• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

It's the way she said it though, she flat out suggested that men can't control themselves so young women should cover up.

The fact she's implying men are these uncontrollable sexual beasts doesn't sit right with me.

people have implied all sorts of things, she's not an authority, she's an individual, so I'm not going to attack her like I would if it was the news or the President or a text book that said something like that.

It doesn't sit right, which means I would probably just raise an objection to her over it, instead of just deciding she's poisoning our children and think black boys are all rapists. "I get what you're saying but you're wrong abot XYZ." you can do that with a person, you can't do that to society, the media, our institutions, which is why we fight when they do things like this. But not when its just ole african hat girl from Texas. come on now, ya'll.

act like this towards a true threat, not a hammer to kill a fly.

Imm0rt4l

people have implied all sorts of things, she's not an authority, she's an individual, so I'm not going to attack her like I would if it was the news or the President or a text book that said something like that.

It doesn't sit right, which means I would probably just raise an objection to her over it, instead of just deciding she's poisoning our children and think black boys are all rapists. "I get what you're saying but you're wrong abot XYZ." you can do that with a person, you can't do that to society, the media, our institutions, which is why we fight when they do things like this. But not when its just ole african hat girl from Texas. come on now, ya'll.

act like this towards a true threat, not a hammer to kill a fly.
I agree with you, but I think it is also important to call her out. It's not so much that SHE is poisonous, as her rhetoric is. Because the implication it comes with, which is that men are rape lords incapable of controlling ourselves. This is still important to tackle, because it's at the heart of the culture of victim blaming. It may seem inoccuous enough, but it's really some subversive type sexism that needs to be nipped in the bud so people don't internalize this which in turn further perpetuates this idea that the onus is on women to cover themselves up. It's respectability politics.

People do and say problematic things from time to time, I don't know if she is being subjected to an unfair amount of criticism because I haven't followed it beyond what was initially said.

akira28

I agree with you, but I think it is also important to call her out. It's not so much that SHE is poisonous, as her rhetoric is. Because the implication it comes with, which is that men are rape lords incapable of controlling ourselves. This is still important to tackle, because it's at the heart of the culture of victim blaming. It may be seem inovuous enough, but it's really some subversive type sexism.

People do and say problematic things from time to time, I don't know if she is being subjected to an unfair amount of criticism because I haven't followed it beyond what was initially said.

people need to learn to choose their battles. for real. for. real.

you're not wrong, but she's nowhere near a target of opportunity, and her rhetoric isn't powerful enough to present a real problem or challenge. people just didn't like hearing those words from that source. People might be ready to take offense rather than see the wisdom in her words. Instead of holding on to what doesn't sit right, what about the things she says that feel right?

jWILL253

Banned
U7IdsTv.jpg

4 hours later, and this still hurts my soul.

akira28

U7IdsTv.jpg

nigga who told you to have feelings? your own goddamn fault, and no sympathy for you. pick up your L at the front desk, and leave. fucking leave, before we have you removed.

fuckouttahear ghost in the shell live action with today's hollywood.

Dai101

Banned
I know, latino review and all that, but they are saying that Tessa Thompson is going to be Valkyrie in the next Thor movie.

akira28

Someone tell me what Badu said?

I read her tweets and agreed with every word.

This is all I've seen from the situation: http://www.vibe.com/2016/04/opinion-erykah-badu-long-skirt-twitter-debate/

What's this about men being rape lords? Every thing she said on the long skirt debacle was on point from where I'm standing and what I've seen.

she said stuff, and had some arguments with some twitter folks, so she pushed back, and they pushed back. creating a see-saw of 'umm..really'

the boys rape thing is people drawing inferences and pulling stuff into the sandbox. 'If she said x then that means she means y and the result is z', etc. Adding more juice to what she said, and acting like its going to affect us like Superpredator, and suddenly everyone is going to seriously believe that boys are incapable of controlling themselves. when she just said people need to be conscious.

she said stuff, and had some arguments with some twitter folks, so she pushed back, and they pushed back. creating a see-saw of 'umm..really'

the boys rape thing is people drawing inferences and pulling stuff into the sandbox. 'If she said x then that means she means y and the result is z', etc. Adding more juice to what she said, and acting like its going to affect us like Superpredator, and suddenly everyone is going to seriously believe that boys are incapable of controlling themselves. when she just said people need to be conscious.

So really, it's more than likely people taking her words, which were 100% correct, misconstruing it, and twisting it. But apparently Erykah is misusing her celebrity platform? And she's using damaging rhetoric? What is this fuckery?

Erykah Badu used her celebrity platform to dish real talk on a serious and important issue while being respectful about it.

I can already see it now. Erykah Badu says young girls need to be aware of what some men want and ways to responsibly circumnavigate it while also living a sexually responsible life, and young boys need to be taught responsibility towards how they approach girls because it's natural for a young man to want sex. Some people construe it as "all men are sex predators?!" or "young girls need to do what?!"

These people lack nuance and rather than trying to understand what Erykah said, they turned it into a shit show. More evidence that sometimes, the internet was just a big awful mistake.

Dai101

Banned
how come the latinos get all the movie news half a year in advance? whats up with that

We're connected to the universe ...

tumblr_mpdivnHfmw1rt0w4to1_400.jpg

Pictured María Sabina enjoying the shit out of the universe, also may she rest in peace

But really half the time we're just bullshiting you, homie.

D i Z

Waiting for Gafs defense force for white women playing minority characters and how they want to spin this one. I bet dollars to piss someone is going to use the artificial body argument regardless of who and what Motoko Kusanagi is supposed to be. Hell they might even move a majority of the film out of Japan as an attempt to sidestep this all together. Can't dodge around that name tho.

Waiting for Gafs defense force for white women playing minority characters and how they want to spin this one. I bet dollars to piss someone is going to use the artificial body argument regardless of who and what Motoko Kusanagi is supposed to be. Hell they might even move a majority of the film out of Japan as an attempt to sidestep this all together. Can't dodge around that name tho.

Both are already abundant in the OT thread. Apparently Asian Americans will have to wait till next time for that valuable screen time. For now, Makoto has to be ScarJo because because.

Actually they've already dodged around the name too with the "well the original material is mailable and open for adaptation to any country" argument so the film makers might make her some American MK name.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

People were already doing that in the thread in OT.

Kreed

You should have seen the Dragon Ball Evolution defense force.

"Goku is an alien, so what if he's white? And look at his eyes, those aren't asian people eyes".

Merc_

That thread is driving me up the wall with that shit. Does anyone else remember all that "make a new character, don't change the race" stuff from the old Spider-Man actor threads? Funny how fast that attitude changed when the race was switched to white.

akira28

not surprising. see so many people just centimeters away from screaming "minorities are the real racists!!!!" before exploding into junior member confetti. So it should be expected.

D i Z

Both are already abundant in the OT thread. Apparently Asian Americans will have to wait till next time for that valuable screen time. For now, Makoto has to be ScarJo because because.

Actually they've already dodged around the name too with the "well the original material is mailable and open for adaptation to any country" argument so the film makers might make her some American MK name.

People were already doing that in the thread in OT.

I come directly to BCT in the morning to debrief before heading into the badlands.
I haven't checked the OT yet, but I'm so not surprised. I guess this unspoken...lets call it course correction for the character would fit perfectly into the fandom of a shitload of people.
Not gonna have a problem relating now, I guess. Movie might actually have a shot at big screen success they say!!! Global context and all that.

Not gonna have a problem relating now, I guess. Movie might actually have a shot at big screen success they say!!!

And if it fails, no one plans on blaming ScarJo's relatabliy's as a contributing factor. It just pisses me off how many people don't get that it's moments like these in terms of casting that move the needle toward progress and because of the same excuses we hear from execs and consumers like in that topic, nothing ever changes because 'it has to be this way' or 'its for the best' or 'any different and you're asking for failure'. Same people I don't doubt were some of the ones who got pressed at that black and Latino casting call for Hamilton.

D i Z

And if it fails, no one plans on blaming ScarJo's relatabliy's as a contributing factor. It just pisses me off how many people don't get that it's moments like these in terms of casting that move the needle toward progress and because of the same excuses we hear from execs and consumers like in that topic, nothing ever changes because 'it has to be this way' or 'its for the best' or 'any different and you're asking for failure'. Same people I don't doubt were some of the ones who got pressed at that black and Latino casting call for Hamilton.

Probably a lot more overlap with the Idris Elba is taking roles for whites only characters crowd.

Also apparently even anime character is actually a white person if you go by that thread.

That's exactly what I meant by course correction. Like it's an oversight. The ethnic mistake that's finally getting a correction because obviously the characters are white, just in an exotic playground.
With exotic toys, exotic speech, and the freedom to dream of exotic kinks with the same commitment as any other kind of cultural appropriation we see everyday. Take what we want. Throw the rest away.

So a friend of mine is raging against "ghetto" black folks because they don't tip and she works in food. Even as so far to pull a what about "Black on Black crime" type argument except instead of black on black crime its simply supporting blacks at work places.

Now I'm having to educate her on its more Food Services screwing her over than a bunch of cheap black folks not wanting to pay a tip.

Slayven

So a friend of mine is raging against "ghetto" black folks because they don't tip and she works in food. Even as so far to pull a what about "Black on Black crime" type argument except instead of black on black crime its simply supporting blacks at work places.

Now I'm having to educate her on its more Food Services screwing her over than a bunch of cheap black folks not wanting to pay a tip.
But is she cute?

Dai101

Banned

Show her this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vivC7c_1k

Easy to digest and quick to the point.

But is she cute?

ohyou

Shy

Morning BCT. (even though it's evening where i am, i just woke up.)
Thanks, O. Gnite, brother..
Always welcome.
night
We should fix our bedtimes if we are still in the same timezone
LOL. I have bad habbit of sleeping during the day
Remember when we were kings and queens before The White Man came from mars?
LEEj9yf.gif

U7IdsTv.jpg

pEAt1dz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom