīā is derived from the Greek χημία, which is in turn derived from the word Chemi or Kimi, which is the ancient name of Egypt in Egyptian. Ancient Egypt is commonly referred to as 'km.t', Khem (also spelt Chem), the Egyptian word for "black".
lol

edit: oh yeah and the Khems had a lot of mystery going by the time they were conquered by the Hellenics/Hellenists.

Would say you are old, but Netflix brought those back just last year.
Bugged me out while I was scrolling through shut the other day. Was wondering why?
LYc4Zrk.png

*sigh* FFS Gordon, we all though you were taking a break.

Glad you're not though. <3

GVOGNEW.gif

Noice. Will listen later.

Loving this more regular release schedule.

I remember those. lol
Still trying to figure out what made folks think that lol..

jmood88

I hate when blacks and Asians have beef, it makes me feel I have to choose sides.

I damn near got banished from my dads side of the family for rooting for Floyd Mayweather...
Asian and black disputes always remind me of when I was a kid and my mom told me that other Asians will typically not see me as Asian. Some of the stuff that certain Asians say (Japanese, chinese, and Korean in particular) makes it clear that they have no real interest in addressing racism and would prefer if everyone else would act like them and just not say anything about what happens and/or try to keep it at an individual level and not comment on something being a societal issue.

Also, the black dudes who fawn over Asians and refuse to criticize them annoy the hell out of me. I know some Asian people with black friends who allow them to say all kinds of racist shit around them and get all surprised when I say something about it.

andthebeatgoeson

No minority gives a fuck about any other minority that how that shit goes. Solidarity between Tue disenfranchised can never really last.

Also Hello Culture Thread.

Where you're from - Brooklyn
Where you live - Orlando, Florida
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy -
Do you know your roots - Nope
Your profession/major/career interest - LPN
Your religious affiliation - Baptist by upbringing
Hobbies - Making disingenuous statements, lying, reading comics I can find for under a 1.00, and watching movies
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Churches biscuits, Popeye's chicken, KFC's mashed potatoes

Song of the South.
Slay alt confirmed.

I hate when blacks and Asians have beef, it makes me feel I have to choose sides.

I damn near got banished from my dads side of the family for rooting for Floyd Mayweather...

It really is sad, because we work together so well when we're actually working together. People need to realize that of course the media is going to focus any general equality movement on black people because black/white tension is much easier to exploit, and because black people for better or worse tend to be the most vocal. It should be no surprise given the difference in treatment both past and present but people want to act brand new. With a lot of Hispanics, those that can pass white often do, while harbor in some serious anti-black racism. I lost a childhood friend to that. Some of the worst posters on this board for that are passing. Black people are pretty much the bottom of the totem pole in every other community's eyes, to the point where black suffering is shorthand for suffering in general, yet we're expected to do the leg work for all minorities. Aside from that being asinine as fuck, the main responsibility for fighting a people's fight should be on those people, because they know it best. I wish more Asian posters here would be vocal because it's a perspective we hardly ever get.

Re: the kid accountant thing, I think having actual kids as props is what a lot of people are reacting too. That was a bad call.

cdyhybrid

It really is sad, because we work together so well when we're actually working together. People need to realize that of course the media is going to focus any general equality movement on black people because black/white tension is much easier to exploit, and because black people for better or worse tend to be the most vocal. It should be no surprise given the difference in treatment both past and present but people want to act brand new. With a lot of Hispanics, those that can pass white often do, while harbor in some serious anti-black racism. I lost a childhood friend to that. Some of the worst posters on this board for that are passing. Black people are pretty much the bottom of the totem pole in every other community's eyes, to the point where black suffering is shorthand for suffering in general, yet we're expected to do the leg work for all minorities. Aside from that being asinine as fuck, the main responsibility for fighting a people's fight should be on those people, because they know it best. I wish more Asian posters here would be vocal because it's a perspective we hardly ever get.

Re: the kid accountant thing, I think having actual kids as props is what a lot of people are reacting too. That was a bad call.
I'd be more vocal, but it's just exhausting and/or a waste of time talking to the brick wall that is GAF.

akira28

suddenly there's a great deal of respect for the kids. how dare that black man use them as props in his joke to school greater society

edit: how dare they make fun of Asian sweatshops and Asian math stereotypes, both of which exist and are usually glossed over as a joke so life can go on? But let a black man say it, and the entire country feels comfortable in scolding him and us over this "teachable moment about race". fuck on out of here.

and apparently no one feels comfortable latching on to the jewish part of that joke, it looks like.

cdyhybrid

If we had some posters that were Suey Park/Aggressive Asian/Angry Asian Man/Love Life level, that would be fantastic.
I jump in on threads occasionally, but they usually end up being about issues other than race.

I don't browse OT constantly, but it seems like there just aren't a ton of threads on Asian issues in the first place. Part of that is that the Asian community doesn't have it's shit together when it comes to speaking up about this stuff in general American culture, do you end up having issues largely ignored because people allow them to be. You have some scattered people that do, like the ones you mentioned, but we have a long way to go.

Dai101

Banned
suddenly there's a great deal of respect for the kids. how dare that black man use them as props in his joke to school greater society

edit: how dare they make fun of Asian sweatshops and Asian math stereotypes, both of which exist and are usually glossed over as a joke so life can go on? But let a black man say it, and the entire country feels comfortable in scolding him and us over this "teachable moment about race". fuck on out of here.

and apparently no one feels comfortable latching on to the jewish part of that joke, it looks like.

Is just here, when suddenly folks start caring for free speech (when the kkk is attacked) but not BLM that how dare they block a bridge.

The Adder

Banned
I jump in on threads occasionally, but they usually end up being about issues other than race.

I don't browse OT constantly, but it seems like there just aren't a ton of threads on Asian issues in the first place. Part of that is that the Asian community doesn't have it's shit together when it comes to speaking up about this stuff in general American culture, do you end up having issues largely ignored because people allow them to be. You have some scattered people that do, like the ones you mentioned, but we have a long way to go.

I was banned, so I couldn't say anything, but I was fucking FLABBERGASTED in that topic about the (I think) Kings canceling the shirts for Lunar New Year because they were offensive. At least two actually Asian posters saying it wasn't a big deal and the shirts were bad from the perspective of people who celebrate Lunar New Year and like 50 non-Asian posters screaming at the top of their lungs about how DARE those darkies put their feelings above Asians.

I was banned, so I couldn't say anything, but I was fucking FLABBERGASTED in that topic about the (I think) Kings canceling the shirts for Lunar New Year because they were offensive. At least two actually Asian posters saying it wasn't a big deal and the shirts were bad from the perspective of people who celebrate Lunar New Year and like 50 non-Asian posters screaming at the top of their lungs about how DARE those darkies put their feelings above Asians.

That was pretty dumb though

D i Z

That was a good one. The outrage for a promotion that got it wrong on all fronts to begin with. The nerve of some people to have a problem with monkeys on a promotional basketball shirt...during BHM... and not even during the correct dates for the New Year celebration.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, the whole uproar over removing them was ridiculous. Just put them out another day or something. I don't even know what they ended up doing with it.

And the shirts were ugly anyway

Infinite

I'll say this again, remember when Stephen Colbert used a Asian stereotype to make fun of Daniel Snyder and one Asian woman didn't like the joke and started the hashtag #cancelcolbert. Remember how the Internet came down on her with the power of 10 gamergates? like everyone kinda turned on her. Very similar situation playing out with Chris Rock except now everyone "gets" it for some reason and Chris Rock is the bad guy where Colbert got out of that situation unscathed. Hmm

Johndoey

Banned
I'll say this again, remember when Stephen Colbert used a Asian stereotype to make fun of Daniel Snyder and one Asian woman didn't like the joke and started the hashtag #cancelcolbert. Remember how the Internet came down on her with the power of 10 gamergates? like everyone kinda turned on her. Very similar situation playing out with Chris Rock except now everyone "gets" it for some reason and Chris Rock is the bad guy where Colbert got out of that situation unscathed. Hmm
The joke was tweeted completely out of context on a Twitter account and it was a lot more than one person that got pissed off.

Infinite

The joke was tweeted completely out of context on a Twitter account and it was a lot more than one person that got pissed off.
Suey Park doubled down after she was told the joke was tweeted out of context. She took issue with the one on the show as well. I also remember her getting the full blunt of the force from the anti-PC mafia and not this many people coming to her defense like they are coming out to criticize Chris Rock.

You're misrepresenting what's happening now. Rock's mostly catching it from those same quarters that were active during cancelcolbert and it still won't add up. In fact it'll probably even out with the black/white difference.

Top Bottom