• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

I don't watch enough Tarantino to notice what you're describing while watching his movies but I definitely believe you based on what I know about Tarantino. That said, when I see that video you posted and see Samuel L Jackson or Ving Rhames saying the N word, it just doesn't register as a problem unless I "think" about Tarantino writing it. It's when Tarantino and other white actors in the video say the word that my mind goes "Database Error. The database has encountered a problem".

I'm DEEPLY conflicted when it comes to Tarantino. As a filmmaker and writer, I love this guy. I love his movies. As a black man, there's always ONE scene in every movie that shows his deep-seeded...something...fear? I don't know what it is. It's like Howard Stern. Same issue. There's something underlying that they simply cannot hide when it comes to black men. It's a mix of thinking that we're cool, but also fearful. It's troubling and muddies my enjoyment of his work because he's an amazing filmmaker, but fuck this dude in the same breath.

I remember being in college watching True Romance. Again, LOVE the movie but the scene when the father is killed and this 'heroic' character's last breath of defiance is to call his killer a descendant of black men (which is apparently the DEEPEST INSULT), only for the killer to be so offended but so respectful that he HAS to kill this guy in the worst possible way...

It was very painful as a black man to watch because the insult just rings no matter what happens on screen. And again, and again with EVERY Tarantino movie there's always one scene, one unnecessary out of place jab that pokes out and rears it's ugly head full of QT's deep issues.

When you guys watch Hateful Eight (a fantastic movie), you'll know what I'm talking about. Once again, here's an out of place scene playing on the fear of black masculinity, power, and homosexuality. Every time there's SOMETHING. And this wasn't even the movie that bothered me with the use of the word N.

Don't get me started on Django. It's the one QT movie that I can't watch without getting angry.

Shy

So guys, it's the 24th on Brazil. Merry Christmas to everyone here!
And to you Pedro.
Yo man this Steam controller is legit. I'm browsing BCT with it right now.
The ergonomics of the controller hurt my hand. :(
So watching Star Wars and before the movie starts I'm greeted by this trailer

.........nah bruv. Bout to cause a fuss
Dem twitch fibres. *rolls eyes*

The one thing that we can all look forward to from this film is, the So well spoken commentary track that will get made.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So watching Star Wars and before the movie starts I'm greeted by this trailer

http://youtu.be/hZ7UWjRYcfs

VtO8rAQ.jpg

lV3PRke.jpg

.........nah bruv. Bout to cause a fuss

And people swear this ain't racist...

shingi70

Banned
Why is despite having the Democratic nomination on lock Clintions Campgian is so embarrassing with its pandering to younger and minorty demographics.

Listening to Serial and I can't understand Bergdahl's side of the story at all.

so i've been out in LA enjoying my time regardless of not being able to meet with a couple of friends i know out here, but i have to break my gaf silence to talk about a burning matter

I saw a Taco Bell & KFC combination right next door to a Burger King.

What is this? What is this madness? What is this fast food witchcraft I spotted while being driven back from a go kart track?

Who said this was okay?

White Castle/Church's is the best combo.

Crocodile

Finally saw Star Wars 7. It was ok-good. Not great but not terrible.

About Finn:
Given how the conversation seemed to be going earlier, I thought he might have gotten short changed but I thought the film did him justice. Good character and good arc. Looking forward to him getting back into the action next film.

About Rey:
I like her but I think I kind of do agree that she seemed "too good". Not a "Mary Sue" but definitely a goody goody to a kind of boring degree and unusually adept at a lot of things including force powers given what little we know of her background. I hope the next films fill out her character.

About Han:
So I know there were murmurs that Ford was kind of tired of Star Wars. Did he have any role in pushing for his own character to be killed off?

About the Villains:
Phasma barely got to do anything, Kyko Ren completely fell apart (and not in an engaging or satisfying way), "Young Hitler" was whatever and where the hell did this Snoke guy come from? A weak villain cast IMO :/

About the Plot:
Why did they decide to basically remake A New Hope? Is the Empire still in charge (now know as the First Order), or are they just a faction among many others. That is to say did the Empire shrink/disband with the First Order being one of the cells or did the Empire just have a name change? Since there is still a Resistance I'm assuming the Empire is still intact but I didn't feel that was clear in the film.

Decided to start watching Steven Universe because why not.

It's okay so far. It's... pleasant.

This music stood out.

Don't let the hype get to you and maybe affect your enjoyment of the show. A bit too many people act like the show is God's gift to TV/Animation/etc. and its not. It's still very good though.

Nah. Garnet's the best. Pearl is the worst gem tho

Correct opinion.

Don't get me started on Django. It's the one QT movie that I can't watch without getting angry.

What was wrong with Django? I remember leaving the movie theater pretty satisfied. Was there some thing(s) I missed?

FyreWulff

4" of snow out of nowhere and growing and almost got destroyed by 3 pickups on the way home

fuck everyone that wanted snow on christmas

Well I got this piece of work now, so it looks like I won't be getting kicked out my home, so I'll still be here on BCT. I was worried for a while there that I was going to end up homeless.

Well I got this piece of work now, so it looks like I won't be getting kicked out my home, so I'll still be here on BCT. I was worried for a while there that I was going to end up homeless.

What are you doing?

btw, forgot to get back to you near the end of OT12 - I admittedly haven't listened to Sammus' stuff as much as I'd want to, but Smash Bruhs is one of my favorites just because of how well the Tourian theme and beat go with actual lyrics. A Woman's probably got my favorite lyrics, Lovesong has a really cute original theme, and I can appreciate Power-Ups by virtue of stretching out a fanfare across an entire track and making it work, on a similar level to what Team Teamwork did with Still D.R.E. / Getting Treasure.

jmood88

The hardcore VR evangelists are going to be pretty upset when the technology ends up remaining a niche thing because no one can afford any of the products.

Slayven

The hardcore VR evangelists are going to be pretty upset when the technology ends up remaining a niche thing because no one can afford any of the products.

Yeah i was reading those threads. It's an echo chamber, shit is just too expensive and unweildy for mainstream adoption.

You mean not everyone has a 2 400 dollar gfx cards in their computers?

Kreed

I'm DEEPLY conflicted when it comes to Tarantino. As a filmmaker and writer, I love this guy. I love his movies. As a black man, there's always ONE scene in every movie that shows his deep-seeded...something...fear? I don't know what it is. It's like Howard Stern. Same issue. There's something underlying that they simply cannot hide when it comes to black men. It's a mix of thinking that we're cool, but also fearful. It's troubling and muddies my enjoyment of his work because he's an amazing filmmaker, but fuck this dude in the same breath.

I remember being in college watching True Romance. Again, LOVE the movie but the scene when the father is killed and this 'heroic' character's last breath of defiance is to call his killer a descendant of black men (which is apparently the DEEPEST INSULT), only for the killer to be so offended but so respectful that he HAS to kill this guy in the worst possible way...

It was very painful as a black man to watch because the insult just rings no matter what happens on screen. And again, and again with EVERY Tarantino movie there's always one scene, one unnecessary out of place jab that pokes out and rears it's ugly head full of QT's deep issues.

When you guys watch Hateful Eight (a fantastic movie), you'll know what I'm talking about. Once again, here's an out of place scene playing on the fear of black masculinity, power, and homosexuality. Every time there's SOMETHING. And this wasn't even the movie that bothered me with the use of the word N.

When I watch movies I only think of the film maker when a movie has something that's their well known "trademark". Example, when I see a Transformers Movie, I only think of Michael Bay when I see too many explosions or in a Tyler Perry film, I'll remember it's a Tyler Perry film when I see an evil dark skinned brother. Lines of dialogue, what a character's wearing, etc... when I'm watching a movie those characters are those characters. Like when I'm watching the Avengers, Jarvis is a computer that talks to Robert Dowey Jr. He's not a bunch of lines read by a guy with a microphone off screen. Of course certain actors can break me out of this illusion (Will Smith is always Will Smith for example) but for the most part I immerse myself into the entertainment, and Tarantino's movies do the same thing most of the time.

And honestly I'm glad my mind works like this. You re-describing these films and scenes to me fucks up a lot of these movies when I think in the same lines (hell not just Tarantino films like Django Unchained, but other films like 12 Years a Slave). That said, I do believe you and others are right to for your criticisms. I was planning on seeing the Hateful Eight though, so I'll probably look for what you're describing.

Slay taking lessons from JC, SMFH

Glad to hear it!
Thank you.

What are you doing?

btw, forgot to get back to you near the end of OT12 - I admittedly haven't listened to Sammus' stuff as much as I'd want to, but Smash Bruhs is one of my favorites just because of how well the Tourian theme and beat go with actual lyrics. A Woman's probably got my favorite lyrics, Lovesong has a really cute original theme, and I can appreciate Power-Ups by virtue of stretching out a fanfare across an entire track and making it work, on a similar level to what Team Teamwork did with Still D.R.E. / Getting Treasure.

Lifting boxes. It's shit and the same thing I was doing before I got out of school, but I get to keep a home for a while until I can get something better.

Glad you enjoying Sammus. I didn't like her at first, but when I went back to listen to her a second time, it started connecting with me. That Dre and Zelda mix that doesn't particular go together to me. I checked out some of the other ones and I think the Goron Village mix fits the best, but Aesop's flow still feels just a bit off from the beat. Would probably work better with an original artist tailoring specifically to that beat.

akira28

Yeah i was reading those threads. It's an echo chamber, shit is just too expensive and unweildy for mainstream adoption.

You mean not everyone has a 2 400 dollar gfx cards in their computers?

I'm a vr evangelist, but my rig cost ~50 bucks, and my video card is generations old, lol. Attainable VR is out there, but of course these people are in this to make money and if they can direct the market into their developed $300 units, that's what they will do. They don't care about the ones too poor to afford it, they are focused on the ones who aren't.

so there will be a B-market for everyone who isn't going to splash on an expensive iphone or samsung, but who just wants a cheapie android based solution.

I said it's looking similar to 3d printing, which is an industry I was previously apart of. It's gained tons of hype, but people forget that until it's cheap enough for the average consumer it won't really take off aside from industrial uses. Until VR is in the range of cheap-ish electronics (I'd say $200 MAX) and can either run on most consoles or most computers it won't really take off

Top Bottom