• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
What hair you got Blasian Persuasion? It's also good to learn your hair porosity.

Hair types:

VJnhl4v.jpg

b66ps4j.jpg

Depending on your hair type you may need specific care. Do you have a regimen?

My hair is a mix of 3C and 4A. My needs are different from someone with 4C. A lot of black people say "butters are best for hair" or whatever, but it's so monolithic and so false. When I put butters in my hair, it just sits in my hair and weighs it down. My hair works best with oils.

royalan

Another piece of advice is, unless you're doing something really elaborate with your hair like an updo, just do it yourself.

A lot of "natural" hair salons are rip offs and will charge you 50-75 for a regular ass twist out.

Another thing is a lot of salons have girls there who have no idea what they're doing and are too hard on the hair, stretch it without moisture, and even damage it.

If you're Black American, I suggest not going to an African salon (usually Nigerian or Ghanaian). Not only will they talk about you in their language, but African's are known for being hard as fuck on the hair and it. will. hurt.

Look for alternatives, like a girlfriend who is good with natural hair, or a salon you really, really trust.

Adding on to Cindi's great posts...A FEW YEARS AGO Y'ALL MADE FUN OF ME FOR MY GREEN HAIR. But my avocado+banana+olive oil+coconut water concoction keeps my shit soft and healthy.

Commit to a good moisture treatment. You don't have to get all natural-kitchen-cabinet like me, but neither does it have to be very expensive. And keeping your hair nice and enriched with moisture with make twist-outs/wash and go's a lot easier, and look a lot better.

jmood88

The new Spider-Man sure has a lot of black people starring in it. It's almost like Marvel is trying to make it look like they're actually in New York City and not the white oasis that exists in every other movie/tv show set there.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Adding on to Cindi's great posts...A FEW YEARS AGO Y'ALL MADE FUN OF ME FOR MY GREEN HAIR. But my avocado+banana+olive oil+coconut water concoction keeps my shit soft and healthy.

Commit to a good moisture treatment. You don't have to get all natural-kitchen-cabinet like me, but neither does it have to be very expensive. And keeping your hair nice and enriched with moisture with make twist-outs/wash and go's a lot easier, and look a lot better.
hey if the bayleef regiment works, it works.

RT 90% so shouldn't be trash
---
Blasian
Haven't finished an FF game. FF9 a good start? Interested in the new PC one. Got 5,6,7 and tactics too.
I decided instead not to see it and instead spend more time working on my craft. As for Final Fantasy IX, it was my first and I love it. Just about any game in the series is fine to start out with. The wonderful thing about the series is that it's so diverse, so there's something for everyone. IX was my introduction and it pulled me because of the presentation, story, characters, exploration, and music. The combat was secondary for me, but it is decent and functions properly. X was next for me and coming into a 3D world with voice acting for the first time was a real experience. I found the combat to be a bit more enjoyable and thought it was neat how you could switch out party members at any time and the conveniences of an auto-Scan in Sensor and the turn slot helped the battle system shine. I didn't like the story as much as IX's but it entertained me.

After X I played VIII. This is the one I often have in tie for my second favorite with IV being the other. The Junction system in VIII gets a lock of flack for being overpowered, but I never went out of my way to break the game. I just automatized that shit while occasionally changing a stat or two to another spell and calling it a day. People complain about drawing a ton of magic too, but again I think that complaint is unfounded because you don't have to, people just choose to do outrageous shit like spend 20 minutes drawing from monsters. All I ever did was just draw moderately from monsters and draw points and the occasional refine from magic stones. I like the modern aesthetic the game has and most of the cast I'm cool with, it's just that I wish more characters had more spotlight like Quistis and Xu. It has some of my favorite spectacles in 3rd disc.

After VIII I think I played X-2. This I wouldn't recommend unless you're looking for a game with a rich combat system. The story I found flawed and uninteresting, but it has my favorite usage of the job system and arguably the best battle system. You three characters and you can change jobs during battle. Also with the garment grid, by switching jobs you will get bonuses such as stat increases, outside job abilities like white magic, and this is also how you tap into your special dresspheres which are like your limit breaks. The game also has a chain link system that encourages stragetic thinkining. My opponent is fast and deals a lot of damage. Do I use this brief window to have my three attackers chain an attack for extra damage or do I only use two and the other for healing or two for healing and the third for an attack?

XII I find similar to X-2 for the same reasons. An excellent battle system, but the story is awry. It's awry for different reasons though. The game's story goes ghost on you about halfway through. The game's world feels huge and there's a ton of sidequests, most of them are hunts and I think there are no mini games as a downside.

To get back on path, I mentioned for IV is often tied as my second favorite. Why? It's hard for me to describe. It might be because I find its soundtrack to be the second best out of all the ones I've played and a good soundtrack enhances the experience. I like the aesthetics of the world as well. It's mostly vibrant with a lot of varied locales. The game also provides a strong challenge for me throughout the entire game, unlike most of the others I find to be too easy. The story is serviceable and has charm.

VII I really don't like. It's not a bad game, but it's not for me. The story doesn't do much for me outside of one character ending up in vegetative state and the slums in the beginning. I don't like any of the mini games, chocobo breeding, or the materia system. I also find the soundtrack to be the second worst out of the ones I've played.

VI is fine. It has a grand scope feel to it and I like how it keeps the predetermined jobs for characters like in iV, but also allowing for customization with Magicite. There are a couple really emotional scenes for me in this game that are towards the end. It's a little easier than IV, but still grants challenge.

V I found to have some strong points. I've only played it once, so I can't say much about the story because I don't remember much about it, but I do remember the job system. This is another game where the gameplay shines. The job system in this one is improved from III's and allows some mixing by granting you one additional ability from an outside job per job whenever you max out a job.

III I only played one time as well. It was the last new one for me. I found it alright. There was almost no story to speak of, but the gameplay held up enough for me, but I think I might not play it ever again. The game is not bad, it's just that you can't save during dungeons in the game and the game's final dungeon is long as hell and you can't save, so if you die at any point you have to go all the way back to the beginning. If the DS version fixes this then I will play it or either play it on an emulator with save states because fuck that!

I found Crystal Defenders to be pretty addicting. It's a tower defense game for PSN and smartphones. It really tests your brain if you want to attempt any mode above easy.

I haven't played I, II, XI, or XIII and only played the beta of XIV's A Realm Reborn. I did play Dirge of Cerberus, but it was not for me.

To conclude if you want to go with the steam version of IX it adds a lot of features that makes it approachable for newcomers and brings something new for veterans like me. There are seven modes that off various things such as increased battle speed, the choice to skip battle transitions, maxed out ability points, gil,etc. The graphics are also improved in some places, but some are left behind which can occasionally make some of the backgrounds look blurry.

First off, never call your dreadlocks "unprofessional".

Second, my mom tells me this. She would often bad mouth my hair, though she said she's jealous sometimes because she tells me I have "good hair." I've found it very demeaning and unsupportive at times, and to hear my own mother talk about my hair like this has been really hurtful, and tells me a lot about how she views her own. She hot combs her hair. I try to suck it up but it's such a shame seeing the damaging effects white supremacy has instilled on my mama.

As for your question, about any style would do.

A traditional go to for a lot of natural women is a Wash And Go. It's popular because it's easy to do and not time extensive while still looking wonderful.

Thanks for the advice. I think I have an idea of what I want to do.

Another piece of advice is, unless you're doing something really elaborate with your hair like an updo, just do it yourself.

A lot of "natural" hair salons are rip offs and will charge you 50-75 for a regular ass twist out.

Another thing is a lot of salons have girls there who have no idea what they're doing and are too hard on the hair, stretch it without moisture, and even damage it.

If you're Black American, I suggest not going to an African salon (usually Nigerian or Ghanaian). Not only will they talk about you in their language, but African's are known for being hard as fuck on the hair and it. will. hurt.

Look for alternatives, like a girlfriend who is good with natural hair, or a salon you really, really trust.

A lot of natural women just do them shits ourselves. Most salons still don't cater to natural hairstyles, and the ones that do either fuck your hair up, are ran by African's, or are outrageously expensive. With youtube tutorials and practice, you won't need to go to the salon.
I have been trying to do shit myself, but I have something in my mind that makes me think I'm always doing something wrong because when It hurts a bit when I try to brush and comb it out. It does whenever a stylist does it, but I guess I'm more conscience and critical when I'm doing it to myself. I need to overcome that. The salons I got to charge me about $35-40, but yeah the African and Jamaican ones start with $50.

What hair you got Blasian Persuasion? It's also good to learn your hair porosity.

Hair types:

VJnhl4v.jpg

b66ps4j.jpg

Depending on your hair type you may need specific care. Do you have a regimen?

My hair is a mix of 3C and 4A. My needs are different from someone with 4C. A lot of black people say "butters are best for hair" or whatever, but it's so monolithic and so false. When I put butters in my hair, it just sits in my hair and weighs it down. My hair works best with oils.

I'm without a doubt a 4C chick.

The avocado seems a bit much, though. TBH, but it's true that doing what works for you is the best.

I could talk hair products all day. Besides Eco Styler Gel and hair oils, my go to is Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

A1v7A2084SL._SX522_.jpg

It's so useful you can make cute hair styles with it at almost any length.

Even goes well with men's hair styles.

NNdX8DB.jpg

You can use this product for twist outs, wash and go's, whatever. Just a 5/5 hair product.

RT 90% so shouldn't be trash
---
Blasian
Haven't finished an FF game. FF9 a good start? Interested in the new PC one. Got 5,6,7 and tactics too.

FF9 is actually one of the best starts. It's easy, traditional, is a tribute to FF, is charming game. It would be one of my top recommendations, next to 4, 6, 7, 10, and 12 for a person's first FF.

I'm without a doubt a 4C chick.

You know your hair better than I, but curlynikki and naturallycurly always brings good suggestions for hair care via hair type.

Type 4c hair is composed of strands that will almost never clump without the use of styling techniques. Type 4c hair can range from fine, thin, soft to coarse with densely packed strands. Some say Type 4c coils look identical to 4b except that the curls are tightly kinked with less definition. Tighter coily hair can shrink more than 75%.
Quick Tips

Use a creamy humectant as a leave-in to maximize protection from the elements

A curl defining custard or gelee can stretch the coil safely for twist-outs and braid-outs

Cover your hair at night with a silk or satin cap to protect your hair and prevent breakage

Use a detangling co-wash with slippery elm or marshmallow root

http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type4

HOW TO GROW 4C HAIR

4C hair is beautiful and easy to care for as long as you know how to properly clean, moisturize, and maintain it. The best advice you can get on maintaining 4c hair is from women who have plenty of experience with it. Although everyone’s hair is unique, watching others' trials can reduce the stress of finding what works for you. So we reached out to community favorites, 4c vloggers Lulu, Kriss, Jessica, and Jenn to share their hair care do’s and don’ts that have been successes and failures of their regimens.

Pure-Estrogen-650x365.png

Pure Estrogen (LuLu)

Follow the directions on your products. The idea of deep conditioning overnight sounds great, but it really doesn't do much for your hair.

Work your product into your hair to make it easier to detangle and give it extra stretch before styling.

Don't wash hair that hasn't been detangled. Semi-stretched knotted hair is bad enough as it is. Try removing the knots from perfectly shrunken kinks.

Don't comb dry or soaking wet hair. Lightly moisturize or spritz to make it pliable. Fingerdetangle each time that you can get away with it.

NaturalMe4c-650x365.png

NaturalMe4C (Kriss)

Use moisturizing products. 4C hair is usually very dry naturally, so using anything harsh won’t be beneficial when it comes to retaining moisture.

Cleanse your scalp thoroughly. 4C hair is known for having lots of shrinkage. As soon as water hits the tightly coiled strands, up it goes! Be sure your products/fingers are reaching your scalp to properly cleanse away dirt and product buildup. A good tool to try is the Vanity Planet Scalp Massaging Shampoo Brush. It works great on wash days.

Don’t pile your coils on top of your head and rub products on your hair. This can cause excessive tangling, single strand knots, and frizz. Not to mention, it can be a nightmare to detangle and style later!

Use a product that has lots of slip. Whether you fingerdetangle or you like to use hair tools, slip will not only save time, but it will allow most knots and tangles to unravel easily without excess strain. A great inexpensive detangler is Silkience Silky-Smooth Conditioner.

Don’t rip through knots and tangles! If you feel a knot with your fingers/hair tool, stop and use your fingers to gently remove strands from the knot. Doing so will prevent unnecessary breakage. You may find that the root of the entire knot was only a couple strands.

Don’t overuse styling products. This can lead to crunchy, greasy, weighed down, stiff, and or frizzy hair. Most of the time, a little product goes a long way.

Jessica-Pettway-650x365.png

essica Pettway

Wash your hair often! Water is a kinky girl's best friend.

Don't think negatively about your texture. Embrace it and your hair will love you for it.

Trim your hair regularly. Trimmed ends make styling easier.

Don't use lathering shampoos too often. These type of shampoos dry kinky hair out and can result in breakage.

Deep condition every week. If you want healthy hair, don't skip this step.

Don't limit your styling because of your texture. Explore as many options as possible and have fun with your kinks.

Wash your hair with conditioners or creamy shampoos. This will give your hair the added moisture and slip needed for kinky textures.

Explore a stylish cut and shaping. This will give your kinks a whole new life.

Jenn-J.-650x365.png

Jenn J.

Minimal manipulation is key for my hair to thrive. I am very gentle with my strands so I make sure to wash my hair in twists and finger detangle over 90% of the time. This has made a tremendous change in my ends. In addition, deep conditioning is an absolute must. 4C hair craves moisture, but don't expect to achieve maximum moisture retention overnight. Moisture is a journey. You have to be consistent to achieve moisturized hair so I deep condition every week.

