• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

I can't get over falsifying evidence and putting innocent people in jail and only serving a year and some change.

What?!

You are a public keeper of the peace, you do that, and only get 18 months? How? HOW? Surely he deserves double the time McGee spent in prison - at bare minmum 8 years?

white magic

Forgiveness doesn't mean shit if people don't own up to what they did. At least that cop served time. American government and people STILL hasn't offered an apology or reparations for the damage they did and still continue to inact things that ruin black lives. Nah. Forgiveness is for suckers. The only way to forgive is if America treated its treatment of racial minorities like how Germany treats the Holocaust: with absolute seriousness so that it may never be repeated. That's worth forgiving. Killing an 11 year old kid and getting away with it. That's not worth forgiving. That's worth having boiling anger over.

shagia

I feel it tbh

4 years would feel like a damn eternity and I know I would be nothing but angry, but after the time is done, and an apology is given for the fact that I've done nothing (which most likely wouldn't happen anyway), then I'm moving on, because the stress in trying to "make right" with whoever did it takes time

instead of spending more time on it, I'd just spend my time on what I could have been doing on those 4 years that I was wrongfully locked up for and getting things back on track
(this is probably more easier said than done, though)

I feel it tbh

4 years would feel like a damn eternity and I know I would be nothing but angry, but after the time is done, and an apology is given for the fact that I've done nothing (which most likely wouldn't happen anyway), then I'm moving on, because the stress in trying to "make right" takes time

instead of spending more time on it, I'd just spend my time on what I could have been doing on those 4 years that I was wrongfully locked up for
(this is probably more easier said than done, though)

I think most of us would feel better with an apology and move on. Although he served paltry time, at least he served time.

But working in the same place, hand in hand, singing Kumbaya and telling him you love him? I wouldn't live in the same town as that dude.

shagia

I think most of us would feel better with an apology and move on. Although he served paltry time, at least he served time.

But working in the same place, hand in hand, singing Kumbaya and telling him you love him? I wouldn't live in the same town as that dude.

If he's all for expressing how everything he's done is absolutely wrong, I think I'd be okay. I'd like to believe that reality already hit him too, and things can be so much worse and less 'cute' with what he did. He was a god awful cop who made fake arrests for his own selfish personal gain, got found out, did time, and now he works at a Cafe through faith-based employment, as do I, and is probably known around for making fake arrests for his own personal gain. Things can be worse for him, but because he's there to see other people including myself at a level where he has no authority, I think this by itself would already be defining enough for me.

I feel I wouldn't need anything from him besides an apology, because civilization probably already looks down on his ass.

Don't care if the dude became a pious eunuch, he's forever on my shit list. Wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. Might toss him in a cold lake though instead.

35bd93c5814e12b47dd6b594dd46dc12.jpg

JeanGrey

Ain't no way in hell. Dude is a much better man than me in every sense of the word. I would have drop kicked dude in the throat with some titanium cleats running at full speed on sight. He's gonna catch some hands before we hash it out.

Unless my dude is playing that long con and trying to get him all comfortable and buddy buddy before he brings down the wrath!

DAM right!!! No way Black man gets life ruin white man gets slap on the wrist.

GTFO!!!

Imm0rt4l

That is by far the most angering part of it.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Right? The implication here is that the wrongfully imprisoned somehow shares some sort of culpability. It's not two guys setting aside their differences. It's one man choosing to forgive his persecuter.  This notion that we should simply defer to Jesus when we get fucked over, or that we should be passive is fucking wack.    This went from a twisted feel good story in an eye rolling sort of way to being downright offensive with just the final line in the article. What's our excuse?  What's the excuse that this guy got 1 year for all that he did. Why should margenalized people be held to this saintly standard of forgiveness when getting fucked over?

Right? The implication here is that the wrongfully imprisoned somehow shares some sort of culpability. It's not two guys setting aside their differences. It's one man choosing to forgive his persecuter.  This notion that we should simply defer to Jesus when we get fucked over, or that we should be passive is fucking wack.    This went from a twisted feel good story in an eye rolling sort of way to being downright offensive with just the final line in the article. What's our excuse?  What's the excuse that this guy got 1 year for all that he did. Why should margenalized people be held to this saintly standard of forgiveness when getting fucked over?

I meant the "bitter grounds" pun, but yeah, the whole situation is a dumpster fire. People of color really shouldn't have to include a disclaimer with their actions that goes "ATTN: THIS SITUATION PERTAINS TO ME AND EXPLICITLY ME, SO PLEASE DON'T TRY AND WEAPONIZE IT BY PAINTING ALL PEOPLE OF COLOR IN THIS WAY"

I meant the "bitter grounds" pun, but yeah, the whole situation is a dumpster fire. People of color really shouldn't have to include a disclaimer with their actions that goes "ATTN: THIS SITUATION PERTAINS TO ME AND EXPLICITLY ME, SO PLEASE DON'T TRY AND WEAPONIZE IT BY PAINTING ALL PEOPLE OF COLOR IN THIS WAY"

Compound this with the fact that the multitude of other situations A) Don't include cops/forces who regret their actions B) Include far longer, more damaging sentences C) May also include dead black bodies who don't get their chance to forgive plus the element of a family who is ripple affected by the officer's actions. But sure, what's our excuse?

It's not "for some reason". It's a weapon to put the blame squarely on us. "See? Race relations would be so much easier if you forgave like these people did."

It's also related to slavery. "Ultimately, you're our property. It's best for you to passive and docile."

It's related to a narrative online racists use all the time. "Slavery was good for them! They don't know any better. They're dumb enough to not rise up and rebel. They wanted this."

This is why I always cringe when you have a black person forgiving any wrong doing publicly. In private, sure. Publicly? It gives people with the wrong mindset (which are many) to think we lack teeth, that we are passive people deserving to be tread upon, that we are slaves at heart. I nearly cried with glee when Eric Garner's family didn't forgive shit. When Michael Brown's stepfather said "burn this bitch down" it felt amazing.

akira28

The only one they're fooling is white people. :)

its truly a heartwarming story tho. I was trying to find dude's email address so I could call him a jackass, but all I could find was his twitter. another trend I've noticed, people no longer publicize their emails, their fakebooks and their twitters become their social media rep and way of contact. even more superficial than emails somehow.

Kreed

Speaking of doo doo, thanks for the recommendation, brother. Soap is a hit with everyone. Also, thanks for making soap buying expensive! ��

*thumbs up* And don't worry, it will start paying off in a few weeks.

It's not "for some reason". It's a weapon to put the blame squarely on us. "See? Race relations would be so much easier if you forgave like these people did."

It's also related to slavery. "Ultimately, you're our property. It's best for you to passive and docile."

It's related to a narrative online racists use all the time. "Slavery was good for them! They don't know any better. They're dumb enough to not rise up and rebel. They wanted this."

The quotes are sarcasm. We good, lower your lethal weapons.

akira28

ya'll gone have me looking shiny and new like roy in a few months, I want my high hair, yall. Might even get me a silver streak.

got my nubian heritage black soaps. they would make a few extra million if they came up with a black soap dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom