• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

0AEdR8q.gif

Thank you.

I've been getting it cut for years, I can grow it but it takes time before it becomes something that can be styled into something else other than a bush head. Then there's the question of what I would actually get styled. And also do I want to worry about global warming, if degrees are going to rise 10 degrees over the next decade, maybe I should get used to skinnybald cuts.

I wouldn't mind hearing your suggestions. Thinking about gettin a cut & starting fresh.

First things first is...

Basic Hair Care

1. After drying off in the shower, never wipe your hair. Always do a soft pat dry. Better yet, save an old t-shirt just for drying off your hair and pat dry with that rather than with a rough towel. The trick is to not make your hair completely dry, but slightly damp, and I'll explain why later.

2. At bed time, always keep your hair covered with a du rag or scarf for protection. Satin is preferable, hence a du rag. Look up ways to knot it so that it doesn't fall off during sleep.

qBqGHej.jpg

3. Drink lots of water.

These three things go a surprisingly long way.

Now, the rest of it is in the details.

Moisturizing

As I was telling Blasian, every black person's hair is different. Some have naturally straight hair, some have mixed hair, others wavy hair, curly-kinky hair, and knky hair. Figuring out your hair type for hair growth is helpful to see what it likes. Now, as said, everyone's hair is different, but it's still good to have a general plan of action depending on how long you want your hair. Men are less likely to care about hair type because y'all tend to not grow your hair as long as us ladies, and it's sometimes hard to recognize hair type when it's low, but at least try so you can see what you're dealing with.

If you find your hair type, I think the next step would be to see on whether your hair prefers butters or oils. I suggest staying away from things like pomades and hair dressings like Blue Magic despite being staples in black homes because of their chemicals, and you're trying to promote growth above all else. Butters are things like shea butter. Oils are things like Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil;etc. Generally, folks with really thick, kinky hair work best with butters due to their hair density. With people with lighter, less heavy, more coil patterned hair, typically working better with oils. Even then there are lots of people with kinky hair who use BOTH. So see what works.

You can go to Sally or a local Beauty Supply or even Amazon and get stuff like this:

y0ZfHOJ.jpg

fIkp2V6.jpg

wmPdTOA.jpg

Hell, you can use olive oil from the store if you want.

Now, the key to oils and butters is to keep your hair moisturized. But people often make the mistake of thinking that oil or butters are the moisturizer. THEY'RE NOT. Oil and butters merely SEAL moisture. What you use as a moisturizer is water. This is why it's important to not completely dry your hair when drying off.

The trick is, after you dry your hair, use a spray bottle with water in it so dampen your hair.

Preferably something cheap.

31oDVNcKC9L.jpg

You don't want to completely wet it or anything, but give it some moisture.

A suggestion is to put a bit of oil in the bottle and mix it up. I personally put a cocktail of JBCO, olive, and Vitamin E oil in my spray bottle. It must be mostly water though. You're not putting in the oil to seal, but to give basic extra nutrients.

After damping your hair, THEN you apply the sealant of your choice, massaging it fully into your scalp, and finally brush or comb. If you're using something like Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie, use it before you use your sealant.

Our hair thrives on moisture, this is why drinking lots of water is also important. Usually, by doing all of the above, your hair will good and moisturized the whole day. Repeat the process at night.

I highly suggest using Jamaican Black Castor Oil as a sealant. The stuff has a distinct smell, and it's thick as hell so it doubles down to lock water in for constant moisture. Your hair WILL grow fast if you use JBCO daily!

Washing and Detangling

As I said earlier in the thread, black hair doesn't need washing more than once or twice a week. Usually once is enough. Over washing tends to strip the hair of its natural oils, which leads to dryness, which we established on the last point is something you want to avoid.

Honestly, a lot of girls these days aren't even using Shampoo. We use nothing but conditioner because it does the same job without oil stripping. For the sake of this, I'll list some good shampoo's.

Shampoo - Make sure shampoo has no sulfates.

SV5ykno.jpg

SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow and Restore Shampoo - Get this shit. I don't care if you're white, black, asian, latino, arab, an alien, GET THIS SHIT. I am poo free and even I own a bottle to use every now and then as a treat.

SEgW76h.jpg

Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex 10-in-1 Renewal System Shampoo - This has biotin and stuff in it and is super hypdrating to help promote hair growth.

Conditioners

1FDIp7z.jpg

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner - Most Shea Moisture conditioners are pretty great but for the purpose of hair growth, this is probably the one I'd suggest the most because it's Raw Shea butter and emphasizes restoring and repairing hair. Which you'll need for hair growth.

Detanglers

81xVEeNNBdL._SY679_.jpg

Gata Detangler - Pretty solid detangler. Even detangles dreadlocks.

Deep Conditioning

Deep conditioning isn't only for women. The benefits of deep conditioning is ultra hydrated hair. Shampoo like normal, then when you're about done with your shower, put the conditioner in. Don't wash it out. Leave it in and when you dry off, don't dry your hair. Just take your Du Rag and cover your hair with it to let the conditioner bake inside your hair and get deep inside your hair follicles. Read a book, watch tv, play video games, do whatever for 30 to 60 minutes. Then run water over it, dry it off, moisturize, and comb/brush.

Doing all of the above, you should see a noticeable increase in hair growth. JBCO especially helps hair grow extremely fast and the Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo should help as well.

I'm not going to get into things like finger detangling. That's for the future.

Just like the boil cabbage and pig knuckles you eat

I'd murder every baby seal on the planet before I'd allow that shit in my general vicinity. And you sure talk a whole lot about boiling food..sounds like things was rough for you coming up. Cap does tell Falcon how y'all had to boil everything back then. I'm sorry, old man..I forget you're from another time.

Slayven

I'd murder every baby seal on the planet before I'd allow that shit in my general vicinity. And you sure talk a whole lot about boiling food..sounds like things was rough for you coming up. Cap does tell Falcon how y'all had to boil everything back then. I'm sorry, old man..I forget you're from another time.

You know you got a mess of pig feet in that red juice in a big jar on your counter

It's from a reality show called Produce 101. The premise is that the general public chooses 11 girls from a pool of 101 trainees to make into a new girl group. The trainees come from different music companies from in and outside South Korea. They do different challenges and tasks every episode to help the public determine (with their votes) who gets to stay and who goes.

That scene was from one of the vocal training sessions. JeA (the one with short hair) was ruthless with her criticism of Somi's singing as you can tell lol.

I assume that Produce 101 refers to production (pro-DUCE). I see it and I think of a grocery store (PRO-duce), and considering this is about girl groups, that makes ironic sense.

All you said was that you hope they have brown people who aren't bodega owners or cabbies, which is why I brought up the black and brown people who were cast in prominent roles.
it seems like we were just on different wavelengths. i'm glad there's several Black people in good roles! i was just hoping that they didn't stop on Black/White and that there's some non-generic Brown people too.

Numb

Thanks cindi, I'll see about collecting some of these items and potions in my quest to have perfect hair forever.
Going for this
coiffio.gif~c200

before you get hit with one of these
First things first is...
Showed your epic hair tech to sis and got called a master for having such knowledge on hand
Thx
Good morning, BCT..

Too damn cold this morning.

Morning.
Raining out of nowhere. Shouldn't have gone out

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/us/georgetown-university-search-for-slave-descendants.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

Jesuits sold slaves to keep Georgetown University afloat. Everyone is complicit, there are no white knights.

Everyone is complicit and no one wants to own up to it.

Showed your epic hair tech to sis and got called a master for having such knowledge on hand
Thx

Lol That's good. What did you show her? I'm glad you guys got something out of it!

JeanGrey

I would say good morning but I woke up to dam Afrika Bambaataa bs I'm so disappointed.

This world is just a pile of poop.

On a lighter note y'all gotta watch Disney's The Jungle Book it was amazing.

Slayven

That headlines is the best thing ever.
Had to make an arrest at the end of the day even setting someone up then apologise and the dude let's him off and then he says he loves him?
what the actual fuck

Black dude is better than me

White dude ruins so many lives....gets 18 months cause reasons

Crocodile

A) Good cosplay warms the soul

B) I haven't had fired chicken in what feels like ages. Maybe its been even more than a year?

C) I should take better care of my hair. But I'm too cheap & lazy :/

Perfect times for one
Don't forget jandro gundam

ggundamxe.png

Slay seeing all these black women probably triggered him.

This is why I like you.

tumblr_m3rv98okbz1rvh7eeo1_1280.jpg

I gotta say, this community has to be the absolutely best one as poking fun at itself. I don't think you'll find this comfort level in a lot of other places on GAF. Or perhaps I'm just ignorant, I dunno. But yeah, this place has got JOKES LOL

Numb

Black dude is better than me

White dude ruins so many lives....gets 18 months cause reasons

Ain't no way in hell. Dude is a much better man than me in every sense of the word. I would have drop kicked dude in the throat with some titanium cleats running at full speed on sight. He's gonna catch some hands before we hash it out.

Unless my dude is playing that long con and trying to get him all comfortable and buddy buddy before he brings down the wrath!

4 years.
4 years.
You can't make this up
I'm mad for him
A) Good cosplay warms the soul

B) I haven't had fired chicken in what feels like ages. Maybe its been even more than a year?

C) I should take better care of my hair. But I'm too cheap & lazy :/

I gotta say, this community has to be the absolutely best one as poking fun at itself. I don't think you'll find this comfort level in a lot of other places on GAF. Or perhaps I'm just ignorant, I dunno. But yeah, this place has got JOKES LOL
cheap and lazy too
we gotta step it up

I can't get over falsifying evidence and putting innocent people in jail and only serving a year and some change.

What?!

You are a public keeper of the peace, you do that, and only get 18 months? How? HOW? Surely he deserves double the time McGee spent in prison - at bare minmum 8 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom