• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great, fuck.

At the same time I'm a little tired of black suffering being what's hot in the streets for Hollywood.

Understandable. I'm at the point where if places like Texas are invested in warping history textbooks and the like, I'm more than fine with Antebellum media coming out consistently to keep true American history from being swept under the rug because I already see grown men and women today who know next to nothing about Native American genocide or even Japanese Internment

Malyse

Man re-reading it Death of Wolverine is just awful, it's so slap-dash and lazy.

That guy you thought was dead was secretly alive, oh no. Oh wait the dramatic reveal is for a background scientist dude even die-hard Wolverine fans don't care about? oh

You mean to tell me you aren't eagerly anticipating them adapting that story for Wolverine 3?

Slayven

Man re-reading it Death of Wolverine is just awful, it's so slap-dash and lazy.

That guy you thought was dead was secretly alive, oh no. Oh wait the dramatic reveal is for a background scientist dude even die-hard Wolverine fans don't care about? oh
I am sorry are you new to comics.?
I'm exhausted and I haven't even gone to work yet, nigga.

licP3V9.jpg

Cause you been running through my mind all day

Ex-Friend: "Isn't she a robot? Robots don't have race or nationality."

Acquaintance: "Yup, but don't let Tumblr know."

Me: Deducing this issue to "lol Tumblr" shows how many racial minorities you actually talk to.

Acquaintance: YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME?!?!?!

Me: I can read between the lines. No person who has a diverse set of friends would deduce this to lol tumblr because it shows how much you live in a bubble.

Ex-Friend: How dare you talk to him like that?! Your entire argument is based on the fact we're white. I've lost a lot of respect for you.

hm3Xhq0.png

Even if you argue things respectfully, if it somehow relates to the fact that, yes, they're white, they aren't going to treat your argument with respect. Uh, yeah. You're white, and you live in a hegemonic bubble. I've hung out with y'all multiple times, and I've never seen one Asian person there with y'all. You spent time with two black people to my knowledge, and although I'm one half of that, you don't talk to me regularly. And there's only one Latino you guys hang with. That's it. Everyone else is white. So when I relay some facts about your group, suddenly it's a judgement?!

Never mind that she's a cyborg, not a robot.

But hey, they threw Asians a bone by adding Beat Takeshi into the mix so it's all good right?

Also sad to see Disney/marvel turn a would be old asian guy into an androgynous bald white woman on some David caradine shit. I feel like they should be above that kind of fuckery

My sentiments as well, but I'm biased. I spent thousands of hours through sf4's life.

That ScarJo casting is right up there with Emma Stone in that Aloha movie. Just whitewashing trash in an attempt to use a "bankable star" to bring in the racist money. I don't care that Makoto could have picked a white girl shell. Think about what that means.

The Ancient One casting has the same problem as the Mandarin casting. The characters are clearly based on Asian stereotypes. Marvel is trying to head off the "OH SO WE'RE JUST MYSTICAL YELLOW PERIL PEOPLE, HUH?" problem, not realizing that there are many Asian actors who NEED WORK and wouldn't mind getting that Magical Asian money. If Marvel had some actual Asians behind the camera, they'd probably be able to write something up that is not insulting to Asians yet is /for/ an Asian actor.

Also, people would not be complaining about the Ancient One casting as much if they'd cast an Asian-American as Danny Rand. Not an Asian, an Asian-American. Make him adopted if he needs to have white parents for that last name. I dunno. This could have been awesome.

It's ok but way too melancholy, but that was typical of the animes of the time.

Should have done some real shit like Outlaw star or something they could experiment with like Samurai Chaploo

Stand Alone Complex is very experimental. It even has a structure similar to Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. What are you talking about, dude?

Johndoey

Banned
Chances are it won't be as bad as Dragonball Evolution
Yes, it'd probably be far worse.

--------------+
What I saw of Stand alone complex I remember being alright, but that original movie hoo boy, it ain't good.

Edit: Wait are we calling Outlaw Star good?

Thinking that something can be as bad as DBZ evolution at the same time as shitting on Outlaw Star
You lost me
Dragonball Evolution wasn't even the worst movie to get a theatrical release that year.

Imm0rt4l

It's ok but way too melancholy, but that was typical of the animes of the time.

Should have done some real shit like Outlaw star or something they could experiment with like Samurai Chaploo
Better than the tripe that get served up as anime today.

Fuck I'm getting old, with this "back in my day bs"

Gotta love how he tries to conclude the video on some faux-thought-provoking bullshit; asking us, "why aren't there any female Asian A-list actresses?" as if the dearth of suitable actresses from that demographic somehow just happened and wasn't the natural result of a racist film industry's racist casting practices.

Gotta love how he tries to conclude the video on some faux-thought-provoking bullshit; asking us, "why aren't there any female Asian A-list actresses?" as if the dearth of suitable actresses from that demographic somehow just happened and wasn't the natural result of a racist film industry's racist casting practices.

MAYBE THERE AREN'T A LIST ASIAN ACTRESSES BECAUSE WHEN THERE'S AN OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE ONE HOLLYWOOD DOESN'T, MAX?!

This is a great opportunity to make that A-list actress. There are no A-list actresses because Asian actresses aren't given ROLES.

Johndoey

Banned
I thought the video would be worse. Landis is coming from this issue as a person who grew up enveloped by the entertainment industry. I don't know what anyone thought he was going to say.

Landis is blind to the cyclical nature of this shit.

Dereck

There's nothing wrong with the second statement. As for the "very African" statement, I just chalk it up to ignorance, but the message is clearly supportive.

Lupita is dark. That is mere reality. And her beauty being celebrated in spite of her darkness is nothing short of revolutionary for black girls. Please don't try to start anything about "using the right words" or whatever, when you've got teenage girls mailing Lupita that she gave them confidence to love their dark skin. Even if sometimes the treatment of Lupita comes across as not genuine, the reality is that she has used her platform and representation for young black girls all over the world.

To be frank, your problem with that statement feels like you're being overly defensive without realizing the impact of seeing a dark skinned black woman being celebrated for her beauty and just how revolutionary for some black girls and women that truly is.

Let the person live. What they stated wasn't controversial.
Right. I was chin scratching on the fact that he sounded like he was saying "she's good and all but she's African so...oh well". I took it out of context.

Johndoey

Banned
They fucked over my boy Trevor bad early in New52. It was a damn shame. Then Terra got introduced and almost immediately killed. They made Rose a henchman for secret organization #263, the Bruce/Joker fanfiction is just about canon now. Oh Lord, DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom