• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

D i Z

Into Badland's story is cliche as a motherfucker, but them fights, and they got a nigga out here
throwing chi blasts [/B
]is why folks sticking around.

They have to rely on doubles so much for their actors/dancers that it takes me right out of it during the fights. Even when the choreography is on point, the lengths they have to go through to hide faces effectively, and they haven't gotten it down yet. I think they will tighten it up soon enough though.

Watched the first part of Childhoods End. Read the book when I was younger, but barely remember it. Giving it a shot.

Is the Expanse any good?

I watched the first episode of The Expanse last week and liked it a lot. Based on the opener I'm looking forward to watching more.

harSon

Banned
Watched the first part of Childhoods End. Read the book when I was younger, but barely remember it. Giving it a shot.

Is the Expanse any good?

Haven't watched the second episode of Expanse, but the first one was really good. Interesting enough universe and the budget is legit as hell.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'd love to see Superior Spider-Man and Batman go at it each after having a week of prep-time.

Batman would come out on top. When shit gets tough, otto bounces. Batman would go balls out to end superiors shit.

l3YqQz7.png

oh hey, JC added me on XBL

finally got rid of the gorilla gamerpic too...

tumblr_nvh3wd3vKV1tp22cko1_1280.jpg

in favor of the only white dude on fireteam osiris
Nw3duLj.png

Slayven

this, batman will go at any lengths to curb stomp someone. Just read the new52 run of batman to see.
Like the run with Brother I, when he just was like "shit happens" when the killer satilate he built went AWOL?
l3YqQz7.png

oh hey, JC added me on XBL

finally got rid of the gorilla gamerpic too...

tumblr_nvh3wd3vKV1tp22cko1_1280.jpg

in favor of the only white dude on fireteam osiris
Nw3duLj.png
Does the fireteam armors have different abilities?

Anyone have a link or a forum/blog they go to for beard advice? Trying to get into facial hair but I still need one last part to finish connecting so I was hoping to make sure I can stimulate growth if that makes any sense.

jmood88

Anyone have a link or a forum/blog they go to for beard advice? Trying to get into facial hair but I still need one last part to finish connecting so I was hoping to make sure I can stimulate growth if that makes any sense.
I don't know of any forums but if you want to get your beard looking right, make some Saudi friends. Every Saudi dude I know has a perfect beard. They get that shit lined up every week.

Does the fireteam armors have different abilities?

In multiplayer, no, but they do in the story mode. You can unlock their gear to wear in multi but it's only cosmetic. As a fireteam they all share some unique abilities (in contrast to Chief's crew), and they have some unique individual ones. e.g. all of Chief's team have stronger melee attacks and regenerate health faster, but Fireteam Osiris can all hover midair using their jetpacks for longer periods of time. Individually speaking, everyone starts with different equipment and they also have a unique trait or two - Tanaka (bottom-left) starts out with a long-range rifle and has an extended radar, Locke (top-left) starts out with a pistol and bread-and-butter Battle Rifle and also carries an extra grenade, etc.

That being said, outside of very specific encounters / situations, the differences generally don't mean enough to actually warrant a lone character being fought over due to having a major advantage or anything. It'll also specifically override character-specific equipment in a handful of missions to prevent things from getting too easy, e.g. in a mission where the enemies are 90% tanks or walking tanks, Vale (bottom-right) doesn't get her EMP weapon.

EDIT: So, tl;dr equipment changes, but actual "abilities" like jetpacks and groundpounds and shit are consistent across the game. All the equipment / traits make sense in-universe and don't fall prey to usual tropes on a character-to-character basis by virtue of them being tied to the armors themselves. Locke doesn't get lightning powers, etc etc

akira28

Slept on it for the night and I think it's time to dip for the holidays. I've been a member on three different forums, and this is the only one where I felt uncomfortable to the point where I don't even feel like posting anymore. Just gonna take about a month off to cool off and think about some shit. Happy holidays to y'all.

decentralize my dude. and know when to back away. (and know you can always come back, be here when you want to be, etc.)

People in here can play hard, but I would hope that after the slapboxing matches are through, we all remember we came to this corner for a reason.
and that reason is to provide DY_jr with a safe place to be after school since his dad is absent and his momma works the mid-day shift down at the gentleman's club.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
True, but...

Annihilating all Atlantis though? Kicking around his head? OD

they referenced the first time namor flooded the mainland too. no more of this "he wasnt in his right mind" bullshit. its kinda messed up atlantis had to take the hit, but shit was a long time coming

Slayven

In multiplayer, no, but they do in the story mode. You can unlock their gear to wear in multi but it's only cosmetic. As a fireteam they all share some unique abilities (in contrast to Chief's crew), and they have some unique individual ones. e.g. all of Chief's team have stronger melee attacks and regenerate health faster, but Fireteam Osiris can all hover midair using their jetpacks for longer periods of time. Individually speaking, everyone starts with different equipment and they also have a unique trait or two - Tanaka (bottom-left) starts out with a long-range rifle and has an extended radar, Locke (top-left) starts out with a pistol and bread-and-butter Battle Rifle and also carries an extra grenade, etc.

That being said, outside of very specific encounters / situations, the differences generally don't mean enough to actually warrant a lone character being fought over due to having a major advantage or anything. It'll also specifically override character-specific equipment in a handful of missions to prevent things from getting too easy, e.g. in a mission where the enemies are 90% tanks or walking tanks, Vale (bottom-right) doesn't get her EMP weapon.

EDIT: So, tl;dr equipment changes, but actual "abilities" like jetpacks and groundpounds and shit are consistent across the game. All the equipment / traits make sense in-universe and don't fall prey to usual tropes on a character-to-character basis by virtue of them being tied to the armors themselves. Locke doesn't get lightning powers, etc etc
Missed oppurtunty, have they ever tried to put alien tech in the armor?

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/h2l2i...-noah-who-s-actually-supporting-donald-trump-

Surprised nobody slipped up & said "I like Trump cuz he's dumb like me.".
That shit shameful
they referenced the first time namor flooded the mainland too. no more of this "he wasnt in his right mind" bullshit. its kinda messed up atlantis had to take the hit, but shit was a long time coming

Folks love using that excuse, the pheonix only amps what is already in your heart. Like if JC got it, he would use it to cloud folk's minds so he can use expired 2 for 1 coupons.

Or if Bronx got it he would take Cloud out of Smash and put Cid from FF6 in there.

Slept on it for the night and I think it's time to dip for the holidays. I've been a member on three different forums, and this is the only one where I felt uncomfortable to the point where I don't even feel like posting anymore. Just gonna take about a month off to cool off and think about some shit. Happy holidays to y'all.

Happy holidays, Bronx. Don't make it permanent. :/

BTW, if I contributed to this in any way by joking about the shit that went down, apologies. Hope you feel better.

People are dicks? And Spoilers get people tight?

Asshole gamergate like dudes are throwing around Star Wars spoilers all over the place to specifically fuck with liberals, feminists, black people, etc.

And speaking of Star Wars, I'm sorry, but I need to hear some reviews from some black folks. I mean, I'm watching it tomorrow, but I can't trust these reviews about Finn.

The movie opens with a narration describing getting good grades as being white shit and the reason the other characters don't like Malcolm and his two friends.

Truth in fiction. Black kids who went to predominately black/latino schools who got/get good grades and weren't in with the crowd are considered outcasts. If you were into shit like Skateboards you got picked on because it was seen as shit white people are into. Nothing wrong with portraying that.

Missed oppurtunty, have they ever tried to put alien tech in the armor?

Well, you can only choose who you want to play as in co-op, so it was probably more about them not wanting to force you to play things the boring way solo. Also, that's actually been a thing since the original novel: practically all of the high-tech stuff you find in the Spartan armors have been reverse-engineered from alien tech, with the most well-known example being the energy shields being based on these:

450666-jackal.jpg

The closest example to what you're talking about is probably Vale from Halo 5, though. Her armor's pretty heavily based on alien suits, and that EMP weapon I talked about is basically a standard-issue Covenant pistol:

latest

ih_elite+ranger01.jpg

REQ_Card_-_Plasma_Pistol.png

jmood88

Truth in fiction. Black kids who went to predominately black/latino schools who got/get good grades and weren't in with the crowd are considered outcasts. If you were into shit like Skateboards you got picked on because it was seen as shit white people are into. Nothing wrong with portraying that.
It's perpetuating the same bullshit myth that black people are anti-intellectual and aside from the race part of it, the "I do well in school so people don't like me" trope, is cliche and annoying.

zeemumu

Well, you can only choose who you want to play as in co-op, so it was probably more about them not wanting to force you to play things the boring way solo. Also, that's actually been a thing since the original novel: practically all of the high-tech stuff you find in the Spartan armors have been reverse-engineered from alien tech, with the most well-known example being the energy shields being based on these:

450666-jackal.jpg

The closest example to what you're talking about is probably Vale from Halo 5, though. Her armor's pretty heavily based on alien suits, and that EMP weapon I talked about is basically a standard-issue Covenant pistol:

latest

ih_elite+ranger01.jpg

REQ_Card_-_Plasma_Pistol.png

Technically all their shit's forerunner though, right?

Village

Don't tell that to Halo purists. 343 has committed high treason and must commit honorable suicide to make things whole.
I have that argument more than i care to remember. I really like the changes they have made to the armor. And the aesthetic in general.
On the flip while i cant say bungies handling of destiny has been the best, i will say the outfits and aestetic in thatlt game is also top notch.

I really enjoy battle suits, more than say mobile suits. There something more human when its more human sized. Especially with the customisation elements.

Technically all their shit's forerunner though, right?

Human tech is reverse-engineered from Covenant tech, which is Forerunner, which is Precursor...

Sometime between the Bungie / 343 switchup humanity took out the middleman and just started repurposing Forerunner tech, though. Around that time they also stopped trying to explain Covenant shit and made it out to be space magic. The Reach LE journal notes one of the weapons has interacting, moving parts that aren't connected through any visible means - physical connections, nothing electromagnetic, nothing radiation-based, etc.

I have that argument more than i care to remember. I really like the changes they have made to the armor. And the aesthetic in general.
On the flip while i cant say bungies handling of destiny has been the best, i will say the outfits and aestetic in thatlt game is also top notch.

I really enjoy battle suits, more than say mobile suits. There something more human when its more human sized. Especially with the customisation elements.

Same. My favorite term for it is probably "Power Suit," though.

tumblr_n11owc4UkJ1qzp9weo3_r2_1280.jpg

It's perpetuating the same bullshit myth that black people are anti-intellectual and aside from the race part of it, the "I do well in school so people don't like me" trope, is cliche and annoying.

I think you're reading too far into something that isn't really shown in the movie proper anyways since most of the cast is smart as hell. Its just a reason(that still happens to this day in schools) kids get picked on. In fact its one of the reasons ASAP Rocky's character is so good.

From what I read Forerunners seem to Guardians of THe Universe level assholes. Like they cause more shit then they fix.

Their reach is only really galaxy-wide, but yeah. Pretty common recurring theme in 343-era times is that these hyper-civilizations basically run the show only to be taken out by ignorance and/or hubris.

Slayven

Human tech is reverse-engineered from Covenant tech, which is Forerunner, which is Precursor...

Sometime between the Bungie / 343 switchup humanity took out the middleman and just started repurposing Forerunner tech, though. Around that time they also stopped trying to explain Covenant shit and made it out to be space magic. The Reach LE journal notes one of the weapons has interacting, moving parts that aren't connected through any visible means - physical connections, nothing electromagnetic, nothing radiation-based, etc.

Same. My favorite term for it is probably "Power Suit," though.

tumblr_n11owc4UkJ1qzp9weo3_r2_1280.jpg

They ever explain why she can turn into a little ball?

Top Bottom