• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

When Civil War doesn't make a billion and Doctor Strange has shitty numbers

So not anytime soon, hopefully

I was speaking about WB specifically, but point taken for the overall out look. Avengers 2 didn't do massive outside of covering production and advertising costs either, but Disney can work with pocket change. We might not see any AAA games from WB if they hemorrhage like this with SS later this year.

Also.... Some classics should never come back, but I ain't hatin' on Billy Dee needing to eat.

Also, numbers never lie. I wonder how long they'll wait before they start trimming the upcoming slate of tie ins, and dialing back on production funds.
Wouldn't that be due to it being a holiday on Sunday? I know Superman=Jesus, but some folks only go to church/celebrate that specific day and Christmas..
Also.... Some classics should never come back, but I ain't hatin' on Billy Dee needing to eat.
lol..gonna take more than Billy, I'm thinking.

TheFlow

Banned
Wb is putting out wonder woman and justice league regardless of what SS does. wish people would realize that.

Cyborg is the only thing on the cutting block. Batman still getting that solo film.

harley quinn is more popular than the joker and makes up a huge amount sales plus star power. That movie is going to do well, especially with no direct competition that month outside of Strange?

D i Z

Wouldn't that be due to it being a holiday on Sunday? I know Superman=Jesus, but some folks only go to church/celebrate that specific day and Christmas..

Partially. Sunday is somewhat understandable, but the drastic drop happened on Saturday though. Film is dying a ugly death in China as well.

I missed this, Voltron: Legendary Defender.

Wb is putting out wonder woman and justice league regardless of what SS does. wish people would realize that.

Cyborg is the only thing on the cutting block. Batman still getting that solo film.

harley quinn is more popular than the joker and makes up a huge amount sales plus star power. That movie is going to do well, especially with no direct competition that month outside of Strange?

Of course WW and JL are going ahead. They're in too deep to do otherwise. But SS is not a guaranteed deal for success by any means. What competition did the biggest showdown in comic book movie history have, yet still manages to falter before a massive wall of criticism? And Harley is in no way imaginable more popular than the Joker. Nobody outside of comic book heads would have a clue who she is. As far as star power goes, we could look at Will's last five big budget movie takes to disprove that notion as well.

Partially. Sunday is somewhat understandable, but the drastic drop happened on Saturday though. Film is dying a ugly death in China as well.
[/URL]
Guess word if mouth really did it in. Movie was average at best..editor needs to get the axe. Hoping the director's cut makes it a somewhat better flick..

TheFlow

Banned

I missed this, Voltron: Legendary Defender.

Of course WW and JL are going ahead. They're in too deep to do otherwise. But SS is not a guaranteed deal for success by any means. What competition did the biggest showdown in comic book movie history have, yet still falters before a massive wall of criticism? And Harley is in no way imaginable more popular than the Joker. Nobody outside of comic book heads would have a clue who she is.
BvsS made bank and broke records despite having the worst average review score for a superhero movie in the past decade. They will make that money back for sure.

lol are you serious. she is soo popular she has her own section in hot topic, and spencer. Also has more books than any other Dc character right now. She is also getting more merchandise and was the most dressed up comicbook character among females. She is featured in every batman game, and in a ton of animated features. Hell she was even in Arrow. Anybody who knows Joker knows harley.

Trust me I was just like you but Comic-Gaf schooled me, She has even been called the 4th pillar along with Batman, Superman, and wonderwoman from DC writers.

Nothing is certain but lets be real SS got a better chance of doing solid in the box office than negative.

BvsS made bank and broke records despite having the worst average review score for a superhero movie in the past decade.
fantastic-four-film-header.jpg

Nope..THAT forgett4ble.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
BvsS made bank and broke records despite having the worst average review score for a superhero movie in the past decade. They will make that money back for sure.

lol are you serious. she is soo popular she has her own section in hot topic, and spencer. Also has more books than any other Dc character right now. She is also getting more merchandise and was the most dressed up comicbook character among females. She is featured in every batman game, and in a ton of animated features. Hell she was even in Arrow. Anybody who knows Joker knows harley.

Trust me I was just like you but Comic-Gaf schooled me, She has even been called the 4th pillar along with Batman, Superman, and wonderwoman from DC writers.

Nothing is certain but lets be real SS got a better chance of doing solid in the box office than negative.

thats simply not true. the joker has decades on harley. maybe you mean young people?

TheFlow

Banned
thats simply not true. the joker has decades on harley. maybe you mean young people?
how is it not true? joker being an older character doesn't mean anything.

how long a character has been around has nothing to with a characters popularity. She was introduced in 1992.

D i Z

It's the second week that proves survivability, not the extended premiere weekend and pre-release sales. They are still a long way from even breaking even, let alone turning a profit. Did you read the article and see the actual drop in numbers?

Again, comic book heads know her. I know exactly what she is in the realm of those that follow the material, but we're not talking about that.
Ask anyone in the world outside of that bubble if they know who the Joker is, then ask them who Harley is.
Dragon Ball Z as an example (fits all of your criteria above) might have been merchandised to several demographics from here to hell and back again for decades, but that popularity is still crazy insular.
Comic book fans alone aren't filling enough seats to last past week one at the box office and recoup the costs anymore. Budgets need to be comparatively small, and the sales need to be astronomical before they even get to the home distribution phase to be really successful. Deadpool is the only comic book film that has pulled completely free and clear in a long while.

They've been pushing for the extended Blu-ray version since Sunday

Them dropping that scene was desperate, but smart. It gets the people who have seen it already but were disappointing to at least remain interested while they scramble to retool the entire mess, and puts an asterix on any further trash talking from the newer first time viewership.

Parallax

how is it not true? joker being an older character doesn't mean anything.

it means that there are people who were introduced to the joker for decades before harley came along who at least know who the joker is, but has no idea who she is. cesar romero and jack nicholson did a lot for the jokers relevance. suicide may do it for harley, but not yet

TheFlow

Banned
it means that there are people who were introduced to the joker for decades before harley came along who at least know who the joker is, but has no idea who she is. cesar romero and jack nicholson did a lot for the joker relevance. suicide may do it for harley, but not yet
Why would suicide do it when her face and name is present among anything involving DC. She is already a relevant power.

of course people will know who the joker is before harley but that can be said about for most comic book characters even outside of DC. Joker is one of the most famous comic book characters period.

It's the second week that proves survivability, not the extended premiere weekend and pre-release sales. They are still a long way from even breaking even, let alone turning a profit. Did you read the article and see the actual drop in numbers?

Again, comic book heads know her. I know exactly what she is in the realm of those that follow the material, but we're not talking about . Ask anyone in the world outside of that bubble if they know who the Joker is, then ask them who Harley is.
Dragon Ball Z as an example (fits all of your criteria above) might have been merchandised to several demographics from here to hell and back again for decades, but that popularity is still crazy insular.
Comic book fans alone aren't filling enough seats to last past week one at the box office and recoup the costs anymore. Budgets need to be comparatively small, and the sales need to be astronomical before they even get to the home distribution phase to be really successful. Deadpool is the only comic book film that has pulled completely free and clear in a long while.
The budget for the movie was 250 million... times that by two if you want to include advertisement. The movie made 170 million domestic and 400 million something wordwide in just one weekend... They already broke even mane. Second weekend means nothing because they going to make the money back and keep making more. Not sure why GAF thinks Second week is going to change WB whole game plan lol
lol comic book heads? I had to stop reading and smh.

you keep saying people don't know who Harley Quinn is but just doing a quick google search when you have time will prove what you said wrong. So I will leave that alone. BvS is/going to break even. that is a common fact. not a theory or argument.

Parallax

Why would suicide do it when her face and name is present among anything involving DC. She is already a relevant power.

of course people will know who the joker is before harley but that can be said about for most comic book characters even outside of DC. Joker is one of the most famous comic book characters period.

but you said anyone who knows joker knows harley. thats flat out not true.

and dcs merch reach isnt that far spread out past batman and superman logos

TheFlow

Banned
but you said anyone who knows joker knows harley. thats flat out not true.

and dcs merch reach isnt that far spread out past batman and superman logos

there is truth in what I said. DC merch isn't spread out past batman, superman, and harley. Anybody who has seen the trailer knows her, and ect. she is everywhere.

look this shit up mane. you going off hearsay and word of mouth. comic-gaf is a click away. they will tell you the same

D i Z

The budget for the movie was 250 million... times that by two if you want to include advertisement. The movie made 170 million domestic and 400 million something wordwide in just one weekend... They already broke even mane. Second weekend means nothing because they going to make the money back and keep making more. Not sure why GAF thinks Second week is going to change WB whole game plan lol
lol comic book heads? I had to stop reading and smh.

You do realize that marketing and advertising worldwide across multiple medium types often costs more than production by itself? That's not even factoring in the protracted marketing campaign they put on for this thing. They also have to pay distribution costs and printing fees for venues... worldwide. And we aren't even talking about commissions. The take home is a fraction of the net in every case. I don't read all that much in Comic Gaf except for lore on what I've missed myself. I read Forbes for the economics, not the fantasy.

TheFlow

Banned
You do realize that marketing and advertising worldwide across multiple medium types often costs more than production by itself? That's not even factoring in the protracted marketing campaign they put on for this thing. They also have to pay distribution costs and printing fees for venues... worldwide. And we aren't even talking about commissions. The take home is a fraction of the net in every case.
The discussion is about them making even. which they are going to make. So what is there to talk about.

The budget for the movie and how much they spent on advertising is not a secret, just google and it will the first link. Everything I wrote was after looking at the numbers, so I am not talking out of my ass :D

Parallax

there is truth in what I said. DC merch isn't spread out past batman, superman, and harley. Anybody who has seen the trailer knows her, and ect. she is everywhere.

look this shit up mane. you going off hearsay and word of mouth. comic-gaf is a click away. they will tell you the same

except that despite being in a popular trailer, that doesnt change the fact that she isnt as popular as the joker. she has a cult following, but theres no way shes as known as he is

TheFlow

Banned
except that despite being in a popular trailer, that doesnt change the fact that she isnt as popular as the joker. she has a cult following, but theres no way shes as known as he is

cult following? lol please.

The only two characters more well known in the DC universe than Joker is Batman and Superman so please with the "joker is more popular" argument because it is not a valid reason.

you keep saying she is not well known and ect.. but a quick google search will make your argument flawed as fuck lol. Comic-Gaf would even tell you this.

Parallax

cult following? lol please.

The only two characters more well known in the DC universe than Joker is Batman and Superman so please with the "joker is more popular" argument because it is not a valid reason.

than you realize the line " everyone who knows joker knows harley" is wrong then, right?

im not saying shes not well known, im saying the line that if you know the joker you know harley is factually wrong

and stop using comics gaf as a source. they have routinely been up their own ass even when i was a regular poster there.

D i Z

The discussion is about them making even. which they are going to make. So what is there to talk about.

The budget for the movie and how much they spent on advertising is not a secret, just google and it will the first link. Everything I wrote was after looking at the numbers, so I am not talking out of my ass :D

No, the discussion is about them making money and sustaining a healthy production line of films and other projects, not "making even". Nothing happens when you break even. That's simple economics. You can't rewrite the context of production and distribution costs just to satisfy your own fandom and expect the same level or higher quality in a line of products. How you can even argue your positions on this and the Harley more popular than Joker nonsense, just for the sake of arguing is a little loopy.

TheFlow

Banned
No, the discussion is about them making money and sustaining a healthy production line of films and other projects, not "making even": Nothing happens when you break even. That's simple economics. You can't rewrite the context of production and distribution costs just to satisfy your own fandom and expect the same level or higher quality in a line of products.
DC has already released a statement saying they are happy with BvsS sales and are moving forward with the Movie universe. Again google. I am not sure if you have stock in WB but relax their deal with DC is actually making them bank. google

I hate using the word "google" with you guys but you guys keep bringing up your opinions, hearsay, and speculations for stuff that has already been said and done. dizzy I feel like you haven't looked at any articles, press statements, or charts on the matter so I will just stop with you because we are going in circles.

D i Z

It's always advisable to check the kitchen for gas leaks once per day. You never know when a pilot light might have gone out...

Parallax

Harley is a product of Joker. If everyone knows joker then surely they will know his most popular creation.

who next

except, that you can easily know who the joker is, without having any knowledge that she exists. its not like outside of btas, and gotham knights that they are attached at the hip

It's always advisable to check the kitchen for gas leaks once per day. You never know when a pilot light might have gone out...
lol..
except, that you can easily know who the joker is, without having any knowledge that she exists. its not like outside of btas, and gotham knights that they are attached at the hip
Yeah. Which movie has she been in? Why would everyone who doesn't read the comics, or watch the old animated series HAVE to know who she is?

TheFlow

Banned
o_O why are we going into hypotheticals. What you just said can be applied to any character in comics.

TheFlow

Banned

just take the L mane. you not even on subject anymore

#wastehistime

Yeah. Which movie has she been in? Why would everyone who doesn't read the comics, or watch the old animated series HAVE to know who she is?[/QUOTE]
You don't have to read comics or watch the animated series to know who she is though.

Parallax

o_O why are we going into hypotheticals. What you just said can be applied to any character in comics.

except not every character is the joker. he is one of the, if not the most popular villain in comics. not everyone who knows of him reads comics. that would be like saying norman osborn is extremely popular because hes spider mans main villain.

TheFlow

Banned
except not every character is the joker. he is one of the, if not the most popular villain in comics. not everyone who knows of him reads comics. that would be like saying norman osborn is extremely popular because hes spider mans main villain.
not everybody who knows of Harley reads comics. #wastehistime

You don't have to read comics or watch the animated series to know who she is though.
So, what you're saying is that the average person, who has MAINLY consumed Batman media through cinema, or that old timey TV show, have to know who Harley is? Because she's his sidekick in the comics and a couple of cartoons? Is that what we're getting at? Because that's just a wrong ass statement. I understand you don't WANT to be wrong, but here we are..

TheFlow

Banned
true, but doesnt change that the jokers reach kills her though. i mean, unless youre intentionally being obtuse. which this seems to be

jokers reach kills her? lol what are you even talking about mane.

Everybody and their mama knows the Joker is more popular than Harley. yet you keep mentioning the joker being more popular everytime you quote me. like you are porkey the pig o_O.

D i Z

just take the L mane. you not even on subject anymore

#wastehistime

Yeah. Which movie has she been in? Why would everyone who doesn't read the comics, or watch the old animated series HAVE to know who she is?

Seriously questioning your reading comprehension right now. But you do you.

Don't worry..they broke even.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom