• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Young Magus

*listens to Wu-Tang once*

CWdERShUkAAiWVy.jpg

Also related,
Sometimes I love the FBI's twitter

Maybe word got around that portraying an African with the full accent is some kind of major acting achievement for African American actors.

Because UK brothas can put their foot in an American accent and sell it hard (see Idris Elba, David Oyelowo, and many others). Hell, UK actors in general are way better at accents than most American actors (Hugh Laurie, Gary Oldman, and many others).

This is why Forest Whitaker is a national treasure, and ya'll better stop messing with him.

(okay i laughed too)

Lol someone just called me out for being a junior because he didn't like what I said.
To be fair, sometimes the stupidest shit comes from junior members. I don't like the saying, but I've been proven wrong so many times over the years =|

I think it might be some people forgetting that this board ain't the same as the shit they're used to.

andthebeatgoeson

To be fair, sometimes the stupidest shit comes from junior members. I don't like the saying, but I've been proven wrong so many times over the years =|

I think it might be some people forgetting that this board ain't the same as the shit they're used to.
Tis true.
And since the board is moderated more, some everyday thoughts are not tolerated... For good reason.

jmood88

Question what was your movie of the year Black Gaf?

Right now my Top 5 in no order are:

Creed
Dope
Mad Max
Straight Outta Compton
Beasts of No Nation

Still Yet to See
The Martian
Star Wars
The Hateful 8
Selma

Creed
Straight Outta Compton
99 Homes
Spy
Ant-Man
Ex-Machina

Yeah, I'm going to have to not have conversations about Star Wars: TFA around certain cats.

I really really liked it. My fears about Finn, after I let go of those marketing related expectations, were misguided. But there will be stuff that will be a divisive for a bit.

Slayven

Yeah, I'm going to have to not have conversations about Star Wars: TFA around certain cats.

I really really liked it. My fears about Finn, after I let go of those marketing related expectations, were misguided. But there will be stuff that will be a divisive for a bit.

as long as they don't have kill him or have him shucking and jiving they good. God willing he will be a fixture of Star Wars for years to come.

andthebeatgoeson

I really really liked it. My fears about Finn, after I let go of those marketing related expectations, were misguided.
But there will be stuff that will be a divisive for a bit.
Good to hear. I'm going to see it no matter what, at this point.

Top movies:
Straight out of Compton
Ex Machina
Ant Man
Mad Max
Avengers

Having trouble kicking some of those off and not including Pixar's movies.

Removed MI. Good movie but I don't remember much and I'm just stanning for the cruise.

Trey

Question what was your movie of the year Black Gaf?

Right now my Top 5 in no order are:

Creed
Dope
Mad Max
Straight Outta Compton
Beasts of No Nation

Still Yet to See
The Martian
Star Wars
The Hateful 8
Selma

Fury Road

Creed
Selma
Kingsman

The Martian
Ex Machina
Straight Outta Compton
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Age of Ultron
Jurassic Park
Fantastic Four
Furious 7

I still have a bunch I need to see.

shingi70

Banned
It always amuses me when a japanese dev says they admire something western, the weeboos freak out.

That Xenoblade thread was entertaining.

So talking race and Star Wars, its a shame no one mentions that four of the new eu books all had protagonists who were people of color and all women to boot.

Fuck that certain point of view bs.

So talking race and Star Wars, its a shame no one mentions that four of the new eu books all had protagonists who were people of color and all women to boot.

I'm going to be pissy for the next month about this. Because I KNOW some dudes, and I am this primarily at black men, are going to be pitching fits without context.

I know this because I've already seen some of it elsewhere. I could go on a rant about how fragile some dude's egos are, and how it plays into never wanting to see characters that look like you be either vulnerable beyond what is deemed "acceptable flaws" or incompetent in any way, and how that limits black male characters, but...

Forget it.

shingi70

Banned
I'm going to be pissy for the next month about this. Because I KNOW some dudes, and I am this primarily at black men, are going to be pitching fits without context.

I know this because I've already seen some of it elsewhere. I could go on a rant about how fragile some dude's egos are, and how it plays into never wanting to see characters that look like you be either vulnerable beyond what is deemed "acceptable flaws" or incompetent in any way, and how that limits black male characters, but...

Forget it.

Take Miles and Cyborg I like both of those characters simply because their refreshingly boring.

Slayven

For all it's fuckery the EU was pretty diverse

ApharmdX

Banned
So Finn...
he's a good, selfless character, and we see that demonstrated multiple times in TFA. Boyega does a good job portraying him. But is anyone else unhappy with how his character was used in the film? I think he was a bit under-used, certainly he's not a co-lead, which is what I feared. The problem, and I said this after the trailers, is that in Star Wars it's the Force users who really determine things. I'm hopeful about Finn's role in future films, as they left his role pretty open, but in TFA, I was disappointed. Is he going to be Han Solo to Rey's Luke? Will they be brave enough to continue the romantic angle? I mean there's no sibling relationship to kill that. It would be great to have an overarching romantic subplot in the new movies between these two.

JLynn

Man Spy was unexpectedly fun and funny as fuck! My fiancée loved the hell out of it and she big ups the movie like I do Antman nowadays. She freaked when I told her the same people are doing the new Ghostbusters.

Which convinces me that those who are hating on it has never seen Spy or Bridesmaids. Hell, they never saw an episode of Freaks & Geeks. Bitches don't know Paul Feig has kid gloves stashed in his three piece double breasted suits.

ApharmdX

Banned
Oh this film is gonna make some Hotep's, never mind incite them. Insecurities coming out the woodworks.

I may say all of that, but I'm not cool with everything done in the movie. Like Finn could have beaten that Stormtrooper at least.

Nah, it's another example of "always the bridesmaid, never the bride". Some of us are tired of taking L's.
At least they left Finn's character open, and he gets to beat one startled Stormtrooper with a lightsaber, so there's that. I mean, they could do great things with him. So far he's not really like any other character from the prequels or the original trilogy.

TheFlow

Banned
Man Spy was unexpectedly fun and funny as fuck! My fiancée loved the hell out of it and she big ups the movie like I do Antman nowadays. She freaked when I told her the same people are doing the new Ghostbusters.

Which convinces me that those who are hating on it has never seen Spy or Bridesmaids. Hell, they never saw an episode of Freaks & Geeks. Bitches don't know Paul Feig has kid gloves stashed in his three piece double breasted suits.
Spy was the funniest movie of the year, and second best spy movie. I demand a sequel

Infinite

Man I refuse to go into any Ghostbusters thread, they make Waries look sane
Why are dudes hurt by this fucking movie? Reading discussion on it feels like I'm in a Anita Sarkeesian where they know saying "lame es jay double yous and feminazis" will get you banned so they dance around actually saying it.

ApharmdX

Banned
Why are dudes hurt by this fucking movie? Reading discussion on it feels like I'm in a Anita Sarkeesian where they know saying "lame es jay double yous and feminazis" will get you banned so they dance around actually saying it.

Are people really that mad about Ghost Busters? The new one looks decent. I mean, the first one was a boy's club, so having the new one be kind of a girl's club is a fun reversal.

jmood88

I was really surprised at how much I liked Spy cause I was starting to get tired of Melissa McCarthy but Spy was fucking hilarious. And yeah, Paul Feig is great.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Are people really that mad about Ghost Busters? The new one looks decent. I mean, the first one was a boy's club, so having the new one be kind of a girl's club is a fun reversal.

Uh, it's not a fun reversal. Clearly it is an attack on all masculinity in general and any man who liked the first Ghostbusters in particular.

Top Bottom