• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Spoilers!
Ohh you. 😆
But Gordon....DID YOU TELL HIM ABOUT WHEN T'CHALLA [REDACTED] and OH MY GOD IT WAS SO COOL WHEN HE FOUGHT [REDACTED] and THEN [REDACTED].
I don't mind spoilers. I've been all up in that spoiler thread already.
rofl Guys, Shy isn't being nice anymore.
xI17k6L.gif

Crocodile said:

It was pretty obvious what you meant by time. I have no idea what FMAB's issue is, but in my experience, it's the studio rushing the project out for deadlines (time), not getting good manpower (talent), or paying a small amount for the production (money). Even if the show is a AAA property.

Regarding talent exodus in Japan, it's mostly due to the Japanese economy.

http://youtu.be/Mc-0Y1wJkck

I never said the show has bad animation. I just said that doesn't look good. Which is pretty typical of cheap digital. I never condemned digital at all, and actually said it can surpass cel. The problem is that most studios aren't willing to invest in making good digital. Saying that most digital isn't good looking isn't a condemnation. It's just an observation on studio practices.

I don't watch anime anymore. Animation interests me mostly in the form of a job. Hence why I obviously emphasize production. My interest doesn't lie in that of a consumer but that of a creator.

Sch1sm

I miss Sch1sm :(

I'm pretty much back. You could say I had a bit of a trip the past month and a half, between the last stretch of school, finals the past few weeks, and my grandfather dying at the start of the month. Finally have some downtime for myself, and I fully intend on vegetating until September, outside of an 8 week vacation to Kenya I've got coming up end of May.

Been playing some games the past few weeks, though. Earthbound and Dark Souls 3. Anyone finished the latter yet? The issues were strong, and they're now putting through a performance patch after I'm through with it. Every time.

Malyse

I miss Sch1sm :(

I'm pretty much back. You could say I had a bit of a trip the past month and a half, between the last stretch of school, finals the past few weeks, and my grandfather dying at the start of the month. Finally have some downtime for myself, and I fully intend on vegetating until September, outside of an 8 week vacation to Kenya I've got coming up end of May.

Been playing some games the past few weeks, though. Earthbound and Dark Souls 3. Anyone finished the latter yet? The issues were strong, and they're now putting through a performance patch after I'm through with it. Every time.

Oh, this works?

I miss Ishibear. Now she'll show up in 12 pages, yes?

Sch1sm

Oh, this works?

If you click your heels three times and throw a basketball over your head from half court, landing the shot... Ishibear* will show up.

*could just end up being a bear named Ishi, no guarantee.

Kreed

Watching "Dear White People" and the main character just talked about the Gremlins being racist. Was that a joke or was the Gremlins one of those "crows from Dumbo" things that you miss when you're little?

Malyse

Toei puts all of their money in Precure because Precure is essentially their Disney Princess line. Pays for itself many times over with all the toys and tie in merch.

No games though cause why do something silly like that.
If you click your heels three times and throw a basketball over your head from half court, landing the shot... Ishibear* will show up.

*could just end up being a bear named Ishi, no guarantee.

Can I have Steph Curry shoot in my stead?

Anyways, I've been thinking for a while now.

What would it take to create a network TV channel for black people? I'm talking strictly in USA. It should be free like Telemundo or Univision. Also, what would it take to have the first black owned animation studio in America producing shows for that channel? I feel like my goals are too ambitious. It'd be tough given how few black people are in the industry already.

Crocodile

It was pretty obvious what you meant by time. I have no idea what FMAB's issue is, but in my experience, it's the studio rushing the project out for deadlines (time), not getting good manpower (talent), or paying a small amount for the production (money). Even if the show is a AAA property.

Regarding talent exodus in Japan, it's mostly due to the Japanese economy.

http://youtu.be/Mc-0Y1wJkck

I never said the show has bad animation. I just said that doesn't look good. Which is pretty typical of cheap digital. I never condemned digital at all, and actually said it can surpass cel. The problem is that most studios aren't willing to invest in making good digital. Saying that most digital isn't good looking isn't a condemnation. It's just an observation on studio practices.

I don't watch anime anymore. Animation interests me mostly in the form of a job. Hence why I obviously emphasize production. My interest doesn't lie in that of a consumer but that of a creator.

A) You mentioned stuff about "this came out years ago/there's no manga to worry about" especially with regards to Sailor Moon Crystal so perhaps I misunderstood your general point. That doesn't change the fact that I feel time and talent are both more important that money when it comes to animation and art quality. That's the understanding I've acquired by actually following the production and staff of shows that interest me over the years. It's funny because recently, a lot of people were going on about "wow the One Punch Man anime must have a huge budget!". This became such a topic of conversation that the director of the show itself commented that their budget was completely average. Money had little to do with why the show looked so good.

B) I don't disagree that FMA: Brotherhood wasn't a visually ambitious show. I disagree that is looks actively bad and I don't think there is some huge gulf in character and background art between both animated incarnations of the series but honestly, to do the best analysis, I'd have to rewatch both shows which I don't have the time to do. At the very least, I feel confident calling both FMA productions very consistent and reliable.

C) I don't disagree that animators in Japan are severely underpaid and overworked. I think there is certainly an issue of sustainability in the future. As someone who actively follows the production and creation of animation (on both sides of the Pacific but there's a shit ton of anime and I watch/like more of it) I'm not seeing a talent hemorrhage in the East. Excellent anime continues to be produced, the old guard is mostly still in tact and newcomers have been entering the scene to make a name for themselves. Anime could always be in better shape but its in relatively good shape right now.

Watching "Dear White People" and the main character just talked about the Gremlins being racist. Was that a joke or was the Gremlins one of those "crows from Dumbo" things that you miss when you're little?

Hmm. Maybe the shopkeeper was an Asian stereotype?

Otherwise, one could say that [HOTEP]Gizmo was the respectable Negro doing everything that Whitey wanted him to do, shuckin and jivin, but Stripe is all FUCK THE MAN[/HOTEP].

But yeah, it's probably the shopkeeper was an Asian stereotype.

Oh, this works?

I'll help..

Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear Ishibear

Sch1sm

That's a legitimate thing. Gremlins (1984) caught a lot of racist allegations because it reflects African-American stereotypes.

Toei puts all of their money in Precure because Precure is essentially their Disney Princess line. Pays for itself many times over with all the toys and tie in merch.

No games though cause why do something silly like that.

Can I have Steph Curry shoot in my stead?

Gareth Bale is your best bet, though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
After all this i dont want to hear a word about comic talk in this thread

Have a show where the premise is the hero rides a motorcycle

Hardly ever show said hero(es) on said motorcycle(s) cause that costs too much money.

Toei.

Unless the premise of that season is vehicles. But dont expect extras.

A) You mentioned stuff about "this came out years ago/there's no manga to worry about" especially with regards to Sailor Moon Crystal so perhaps I misunderstood your general point. That doesn't change the fact that I feel time and talent are both more important that money when it comes to animation and art quality. That's the understanding I've acquired by actually following the production and staff of shows that interest me over the years. It's funny because recently, a lot of people were going on about "wow the One Punch Man anime must have a huge budget!". This became such a topic of conversation that the director of the show itself commented that their budget was completely average. Money had little to do with why the show looked so good.

B) I don't disagree that FMA: Brotherhood wasn't a visually ambitious show. I disagree that is looks actively bad and I don't think there is some huge gulf in character and background art between both animated incarnations of the series but honestly, to do the best analysis, I'd have to rewatch both shows which I don't have the time to do. At the very least, I feel confident calling both FMA productions very consistent and reliable.

C) I don't disagree that animators in Japan are severely underpaid and overworked. I think there is certainly an issue of sustainability in the future. As someone who actively follows the production and creation of animation (on both sides of the Pacific but there's a shit ton of anime and I watch/like more of it) I'm not seeing a talent hemorrhage in the East. Excellent anime continues to be produced, the old guard is mostly still in tact and newcomers have been entering the scene to make a name for themselves. Anime could always be in better shape but its in relatively good shape right now.

I think you're misunderstanding my general premise. When I say studios aren't willing to invest, I meant more than just on money. Time and talent are also investments. So we seem to agree but you're misunderstanding my words.

I don't doubt they still make quality anime. I haven't watched in years though, besides films, that is.

Regarding talent, economy and outsourcing are big problems. Even now.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703819904574551834260925714
http://m.slashdot.org/story/46632

A lot of these outsourced projects aren't nearly as passionate and why would they be? They're paid slave labor.

Crocodile

I think you're misunderstanding my general premise. When I say studios aren't willing to invest, I meant more than just on money. Time and talent are also investments. So we seem to agree but you're misunderstanding my words.

I don't doubt they still make quality anime. I haven't watched in years though, besides films, that is.

Regarding talent, economy and outsourcing are big problems. Even now.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703819904574551834260925714
http://m.slashdot.org/story/46632

A lot of these outsourced projects aren't nearly as passionate and why would they be? They're paid slave labor.

To that end it seems you're just arguing Sturgeon's Law (Most products are trash - with which I agree with) and that, like every industry on the planet, the Anime industry could and should do a better job of cultivating its talent, paying them better, overworking them less and try what they can do to ethically reverse sales trends and try to find and bolster new audiences. I mean I don't disagree with any of those points but then I'm left confused as to what you're arguing then. Are you not decrying the move towards digital animation? Are you not trying to argue there are fewer passion works in the present than in the past? Do we actually just not disagree on anything and we should just hug it out?

It also seems a lot of the articles you're linking, while not wrong of course, seem to before the proliferation of legal streaming? That was kind of a big game-changer on both the consumer and production side. There are issues, but the production and works of the industry shows a sine wave (some strong years and some weak years) not a strict decline.

I can't find any recent articles on the Japanese animation industry but if I ask contacts I can find soemthing.

It really wasn't a problem with digital at all. Just an observation that cheap digital looks bad and a lot of studios go for cheap results. That's not to say cheap cel doesn't look bad either. I'm not arguing anything. Someone posted a sterile shot, I said that it reminds of some of the cons of digital. That's all. That doesn't mean cel doesn't have cons. It was more of a statement of observation than anything else. I don't really care, digital or cel, all I care about is a job. I do backgrounds, environments, and storyboards so the shift to digital doesn't really affect me.

Walpurgis

Banned
What happened to The Tomorrow Children? I forgot the user's name but he posts here and works at Q Games. I feel like there's been a new development that I've missed since the game seemed pretty done.
God I am glad that thing died out, it's never looked good on anyone.
It is consistently disgusting. Probably the precursor to the "f my shit fam" up style.
AvatarGAF is making feel bad.... Am I seriously the only person on this forum that never seen Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?!
Ignore that hater. FMA: Brotherhood is mandatory watching for all anime fans. Other mandatory shows are Death Note and now Attack on Titan. Not everyone likes these shows or the direction they go in but the vast majority of people love them. Since you're a fan of Avatar, FMA: Brotherhood is so up your alley. The adventure, the learning about the world and uncovering of secrets, the simple rules regarding magic, the diverse cast, and the animation in the fight scenes. It's one of the greats and it is your duty to watch it.

I didn't like the first episode so make sure to give it like 3 or 4. And don't worry about the original series. If you enjoy Brotherhood, you can come back for it (it's the same show up to a point but the original series starts making new content halfway through because it ran out of manga material - it's great too, imo).

akira28

What would it take to create a network TV channel for black people? I'm talking strictly in USA. It should be free like Telemundo or Univision. Also, what would it take to have the first black owned animation studio in America producing shows for that channel? I feel like my goals are too ambitious. It'd be tough given how few black people are in the industry already.

what would it take to protect this new enterprise from the free market? Like BET falling to Viacom.

Are we talking BET or UPN level?

Crocodile

I can't find any recent articles on the Japanese animation industry but if I ask contacts I can find soemthing.

It really wasn't a problem with digital at all. Just an observation that cheap digital looks bad and a lot of studios go for cheap results. That's not to say cheap cel doesn't look bad either. I'm not arguing anything. Someone posted a sterile shot, I said that it reminds of some of the cons of digital. That's all. That doesn't mean cel doesn't have cons. It was more of a statement of observation than anything else. I don't really care, digital or cel, all I care about is a job. I do backgrounds, environments, and storyboards so the shift to digital doesn't really affect me.

Ah ok. Are you a freelancer or is there a specific company you work for (and which)? Which projects have you been staff on? (If you're interested in answering of course. its always cool to check out stuff GAFers have worked on).

I'm curious as to which post/topic this is in reference to :p

Are we talking BET or UPN level?

Univision level. BET sold out but it does provide a basic template. BET produces its own shows but it's not a diverse number. I think black children should see themselves on TV and I think there should be more cartoons with black main characters, black super heroes, that kind of content. Despite being the main black TV channel, BET doesn't make shit like that. It seems mainly geared at adults.

akira28

we got so many black millionaires with holes in their pockets, it does feel like someone could go to each and give them a chance to invest in something long term.

[adult swim]?

Eric Andre and Black Jesus alone put it above ALL of BETs content.

Speaking of which, how did they not get Bad Girls Club? They could have cornered the ratchet market, BET.

I mean granted, I only know what I do anecdotally / based off of how my friends feel about it, but [as]'s black programming has always felt way more authentic and, like, actually rooted in black culture as opposed to most of BET's stuff, which has always felt more like black reality TV to me.

Sou Da

I mean granted, I only know what I do anecdotally / based off of how my friends feel about it, but [as]'s black programming has always felt way more authentic and, like, actually rooted in black culture as opposed to most of BET's stuff, which has always felt more like black reality TV to me.
BETs lineup these days seem to be along the lines of a desperate attempt to recreate CBS sitcoms.

They come off like webshows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom