• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yeah some people I think take that superman being good and wholesome as a personal insult and do their best to tarnish him for no good reason. They call it "Exploring" or "deconstruction" but it comes off as petty needless nonsense.

Not saying superman can't be explored or deconstructed. He has been a billion times but the people that want to do it the most are the least equipped to do it.
It all comes from this really cynical viewpoint that I don't subscribe to, which is that good or kind characters are inherently boring, and no character is interesting until you make them "dark" or violent.

I think that what makes Superman interesting is his goodness. This is a guy who at any time could decide that he wants to rule the world with an iron fist, and there's pretty much no one that could stop him. Even if he didn't want to go that far, he could easily use his powers selfishly, or lazily, or whatever. But he doesn't. All he does is help people.

And this isn't because of some childhood trauma, or because he has weird psychological problems, or even because it's what someone told him he was supposed to be doing. He just has the ability to help, in ways other people can't, so he wants to help. Because he was raised by good, solid parents who weren't super spies, or warriors, or heroes, or wealthy philantropists, or criminals he was rebelling against, or whatever. They were just a couple of regular people who happened upon a baby in trouble, who decided to help because they could.

So this is why I say it comes from a place of cynicism. The story of Superman is, when you come down to it, a story that believes in people. It believes that, while there absolutely are assholes and criminals and people who are evil, there is a spark of inherent goodness in mankind. This is why you'll even see Superman trying to reason with Luthor from time to time. If Superman is an angel, Luthor is a demon, but you still see Superman trying to find some small piece of the light inside that terrible man. If you're the kind of person who is too cynical to believe in people in that way, Superman is going to bounce right off of you, and you're going to try to alter the character to make it feel more "real" or "grounded" or whatever.

It really does seem that way. Hilarious, considering how hard everyone pushes him as this HUGE comic book fan..
You can absolutely be a huge comic book fan and dislike/misunderstand Superman completely.

Dai101

Banned
Brown rice is disgusting and brown sugar doesn't work for everything.

tK3gwif.jpg

I liked Bats v Supes. Well ok I enjoyed Bats and Wondie, all the Supes stuff was the weakest part. That and the endless real people cameos. Fuck off Andrew Sullivan.

Affleck amd Irons stole the show.

Wait, when you say "brown sugar", do you mean that raw turbinado muscado sugar? Or do you mean white sugar mixed with molasses, which is a by product of the sugar making process from sugar cane?

On the alcohol trip, I prefer cider, the sweeter over the drier varieties. And I so very stereotypically love me some moscato.

Numb

Thought they ment that powder one
I've had sugar that was brown rather than white before. Was sweeter and melted faster

Slayven

Wait, when you say "brown sugar", do you mean that raw turbinado muscado sugar? Or do you mean white sugar mixed with molasses, which is a by product of the sugar making process from sugar cane?

On the alcohol trip, I prefer cider, the sweeter over the drier varieties. And I so very stereotypically love me some moscato.
He is taking about black women

jmood88

Got off the scariest plane ride of my life, jeez
When I was flying from the north island of New Zealand to the South Island, I honestly thought that I was going to die. It was the most terrifying flight I've ever been on; all the passengers were screaming and shit and the plane felt like it was falling. When it was over the pilot said "I told you we were gonna have a couple bumps". I wanted to fight him.

Slayven

When I was flying from the north island of New Zealand to the South Island, I honestly thought that I was going to die. It was the most terrifying flight I've ever been on; all the passengers were screaming and shit and the plane felt like it was falling. When it was over the pilot said "I told you we were gonna have a couple bumps". I wanted to fight him.
You wanted to see where lord of the rings was filmed

Malyse

Never messing with threads meant to summon mods again

Oh this is fun.

Afrocious

I'm at NCCU.

I might need to have a one on one with someone in this thread. I'm having some weird childhood trauma shit happening to me here. I have an idea why that is but given how ruthless some of you all are, I don't feel safe revealing it out in the open ITT.

Bubba T

I hate bitch ass pilots like that.

On the plus side this suite we got in Vegas is bomb as hell. Three room suite with a balcony.

Malyse

I'm at NCCU.

I might need to have a one on one with someone in this thread. I'm having some weird childhood trauma shit happening to me here. I have an idea why that is but given how ruthless some of you all are, I don't feel safe revealing it out in the open ITT.

Real talk. Outside of JC's shitty chihuahua-looking face clown jerkass self, no one is gonna clown you on some real stuff. But JC is a fucking jackass, so that's to be expected.
Bitchass fuckboy punk.

Don't give them ideas

When have you ever seen this many negros in one place without a police presence nearby?

Still posted it tho.
Coulda made the point w/o the picture tho.

I mean. Where's the fun in that?

I'm at NCCU.

People here don't really joke around with serious stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom