• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Exokell

Banned
Was flirting with this black girl, asked what's her favorite movie? She said "belly". Went " huh?" And then straight to Google. Later she started talking about new 50 cent show. Felt lost as fuck.

TheFlow

Banned
Was flirting with this black girl, asked what's her favorite movie? She said "belly". Went " huh?" And then straight to Google. Later she started talking about new 50 cent show. Felt lost as fuck.
you know someone is hood when they say belly is there favorite film.

hype williams never made another movie after belly.

the best dmx movie is romeo must die anyways. followed by cradle 2 the grave (mostly because of that amazing soundtrack...x gon give it to ya AND go to sleep..god damn)

dat back to back jet li/dmx pair of movies. when is that trend of an asian martial arts star and rapper going to come back?

get the guy from the raid and drake in a movie. (okay maybe not drake even though he's got more acting experience, but i can't really think of any newer rappers who would work either. perhaps....freddie gibbs even though he doesn't have the commercial popularity dmx had)

Africanus

How can someone not like this dude. He is proud to be black has great taste in women and just a good guy all around. I'll watch Star Wars just to support this man.

Everyday still amazed a fellow Nigerian and a black man has a major role in Star Wars. He comes across as very likeable.

---

Got Battlefront. It's actually a pretty neat game. I feel the tokens could have been done better (especially in regards to vehicles) but otherwise I like it.

Kreed

In general when I watch films I don't really think about the director/script writer saying and writing the lines for these films vs the characters in these films (Ex: In the new Star Wars film, not once did I think about J. J. Abrams saying lines vs Finn, Rey, etc...). Even though I recognize Lee and others points about Tarantino obviously writing these lines and having actors say and use the N word so much, outside of "Dead Nigga Storage" it just doesn't resonate with me as a "problem" and probably never will as long as it's coming out of the mouths of characters like Django and not Tarantino, even if he is behind both instances. The continued use of the N-word in TV and music has always been about who's saying it and how it sounds coming out of that person's mouth. As long as Tarantino's characters don't break that rule, I don't think it will ever be seen as an issue outside of people who think about the writer and character connections.

andthebeatgoeson

Who's the guy singing the cover for Adele's Hello? V103 in Atlanta plays it every now and then and I'm not trying to hear that. Damn, her song just dropped. There is no remix, is just another voice.

Bubba T

Three semesters left in school (including summer) and I'm kind of worried I won't find a job in public accounting. On paper everyone says I look great, but I feel I won't get in because my school isn't competitive.

Eh, guess I gotta hustle to get an interview.

Who's the guy singing the cover for Adele's Hello? V103 in Atlanta plays it every now and then and I'm not trying to hear that. Damn, her song just dropped. There is no remix, is just another voice.

Probably

pliers-1.jpg

You'd think he got the word out of his system with Django.

This is a good piece. And I think there's definitely something to the theory that he thinks he has a blackness about him. This is especially funny for anyone who's seen his interview on 106 and park. So. Much. Cringe.

You can tell even from Reservoir Dogs that Quentin Tarentino wants to be with the "tough" guys, hanging out and talking shit. And yeah, he wants badly to be black.

Pulp Fiction is so telling. Four ways "nigger" is used:

1) A term of solidarity or just to mean a man (Samuel L. Jackson's dialogue is a prime example)

2) A racial slur (see Eric Stoltz's character)

3) A demonstration of a power dynamic, with racial overtones (when Ving Rhames tells
Bruce Willis to take a dive)

4) Whatever the hell Tarentino is doing with his "Dead Nigger Storage" speech.

Seriously. What the hell was he trying with the DNS speech? It looks like he's trying to come across as just another brother, but also as a tough guy (SLJ is clearly acting intimidated, proving that the man is a great actor). And yet, Quentin Tarentino sounds like a whiny ass racist with a coffee fetish. Real life Samuel L. Jackson would have told him to shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down. And QT would have followed orders.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
In general when I watch films I don't really think about the director/script writer saying and writing the lines for these films vs the characters in these films (Ex: In the new Star Wars film, not once did I think about J. J. Abrams saying lines vs Finn, Rey, etc...). Even though I recognize Lee and others points about Tarantino obviously writing these lines and having actors say and use the N word so much, outside of "Dead Nigga Storage" it just doesn't resonate with me as a "problem" and probably never will as long as it's coming out of the mouths of characters like Django and not Tarantino, even if he is behind both instances. The continued use of the N-word in TV and music has always been about who's saying it and how it sounds coming out of that person's mouth. As long as Tarantino's characters don't break that rule, I don't think it will ever be seen as an issue outside of people who think about the writer and character connections.

Yeah I have to agree with this and tbh the dead nigga storage line kinda gets a pass from me as well because of context of that scenario. QT doesn't have hood pass but the dialogue from his movies have yet to offened me but I don't speak for others.

Seriously. What the hell was he trying with the DNS speech? It looks like he's trying to come across as just another brother, but also as a tough guy (SLJ is clearly acting intimidated, proving that the man is a great actor). And yet, Quentin Tarentino sounds like a whiny ass racist with a coffee fetish. Real life Samuel L. Jackson would have told him to shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down. And QT would have followed orders
that character Jimmy thought he had a hood pass cause he was friends with Jules and had a black wife. Any average person would be going ape shit as well if dead body got brought to their house in the morning. Jules was Sol and had no choice atm but to take the abuse in order to get the situation resolved. Many may not agree with the scene but context was reasonable.

harSon

Banned
]In general when I watch films I don't really think about the director/script writer saying and writing the lines for these films vs the characters in these films (Ex: In the new Star Wars film, not once did I think about J. J. Abrams saying lines vs Finn, Rey, etc...).[/B] Even though I recognize Lee and others points about Tarantino obviously writing these lines and having actors say and use the N word so much, outside of "Dead Nigga Storage" it just doesn't resonate with me as a "problem" and probably never will as long as it's coming out of the mouths of characters like Django and not Tarantino, even if he is behind both instances. The continued use of the N-word in TV and music has always been about who's saying it and how it sounds coming out of that person's mouth. As long as Tarantino's characters don't break that rule, I don't think it will ever be seen as an issue outside of people who think about the writer and character connections.

I'd typically agree with this point, but I don't think this works with Tarantino. He has an extremely distinct and noticeable writing style, especially in terms of the way his characters talk. It doesn't matter what gender, race, genre or historical era his characters inhabit - his characters all generally "speak" the same as far as their vocal mannerisms, cadence and vocabulary are concerned. It's no coincidence that this is the way he actually speaks in real life. He's one of the few screenwriters you can literally hear through the characters to an almost distracting extent. I could pick up a script without knowing Tarantino had written and tell you within 2 pages that he had written it. I don't think you get that with JJ Abrams. I just don't think you can separate the art from the artist in this case.

I love blaxploitation as much as the next person, but I can't get down with someone whose entire viewpoint of black characters seems to exclusively be lifted from one of the most ignorant and hypermasculine periods in cinema for black characters.

Edit: Here's a video of all usages of the word nigger by Tarantino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5REfYPlGJk It's 18 minutes long. Just sayin'

Top Bottom