• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
software engineering

i'm currently a software engineer for cisco in RTP

it's not fancy but it looks nice when i
get the fuck out of this place and start my own goddamn black owned video game company

Yeah, I'm in the midst of switching jobs. Have to start adding stuff to my github page though, to show that I can actually do some of the things I say I can in my resume.

Before they do that "write that shit you did way back in Data Structures that you'll never need again" quiz on me in an interview.

It's still gonna happen even if I put a full game on my github.

Dai101

Banned
playing monopoly with eight people is brutal

there were alliances and betrayals. around midgame, we had names for our businesses too.

we also had a friend of mine who went to business school. he was losing and this dude was trying so hard to make any kind of deal he could

i've never seen anyone hustle so hard for fake money

We have our own version of Monopoly called "Turista"

v5xLSx5.jpg

filkuRh.jpg

nP87w4g.jpg

Was basically the same but traveling around the world buying countries and much of the hustle of monopoly downgraded.

Hell yes. Prepared to get freaky.

Oh, it's ON

VwBz37T.jpg

Afrocious

Yeah, I'm in the midst of switching jobs. Have to start adding stuff to my github page though, to show that I can actually do some of the things I say I can in my resume.

Before they do that "write that shit you did way back in Data Structures that you'll never need again" quiz on me in an interview.

It's still gonna happen even if I put a full game on my github.

oh yeah fuck those questions

i'm so rusty its not even funny.

for this job, i'm lucky i didn't have to do an interview like that, but i was expected to make a chatroom using Node. never used Node before that

Gattsu25

Banned
I feel you. I was never a fan of dressing up for white folks though. Did that for 364 days straight. Never again. Call me uppity but I consider myself above that shit. Arrogant business type white folks disgust me, and it's a shame that they dictate what is proper in finding jobs.

I know I'm talking from several points of privilege but hey.

Not to say folks who must do it are less than me or something. I'm just in a field where white folks can wear tattoos fine and not be judged.
As someone in tech who's had to fight to get someone with dreads hired because people were spooked at how 'unprofessional' his hair was, I know exactly what you mean.

Whenever I let my hair start to grow out, I get people casually asking me when I'm going to get a haircut (I can't even tell you how much this shit makes my soul burn). The sight of a 1/2 inch micro afro offends them, it seems.

As someone in tech who's had to fight to get someone with dreads hired because people were spooked at how 'unprofessional' his hair was, I know exactly what you mean.

And the "funny" thing is is that they have no problem hiring slovenly long hair, unkept beard white dudes, because you see them in every engineering department. Yet somehow well kept dreads are what's "unprofessional"

Afrocious

Whenever I let my hair start to grow out, I get people casually asking me when I'm going to get a haircut (I can't even tell you how much this shit makes my soul burn). The sight of a 1/2 inch micro afro offends them, it seems.

Dude, it makes me see red. I hate it so much. It's like there's this cookie-cutter stencil black men gotta fill in in order to get these jobs, and when you got some fairer-skinned dude roll in with his tech skills and horribly fitting clothes and ugly beard, he gets it because that's apparently acceptable over a black dude doing something with his hair that's not cutting it short.

I hate it. It's like black dudes can't do shit different. Everyone has to have the same goddamn haircut to do any fucking thing. Everyone has to talk the goddamn same. It makes me sick.

This is kinda pouring out of the scope of jobs, but I feel black men aren't granted the space to claim individuality in looks, expression, attitude, etc by anyone - white people, other black people, whatever people.

And the "funny" thing is is that they have no problem hiring slovenly long hair, unkept beard white dudes, because you see them in every engineering department. Yet somehow well kept dreads are what's "unprofessional"

I hate it dude. I seriously hate it.

Dy's alt having a field day in here.

But will all these companies finally stop playing and give Serena her paper?

Serena has an endorsement with Nike, I think.

But I'm sure the rest of them will just wait for the next Cute White Girl to glom onto.

Dude, it makes me see red. I hate it so much. It's like there's this cookie-cutter stencil black men gotta fill in in order to get these jobs, and when you got some fairer-skinned dude roll in with his tech skills and horribly fitting clothes and ugly beard, he gets it because that's apparently acceptable over a black dude doing something with his hair that's not cutting it short.

I hate it. It's like black dudes can't do shit different. Everyone has to have the same goddamn haircut to do any fucking thing. Everyone has to talk the goddamn same. It makes me sick.

This is kinda pouring out of the scope of jobs, but I feel black men aren't granted the space to claim individuality in looks, expression, attitude, etc by anyone - white people, other black people, whatever people.

Black people in general. It's the same as black women being pressured to straighten their hair, like their NATURAL HAIR is untidy. Yet any other women can come in with messy hair on some "My hair is just naturally curly" bullshit

Aiustis

That's why I love the company I work for. Not very many of us but the place makes you feel welcome. Also a lot of the black people I see are in some sort of lead position.

Edit: But people will be people. The day I came in with twists after having a small afro. Someone legit asked wtf was up with my hair.

Afrocious

Black people in general. It's the same as black women being pressured to straighten their hair, like their NATURAL HAIR is untidy. Yet any other women can come in with messy hair on some "My hair is just naturally curly" bullshit

I've seen that in person and it's awful.

That's why I love the company I work for. Not very many of us but the place makes you feel welcome. Also a lot of the black people I see are in some sort of lead position.

Edit: But people will be people. The day I came in with twists after having a small afro. Someone legit asked wtf was up with my hair.

I fear this happening to me if I do get twists considering I'm a 6'2 black dude with a sharp tongue.

Sorry, from what i watched, it just came across as by the numbers, generic and predictable.

We are talking about Agents of shield, right. ?
It was bland in the beginning. Changed after Winter Soldier. Had a great season 2 forward, with a couple of shit episodes in between. Just saying..

Shy

The last three or so episodes of S1 are better and S2 is a serious improvement.
You fucked up. Agent's has steadily gotten better to be categorically really good. Out of all of them superz shows, I'd say its the only one that shouldn't be missed.
It was bland in the beginning. Changed after Winter Soldier. Had a great season 2 forward, with a couple of shit episodes in between. Just saying..
Ahhh. Sorry about the fam.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How did you like Amalur? I remember loving it.

Really good, but terribly balanced. Was playing on Hard and still had to go find a mod to make things harder by the end of the game, just so it would stay entertaining. It kind of worked but not really.

There are a couple problems:
1. The level scaling - You can't explore too much because a zone locks at whatever level you enter it. Also, the level caps for the zones are too low for all the experience points they give you, so if you're not careful you'll out-level all the content and end up facing boring grey enemies and getting no good drops.
2. Since you're almost always over-leveled, you don't necessarily have to engage too deeply with the (actually really good) combat. Even if you limit your XP, by the time you get to level 30 or 35, you're basically too powerful for the combat encounters to be threatening for the rest of the game, outside of the occasional damage spike you receive if you end up getting worked by a bunch of spells at once.

Outside of that, it's really enjoyable. There aren't really any set classes, except for the ones defined by what you put your points into. If you put a lot of points into Finesse, you can unlock Finesse "classes" that are basically just bonuses that synergize well with your skills. You can do the same with Might or Sorcery, or any combination of the three.

Fun game.

Htown

I should probably just play something on Wii U, like more Splatoon or one of these Mario games.

Or maybe I'll finally get around to Life is Strange.

----

If you want to play Amalur, there are three things you need to do:

1. Play on Hard difficulty. Absolutely required.
  2. If you get a quest that sends you to another area on the world map (it'll be obvious), don't do it until you finish all the other side quests in the area first. Don't go into indoor dungeon areas until you have a quest in there.
  3. If you're on PC, consider googling around for the Ysa mod. It lets you limit your XP gain to less than half (along with other things to make the game harder if you want), which prevents you from out-leveling everything. The downside is that you won't level as fast early, which means it will take longer to get into the meat of the combat, but you can turn it on or off at any time.

Htown

What is with people skipping out before stuff hits its stride lately?
To be fair, a show should really be good from the beginning.

We live in the era of instant gratification. I've to say that i've been guilty of it thanks to netflix (and other sources) or will not have been hooked to BrBa since i binged most of S3 and half of S4 until i catched up to watch it weekly.

Yeah, the thing is that there's so much more content out there now, that unless you have somebody telling you to stick with a show through the rough start, you are much more likely to just switch to something else.

Johndoey

Banned
I think enjoyment of Life is Strange is at least partially based on ability to withstand 80s-90s high school movie character archetypes.

Uhh the Sherlock Holmes games from Frogware are good, Crimes and punishments is pretty good if you haven't touched those.

In spite of all it's bullshit, i loved life is strange, and would put it on my short list for game of 2015.
Yeah, Life is Strange pisses me off because its almost my second or third favorite game in the last couple of years, but the shit in it I don't like I really really don't like.

Shy

I think enjoyment of Life is Strange is at least partially based on ability to withstand 80s-90s high school movie character archetypes.
In spite of all it's bullshit, i loved life is strange, and would put it on my short list for game of 2015.

Gattsu25

Banned
I should probably just play something on Wii U, like more Splatoon or one of these Mario games.

Or maybe I'll finally get around to Life is Strange.

----

If you want to play Amalur, there are three things you need to do:

1. Play on Hard difficulty. Absolutely required.
  2. If you get a quest that sends you to another area on the world map (it'll be obvious), don't do it until you finish all the other side quests in the area first. Don't go into indoor dungeon areas until you have a quest in there.
  3. If you're on PC, consider googling around for the Ysa mod. It lets you limit your XP gain to less than half (along with other things to make the game harder if you want), which prevents you from out-leveling everything. The downside is that you won't level as fast early, which means it will take longer to get into the meat of the combat, but you can turn it on or off at any time.
Yep.

It seems counter intuitive but you really want to make the game as hard as you can. There's so much content there, and it gives you so much XP, that you quickly find yourself one-shotting groups of enemies. Seems cool for a while but will lead to boredom. You need the extra challenge because the game just becomes way too easy otherwise.

Last point for PC players: Use an XBox 360 controller and not a XBox One controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom