• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Infinite

Yeah, between liberals who like Colbert but aren't big on black people, and black people who like Rock in general, I'd say the difference is split at least on the internet.
Personally I feel there's more criticism thrown Chris Rock's way than Colbert's while Suey Partk had the anti-PC goons harassing her till she took a seemingly permanent break from online activism for daring to challenge Colbert. It was a lot of you "guys don't get comedy!" and paternalistic bullshit ("Colbert is one of the good guys how dare you call him out") from the liberals thrown in the mix too. With Rock, even the anti-PC people seem pretty quiet right now but I guess that's because he isn't talking about not giving speeches to the coddled college kids they dislike so much. Idk The difference here is pretty stark to me.

Personally I feel there's more criticism thrown Chris Rock's way than Colbert's while Suey Partk had the anti-PC goons harassing her till she took a seemingly permanent break from online activism for daring to challenge Colbert. It was a lot of you "guys don't get comedy!" and paternalistic bullshit ("Colbert is one of the good guys how dare you call him out") from the liberals thrown in the mix too. With Rock, even the anti-PC people seem pretty quiet right now but I guess that's because he isn't talking about not giving speeches to the coddled college kids they dislike so much. Idk The difference here is pretty stark to me.

Are you comparing Colbert and Rock or Park and Rock? It's not really clear what your line of thought is from your posts.

Rock's not going to get heat or at least not as much of it, for the same reason Colbert was propped up-a lot of people are indifferent to anti-Asian racism. If someone of Park's level were to come out against Rock, you know pretty much all attacks would flow his or her way.

Shy

I'm a little pissed my fam.

I tried to play Firewatch for the first time today on PC. (I pre-ordered it, just did get round to playing it till now.)
But when i booted it up, it was going completely mental ( controller constantly pulling to the left)

So i went to the forum to look for help, and i see there's a sticky about it. one of which was check that your drivers are up to date.
That isn't the thing the made annoyed. What wound me up is, that this problem has been going on since it's been out apparently.

Now i'm a reasonable fellow (i mean look at my tag) and i don't like to go off complaining like this, but how can you still not have this IMHO major bug fixed yet, ya know.

The worst part is, i can't get a refund cause it's been out longer than two weeks.

Sorry for the poorly articulated rant with horrible grammar.

Infinite

Are you comparing Colbert and Rock or Park and Rock? It's not really clear what your line of thought is from your posts.

Rock's not going to get heat or at least not as much of it, for the same reason Colbert was propped up-a lot of people are indifferent to anti-Asian racism. If someone of Park's level were to come out against Rock, you know pretty much all attacks would flow his or her way.

Ming-na Wen?

I'm comparing both situations in their entirety btw.

I'm going to be completely honest; the Colbert joke from back then didn't sit well with me. I understood where park was coming from and definitely got her criticism of the joke (using anti-Asian racism, which often is trivialized, to explain to us why a team called the red skins is bad) although I felt #cancelcolbert was a tactical misstep. I witness a lot of come down on her real bad on Gaf and elsehwhere for attempting to stand up to the idea of well meaning liberals using anti Asian racism to tell jokes but I don't remember that resonating with people. I saw a lot of people dismiss this concern entirely and no one really coming to park's defense and no one really joining in on the criticism of Colbert's joke which I felt was valid. All the think pieces was pretty much defending Colbert and not being nuanced about this situation and made criticisms look ridiculous. This Chris Rock joke a comparatively less shitty joke imo gets more scrutiny than I remember Colbert getting and the think pieces aren't even rolling in yet. I'm not sure why this . I hope that makes sense now and it's fine if you don't see it the way I do. I'll live.

Malyse

tumblr_o30xkeDVZL1v8jn2xo1_1280.jpg
Don't click this.

Shy

That's shitty, Shy. So there's absolutely nothing you can do?
From what i understand no, just gotta hope the devs get round it eventually.

I hated ranting about, because it made me feel like one of those ignorant people on the net shooting their mouth off about shit they don't know.

I hated ranting about, because it made me feel like one of those ignorant people on the net shooting their mouth off about shit they don't know.

Man, please. You don't complain about anything ever..once ain't a problem.

Johndoey

Banned
Damn that's hot???

Nah it's a real shit situation. Thats not a rant it's a forewarning for buyers.

Any of y'all dropping $800 plus on that HTC Vive?
I would like to but as a broke sonfabitch especially since I'd need a computer to go along with it.

Ming-na Wen?

I'm comparing both situations in their entirety btw.

I'm going to be completely honest; the Colbert joke from back then didn't sit well with me. I understood where park was coming from and definitely got her criticism of the joke (using anti-Asian racism, which often is trivialized, to explain to us why a team called the red skins is bad) although I felt #cancelcolbert was a tactical misstep. I witness a lot of come down on her real bad on Gaf and elsehwhere for attempting to stand up to the idea of well meaning liberals using anti Asian racism to tell jokes but I don't remember that resonating with people. I saw a lot of people dismiss this concern entirely and no one really coming to park's defense and no one really joining in on the criticism of Colbert's joke which I felt was valid. All the think pieces was pretty much defending Colbert and not being nuanced about this situation and made criticisms look ridiculous. This Chris Rock joke a comparatively less shitty joke imo gets more scrutiny than I remember Colbert getting and the think pieces aren't even rolling in yet. I'm not sure why this . I hope that makes sense now and it's fine if you don't see it the way I do. I'll live.

Now now, don't get defensive.

Where are you seeing lots of criticism of Rock's joke? It's only been a day.

I remember the liberal scorn against Park vividly, I followed her on Twitter. Ming-Na Wen is not comparable because she doesn't go nearly as hard as Park and is also starting off from a comparatively higher position. You can't really combine the two situations because there are some fundamentally different levels of power at play for all actors. Chris Rock is black, but he's a longtime successful comedian who is also popular with many (though of course not all) of the people who also liked Colbert. He's also a dude. Ming-Na Wen is a Chinese-American woman, an actress not really known for any strong social position and not afforded the leeway with those that comedians often are. In the Colbert/Park situation, that power discrepancy was much more pronounced as Park isn't even a celebrity.

At any rate, the point of I'm saying is that I don't see this doing anything to Rock like it didn't to Colbert, mostly because of how lightly anti-Asian racism is taken, and I'm agreeing that that's not right. You had a lot of Chapelle syndrome with that audience: people laughing at the joke confidently even when it's on them, because they know that there are no real consequences for it.

Infinite

Now now, don't get defensive.

Where are you seeing lots of criticism of Rock's joke? It's only been a day.

I remember the liberal scorn against Park vividly, I followed her on Twitter. Ming-Na Wen is not comparable because she doesn't go nearly as hard as Park and is also starting off from a comparatively higher position. You can't really combine the two situations because there are some fundamentally different levels of power at play for all actors. Chris Rock is black, but he's a longtime successful comedian who is also popular with many (though of course not all) of the people who also liked Colbert. He's also a dude. Ming-Na Wen is a Chinese-American woman, an actress not really known for any strong social position and not afforded the leeway with those that comedians often are. In the Colbert/Park situation, that power discrepancy was much more pronounced as Park isn't even a celebrity.

At any rate, the point of I'm saying is that I don't see this doing anything to Rock like it didn't to Colbert, mostly because of how lightly anti-Asian racism is taken, and I'm agreeing that that's not right. You had a lot of Chapelle syndrome with that audience: people laughing at the joke confidently even when it's on them, because they know that there are no real consequences for it.
That's fair. Maybe I'm taking the mess from my timeline and extrapolating it further than it needs to go.

Slayven

The Order of St. Dumas popped up going full on ritual craziness and Azrael is showing up soon. So kinda, we'll see where it goes.
Why and do they have the gorilla dna?
Talking to Asians about privilege is as irritating as talking to white people about privilege.

There was a good article last year that talked about how Asians are in a weird place. Like a lot of the old generation tells the new to keep their head down and work hard and get accepted.

Talking to Asians about privilege is as irritating as talking to white people about privilege.

There are a lot of Asian people who don't get any kind of privilege though. You try to frame a discussion in terms of relative privilege, it's easy for people to tune out especially when they feel they're being wronged or actually are being wronged.

(Not sure exactly what subject you were discussing btw)

LionPride

Banned
With Supergirl improving every week I can't find a reason to watch Gotham. Gotham knows it's dumb as shit and I could accept that at first. Now, I just can't.

Slayven

There are a lot of Asian people who don't get any kind of privilege though. You try to frame a discussion in terms of relative privilege, it's easy for people to tune out especially when they feel they're being wronged or actually are being wronged.

(Not sure exactly what subject you were discussing btw)

No one talks about Cambodians, Laotians, and the Vietnamese

lordmrw

I'm a little pissed my fam.

I tried to play Firewatch for the first time today on PC. (I pre-ordered it, just did get round to playing it till now.)
But when i booted it up, it was going completely mental ( controller constantly pulling to the left)

So i went to the forum to look for help, and i see there's a sticky about it. one of which was check that your drivers are up to date.
That isn't the thing the made annoyed. What wound me up is, that this problem has been going on since it's been out apparently.

Now i'm a reasonable fellow (i mean look at my tag) and i don't like to go off complaining like this, but how can you still not have this IMHO major bug fixed yet, ya know.

The worst part is, i can't get a refund cause it's been out longer than two weeks.

Sorry for the poorly articulated rant with horrible grammar.

You just gave me bad memories of when Deus Ex Invisible War came out and the hours I spent on the Eidos forums trying to fix the massive number of issues I had running it.

D i Z

This narrative that Rock is now somehow racist because of the actual work that he did do for Asians last night is starting to bug me.

Dude could have been like "Nah, getting the masses to reflect on their f'ed up stereotypes and the ill treatment of Asians worldwide at the cost of cheap manufacturing ain't any of my business. Let's run another Whoopi skit instead."

D i Z

It's a vocal and misguided minority. Puns are fun.

No lie, give it 3 days. When you are privileged, you get tired quickly about complaining. Before Friday.

True.

What's the net benefit in giving Rock a pass for that joke though? It was flat.

Honestly, in real world terms what is there to be gained?

He doesn't need a pass for the joke, I agree that it was a bust. I'm really not feeling anyone that wants to twist it and read what they want to out of it while simultaneously crying about exclusion from the cause, and backhanding the effort at inclusion all in the same breath.

Top Bottom