Avoid drying products such as hard gels and daily styling. Typically, I will do a style that I know can last at least a week such as twists and updos.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2015/10/how-to-grow-4c-hair.html

royalan

The avocado seems a bit much, though. TBH, but it's true that doing what works for you is the best.

Leave my damn avocado alone. lol

I cosign the Shea Moisture. Great stuff. Best stuff that you can find at a drug store that I've used.

I've been on my "Older Huey Freeman" again lately:

UhjBG57.png

Actually, this is just my hair after being under a beenie all day and before Ive had a chance to hop in the shower and wash it. But the fun thing about keeping my moisture game up is that even when I don't style my hair, it does these nice shapes that I like.

I cosign the Shea Moisture. Great stuff. Best stuff that you can find at a drug store that I've used.

Actually, this is just my hair after being under a beenie all day and before Ive had a chance to hop in the shower and wash it. But the fun thing about keeping my moisture game up is that even when I don't style my hair, it does these nice shapes that I like.

Looking good!

I'm not one to talk. I make my own conditioner and it has honey in it.

Malyse

I drank every day this week. Should probably take a break today.

But, why?

9 is already great, but will seem absolutely godlike in comparison to the absolutely boring 6.

Florida is the greatest state in the union.

Is it trash opinion day already?
To be fair, your hair was green, bruh.

You know your hair better than I, but curlynikki and naturallycurly always brings good suggestions for hair care via hair type.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type4

http://www.curlynikki.com/2015/10/how-to-grow-4c-hair.html

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely read them. To reiterate I hate how we are expected to keep our hair a specific way just because white people may have a problem with it and that was what white I was trying to explain to my family, but my aunt replied with the "but white people are the ones in charge and going to hire you". I'm not down to conforming with their standards steeped in racism. I know the men face it as well and I feel it's probably even stricter on their part and I'm in support with them as well.

Malyse

*continues to push products *

Let's just say my blasian self ain't gonna be worrying about where I can get a decent hair product. My scalp thanks me getting a job here.

I can't decide what joke I want to make here.

Oh, but thanks for the justification for not giving you money. 😉

I like my liver being intact.

You can drink and not fuck yourself up. Moderation and planning is key. Stay hydrated and you can fish the fuck out.

I can't decide what joke I want to make here.

Oh, but thanks for the justification for not giving you money. 😉

It's a family business, after reconnecting with my mother after my year of hell she wanted me to work for her while I go to school. Decent pay, so I ain't complaining.

And you can still let me hold 20.

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely read them. To reiterate I hate how we are expected to keep our hair a specific way just because white people may have a problem with it and that was what white I was trying to explain to my family, but my aunt replied with the "but white people are the ones in charge and going to hire you". I'm not down to conforming with their standards steeped in racism. I know the men face it as well and I feel it's probably even stricter on their part and I'm in support with them as well.

You can have your cake. Show them how glamorous you are rather than conform.

Johndoey

Banned
This hair stuff is interesting. Two different kink levels.

--------------------------------

It's like Aiden Pierce was specially designed to be the most aggressively generic main character ever created.

The new Spider-Man sure has a lot of black people starring in it. It's almost like Marvel is trying to make it look like they're actually in New York City and not the white oasis that exists in every other movie/tv show set there.

hopefully they have some brown people that aren't cabbies or bodega owners.

Slayven

I only know new york from Seinfield and Girls

No matter what he tells you, the shopping ain't that high.

My shipping prices will be whatever the shipping company charges. @Cindi, the raw black soap... The stuff straight from Ghana that has no extraordinary packaging but a brown paper wrap. That goes for $7. The black soap from the Madina company costs $3 each and the ones from Nubian Heritage go for $5.

Dudu Osun is $4 individually, though you can go on Amazon and buy 6 for like $15 bucks.

I really need to set up an online store, my mom has been trying to do it for a while but the last two guys that worked for her before I arrived flaked out on her.

akira28

I usually just end up cutting mine. I have the super nappy kind and can't be arsed.

I need a stylist. I always got the super low cut or a mini fade, but I wish I could have a head full of hair.........

I need like a staff of people or like to become Tchalla or something.

Village

4 is the pinnacle of the series tho. Best secrets, best overworld, best moon.

I'm in the ff14 is actually the best club

any game where you children look up to you, and you tell them philosophy on life, and its basically " kill all your enemies", Is a good fucking game.

" How do we become a hero like you "

" Destroy all your enemies"

" Look at this hero we will now base our life on"

UhjBG57.png

speaking of kink levels

Furyous

UhjBG57.png

Why is there a white streak going down his hair? What's that white spot on the side of his chin?
He CLEANS UP at college pubs I guarantee it. I'm talking star QB at FCS school clean up. Derek Jeter at the Garden level cleaning up. Jodeci at an 80's show level cleaning up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom