• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

Man i can't feel my hands to good.
Feel pretty good though. Nice out today.

Nephew liked the orcs, he thought all the human folk were dull.

--
Anyone ever slept in a drainage ditch? Everyone thinks you're dead when they see you. It's not haha funny but it's a good over drinks story.

This is a pretty good summary of what was odd and what was done well. The Humans had this weird "Eurotrash" thing going on that might be there to appeal to a Chinese idea of what Europeans are like. It stands out immediately and is off putting to western sensibilities, but it also gives more room for the Orc's to have a better range and dynamics to develop them as the center of the story. In that manner, they absolutely nailed it. Where it falls apart though is that there is so much Human stuff that falls flat, it drags the whole thing down overall.

Maybe there were some cuts that should have stayed in, but I don't really think added time would help to fit this film into a Western set of sensibilities and make it marketable elsewhere. It's interesting to see what happens when a full on Hollywood production and film is actually built for people outside of a western market as it's financial focus. I hope it does well cos like I said, I want to see what happens next.

andthebeatgoeson

lead_large.jpg

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...captures-race-and-policing-in-america/490664/

I bought some vanity plates but tell me why it's an extra 40 bucks on my car registration per year now.

They know what y'all like. I heard Apple will charge for bass in all new releases. Treble is free.

Slayven

Y'all ready for that prime day tomorrow?

You know it will be wack and full of shit lootcrate wouldn't even give away

FyreWulff

Y'all ready for that prime day tomorrow?

You know it will be wack and full of shit lootcrate wouldn't even give away

it's like when you have the raffle at work and it's literally the 5$ grab bag box from Oriental Trading Company of random plastic stuff.

I even worked AT Oriental Trading Company and the internal prizes were... the 5$ random shit box stuff.

Kreed

Really hate the amount of gymnastics people make just to excuse cops killing black people. "If only the black victims had fathers at home raising them, this wouldn't have happened". Never see this shit when people are mass murdered in movie theaters, dance clubs, and fucking schools by loner males and wannabe terrorists. "Oh, if those kids in Sandy Hook hadn't have had criminal records, that little loner boy wouldn't have shot them all".

We might all just have to start investing in bullet proof vests.

FyreWulff

I always wondered how they made money, people really buy that shit?

OTC's crap costs them like 10 cents to make per box and they sell bulk. Every time you see a bunch of colored armbands for an event, or random little plastic door prizes somewhere, or a big box of basic toys as prizes somewhere, it was likely ordered from Oriental Trading Company. Their volume is redic.

They also do stupid numbers during the holiday season. Since they sell a bunch of craft items people will fuck yell at you if you don't have any more of the Room Wall Wrap to sell on the phone. Schoolteachers and church ladies have the Christmas room wraps sold out in fucking September.

Also fun fact: the founder of OTC is no longer in control of the company because he had a bit of a gambling problem and literally gambled away OTC. They are/went through bankruptcy to recover from his dumb ass.

Slayven

Really hate the amount of gymnastics people make just to excuse cops killing black people. "If only the black victims had fathers at home raising them, this wouldn't have happened". Never see this shit when people are mass murdered in movie theaters, dance clubs, and fucking schools by loner males and wannabe terrorists. "Oh, if those kids in Sandy Hook hadn't have had criminal records, that little loner boy wouldn't have shot them all".

And that is coming from "allies"
OTC's crap costs them like 10 cents to make per box and they sell bulk. Every time you see a bunch of colored armbands for an event, or random little plastic door prizes somewhere, or a big box of basic toys as prizes somewhere, it was likely ordered from Oriental Trading Company. Their volume is redic.

They also do stupid numbers during the holiday season. Since they sell a bunch of craft items people will fuck yell at you if you don't have any more of the Room Wall Wrap to sell on the phone. Schoolteachers and church ladies have the Christmas room wraps sold out in fucking September.

Also fun fact: the founder of OTC is no longer in control of the company because he had a bit of a gambling problem and literally gambled away OTC. They are/went through bankruptcy to recover from his dumb ass.

Damn, you didn't work at Finger Hut too did you? Cause nobody ever paid them.

Wasn't Dylan Roof's dad supposedly abusive? Harris and Klebold lived with both their parents, right? One military dad even? Shit..better start profiling!

FyreWulff

Damn, you didn't work at Finger Hut too did you? Cause nobody ever paid them.

Nope.

OTC does catalog ordering still but most of their business is phone ordering (Omaha is the call center capital of the United States, if you call an 800 number for decades it was likely answered by a worker in Omaha) which is CC only, so they make sure they get paid.

They also had super high security. You had to pass through a security gate to even get into work. It was both to protect us from people but they would also randomly check you as you left because the warehouse and the call center were in the same building.

It was also funny when some people would try to vent their outsourcing frustrations at me

"Where are you at?"

"Omaha, Nebraska"

"Okay then.. if that's true, what's the weather like?"

"Sir, there's a blizzard outside with 2 feet of snow. I don't know if I can feel my fingers anymore. Would you like to order a box of 100 assorted plastic easter eggs or not?"

Slayven

Nope.

OTC does catalog ordering still but most of their business is phone ordering (Omaha is the call center capital of the United States, if you call an 800 number for decades it was likely answered by a worker in Omaha) which is CC only, so they make sure they get paid.

They also had super high security. You had to pass through a security gate to even get into work. It was both to protect us from people but they would also randomly check you as you left because the warehouse and the call center were in the same building.

It was also funny when some people would try to vent their outsourcing frustrations at me

"Where are you at?"

"Omaha, Nebraska"

"Okay then.. if that's true, what's the weather like?"

"Sir, there's a blizzard outside with 2 feet of snow. I don't know if I can feel my fingers anymore. Would you like to order a box of 100 assorted plastic easter eggs or not?"

Why was it the call center capital? Cheap and plenty labor?

FyreWulff

Why was it the call center capital? Cheap and plenty labor?

Our accent is closest to the "broadcast accent" you hear on the news so that makes the reason why they like to stay here, but also because for some reason the way the telephone laws and backbone were set up, if you were a company you could have a 800 number set up within a day in a certain area of Omaha.

https://blog.ringcentral.com/2009/04/the-history-of-800-numbers/

So the momentum carried off from being the cheapest/fastest place in the country to set it up, yeah. Every person that lives here likely at least has one call center in their job history.

Slayven

Our accent is closest to the "broadcast accent" you hear on the news so that makes the reason why they like to stay here, but also because for some reason the way the telephone laws and backbone were set up, if you were a company you could have a 800 number set up within a day in a certain area of Omaha.

https://blog.ringcentral.com/2009/04/the-history-of-800-numbers/

So the momentum carried off from being the cheapest/fastest place in the country to set it up, yeah. Every person that lives here likely at least has one call center in their job history.

Is it an at will state?

I worked for a call center in an at will state and they use to pull some bullshit.

FyreWulff

Is it an at will state?

I worked for a call center in an at will state and they use to pull some bullshit.

yep

super notorius for high turnover too. When I was trying to get a second job recently, I applied at one of the call centers around here. The longest employment of anyone in upper management was 9 months.. even shorter for the actual call workers.

Slayven

yep

super notorius for high turnover too. When I was trying to get a second job recently, I applied at one of the call centers around here. The longest employment of anyone in upper management was 9 months.. even shorter for the actual call workers.

Damn, and managment is the "safe" department.

Man i did 6 years time in a call center. Wonder how i lasted so long? I worked third shift. We didn't do shit......it felt like we were stealing money.

Man the stories, like how they fired 70 people during a lunch hour.

Who was fucking who.

Call centers is like a high school but worse

FyreWulff

Damn, and managment is the "safe" department.

Man i did 6 years time in a call center. Wonder how i lasted so long? I worked third shift. We didn't do shit......it felt like we were stealing money.

Man the stories, like how they fired 70 people during a lunch hour.

Who was fucking who.

Call centers is like a high school but worse

Yeah overnight is one of the better shifts, since you tend to be more under the radar..ish. I have an overnight second job right now and it's steady work but also all of upper management are never going to show their faces past 6pm so it's more laid back.

fucks with your perception of what day it is though

Daft Punk

Banned
So I was told this is the place for the cool cats on GAF.

Where you're from - West Philadelphia.
Where you live - Currently in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.
What is your age? - Just turned 27.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Half Black/Cherokee on Mom's side, Creole on Dad's side.
Do you know your roots - Yes. Family started when Slave owner raped my great x20 grandmother. Been here ever since.
Favorite musical genre - Electronic and Rap.
Your profession/major/career interest - Just graduated with a degree in Comp Sci. Trying to go back for my Bachelor's.
Your religious affiliation - Non denom Christian.
Hobbies - Games, working out, etc.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Hmm. I would say Bojangles, but I'll go with KFC.

Also yes to sugar in grits. Come at me bruh.

Malyse

IGDB.com is shaping up.

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Half Black/Cherokee on Mom's side, Creole on Dad's side.
Do you know your roots - Yes. Family started when Slave owner raped my great x20 grandmother. Been here ever since.
Your profession/major/career interest - Just graduated with a degree in Comp Sci. Trying to go back for my Bachelor's.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Hmm. I would say Bojangles, but I'll go with KFC.

Marvel or DC? -
Favorite superhero? -
Anime or Nah? -
Favorite sport and team? -
Favorite Disney movie? -

Slayven

Yeah overnight is one of the better shifts, since you tend to be more under the radar..ish. I have an overnight second job right now and it's steady work but also all of upper management are never going to show their faces past 6pm so it's more laid back.

fucks with your perception of what day it is though
I use to show up at work for training and shit and people be like "You still work here?"

I was twice hit on while working there. Once by a deaf gay man who was using TTY relay, and by 2 women that were high as hell.
Yo...I'd think about going to a Lauryn Hill concert in 2016 if tickets were cheap enough

You must have a lot of time on your hands

I am bout to up my tv game, should I get a smart tv or a big tv and fire tv with kodi?

Right here. I have a smart tv and haven't used those features in years. Let me know when you get it and I'll send you some links to set it up and install whatever Android shit you like..

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Welcome!

Warning you ahead of time there is an anime part to the BCT cycle. Take that as you will.

andthebeatgoeson

First bold: Bruh, what's up? Used to live in Wynnefield

Second bold: Bruh, wut? Scust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom