• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

It's crazy how popular Undertale became. Like, the Undertale subreddit has more readers than the Kingdom Hearts subrddit. I wonder if all this is getting to Toby Fox.

Afrocious

Shit it's hard even if you're just looking for a job in general. I was without one for almost a year. I was too qualified to flip burgers, but underqualified for anything in my major. I recently went back to my old job and that even took a while because my phone got cut off when they called me and then didn't listen when I told them to call the other number. I got it back now, but I can't make it out of here with this shit. With these hours I be getting and my last experience there I'm pretty sure this first check will only be about $48 and the rest I'll be lucky to make $80+.

The thing is I took the damn major after being counseled in my school because I wanted to change my major to something else, but was unsure. I had been asking game studios for years what kind of degrees they're looking for in a designer or writer and no one ever game me a straight answer. I feel like I should've did a science like my brother, but I barely passed any science class I had and failed on two occasions.

Since 2009 I've been working on games. Made a couple quiz games and right now working on a visual novel, but shit that shit is boring as hell and the smallest amount of programming I struggle with. People on here pointed me to some without it, but I must don't have a comprehension of programming because the scripting in Twine and Ren'py still feel like it to me and I can't even understand all of that.

I tried quest design for someone here on this forum, but that negro is full of shit. I spent a lot of time writing about eight quests and that man disappears on multiple occasions and act like it ain't shit when I confront him about his lack of communication. Back in October/September I think was the last time I talked to him. Said he was moving and was going to hit me up next week and never did. That was his third time doing that shit, so I stopped.

After that I've been focusing on this visual novel. I had went back to my old school and posted ads to get a group together to work on a game, but that shit didn't work. People didn't respond after my initial email. I want to get into music, because I tried it a little bit before and it's more fun and I know studios need composers more than they do writers, but my attempts to get a music program have only given me a virus. I tried again the other day and I think I got something because I started hearing ads through something called Web Helper and now there are desktop.ini icons on my desktop. I would like to work with somebody on a game again, but I'm afraid of shit like that happening again.

you got an arduous road ahead of you.

What kind of issues do you have on the programming side of things? I'm a software engineer for mostly internal tools, but maybe I can help out or at least guide you to good resources.

I can see a visual novel as a challenge, but I also can see how if you code it right, it would be seamless and more focus could be put on the A/V stuff.

Afrocious

Look, I'm just trying to ward out a berniebro infestation. Politics doesn't need to be part of the cycle.

To be honest, I don't blame people for going for Hillary due to Berniebros being made up of the most annoying kind of people (annoying white young folk) doing what they're good at - being annoying.

As a black dude, I feel pretty alone giving the guy my vote. It really doesn't help, again, that his vocal supporters are, again, annoying white folks.

Malyse

Jasika Nicole!

Jasika_Nicole_RR_125_web-600x321.jpg

Jasika Nicole!

Jasika Nicole!

Jasika! Nicole!

It's like Night Vale, but more unnerving. Sort of what Night Vale was before the quirk set in.

Good man.

Welcome!

You know what's up. And thanks.

Sugar in my grits... HA

Welcome though..

Lol, thanks.

Zootopia is legit.

-----

I want to propose the addition of three new questions to the icebreaker.

• Marvel or DC? Favorite superhero?
  • Anime or nah?
  • What's your favorite Disney movie?

Best movie I've seen in a hot while. Truly legit.

I prefer DC characters, but Marvel is aces currently. My favorite hero? That's hard. Mr faves tend to change a lot. Flash would probably be the constant, so him. Well, Wally West anyway. Impulse too. Marvel wise, I guess Spidey.

Manga. Only recent Anime I've watched was One Punch Man and even then I skipped to the parts I was interested in seeing animated.

Imm0rt4l

I'd make a thread asking why someone would vote for Hillary, but I feel I'd get a bunch of people who are only interested in reading their own posts. I'd simply want to be enlightened but I feel I'd get caught between folks who have axes to grind.

I feel I'm to pick between an out of touch jewish dude and a white lady who may as well be a gender-swapped Frank Underwood.

So I ask: if you did or are going to vote for Hillary, why?
"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't" is probably a lot of the thinking.

Imm0rt4l

Laura Matsuda in the upcoming SF YT series from the team who did Assassin's Fist

Close-stunt.jpg

Natascha Hopkins
Assassin's fist was legitimately good. I'm skeptical about the new series being any good though tbh. Forcing sfv into the mix is just meh...

Joey Ansah has a really great understanding of the series, I'd say a better one than most at capcom. Mix in the guys experience in the industry and no interest in pandering to the lowest common denominator made for a real labor of love. Charlies character design in live action is fucking terrible. I doubt this will have the organic feel of assassin's fist. Capcom hands all up in this motherfucker. I'd prefer world warrior.

I honestly wonder how some people on this board actually function it in society. Between those who don't know basic hygiene, ask medical advice on here instead of seeing a doctor, and do other, generally stupid and lacking-of-common-sense, shit, I just wonder...I really do

Imm0rt4l

I honestly wonder how some people on this board actually function it in society. Between those who don't know basic hygiene, ask medical advice on here instead of seeing a doctor, and do other, generally stupid and lacking-of-common-sense, shit, I just wonder...I really do
Yeah, I often have to sit back and remember I'm on a gaming board. And a lot of nerds unfortunately live up to the stereotype of being socially inept.

Some of ya'll are ok tho I guess.

Afrocious

Yeah, I often have to sit back and remember I'm on a gaming board. And a lot of nerds unfortunately live up to the stereotype of being socially inept.

Some of ya'll are ok tho I guess.

To be honest, I have a huge fear of being seen as such because of my interests.

cdyhybrid

I was pretty nerdy through high school, but once I got to college my love of partying forced me to become socially competent.

Johndoey

Banned
I don't know My little Pony has crossed into the mainstream pretty well. Unless your hardcore about it everythings cool.

Afrocious

Speaking of socially competent, I need yall to guide me.

I've been growing my hair out since September/October. Here I am now with it. I dunno if I should chop it off or keep it going and perhaps get twists put in. Yall got any suggestions on what I can do to basically not look hideous?

Pls don't steer me wrong. I need guidance on hair, looks, etc.

zRnlhFu.jpg

Right now, I'm outside doing some work so hopefully the lighting is fine.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I hear ya. A couple of days ago there was a long thread basically asking how to say "Thank You". I think that with any electronic communication there is going to be a subset that only communicate electronically and have zero social skills or common sense. Also, we have alot of younger people who are so scared of failure they don't want life teach them some lessons, so they ask for the "cheat code" to everything.

Imm0rt4l

To be honest, I have a huge fear of being seen as such because of my interests.
Same. Which is why I try not to associate with folks just because they share some of my nerdy sensibilities. I gotta know you're not a social leper. I'm not trying to catch the weeboo or whatever fuckery gamers often align themselves with. There has to be a word for this, some sort of phobia.

That said I'm pretty open with the things I like, I don't project that sort of weird persona.

Malyse

#teamCut

I'm really really getting into sampling and remixing music.

Nothing to show off as of yet, but I'm having fun.

Trey

Pick it out, first of all.

Second, how well do you trust your barber? I'm guessing not very, if you're asking us for advice.

Why do you want to grow your hair out?

Shy

Watched the second episode of Hap and Leonard last night, it's pretty good. I really like the feel of the show.
And now for something completely different.
Is that one of yours DD, it's pretty good.
Woke up this morning, checked my school email and found that I got approved finally. Cool shit.

Where you're from - Born in Indiana, raised in Georgia
Where you live - Georgia
What is your age? - 24
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Black and a bit of Native American
Do you know your roots - Mother's side
Favorite musical genre - Rock (Grunge in particular), Rap, Electronica, Industrial, basically whatever sounds good to me.
Your profession/major/career interest - Student in Television Production
Your religious affiliation - Agnostic
Hobbies - Reading, writing, gaming...that's it I guess. Pretty plain.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Never had Bojangles or Churches. As for the other two, it depends on my mood. Either way, honey is going on the biscuits. I also put sugar in my grits.
Favorite Disney Movie? Currently, I'd say Zootopia. Oliver and Company and Aladdin are up there as well.
Live action movie? Live action disney? Eh...I guess Muppet Treasure Island? Any of the Muppet films really. Maybe Sky High.
Welcome to gaf, and the bct.
Laura Matsuda in the upcoming SF YT series from the team who did Assassin's Fist

Close-stunt.jpg

Natascha Hopkins
Why hello there.
Agreed.
I was originally responding to Afro's remark on House of Cards which is an awesome show.
I'm all for team Underwood
House of Cards is fucking dope, i already tore through the new series in a day. I liked it.
Assassin's fist was legitimately good. I'm skeptical about the new series being any good though tbh. Forcing sfv into the mix is just meh...

Joey Ansah has a really great understanding of the series, I'd say a better one than most at capcom. Mix in the guys experience in the industry and no interest in pandering to the lowest common denominator made for a real labor of love. Charlies character design in live action is fucking terrible. I doubt this will have the organic feel of assassin's fist. Capcom hands all up in this motherfucker. I'd prefer world warrior.
I agree with everything in your post, except about world warrior. (i wanted him to start from 1)

Malyse

Shared this on social media:

Got a response of "Chun with the nigga lips"

T________________________________________________________________________________________________T

Is that one of yours DD, it's pretty good.

Click for source. Someone said today that I'm a fan art deliveryman.

EDIT: Chun-li is 46?

Oh.

Edit 2: Well when you can have 47 year olds that look like this:

I guess it's not that strange.

Afrocious

I thought I had left my pick upstairs, but I had with me the whole time. Here's my hair picked out:

1jtDg8L.jpg

The barber I had since I was a kid passed away a few years ago so I've sort of been jumping around barbers. I used to get fades and caesars.

I've always asked barbers what would look best on me, but I never got a straight answer so that helped in me saying fuck it and grow my hair out.

I also want to grow my hair out because I feel it's cheaper and all my life I've always kept my hair short. I also feel like it's a thing that black men should have short hair all the time, and I'm not cool with that.

T________________________________________________________________________________________________T

fuck people

Fucking social media comments. Smh

Malyse

I don't understand how they made a terrible Chun-li movie.

Like.

It's a fighting game. The canon is bullshit anyway so make up a story and add fight scenes. Rip off something. Make Die-Hard with fighting characters. Make Taken with fighting characters. Literally make any movie and insert fighting characters. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to not fuck up. Chun-li + Asskicking + mystery.
Make it a wuxia movie.

The big issue with game based movies is that they try to stick to canon when games unilaterally don't have good stories (the exception being MGS1. You can divorce the narrative from the game and still have a good story. I've given that no non gamers and they loved it)

EloquentM

aka Mannny

EDIT: Chun-li is 46?

Oh.

Edit 2: Well when you can have 47 year olds that look like this:

I guess it's not that strange.
Yes to the picture. Get a life to the fuck boy who responded. Lol I think I spend more gas sitting in my car at lunch than driving to and from work

Edit: also, I repeat fuck bubble guts man that burrito too stronk

Afrocious

latest

I want a Borderlands JRPG.

I love virtually everything about the games except actually playing them.

+1

The best thing to come out of the franchise was Tales. Cannot stand the games but damn Tales was good and it made me want more of that world.

Johndoey

Banned
The actual Borderlands games are pretty shit but Tales actually uses some of the concepts for good.

The character designs are solid though.

On the other hand Tiny Tina is irredeemable garbage.

Village

latest

Nisha has has an alt with dreads and has a punk rock color pallet that go with it that makes he look like ayounger version of her with dreads with a skull shirt. Shit looks rad

Borderlands mmo>>>

I think they are playing with some larger multiplayer stuff for 3. The pre sequel seemed like obvious set up.

Also bl with one of the best black characters in video games.

Also with a bunch of black and gay characters in general. The first game has two black dudes, a hispanic dude and one white woman, as the main characters

Also tiny tina's the best

Also racist hotdog is the best

The actual Borderlands games are pretty shit but Tales actually uses some of the concepts for good.

Those games are great and I have spent alot of time, getting legendaries and shooting shit up.

D i Z

Like.

It's a fighting game. The canon is bullshit anyway so make up a story and add fight scenes. Rip off something. Make Die-Hard with fighting characters. Make Taken with fighting characters. Literally make any movie and insert fighting characters. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to not fuck up. Chun-li + Asskicking + mystery.
Make it a wuxia movie.

The big issue with game based movies is that they try to stick to canon when games unilaterally don't have good stories (the exception being MGS1. You can divorce the narrative from the game and still have a good story. I've given that no non gamers and they loved it)

I get the impression (and I could be very wrong about this) that the movie wasn't conceived on its own merits. But rather that it only ever came to be because Kristin Kreuk needed a starring role of some sort, and it would be an easy vehicle to get made and to move with her existing fan base. I don't think there was ever much thought put into it beyond that.

latest

Borderlands. The most over rated of the my first shooter category to date. Absolutely a Gearbox creation as it is 100% hacky style over substance. The franchise only got good when they passed it off to someone else to do something interesting with it.

Village

Like.

It's a fighting game. The canon is bullshit anyway so make up a story and add fight scenes.

Eh...

I think the cannon is why a lot of folks like the characters. Canon and lore is the entire appeal of cody, like cody's presentation and narrative is why folks like cody. Cody is the best

5SDnt2o.jpg

I think the but I agree with your point of making a new narrative. While I like the dumbass lore of street fighter, instead of trying to adapt poorly written video games, make a new narrative.

Aiustis

Speaking of socially competent, I need yall to guide me.

I've been growing my hair out since September/October. Here I am now with it. I dunno if I should chop it off or keep it going and perhaps get twists put in. Yall got any suggestions on what I can do to basically not look hideous?

Pls don't steer me wrong. I need guidance on hair, looks, etc.

zRnlhFu.jpg

Right now, I'm outside doing some work so hopefully the lighting is fine.

You'd look really good with the high top fade, growing out more to have a big fro or shorter twists imo. The latter two can be done at the same time :D

Malyse

Borderlands. The most over rated of the my first shooter category to date. Absolutely a Gearbox creation as it is 100% hacky style over substance. The franchise only got good when they passed it off to someone else to do something interesting with it.

I generally prefer style > substance, (like Bayonetta is all style) but BL had nothing for me. Outside of a Borderlands JRPG, I would love a Mass Effect style TPS game. It's a fucking waste to make characters that have flashy designs like that and then hide them from the player. Like. What was the point? It's almost like making one of the best character creators in video games and putting it in a game where you virtually never see your character. But no one could ever be that dumb.

----

I can't believe that there are still people trying to hold out hope that the Sword Art Online MMO is real. Like an IBM spokeperson said it wasn't real in no uncertain terms and I'm still seeing stuff like "Yeah, I'm just gonna wait and see what they say. I'd love to know who this "spokesperson" is." New people, when we (inevitably) start badmouthing anime avatars, this is the type of reality disconnect we're talking about.
Eh...

I think the canon is why a lot of folks like the characters. Canon and lore is the entire appeal of cody, like cody's presentation and narrative is why folks like cody. Cody is the best

5SDnt2o.jpg

I think the but I agree with your point of making a new narrative. While I like the dumbass lore of street fighter, instead of trying to adapt poorly written video games, make a new narrative.

I mean, like the canon. Do your thing. I keep up with King of Fighters and that's complete bullshit. But I'm not going to pretend that it's remotely well written. Fighter canon is a way to explain character backgrounds and set up character interactions. Akuma and Ryu need to fight because of reason. Ken and Ryu need to fight because reason. Etc etc.

Afrocious

Tiny tina made me put BL2 down and forget the series until TT stepped up to the plate.

You'd look really good with the high top fade, growing out more to have a big fro or shorter twists imo. The latter two can be done at the same time :D

Thanks! So a high top fade or keep growing my fro (and maybe twist it).

Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom