• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

zeemumu

Happy bday Dereck.

That's the thing. They shat that bed a long time ago, this timeline doesn't fit anywhere. Some of those Horsemen never were. Characters who wouldn't even be born in that time are the same age as the old school students. It's a complete mess. Hell, characters are doing things that they simply can not do.

Quicksilver and Emma Frost turned up in two different time periods in the same timeline, unless there's another silver-haired speedster and a blonde named Emma that turns into diamond. X-Men Origins did more than screw up Deadpool. They basically diminished major characters to cameos and then we were just supposed to forget they existed.

And Xavier was Patrick Stewart by the time he met Jean and she was like 14. Now he's younger and she's Sansa Stark. How does that work? Did the ripple effect cause her to be born sooner? Is this some Flashpoint shit?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Quicksilver and Emma Frost turned up in two different time periods in the same timeline, unless there's another silver-haired speedster and a blonde named Emma that turns into diamond.

And Xavier was Patrick Stewart by the time he met Jean and she was like 14. Now he's younger and she's Sansa Stark. How does that work? Did the ripple effect cause her to be born sooner? Is this some Flashpoint shit?

I called this nonsenscal stuff out when i saw dofp. For all the drastic changes in the past, its kinda funny how everything lines up similar to the end of x2

Comics shit on continuity and timelines on a regular basis with no major complaints, yet the second a movie does it, and attempts to do so in a way that makes sense, it's all everyone fucking talks about

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh yeah, no complaints at all. I can name a few writers that got death threats who'd love to talk to ya about that.

Easy mode is like JMS, Brian Michael Bendis, and Dan Slott. One More Day and Bendis' Avengers run alone would do it. Nevermind stuff like Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint...

Quicksilver and Emma Frost turned up in two different time periods in the same timeline, unless there's another silver-haired speedster and a blonde named Emma that turns into diamond.

Well, about that...

latest

zeemumu

Okay I'm all done with Jessica Jones. I don't understand how
she didn't think of that "pretend to be mind controlled" plan earlier. That would've been my plan when he first tried to test the upgrade on her.
Overall, good show, though.

Well, about that...

latest

Are you defending X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

*pulls out baseball bat*

she didn't think of that "pretend to be mind controlled" plan earlier. That would've been my plan when he first tried to test the upgrade on her.

*pulls out baseball bat*

Not even. Not ever.

That plan only works when she switches
from wanting evidence to wanting him dead.

Infinite

*pulls out baseball bat*
She had to prove hopes innocence

D i Z

Comics shit on continuity and timelines on a regular basis with no major complaints, yet the second a movie does it, and attempts to do so in a way that makes sense, it's all everyone fucking talks about

Name one instance in any of the FOX Marvel movie franchises when they did this. One.

D i Z

Changing the past changes the future in DOFP. Just because it worked out in a way that all the people we enjoyed were alive and well, which is incredibly convenient, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense

How does it make sense when characters are born in different decades from their previous timeline?

D i Z

How does War Machine or Bruce Banner become a completely different person?

That's not the same thing. Changing actors is not a break in the fiction. They deliberately use Wolverine as an anchor to the universe before the retcon proving that they are still using the continuity. The shift that they implemented doesn't account for characters being alive in the time when their parents hadn't even met yet, or characters being older in the past from their younger selves in the future. There are leaps of logic, and then there is the absence of it.

jmood88

Getting the urge to play Civ 5 again.
I haven't played that in forever. I kept trying to make a Wakanda-like advanced civilization that tried to cut itself off from the rest of the world but I would always have to start branching out to avoid getting destroyed.

LionPride

Banned
I dunno man. Maybe you have weird taste, but AoU was definitely much worse than DOFP

I can be entertained by AoU, DOFP is too boring to watch more than once for me. I may just be sick of J-Law and Wolverine though. Shit aint entertaining to watch. It really makes me hope Deadpool is good and makes money so executives can see that what they do with X-Men aint the only thing they can do

cdyhybrid

I haven't played that in forever. I kept trying to make a Wakanda-like advanced civilization that tried to cut itself off from the rest of the world but I would always have to start branching out to avoid getting destroyed.
Yeah, I typically don't go for Domination wins, but there's always some asshole that wants to start shit, so I end up having to fight regardless.

zeemumu

How does War Machine or Bruce Banner become a completely different person?

They didn't just change actors with Emma and Quicksilver. They changed backstories and characters in general. Emma in Origins was Silverfox's sister and Quicksilver was just some dude chained up in a cage.

Hulk and War Machine are the same character with a different actor.

And both Quicksilver and Emma existed as their first class counterparts BEFORE the timeline changed. You could say that the guy in the cage was just older Quicksilver but what about Emma?

I can be entertained by AoU, DOFP is too boring to watch more than once for me. I may just be sick of J-Law and Wolverine though. Shit aint entertaining to watch. It really makes me hope Deadpool is good and makes money so executives can see that what they do with X-Men aint the only thing they can do

The future parts were interesting to watch because they had some of the most brutal deaths in superhero films.

D i Z

Random thing about the Apocalypse trailer.

For someone so proud to be a mutant, I don't think I saw Mystique blue once.

This might be her "not proud of what she's done" moment, so she gimps herself so that JLaw has more screen time than Mystique.
They've bent over backwards to have her to the detriment of the franchise. And they ain't gonna stop until she decides to not show up anymore.

Of the two, I'd have to put DOFP over AOU. They removed everything that makes Ultron interesting and the rest of the cast was on bland pills or some shit. DOFP at least had 70s hilarity, Tyrion Trask and the mini-Sentinels, and Blink

shingi70

Banned
Not really feeling that X-men trailer. Have no doubt its going to good, but like the BVS trailer it was oddly edited. Doesn't help I'm not a Jlaw fan, she's terrible in these movies, serviceable in Hunger Games, and out of that only thing people use to say she's good is winters bone.

Had a conversation with a co-worker on the subject of College football players getting compensated for playing. My argument is going to tier one schools is the payment, but her's is the NCAA system should pay them since not everyone goes to the NFL or actually get an education.

So I was following my girl on tumblr and she reblogged a post from this movie called Heathers I never heard of. I decided to see if it was on Netflix since ole girl Winona Ryder is in it and to my surprise it was and decided to watch it. About 14 minutes in I wasn't feeling it thinking it was just another flick chick, but from the 80's and then shit went in another direction.
A couple of jocks were jealous of the attention this one guy was getting and decided to walk up to him in the caf and pick on him. This guy replies with a retort and then pulls out a revolver and shoots twice.
I was like whoa.
Next scene revealed that the guy was using blanks. I was slightly disappointed, but intrigued if anything else crazy was going to come up. Unfortunately, the movie went back to feeling like a teen chick flick, but then.... shit brought back the dark and it fucking stayed there. The movie ended seeming like a commentary on suicide and glorifying it. That ended got me something serious. This bitch was dumb as hell for being interested in this guy to begin with and after a while I was suspecting that she was going to go off the deep end too.

Biggest 180 I've ever seen in a movie and a mind fuck. Now I feel like writing.

So I was following my girl on tumblr and she reblogged a post from this movie called Heathers I never heard of. I decided to see if it was on Netflix since ole girl Winona Ryder is in it and to my surprise it was and decided to watch it. About 14 minutes in I wasn't feeling it thinking it was just another flick chick, but from the 80's and then shit went in another direction.
A couple of jocks were jealous of the attention this one guy was getting and decided to walk up to him in the caf and pick on him. This guy replies with a retort and then pulls out a revolver and shoots twice.
I was like whoa.
Next scene revealed that the guy was using blanks. I was slightly disappointed, but intrigued if anything else crazy was going to come up. Unfortunately, the movie went back to feeling like a teen chick flick, but then.... shit brought back the dark and it fucking stayed there. The movie ended seeming like a commentary on suicide and glorifying it. That ended got me something serious. This bitch was dumb as hell for being interested in this guy to begin with and after a while I was suspecting that she was going to go off the deep end too.

Now I feel old as shit lol

LionPride

Banned
Not really feeling that X-men trailer. Have no doubt its going to good, but like the BVS trailer it was oddly edited. Doesn't help I'm not a Jlaw fan, she's terrible in these movies, serviceable in Hunger Games, and out of that only thing people use to say she's good is winters bone.

Had a conversation with a co-worker on the subject of College football players getting compensated for playing. My argument is going to tier one schools is the payment, but her's is the NCAA system should pay them since not everyone goes to the NFL or actually get an education.
I believe that the NCAA should compensate players some way. Not all of em go pro, not all of em succeed, when a player suffers a terrible injury I feel bad knowing that they aint getting paid.

D i Z

I was like whoa.

I've heard for years that Heathers was legit, but I just could never get with it. The 80's high school movie saturation was seriously overbearing for a while.

Shit. Every time I read the name Miles Teller, I get *insert generic actor here* mixed up in some Sons of Anarchy plotline in i my head. I just can't ever keep a face attached to that name.

Enzom21

I was like whoa.

I don't think you have to spoiler tag a movie almost 30 years old.
I saw that movie as a kid... I feel old as shit.

jmood88

Of the two, I'd have to put DOFP over AOU. They removed everything that makes Ultron interesting and the rest of the cast was on bland pills or some shit. DOFP at least had 70s hilarity, Tyrion Trask and the mini-Sentinels, and Blink
Peter Dinklage didn't even act like he wanted to be in the movie. He phoned that role in as much as he did in Destiny.

jmood88

Nah, that's ridiculous. Division 1 college football is a multibillion dollar industry, yet the only people who don't get compensated are the people actually participating in the sport. All this "the scholarship is payment; they get a free education" stuff is nonsense. That year-to-year scholarship costs the school nothing to get away but they get a huge return.

Top Bottom