• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how bout them Mets?
Thanks again, btw..

giphy.gif

RIP, Storm..

It's strange, I have some (okay, like 2) white friends who in times of joking will say stuff like "Ma nigga" and I'll just roll my eyes and I'm not really bothered by it because I know there's no maliciousness behind it and I've known them forever. However, the thing that DOES get me mad is when they start saying shit like "You're the whitest black person I know" That stuff is what gets me fuming

Imm0rt4l

Yeah I don't let any white person call me boy either or any form of nigga or nigger.

My friend Ross has gotten better considering he now goes to Howard. However he didn't go with any sense of pride or anything. I told him about what Coates wrote about it in his book. Thankfully he understood after a few months.

Being allowed to be black in a predominantly white school (we went to UNC) can have some strange results.

Ross ain't woke or anything. Not completely at least. As for me, there's some things I question, so I can't consider myself woke either.
Good on you for putting him on that. Loved coates book. I agree that being black in a predominated white area/school can have some strange effects . I wish I had my own Mecca, like the one Coates described of Howard in Between the World and me. It could have only done me good to be around so much black love since we're bombarded by antiblackness at every which way in this world.

Which reminds me. Ya'll see that thread for the Samantha bBee segment on Trump supporters? The gay black dude....quintessential uncle tom.

Gattsu25

Banned
Which reminds me. Ya'll see thatthe thread for the Samantha bee segment on trump supporters? The gay black dude....quintessential uncle tom.

I felt bad for him. I have a cousin who is exactly the same way.

He hit me with the "If you're going to support democrats, why would you support hillary over bernie? bernie is looking out for all the welfare recipients" last time I saw him. I know he's my cousin and all but he's a goddamned mess.

zeemumu

It's strange, I have some (okay, like 2) white friends who in times of joking will say stuff like "Ma nigga" and I'll just roll my eyes and I'm not really bothered by it because I know there's no maliciousness behind it and I've known them forever. However, the thing that DOES get me mad is when they start saying shit like "You're the whitest black person I know" That stuff is what gets me fuming

Same.

Emma Stone and Jlaw occupy the same brain space for me, but I think I prefer Stone? It's hard to tell them apart honestly.

The difference? Emma Stone plays Asians.

I always say "Hell no" whenever someone asks me if it is cool if they say nigger or nigga around me.

I still remember going to a shop in NYC that had a shirt along the lines of "Of course I'm perfect: I'm Irish" message on it. Store owner refused to sell it to me because I was black (1/2 black, 1/2 white (irish/german) but who the fuck is counting).

People would lose their collective minds if someone made a tshirt that said "Of course I'm perfect: I'm Black" on it. Hell, they lose their minds at "Black Girls Are Magic" and "I Love My Blackness and Yours".

Johndoey

Banned
Man anyone remember Sleeper? Sleeper was fucking fantastic. Essentially perfect super-powered spy drama.

Vacuous, monster of a man.
1dEKqhm.jpg

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
People would lose their collective minds if someone made a tshirt that said "Of course I'm perfect: I'm Black" on it. Hell, they lose their minds at "Black Girls Are Magic" and "I Love My Blackness and Yours".
People get real pissy whenever you add "black" in front of anything.

Afrocious

Had a date lined up tonight and now she's bailed and rescheduled for Tuesday.

There goes my Patrick's Day plans. I took yesterday off too. Dunno what I'm going to do tonight
aside from not spend money and play too much Stardew Valley. I like being lame tbqh.

LionPride

Banned
I now want a shirt that says "Of course I'm perfect: I'm black."

Mrs. Manky, why you put that thought in my head. Now I'm sad it doesn't exist

Afrocious

People in that drumstick vs wing thread don't know what they're talking about.

First season of Daredevil was over long and not particularly interesting, now their jamming in garbage like Elektra and Punisher? Nah

I liked S1, but I'm not feeling what I'm seeing in S2 previews and trailers. Too much shit going on.

Johndoey

Banned
First season of Daredevil was over long and not particularly interesting, now their jamming in garbage like Elektra and Punisher? Nah

Gattsu25

Banned

My favorite part of that season was when he put on the suit and they did the ramp up and the dramatic build up. They finally show what the suit looks like and it's laughable, corny looking, and honestly looked much worse than what he was wearing before.

Nah. Not even.

My favorite part of that season was when he put on the suit and they did the ramp up and the dramatic build up. They finally show was the suit looks like and it's laughable, corny looking, and honestly looked much worse than what he was wearing before.

This, however, is 100% true.

Imm0rt4l

My favorite part of that season was when he put on the suit and they did the ramp up and the dramatic build up. They finally show what the suit looks like and it's laughable, corny looking, and honestly looked much worse than what he was wearing before.
Same

LionPride

Banned
Daredevil Season 2 is the first thing I'm paying attention to when I get home. Fuck basketball, for 13 hours I'm watching greatness.

Oh and in regards to this situation

I may have led a tiny, emotionally fragile, white girl on recently and never told her I don't like her as I was dealing with some shit with another girl.

I may have led her on by doing flirty shit that's just my nature and wasn't on purpose

I may have to tell her I don't like her since she started back talking to me again

I'm positive I made things worse

Malyse

I don't say it to folks outside of a few friends I went to college with. And nowadays I rarely use it, even with those friends since we used it as an adjective to describe things we were doing, such as doing 'nigger shit' - an example being loitering in the cafeteria trying to talk to chicks or staying up to 3 AM on Facebook when you had a final in the morning.

As for names, we would prefix each other's name with nigger or add an N to the beginning. A friend we called Ross (his last name) was referred to as nigger Ross about 80% of the times we hung out. A dude who lived on our hall was named Roberto, so he was called Negro Berto. Dude named Jeremiah? Niggermiah. I was called Narett, which was nigger Jarett.

It was part of this whole new thing for me. I was friends with black folks for the first time in my life. I was accepted. I was allowed to be fucking stupid for once without judgment. I was happy. Granted, I didn't know I was having an identity crisis about accepting who I was as a black man. I was willfully ignorant.

It wasn't until my friend Ross began to hate on HBCUs that I realized I felt wrong. Then came the bias towards lighter skinned girls, then the casual hate on what folks would consider things black people do and being torn on what exactly does it mean for black people to be doing such things, and why should anyone hate or speak down upon them or these things.

Another aspect where Ross and I differed was how he apparently was cool with white people calling him nigger. I told him to never do that. It took him years to realize that shit.

As for me, I'm in a strange place about who I am as a black man, but that's a whole expanded post in itself.

But yeah, we used nigger as a form of appropriation. However the context we'd use it in was pretty condescending in retrospect.
Lemme guess: one of them cuts your hair, right?

Johndoey

Banned
Word? So Summer Glau's powers have evolved. Now she either gets your show cancelled or makes it suck.
Did you know drinking penicillin tea seems to fix up sword wounds and pulverized tissue sustained from falling off a cliff pretty well?

I repeat I want my Static Shock ARPG.

Edit: Psych wad the best police procedurals will ever be.

Afrocious

I still haven't seen Jessica Jones.

I might just go back to anime or something cause Marvel just has me apathetic. I'll check out Daredevil for a bit tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom