• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm watching the Best Man again and Harper is a straight up bitch. First you fuck your best friends fiance, then write a book about it, dedicate it to them, then steal it when Lance gets close to finding out, then gets ass whooped and tries to get pussy from another chick while your chick is in another state. Then to top all of this shit off you propose to said girl you just tried to cheat on during your best friend's wedding.

So I'm watching the Best Man again and Harper is a straight up bitch. First you fuck your best friends fiance, then write a book about it, dedicate it to them, then steal it when Lance gets close to finding out, then gets ass whooped and tries to get pussy from another chick while your chick is in another state. Then to top all of this shit off you propose to said girl you just tried to cheat on during your best friend's wedding.

Yeah, he trifling You watching that shit on Netflix aren't ya?

Yo I'm literally tired of "woke" or conscious black folk that frequent social media. The complete 180 on Erykah Badu made me realize how quick we are to blacklist and put down rather than educate. There is no room for nuance or perspective. Like when I read her tweet while I did find some things problematic I could tell where she was coming from and she still put the responsibility on men. But the way people turned on their "Queen" was just crazy.

It's not like she's Chris Brown, where she constantly shows her ass like he does. What happened here seems to sorta be the reverse of celebrities reacting to Bill Cosby. Is it a generational thing? Idk. I'm just disgusted with the attitude. It even happened here once with Michael B. Jordan and he never said anything problematic at all and some here were like fuck him. Idk, maybe I'm wrong but I just hate blacklisting our own in certain cases and ignoring factors like perspective when judging our people.

akira28

I want to say its a generational thing, but I'd be bullshitting. Busybodies exist in all age groups. Its just that the younger ones are definitely going to be all about that drama on twitter.

and it looks like they alternate between 'Twitter is life' and 'Twitter is not real'. I don't think her comments were really that bad. Its different when its Erykah saying it instead of legal and social authority. She can have her opinion. she didn't say those clothes make boys uncontrollable and what she did say had a reasonable context, even if its not the most popular stance. I wouldn't even compare it to Cosby really. Its not some "pull up your pants" BS. Its "protect our girls, cherish our bodies, find a better focus".

Yo I'm literally tired of "woke" or conscious black folk that frequent social media. The complete 180 on Erykah Badu made me realize how quick we are to blacklist and put down rather than educate. There is no room for nuance or perspective. Like when I read her tweet while I did find some things problematic I could tell where she was coming from and she still put the responsibility on men. But the way people turned on their "Queen" was just crazy.

It's not like she's Chris Brown, where she constantly shows her ass like he does. What happened here seems to sorta be the reverse of celebrities reacting to Bill Cosby. Is it a generational thing? Idk. I'm just disgusted with the attitude. It even happened here once with Michael B. Jordan and he never said anything problematic at all and some here were like fuck him. Idk, maybe I'm wrong but I just hate blacklisting our own in certain cases and ignoring factors like perspective when judging our people.

It's definitely a problem. It mostly ever happens when people feel like their interests are threatened. In this case it's mostly men who somehow think that women are deserving of shame or violence just because of their way of dress. These men don't feel that their actions have lasting consequences and put all the blame on the women, and in this particular case, young girls.

But sometimes, others like me, are disappointed with - let's go for an example - Common, for his words on The Daily Show, talking about how love is the solution to racial inequality, I felt betrayed. Sometimes our personal vindictions get in the way and we deem celebrities who have done actual good for our community with scorn just because we disagree with them on one subject. We forget that they are people as well. But to be fair and in especially my case, I definitely did not throw out the toxic verbal sewage at Common many hoteps are aiming as Erykah. And this doesn't mean celebrities aren't ever deserving criticism. But I think "woke" people are so blanket without a shred of regard for humanity. Although I disagreed with Common I still respect him as an artist or a man.

As for Cosby, there's really no forgiving him on that.

Village

Someone on FB said someone needs to take out Seth Curry before his bloodline's Kekkei Genkai activates and now there's two of them in the NBA. xD

Curry is nuts.

But you got me thinking about the applications of having the sharingan whilist playing basket you cool at someone break they ankles in their mind, then break they ankles you can trick everyone in the stadium you have been making more shots than you have. \

One day i'm going to make a crazy ass basket ball video game where everyone has anime powers.

That's on the " Welp gonna have to make it myself " list.

When I was comparing it to Cosby, I was refering to how A lot of older people defended him, where as people are just absolutely, hotep or not, shitting on Erykah Badu. Its like wow...really? Like a flip flop of a massive scale. As a matter of fact, people were comparing her to Cosby smh.

But Yeah, I get being disappointed because you do look up to these people, but we can't put them on this Godlike pedestal either. They are as capable of being ignorant as we are.

All black celebs need to have their own version of Charles Barkley's "I am not a role model" commercial.

When I was comparing it to Cosby, I was refering to how A lot of older people defended him, where as people are just absolutely, hotep or not, shitting on Erykah Badu. Its like wow...really? Like a flip flop of a massive scale. As a matter of fact, people were comparing her to Cosby smh.

But Yeah, I get being disappointed because you do look up to these people, but we can't put them on this Godlike pedestal either. They are as capable of being ignorant as we are.

All black celebs need to have their own version of Charles Barkley's "I am not a role model" commercial.

Even non-hoteps are up on the Queen That Is Not Janelle Monae?

SMH.

akira28

Even non-hoteps are up on the Queen That Is Not Janelle Monae?

SMH.

they were calling her the hotep. saying she wants everyone to wear long skirts, etc. Earth Mother Badu. This same woman who killed Black Twitter by walking on stage in some tight jeans is suddenly a conservative prude.

Or maybe she just thinks young girls don't need to be wearing certain things.

they were calling her the hotep. saying she wants everyone to wear long skirts, etc. Earth Mother Badu. This same woman who killed Black Twitter by walking on stage in some tight jeans is suddenly a conservative prude.

Niggas is wilding. Jesus Christ.

Wait 3 yr olds aren't suppose to wear high heels and mini skirts? Le shock

Do you have to wash twice weekly to avoid the build up?

I still don't have a hair solution.

Try to limit it to once or twice a week when washing hair. Our hair doesn't need as much washing with shampoo or conditioner because it strips our hair of our natural oils and our hair generally needs oils for health and growth. I know some black folks who wash their hair every day like they're in a goddamn Head and Shoulders commercial, but we're not white and we don't have the same needs hair-wise. On off days, rinse and wash your hair with nothing but water when bathing to get any dirt or whatever out. I personally have set days for my hair routine. It makes it feel like tradition. I exfoliate, take care of my hair, clip nails, and I feel brand new. That day is Friday. Friday is Cindi Day.

Speaking of hair, I need to do a deep condition, co-wash, detangle, and take these twists out. Can't wait to go back to a wash n go.

Any sisters here (if there are any at all) please disclose your hair regimen. For science.

edit: Nah, fuck it. I change my mind on the wash and go. I want to do bantu knots. I'll have them in during the weekend and take em out on Monday morning so that everyone knows that my curls are stylling on them.

Bantu's for life.

ay2lsyi.png

Johndoey

Banned
If what I saw on the first page was any indication i'd suggest avoiding the voter ID thread on OT for now.

Also Gordon have a nice time at your movie.

-----------
Civil War- two arrogant white men decide who knows best for policing the world as the minorities in their lives prop them up.
Their going to make America great again.

Real talk those Shea Moisture products do wonders for my hair.

#CoconutOilTwitter

Yaaaaaassssss!

It's the way she said it though, she flat out suggested that men can't control themselves so young women should cover up.

The fact she's implying men are these uncontrollable sexual beasts doesn't sit right with me.

Johndoey

Banned
That's the rub right? The women need to cover up thing works on this puritanical basis of shifting blame onto women based off the concept men are on the verge of rape at all times and women must "cloth their sinful forms" to be safe. It's problematic for everyone.

------------
Also fuck Kojima digoxin is not a fucking pick me up.

That's the rub right? The women need to cover up thing works on this puritanical basis of shifting blame onto women based off the concept men are on the verge of rape at all times and women must "cloth their sinful forms" to be safe. It's problematic for everyone.

Yea it's ridiculous how much men are absolved of responsibility in these situations. And the fact society pretty much reinforces such a mindset is mind boggling. Like...people (us men especially) are completely fine with the implication that we're just a moment away from raping women at any given time of the day?! Like ya'll accept this?!

Slayven

Thanks, O. Gnite, brother..
Where is my report?
Yea it's ridiculous how much men are absolved of responsibility in these situations. And the fact society pretty much reinforces such a mindset is mind boggling. Like...people (us men especially) are completely fine with the implication that we're just a moment away from raping women at any given time of the day?! Like ya'll accept this?!

Man can't control themselves and it is women's fault is one of the oldest stories in history

Imm0rt4l

A friend put me on this book called dataclysm. It talks about these issues in the information age and correlates them to big data. Data like Google trends of searching the N word in November 2008. There is a mob mentality on the internet. For example that PR woman who said on twitter "on my way to south africa, hope I don't get AIDS,just kidding I'm white", and was fired before she landed only to meet a mob of angry people at the airport who chastised her for this really shitty joke that she claims was supposed to be a dig at her own privilege(I think that's a reach, but that's besides the point). Point being, this isn't a "woke" thing. The internet magnifies our emotions. In this case people are in some way right to criticize Erykah, it's up to her to choose her words carefully and others to contextualize that, because on the surface she's wrong.

I can't resist thinking that anyone, especially any guy who says "women should cover up because men can't help themselves", is saying a lot more about themselves than they think. I take it as an enormous red flag that that guy is probably almost as dangerous as the ones who openly want rape to be legalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom