• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

It's just ok. Some folks love/hate it..I just find it an average movie. Still hoping the long cut fixes some issues I had with it. But yeah, nothing to write home about..IMHO.
Batman v Superman was a really bad movie but I was entertained the whole time simply because of how little sense it made at all levels.

Trey

That's cute. One irrelevant member getting his self esteem boosted by an even less relevant member.

Didn't know "relevant member" was something to aspire to. Don't send for me so early in the day, my guy. Makes you look petty.

Zootopia was amazing fam. Shit did a better job talking about race relations than many movies.

Great film. Best I've seen this year so far.

Not sure, but I remember a bunch of people in this thread shit talking the game at launch.

Positivity 2016, brehs.

Anyone here play KI?

Sure do. I'm learning KI; it's pretty fun. We should get a lobby going one of these days.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Weird cause folks shit on Marvel villains but DOFP had Boliver Trask. You could edit out every scene dude is in and not anything would be lost. And why was breaking Magneto out of prison a good idea again?

people like non sensical shit if its a part of some counter culture. thats the only way i can explain the love for dofp

Slayven

Asians can't even star in a movie about hacking.....when even stereotypes fail you.
people like non sensical shit if its a part of some counter culture. thats the only way i can explain the love for dofp

Is it counter culture? I just side eye and move on.

Parallax

Asians can't even star in a movie about hacking.....when even stereotypes fail you.

counter to mcu anyway. some of the same people shouting about marvel killing off mutants before every mutant event

Slayven

counter to mcu anyway. some of the same people shouting about marvel killing off mutants before every mutant event

and don't pick up not one comic.

I am giving Scarjo the benefit of the doubt, she was probably sold on the role being about a kickass female, which is her brand now. But the fuckery they about to catch, and rightfully so.

Dereck

Read that Lupita thread, some stuff in the OP though...

She’s not only very gifted as an actor, but she’s very intelligent as a woman, she’s very beautiful, and she’s very African.

full

If she was Caucasian, we know she’d be set. We’ve been talking about it for years, but we’ll be face to face with it and unable to deny it when she’s as talented, as beautiful, and as dark brown as she is. So we’ll see.

full

I'm not seeing Ghost in the Shell movie and I'm a massive fan of the series.

I have very, very low expectations. The Major is Japanese. I don't see how it's controversial to defend that. ScarJo has no business being the Major.

Parallax

I have very, very low expectations. The Major is Japanese. I don't see how it's controversial to defend that. ScarJo has no business being the Major.

i can see the movie pushing that she dived into another body being an excuse.

jmood88

Between the Lupita Nyong'o and Ghost In The Shell threads, we have every possible bullshit excuse for why white actors keep getting jobs no matter how inappropriate they are for whatever role they have.

Read that Lupita thread, some stuff in the OP though...

full

full

There's nothing wrong with the second statement. As for the "very African" statement, I just chalk it up to ignorance, but the message is clearly supportive.

Lupita is dark. That is mere reality. And her beauty being celebrated in spite of her darkness is nothing short of revolutionary for black girls. Please don't try to start anything about "using the right words" or whatever, when you've got teenage girls mailing Lupita that she gave them confidence to love their dark skin. Even if sometimes the treatment of Lupita comes across as not genuine, the reality is that she has used her platform and representation for young black girls all over the world.

To be frank, your problem with that statement feels like you're being overly defensive without realizing the impact of seeing a dark skinned black woman being celebrated for her beauty and just how revolutionary for some black girls and women that truly is.

Let the person live. What they stated wasn't controversial.

Imm0rt4l

But hey, they threw Asians a bone by adding Beat Takeshi into the mix so it's all good right?

Also sad to see Disney/marvel turn a would be old asian guy into an androgynous bald white woman on some David caradine shit. I feel like they should be above that kind of fuckery
But its Pokemon though....
My sentiments as well, but I'm biased. I spent thousands of hours through sf4's life.

Malyse

Zootopia was amazing fam. Shit did a better job talking about race relations than many movies.

Batman v Superman was complete and utter garbage. I don't know how anyone could like that shit.

Man it's amazing like no exaggeration. It touches on eugenics, the word "nigga" and who can say it, that "you're so articulate" nonsense, touching of someone's hair, segregation (shops for "others"). Shit was just too real.

*cough*

Not saying I told you so, but

Especially when Rinko Kikuchi exists:

tumblr_mpv5weCJsP1s355cho1_500.png

But casting a Japanese actress to play a Japanese character is clearly crazy talk.

Kreed

The biggest problem I have with the white washing of these Asian properties is the fact that the property owners allow this shit to happen and give it their blessing, and it's mostly due to ignorance IMO. They would never do this for their own version of the films in their home land, but since it's the US version they don't care and IMO they, like many in Hollywood, think white people have to be the stars for the film to do well.

The biggest problem I have with the white washing of these Asian properties is the fact that the property owners allow this shit to happen and give it their blessing, and it's mostly due to ignorance IMO. They would never do this for their own version of the films in their home land, but since it's the US version they don't care and IMO they, like many in Hollywood, think white people have to be the stars for the film to do well.

It's debateable how much power they have over casting decisions. It's possible they just sell the license and reap the benefits without being able to make any creative decisions

The reaction to ScarJo casting is EXACTLY why I have decided to not talk about race with white people. THEY JUST DON'T GET IT. And today I broke my rule and ARGH THIS IS WHY.

Numb

Especially when Rinko Kikuchi exists:

tumblr_mpv5weCJsP1s355cho1_500.png

But casting a Japanese actress to play a Japanese character is clearly crazy talk.
First thing that came to mind when seeing her in Pacific Rim was that she would be great for a Ghost in the Shell movie
ScarJo it is then

edit

she is doing a Terra formers thing?
This will be great

Kreed

It's debateable how much power they have over casting decisions. It's possible they just sell the license and reap the benefits without being able to make any creative decisions

And they would still be at fault for selling the license post Dragon Ball Evolution and not having any say in creative decisions.

The reaction to ScarJo casting is EXACTLY why I have decided to not talk about race with white people. THEY JUST DON'T GET IT. And today I broke my rule and ARGH THIS IS WHY.

Lol you'd think it'd be obvious that maybe you've got a serious issue if you argued to the point of having contradictory points about why a character named Makoto Kusanagi is best played by a white woman. And people wonder why stuff like OscarsSoWhite happens. It's cause at moments like this, people will go out of their way to justify the value of a white face above a minority one.

Lol you'd think it'd be obvious that maybe you've got a serious issue if you argued to the point of having contradictory points about why a character named Makoto Kusanagi is best played by a white woman. And people wonder why stuff like OscarsSoWhite happens. It's cause at moments like this, people will go out of their way to justify the value of a white face above a minority one.

You could make any valid point and they will completely brush it aside. On my Facebook, I have seen this issue deduced as "lol tumblr" as if race representation hasn't been a big issue in Hollywood since its inception, never mind the last 50 or so years.

Johndoey

Banned
Man re-reading it Death of Wolverine is just awful, it's so slap-dash and lazy.

That guy you thought was dead was secretly alive, oh no. Oh wait the dramatic reveal is for a background scientist dude even die-hard Wolverine fans don't care about? oh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom