• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I really appreciate whatya'll do with the podcast, Morris, angelus, and dreams.

*side eyes Slayven

Also shoutout to Angelus for steady propping up black women.

I have a relative on fb who exhibits signs of self loathing and she's a fairly prominent gamer. So she'll on occassion say some antifeminist shit coupled with respectability politics/lowkey anti blackness. I feel like I can't really confront her, this is core to her identity. Being "the cool chick" in a den of fuckboys that share a liking to nerd culture is her thing. I just don't think there's any nice way to say "Everything you project demonstrates that you hate yourself and your more interested in coddling your friends who uphold white supremacy, mysoginy/mysoginioir".

My new mic is on the way

Shy

You mean the last good one?
That's what i hear.
I tried playing it, but that combat....

scust.png
Ahh.
Boyega da GAWD in Pacific Rim 2
Noice. Break a leg fam. (i just assume he's one of you gents. But understandably keeping it on the down lo)
My new mic is on the way
Noice.

I like hearing you on the show.

Johndoey

Banned
I really like how vocal Ninja Theory has been about Hellblade's development. A lot of cool stuff in the dev diaries.

They're stilted because it's the devs speaking, but cool.

It seems they are trying to be respectful on the subject of mental health and living with mental health challenges. Hopefully it translates well.

That's what i hear.
Noice. Break a leg fam. (i just assume he's one of you gents. But understandably keeping it on the down lo)

I'm pretty sure he is a London BCTer.

I understand John, you don't want to be associated with horses, bears, ain't shit niggas, dude's whos mothers drag them to all the old ass concerts, and Slay.

Johndoey

Banned
Mulligan
--
Excepting the art style (which isn't particularly unique in either case) I don't see the Overwatch comparison honestly.

Aiustis

Any SR > Any GTA.

Saints Row imo is just more fun. It's one of the rare open world games I'll play. I know SRIV seems to get a lot of hate but it's a winner simply for Saints of Rage and the They Live reference.

Im more a True Crime NY and Sleeping Dogs kinda guy

I didn't know you could skip that long ass intro in Sleeping Dogs so I never went back to try it again.

I still own it since I think it was a game with Gold.

Numb

Saints Row imo is just more fun. It's one of the rare open world games I'll play. I know SRIV seems to get a lot of hate but it's a winner simply for Saints of Rage and the They Live reference.

I didn't know you could skip that long ass intro in Sleeping Dogs so I never went back to try it again.

Undercover cop with environmental combat and cock fighting
Emma Stone is in it

Shy

Im more a True Crime NY and Sleeping Dogs kinda guy
I bought Sleeping Dogs on a whim when it first came out, not expecting anything from it. AND I FUCKING LOVED IT. one of my fav games that year.

You need to play it, and experience it's greatness.

Also the intro isn't that long.
Also Sleeping dogs is the game that people flat out slept on.
Yeah, that a real shame. 😞

Numb

I bought Sleeping Dogs on a whim when it first came out, not expecting anything from it. AND I FUCKING LOVED IT. one of my fav games that year.

You need to play it, and experience it's greatness.

Also the intro isn't that long.

Yeah, that a real shame. 😞
Glad it rose from the ashes of that true crime cancelled game
Sleeping Dogs is my favourite GTA-clone (though GTAV still reigns supreme).

Glad to see Boyega take the lead in Pacific Rim 2. Can't wait.
Excitement for Pacific rim 2 was high
And couldn't get any higher with Boyega in it now

Malyse

Nah GTA has mostly been a strong series as opposed to the one good Saints title, and Sleeping Dogs has it's fans.
I prefer having fun in my games. Especially when it doesn't break character like GTA4. The "Power" mission in The Third is one of the greatest missions of all time. Jonny Gat > every character in GTA and the Dubstep Gun is hilariously wonderful. Game of the Century indeed. Sleeping Dogs is amazing in its own rights too. Best combat in any open world crime game and "Fuse" is a great song. Oh and Saint's Row has female playable characters and minorities, so the Housers can fuck *right* off.

Johndoey

Banned
I wish I found SR3 funny or charming in any fashion. It's just one of those things I can't hang with.

Other than that Sleeping Dogs is a personal favorite of mine from the past few years.

Still waiting for a proper SR2 follow-up, one day.
---
Article on sales of Anti Clinton products.

http://time.com/4357406/hillary-clinton-sexist-donald-trump

Sam Costantino has found much the same thing with his online decal business. “Anti-Trump stuff is not selling. It’s just the anti-Hillary stuff that’s selling,” he says, estimating that the Hillary merchandise is 100 times more popular. Particularly, it’s the sexualized, gender-specific stuff that sells best, making him about $10,000 since the start of the election. Top sellers include buttons with lines like “Hillary will go down faster than Bill’s pants” and “Trump that Bitch.”

Gattsu25

Banned
I just found out a few minutes ago but Pres. Obama declared June 2016 as this year's Caribbean-American Heritage Month

Merc_

Damn, how did I miss this post by Figboy79 that was linked in the new Anita thread on gaming side? I did the same sort of shit when I would try and write stories back went I was younger. It's always eye opening and vaguely angering when you realize how you've internalized some aspects of white supremacy simply by growing up in this society.

cdyhybrid

Damn, how did I miss this post by Figboy79 that was linked in the new Anita thread on gaming side? I did the same sort of shit when I would try and write stories back went I was younger. It's always eye opening and vaguely angering when you realize how you've internalized some aspects of white supremacy simply by growing up in this society.
That's a hell of a post.

Very moving and all too relatable. On top of that, the few black characters I did draw were always angry. It's really only in the last few years that I've come to realize all the the fucked up beliefs about black people I had internalized (and perpetuated in my artwork) due to their prevalence throughout the various portrayals of us in media..

Johndoey

Banned
Ah that's a great post.

Zekes!

Yup. All my characters that I created for my art or stories were mostly white up until I had that realization. I remember Bryan Lee O'Malley (of Scott Pilgrim fame) saying something to the effect that he unconsciously made most of the characters in SP white when someone pointed it out to him.

Funny things is that in regards to character creators in video games, I always make my characters way darker than I am, as I look pretty much white.

Yup. All my characters that I created for my art or stories were mostly white up until I had that realization. I remember Bryan Lee O'Malley (of Scott Pilgrim fame) saying something to the effect that he unconsciously made most of the characters in SP white when someone pointed it out to him.

Here's the blog post in case anyone else wants to read it. Thought it was pretty brave of him to admit that. Made me gain a lot of respect for him. Seconds was a huge improvement w/r/t diversity.

Johndoey

Banned
D.A.R.E to reject horse racing solitaire.
-
Bored, need to get back to Saga or gtaV, or a book.
--
Of course Dana White continues to be a fuck up.

Gattsu25

Banned

Yeah, that post is some powerful truth.

I think it needs to be in the OP

Mizerman

That...was an awesome post.

I remember that post and this is exactly why it irks me when I see those posts saying why does it matter if a character is black or not.

I also found out that the new Miss USA is a dark skin black woman named Deshauna..

tumblr_o8cea65oNY1ubepnko9_1280.png

tumblr_o8cea65oNY1ubepnko8_400.gif

I think I now know why yesterday was dark skin appreciation day on the social media.

Mortemis

Banned

That's a damn good post, with a powerful statement. It really can't be overstated just how much some diversity in our media would help all of us.

As a kid I always drew my main characters black, but that was mostly because I started in most of my stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom