• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
how are people done with dare devil already

I dunno. I can't do binge watching. Especially when every time I see that shithead Foggy pretend to act I shut that shit off.

Dai101

Banned
Am i dead yet?

Binged to ep 7 of DD.... now i've to go to open sjop with only 2 hours of sleep and probably i'm catching a cold...

Chingado....

Malyse

I can binge watch, but binge watching for me is like 3 episodes a day over a multi day period...
I max out at around six consecutive hours of any given thing. After a 30-60 minute break I can go for about another four or five before complete mental exhaustion sets in and I have to move to a new medium.

EDIT: except audio. I can listen for around 15 consecutive hours.

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me last night. I didn't want that to go unnoticed. Friends stood up for me against that person on FB, but I didn't want to read anymore, so I just went to bed.

People getting mad about KH not having a good story. Most games don't have good stories. Like, not reading books is destroying society. I weep for the death of print.

Please play better games. You're talking about Obsidian, so you probably have, though. Then again, I don't usually like playing games unless they have a great story, innovated storytelling in games, or are quirky and unique. When I was a kid, Zelda and Paper Mario were godsends because they had worlds I could walk around in with characters I could get to know. Ninja Gaiden NES is a great example: great, difficult action gameplay, but it also told a story in a way games hadn't done at the time. Or Grim Fandango, which is a love letter to golden and silver age noir films. It basically lets you walk around in one. Or Maniac Mansion, which created the term cutscene and created cutscenes that were tied to character schedules, so that characters would move around the mansion on their own. Or The Last Express, which is a real-time video game that lets you experience a very specific period of history aboard a train, along with murder and intrigue. Hell, there's an opera in the game that you can sit down and watch in real-time and leave at any time. And doing that eats up time in the rest of the game.

Games can be incredible. They can tell stories in ways nothing else can. People just don't pay attention to the innovation. The Last Express tanked, for instance. People don't want to play Maniac Mansion because it's obtuse and "ugly". etc. etc. etc.

Malyse

Please play better games. Then again, I don't usually like playing games unless they have a great story, innovated storytelling in games, or are quirky and unique. Ninja Gaiden NES is a great example: great, difficult action gameplay, but it also told a story in a way games hadn't done at the time. Or Grim Fandango, which is a love letter to golden and silver age noir films. It basically lets you walk around in one. Or Maniac Mansion, which created the term cutscene and created cutscenes that were tied to character schedules, so that characters would move around the mansion on their own. Or The Last Express, which is a real-time video game that lets you experience a very specific period of history aboard a train, along with murder and intrigue. Hell, there's an opera in the game that you can sit down and watch in real-time and leave at any time. And doing that eats up time in the rest of the game.

Games can be incredible. They can tell stories in ways nothing else can. People just don't pay attention to the innovation. The Last Express tanked, for instance. People don't want to play Maniac Mansion because it's obtuse and "ugly". etc. etc. etc.
Most ain't doe. Games as a medium has very rarely been used to tell a story that can't be told any other way. The only notable example I can think of is Undertale.

-----

IMG_0212.PNG

Luck be in the air tonight.

Afrocious

Broke my weight loss plateau. Turns out I gotta increase my activity the more weight I lose.

Currently at 222.2

I'm having to put more work in, but I'm liking it because I'm seeing progress in my performance.

Nice. I have not donated to any kick-started and still won't cuz I'm broke. Im slightly deflated about a white director tho. Either way this looks cool.

Ditto. I noticed one black dude in one of the crew photos, but I'm hoping they get more diversity behind the scenes if they receive a chance to move forward with the animated film. Until then, I'll just hope the best comes from the graphic novel.

Imm0rt4l

I liked FF X :(

Chrono Cross' battle system was a pretty big step down from Chrono Trigger IMO
The only thing cross did better is probably music, which was a pretty tall order to begin with. I still don't understand the 10's it got in its day, but it's enjoyable enough.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Man, you can really tell some of those juniors in the Microsoft GDC thread were salivating over seeing some of the responses. Finally got to put out those "Looks like you're trying to stifle their sexuality, huh?!"posts they've had saved up in their minds for years.

If I see a ps4.5 announced at E3 I'm done with console gaming

As long as owners of the previous hardware iteration aren't locked out of new games and there's a strong emphasis on complete backwards compatibility, I welcome the 3~4 year console cycle. The final few years of the PS360 gen were dire. Devs had been ready for that new hardware.

Malyse

BCT convince me to not get a loan for 100k to go back to school
Join the military. Get that GI Bill and come out with no student loans and a better resume.
You'd need to take a 300-level course to figure out KH's story.
Naw. The thing about KH is that it's not nine games with nine stories, but rather one story across nine games. People who complain about the story being confusing are essentially reading the first chapter of a book, reading a chapter from the middle and then skipping to the end. Some of the games are more important (like BBS, [chi], 3D and any numbered game), but to be honest if you really want to get the core story, play KH1, KH2, and KH3D, and watch all the flashbacks and read all the event summaries in 3D. It's more awkward, but you'll get the general story in all of three games. I think most people are trying to weigh everything as equally important and not parsing that a lot of the story and characters are superfluous. Like for example, none of the Disney adapted plots matter at all. No one outside of the end villains of KH1, KH2, BBS, and 3D, the playable characters in the same, Kairi, and everyone in [chi] matters (that's like 16 characters with no more than about four per game).

If you pay attention then it's simple.

Afrocious

https://medium.com/@amelielamont/not-a-black-chair-8a8e7e2b9140

a good read. I was nodding and getting more and more pissed. black corporate ptsd is a thing.

education finance is literally a racket.

you're not wrong.

fuck i feel conflicted. i think i'm just gonna self study and see how that fares.

i feel confident that if i were to go for a master's, i'd go to a HBCU like howard. however that's still a shit ton of money and all i want to do is learn. im not in it for job advancement or whatever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Naw. The thing about KH is that it's not nine games with nine stories, but rather one story across nine games. People who complain about the story being confusing are essentially reading the first chapter of a book, reading a chapter from the middle and then skipping to the end. Some of the games are more important (like BBS, [chi], 3D and any numbered game), but to be honest if you really want to get the core story, play KH1, KH2, and KH3D, and watch all the flashbacks and read all the event summaries in 3D. It's more awkward, but you'll get the general story in all of three games. I think most people are trying to weigh everything as equally important and not parsing that a lot of the story and characters are superfluous. Like for example, none of the Disney adapted plots matter at all. No one outside of the end villains of KH1, KH2, BBS, and 3D, the playable characters in the same, Kairi, and everyone in [chi] matters (that's like 16 characters with no more than about four per game).

If you pay attention then it's simple.

I'm not a part of the fandom, I don't have that kind of insane time. I just can't. All I know is Riku and Sora ate the Paopu fruit together so they should be romantically linked and that's all I know.

Johndoey

Banned
Shy's excitement managed to convince me to watch Daredevil and here I am 8-ish hours later. It definitely better than the first season so far.

Edit: SoraxRiku 5evar.

Imm0rt4l

I'm not a part of the fandom, I don't have that kind of insane time. I just can't. All I know is Riku and Sora ate the Paopu fruit together so they should be romantically linked and that's all I know.
Word. Plus I've read the story as one and it made even less sense. Kh encapsulates everything I dislike about jp videogame storytelling/tropes. It has no real redeeming values aside from disney and square fanservice.

Afrocious

i dont care what you folks say about Kingdom Hearts. the boss fights are on point along with the music.

see the thing KH truly benefits from having a connected storyline is that it does that thing Peter and the Wolf did where characters have themes and you hear them constantly throughout the game in different remixes and stuff.

I went nuts during this fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0wiPZcMy6g

Malyse

Right. They make you cut your hair, so that's out. 🙄
😒
Word. Plus I've read the story as one and it made even less sense. Kh encapsulates everything I dislike about jp videogame storytelling/tropes. It has no real redeeming values aside from disney and square fanservice.

Nah. The games are fun and that's kinda one of the core aspects to a game
------
Speaking of:

http://www.digra.org/dl/db/09287.47134.pdf

Wat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom