• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
Gugu Mbatha-Raw >> both of them
Yes

MV5BMTUxMjM1MzgxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI0NDE5NQ@@._V1_UY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Malyse

Hillary has the delegates now.
Damn, how did I miss this post by Figboy79 that was linked in the new Anita thread on gaming side? I did the same sort of shit when I would try and write stories back went I was younger. It's always eye opening and vaguely angering when you realize how you've internalized some aspects of white supremacy simply by growing up in this society.
Thanks for reminding me of this. I had lost my link to it and that is the only reason I hadn't added it. Gonna Radiomaru in there too.

Also, this is why I conciously made every character in my project a minority.
I remember that post and this is exactly why it irks me when I see those posts saying why does it matter if a character is black or not.

I also found out that the new Miss USA is a dark skin black woman named Deshauna..

tumblr_o8cea65oNY1ubepnko9_1280.png

tumblr_o8cea65oNY1ubepnko8_400.gif

I think I now know why yesterday was dark skin appreciation day on the social media.
14651789718287.jpg

Litan

Damn, how did I miss this post by Figboy79 that was linked in the new Anita thread on gaming side? I did the same sort of shit when I would try and write stories back went I was younger. It's always eye opening and vaguely angering when you realize how you've internalized some aspects of white supremacy simply by growing up in this society.
I loved to draw when I was in school, even created a few of my own comics.
Now that I think about it, a lot of my characters were white even though I grew up in the Caribbean.
Then again, we consume a lot of American media.

I remember one time I was watching a movie and I found myself wishing I was white because the white characters were so good looking and had such nice hair and etc.
I would spend the next few years feeling ashamed everytime I looked back on that moment.

akira28

she's.... delightful.

and pretty fit.

edit: I drew anthros like the ninja turtles... and cars and guns and jets. Don't think it occurred to me to draw a white person because I could never draw figures well enough anyway...

Johndoey

Banned
The Young Turks are going through agonies to keep Sanders hope alive, I figured they would've cooled off by now.
-
World of Final Fantasy looks adorable, I want all the cute little plushies it's sure to spawn.

So, old white folks showin they ass on Facebook about Ali. This one dude shared a pic talking about how Rocky Marciano was better than Ali. So I tagged a friend and we trolled the hell out of his comment section by going full Coming to America.

Y'all know what I mean

Me: "There we go! THERE WE GO!! Every time we talk about boxing, a white person always got to bring up Rocky Marciano. Rocky Mariano!!! Rocky Marciano!!! Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Lewis... ROCKY MARCIANO WONT SHIT!!!!

Him: He beat Joe Lewis ass.

Me: Joe Lewis was 75 years old when he fought Rocky Marciano!!!

Him: I don't know how old he was but he still got his ass whooped.

This guy has no idea what were talking about at this point. So we kept going, y'all know how the rest goes. So he notices we're trolling the fuck out of him by the time we start talking about Frank Sinatra so he deletes the post.

D i Z

The Young Turks are going through agonies to keep Sanders hope alive, I figured they would've cooled off by now.
-
World of Final Fantasy looks adorable, I want all the cute little plushies it's sure to spawn.

GTA is some shit that people with no imaginations love to hold their hand through busted ass mechanics, and trite gameplay. That series barely passes to this day on its angry Scots take on American life. The shit is more insulting than it is actual satire or commentary other than how to release a product that stays broken for years, but people are too stupid NOT to buy several copies of the exact same shit down the line. Yeah, this is about what was said before the edit.

Imm0rt4l

GTA is some shit that people with no imaginations love to hold their hand through busted ass mechanics, and trite gameplay. That series barely passes to this day on its angry Scots take on American life. The shit is more insulting than it is actual satire or commentary other than how to release a product that stays broken for years, but people are too stupid NOT to buy several copies of the exact same shit down the line. Yeah, this is about what was said before the edit.

jfc

who hurt you

GTA isn't above criticism, but God damn

D i Z

jfc

who hurt you

GTA isn't above criticism, but God damn

Responding to a comment before the edit. And GTA needs to get its due for its short comings, and more so for the bullshit that it peddles. I'd personally like to see one honest conversation about the series. But it's not going to happen when people frame it and make wall space for it like it was an invite to Trump plaza.

Responding to a comment before the edit. And GTA needs to get its due for its short comings, and more so for the bullshit that it peddles. I'd personally like to see one honest conversation about the series. But it's not going to happen when people frame it and make wall space for it like it was an invite to Trump plaza.

Those short comings aren't really that bad compared to say what Bethesda pulls out though. They would have to really bother you.

Imm0rt4l

I don't totally disagree with you. But entering into a conversation with those comments is anything but honest, to say your rant is hyperbole is being very generous. I would dismiss any of your thoughts on the game just off that alone because it isn't objective. But there is definitely a conversation to be had on its characterizations, the parody, the culture it ascribes to and what it projects onto gamers.

harSon

Banned
Put him in a movie where he didn't write or direct, he tends to be good. See: Gone Girl, his five seconds in Star Trek, TMNT 2

I've always known him to be a good actor. Even in his self-directed stuff, it's painfully clear that he's a good actor in every roll where he's not portraying Medea. I was on these forums defending the man's acting for years prior to Gone Girl....

Lucini

Banned
So, old white folks showin they ass on Facebook about Ali. This one dude shared a pic talking about how Rocky Marciano was better than Ali. So I tagged a friend and we trolled the hell out of his comment section by going full Coming to America.

Y'all know what I mean

Me: "There we go! THERE WE GO!! Every time we talk about boxing, a white person always got to bring up Rocky Marciano. Rocky Mariano!!! Rocky Marciano!!! Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Lewis... ROCKY MARCIANO WONT SHIT!!!!

Him: He beat Joe Lewis ass.

Me: Joe Lewis was 75 years old when he fought Rocky Marciano!!!

Him: I don't know how old he was but he still got his ass whooped.

This guy has no idea what were talking about at this point. So we kept going, y'all know how the rest goes. So he notices we're trolling the fuck out of him by the time we start talking about Frank Sinatra so he deletes the post.

I'm still kinda contemplating a post on my FB about Ali. People are killing me with how all of a sudden he's seen as this hero and put on the pedestal, but when he was speaking the truth about Vietnam...he was just another one of those? I can't stand the revisionist history and bullshit around the man's death. I kept a poster of the Liston KO above my bed, next to a poster of the 1968 Olympics fist raising medal stand literally from age 10 to when I moved out. The views of Muhammad Ali were completely revolutionary for a black athlete to have said out loud.

The same people praising him now, would have been asking for his head back then. Some even have the nerve to have done both. Nah, I can't stand with that. If he were 25 now, with the same outspoken nature, same quotables...they'd be lining him up like Floyd Mayweather and calling him out on Fox News every day. Shit is annoying.

I don't know how you got this far into that diatribe, but man. Rockstar does one thing well, and that's iteration. It doesn't seem like there's any real waste going on there. They did lots of games that ended up with pieces used in GTA V. Look back at the original GTA and GTA 2, then see GTA 3. Huge iteration visually, gameplay very similar in structure. Midnight Club and Smuggler's Run...both ended up adding to the way vehicles were handled. The Table Tennis game and their subsequent iteration in visual fidelity helped GTA IV. The online in GTA IV proved that multiplayer GTA could be huge (who doesn't remember getting on with a group and whipping through fake New York?). Max Payne 3's 3rd person shooting ended up almost 1 for 1 in GTA V and that game was all the better for it.

Now if you're talking about the "satire" in the series...that has kind of run it's course. They have so much packed into every bit of GTA V that it becomes exhausting and kind of self-fellating.

Create the thread, I'm more than happy to talk about the series at length.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
decided to watch Justice League War for some reason

I don't know if I liked the way they did any of the characters in that movie

Johndoey

Banned
decided to watch Justice League War for some reason

I don't know if I liked the way they did any of the characters in that movie
Have you watched Justice League Doom? Thought that one was fairly decent.

I came across this cool video on my net travels. Hope you guys like it.

Kudhinda Fabrics - Screen Printing.
That was interesting, thank you.

I feel like my comment was specifically lauding the world design and nothing else. But other than that love it or hate it, saying it's "the exact same shit" is reductive in a really silly way. Good or bad the shifts are evident.
--
Eh Christ, haven't felt this bad in a time.
--
And apparently my siblings mother had a stroke, shit.

At work and going through some of Bobby Brown's hits. Why didn't he have staying power? I forgot how many bangers this dude had. Listening to Every Little Step and doing the running man.

andthebeatgoeson

Not muslim but about to cross 24 hours of fasting. Water only. Gonna hit 36

Props to my muslim brothers. I was up early, in prayer, thinking of y'all. Not sure how you do it but I'm doing it to find out. Break some bonds that are attached to my spirit. I've weirdly hit some stage where my body isn't constantly reminding me I'm hungry and it feels good. Feels good to not feel like a punk whenever I get hungry.

I get hangry from time to time and that's not a good look.

Either way, it's bullshit how muslims are treated. Ignored and relegated to slums just by being brown. Thrown off of flights for how they look. Got people assuming an italian professor was making masterplans. Can't even live if you don't look typical european.

I'm sorry. I can say sorry even if I didn't do it. It's called being a human being. I'm sorry that shit goes down. I support you in your life. I support you in your freedom that is granted by something greater than every human being.

And your ability to sacrifice compels me, encourages me in my life.

TLDR: If they can do it, why can't I?

At work and going through some of Bobby Brown's hits. Why didn't he have staying power? I forgot how many bangers this dude had. Listening to Every Little Step and doing the running man.

Cocaine is one hell of a drug. Trivia: Ralph Tresvant actually sung a good portion of Every Little Step. Bobby was too coked out of his mind to get to the studio so Ralph had to cover for him.

Damn shame, Bobby was literally on top of the world in 1988 but I honestly think it was because he took way too long between albums. After 'Don't Be Cruel', the New Jack Swing genre was in fever pitch but Bobby never capitalized on it. Even Bell Biv DeVoe eeked out a classic in that time frame. By the time he dropped his self titled album in 1992, the world pretty much moved passed him, doesn't help that that album wasn't that good anyway.... and that Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' album was still buzzing.

I just sounded old as hell.

*looks in mirror, sees reflection of mother doing the cabbage patch*

*screams*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom