• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

http://gamewires.com/

So that's a thing.

-----

Nintendo gives -1 fucks right now. They're riding high on amiibo money, they're dipping into mobile and F2P money, and they have plans to leverage the fuck outta their IP (see also: Nintendo Theme Park). NX could be a massive failure (which it won't) and I'd bet they're still set. You know how Nintendo used to be a playing card company and they still maintain card making? They're about to do that same thing to games: they won't be the primary focus anymore.

Bet on it. In ten years, Nintendo won't be making nearly as much on video games as they will from other products.

cdyhybrid

Nintendo's ace up their sleeve is their first party franchises. Just make a console that's competitive with the other two for third parties, online use, etc. and I'd never buy another console.

Trey

Nintendo's ace up their sleeve is their first party franchises. Just make a console that's competitive with the other two for third parties, online use, etc. and I'd never buy another console.

that's easier said than done, since Sony and Microsoft now have two different generations (more than ten years!) of extended relationships with third party companies - including hardware manufacturers. They both also have profound headstart on online infrastructure. it's not like Nintendo can just snap their fingers and have these things overnight.

this is not even talking about mind share and brand association.

cdyhybrid

that's easier said than done, since Sony and Microsoft now have two different generations (more than ten years!) of extended relationships with third party companies - including hardware manufacturers. They both also have profound headstart on online infrastructure. it's not like Nintendo can just snap their fingers and have these things overnight.

I get that, I'm just saying they don't have to nail something out of left field like they did with the Wii.

Something new like that would get them in the spotlight quicker, but they don't have to reinvent the wheel to cone up with a viable product.

Malyse

Except the part where even after getting fucked on Wii, third parties still were on Wii U at launch. FOMA like a motherfucker; the third parties will always be there. The trick is getting them to stay.

Kreed

Like I said they just need to make a compelling product. I don't think that involves a miracle

Compelling enough to make up for the Ls the Wii U took, which were larger than the Gamecube's, in order to continue competing against the PS4 and the Xbox One which have had a 4 year head start. That sounds like a Wii level miracle to me.

I feel like I should probably watch the Harry Potter movies at some point, because people reference that shit all the time and I've never seen/read any of it.

They're pretty good, but keep your expectations in check. Not having read the books will actually help you enjoy the movies slightly since you won't be checking for a 1:1 with the source material.

Trey

Except the part where even after getting fucked on Wii, third parties still were on Wii U at launch.

what, a sideport of some ps360 games that would release on the sega saturn if they could, and zombie U? Third parties knew what it was as soon as the hardware specs for the Wii U was announced.

Infinite

Compelling enough to make up for the Ls the Wii U took, which were larger than the Gamecube's, in order to continue competing against the PS4 and the Xbox One which have had a 4 year head start. That sounds like a Wii level miracle to me.
Not at all. All they need to do is not repeat the mistakes the Wiiu made. The Wii was an interesting product to the masses because the idea of motion controls was very compelling along with its price. It doesn't take a miracle it just takes marketing genius and foresight.

Trey

Not at all. All they need to do is not repeat the mistakes the Wiiu made. The Wii was an interesting product to the masses because the idea of motion controls was very compelling along with its price. It doesn't take a miracle it just takes marketing genius and foresight.

it takes accidentally stumbling onto a market two years before it properly takes off on mobile. you can tell Nintendo had no clue when they chased the same exact demographic with the Wii U years after it moved to cheaper and much more utilitarian devices.

Infinite

it takes accidentally stumbling onto a market two years before it properly takes off on mobile. you can tell Nintendo had no clue when they chased the same exact demographic with the Wii U years after it moved to cheaper and much more utilitarian devices.
They didn't stumble into that market they created it.

Edit: with the wiiu they simply lacked the foresight to see that the product they created wasn't going to resonate with that same audience (no one gave a shit about the tablet controller when they have iPads now. Hell they admitted to such themselves) and marketing was ass. Calling it the wiiu was a mistake on top of others. That and there was no launch window games people gave a shit about. We got an endless supply of party games breh. The wiius mistakes are very easy to avoid.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
what, a sideport of some ps360 games that would release on the sega saturn if they could, and zombie U? Third parties knew what it was as soon as the hardware specs for the Wii U was announced.
Say what you will about terrible third party support but zombiu was legit

Nintendos biggest problem with Wii u was probably their R&D cycle
and marketing
Wii u came out 2 years too late

Johndoey

Banned
QiVL1mw.jpg

Malyse

Say what you will about terrible third party support but zombiu was legit

Nintendos biggest problem with Wii u was probably their R&D cycle
and marketing
Wii u came out 2 years too late

The biggest problem was calling it Wii U.

You know, the irony is that the Wii U might have sold better if it really was a $300 Wii tablet attachment.

-----

This is for y'all who are interested in muscles.
Looking at muscles, not getting them. Manly muscles.
Maybe not open at work?
You're welcome.

I always hated him on P&R. They made him the nice guy but he had the douchiest face. Idk what it is about his face but I want to punch it so bad.

He was great on Party Down.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
the name argument has no merit since nearly all Nintendo products were named after their predecessors and had no problems. Nintendo just didn't know how to market their console, destroyed what little 3rd party relationships they had left, and put out their weak uninteresting console too late. The name was the least offensive part of the package.

Kreed

That's what I'm saying. Motion controls was the miracle they needed for the Wii that got everyone to forget about the Gamecube and N64 and get systems in droves over the PS3 and Xbox 360. The NX needs that Wii equivalent more than ever since they are coming from a bigger L. More games are important but how do you get 3rd parties to provide those games over the Xbox One and the PS4? Unless they plan on doing a bunch of Bayonetta deals, they need that Wii level hook to draw them in and away from the PS4 and Xbox One (because ports aren't going to cut it).

Trey

They didn't stumble into that market they created it.

as arguable a starting point this is, I'll accept it. Because even under this premise, Nintendo had two and a half years of solid returns before Wii sales fell of a cliff. Meanwhile, they forged no third party connections, and their online features were - and continue to be - a punch line. this is fundamentally misunderstanding what the casual low price of entry market wanted - Nintendo thought it was waggle and gaming tethered to a box device w/ full priced games.

that's why the Wii U failed on a conceptual level. It's practically only for people who like nintendo games, because Nintendo thought people wanted more Wii.

The biggest problem was calling it Wii U.

the biggest problem was it was 300+ dollars, severely under powered, and only had nintendo games to offer.

Malyse

the name argument has no merit since nearly all Nintendo products were named after their predecessors and had no problems. Nintendo just didn't know how to market their console, destroyed what little 3rd party relationships they had left, and put out their weak uninteresting console too late. The name was the least offensive part of the package.

NES
Super NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii

Not for consoles. My argument is that people didn't know what it was and the similar naming convention didn't help. Plus the form factor is incredibly similar. It would be easy for someone to mistake a Wii U sans controller for a Wii. They stuck way too close to the previous gen and it burned them.

I don't know what this is or what it means, but I'm going to assume it's appreciation and say "You're welcome". Any clarification to dissuade me of that conclusion will be ignored.

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah, the name thing was just weak logic. No one could port to it easily and that made a quick scape goat.

The bigger issue is lack of games. That revolves around the power of the console, third parties willingness to try when the other two guys have a good platform and good sales and are still handing out free money for big games. If Nintendo get parity, Sony and MS are still giving out money hats. No need to give out money hats when you don't make billions a quarter or you feel your games are fundamentally better.

MS is okay but pricing out a competitor so they can push their used games bs will hurt everybody. So, go Sony?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, the name thing was just weak logic. No one could port to it easily and that made a quick scape goat.

The bigger issue is lack of games. That revolves around the power of the console, third parties willingness to try when the other two guys have a good platform and good sales and are still handing out free money for big games. If Nintendo get parity, Sony and MS are still giving out money hats. No need to give out money hats when you don't make billions a quarter or you feel your games are fundamentally better.

MS is okay but pricing out a competitor so they can push their used games bs will hurt everybody. So, go Sony?
i don't even think power parity means anything except to the hardcore gamer. It was a lack of courting third parties as well as terrible marketing that didn't garner any sales. These two things drove off the game makers and the marketing drove off the consumers. The easy to port thing doesn't matter when you're actually getting pubs on your side willing to put in the work and you have an audience to get those ports too. Let's not forget the game pad driving up the cost for consumers. It was just a console not designed to have any one but Nintendo fans play it.

andthebeatgoeson

the biggest problem was it was 300+ dollars, severely under powered, and only had nintendo games to offer.
This. No one was checking for a cheap console. I say they need a $399 beast with that Wii u pro controller. Put everything into power to wow them; something clearly above and beyond the PS4. Hope for excitement and some sales. Hope to put a dent into Sony and pray you can force Sony into launching early.

Try to get relevant. They put a new Zelda on there with visuals to rival a decent PC and you have something. Fuck VR or any other gimmick. Visuals are what push people away from Nintendo. Master system, Genesis and PlayStation. Pretty images have fuck over Nintendo.

Infinite

That's what I'm saying. Motion controls was the miracle they needed for the Wii that got everyone to forget about the Gamecube and N64 and get systems in droves over the PS3 and Xbox 360. The NX needs that Wii equivalent more than ever since they are coming from a bigger L. More games are important but how do you get 3rd parties to provide those games over the Xbox One and the PS4? Unless they plan on doing a bunch of Bayonetta deals, they need that Wii level hook to draw them in and away from the PS4 and Xbox One (because ports aren't going to cut it).
That's what they gonna have to do to get 3rd party exclusives. Or they can continue to do stuff like have Namco develop Pokken and Smash bros. I don't think the NX is endanger of not receiving any multiplatform support so as long as they make it compatible with the current engines everyone is using (unreal 4) and in general 3rd parties have to believe in it. That wasn't the case with the WiiU but 3rd parties at that point weren't convinced console gaming was gonna go anywhere after the ps360 and they bet hard on free to play, always online, and microtransactions.

Also on that front they have their own first party library to provide the exclusives. Tbh my wiiu gets more play than my ps4 (although that's changing because of SFV) due to the Nintendo exclusives. However they need to cast a wide net and continue to appeal to different age demographics and incorporate different and modern gameplay styles and conventions into their games. An example being the next legend of Zelda being open world, Splatoon being a service as well as a multiplayer shooter, and Mario maker being what it is. I'm sure they have more ideas up their sleeves.

Nintendo didn't seem to have their shit together with hd development so those aforementioned efforts were too little too late.

But yeah I think we agree they need Wii level hook to the product but I'm not sure what that can be.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm too busy looking at old breitbart articles.

Hey, I'm not defending the name and it probably contributed but third parties abandoned it in the beginning. EA talked about their 'partnership' then was ghost before there first holiday season. Games make the console. Then, everybody saw the slaughter coming. No word of mouth was happening. That was based on the games; terrible third party lineup and ho hum first party line up. People wanted galaxy 3 and got nsmb 3.5 and a low key, great, horror game.

To be following the sales leader, everyone expected a brick. Fuck the name; show me one reasonable person who expected success prelaunch. Cuz everyone expected Tyga sales.

Malyse

Is Great Detective Pikachu the shortest gap between announcement and release for Nintendo? It came out a week after the first trailer.

Infinite

Is Great Detective Pikachu the shortest gap between announcement and release for Nintendo? It came out a week after the first trailer.
Not really it was announced to be in development years ago.

It's like y'all don't get marketing and how powerful it is.

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox one

Microsoft doesn't have this problem because they have effective advertisers on their team.

Yeah. I think more damaging was the controller and the way it marketed People mistakenly thought the wiiu was a peripheral of sorts for the wii. My sister was buying the thing for her son two years ago and she told me she thought it was just a controller.

Malyse

It's like y'all don't get marketing and how powerful it is.

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox one

Microsoft doesn't have this problem because they have effective advertisers on their team.

The name might have helped some of that if it were more high concept: Wii U, on its own, does not communicate “This is a new console” in the manner that “PlayStation 4” or "Xbox 360" does.

Furthermore, it's not like any of Microsoft or Sony consoles look remotely as similar as the Wii U to the Wii.

That doesn't look like a new system. That looks like a redesign.

ps3-slider.jpg

Yeah. I think more damaging was the controller and the way it marketed People mistakenly thought the wiiu was a peripheral of sorts for the wii. My sister was buying the thing for her son two years ago and she told me she thought it was just a controller.

Part of that is because of the name. Wii U, Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Motion Plus, Wii Fit board. That all sounds like additions to your Wii.

Slayven

Who else feels the Brussels attack is that thing to be concerned about pushing Trump presidency firmly into probability -_-
I am going to be real, and it might sound mean. But it will be forgotten in a week, if it had happen in the USA yeah, but Americans lose interest quick outside their borders.

Gattsu25

Banned
Nintendo is consistently the only company that makes me double and triple and quadruple check my purchase before making it because I'm confused.

Happened with the WiiU because the console looks so damned similar to the Wii and it happened again when I was trying to figure out which fucking Fire Emblem Fates to pick up.

What Nintendo needs to not do is release a new console, three years into the PS4 lifespan, that is comparable in power to a PS4.

Kreed

I am going to be real, and it might sound mean. But it will be forgotten in a week, if it had happen in the USA yeah, but Americans lose interest quick outside their borders.

^This. I'd be more worried about the Republicans producing a tape with Hilary or Bill saying black and latino slurs.

Nah man

The effect would be a lot higher if it was domestic but remember how Paris was. Remember that thread about why Paris got so much attention while multiple, sometimes worse attacks in browner places got ignored, and how people freely admitted that they care more about people who look like them.

For the Trumpling or the person dull enough to be considering him as an option, this is the kind of fear push that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom