• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

BF1 is looking sick. BUT, I wish that it didn't boil down to the usual MP modes once again. Seems like an opportunity lost to broaden it a little.

Why was Tyresse Gibson there?

CkyBiCEUkAEfLLS.jpg

Yup. Hammed it up tho

1-11

trash.png

Merc_

I still don't get why folks are so thirsty for a female Link. Do people really think that the game itself would change at all?

D i Z

I still don't get why folks are so thirsty for a female Link. Do people really think that the game itself would change at all?

Ironically, people want representation in their Japanese produced games. Just not for anyone with a shade darker than a paper bag.

Zekes!

I think it would be a welcome change, and lend more credence to the concept of Link representing the player. I would go even further and say it would be cool if there were skin tone options and shit too (I haven't seen much argue for that though).

I recognize the issue that Link has become his own established character over the last 30 years though. But Link is essentially a different character between each game so I don't see why they couldn't implement even light customization into a new Zelda.

It'd be a welcome story change. No one thinks the gameplay would be different, just that a wrench of some kind would be thrown into the formula

cdyhybrid

Link is just an avatar for the player (he doesn't talk or have any character other than looking surprised occasionally) so there's no reason not to have Link more closely reflect a potential player.

This is the series where the dark-skinned tribe of women are all portrayed as thieves and the race and family of the king of evil. Skin tone and gender options would be neat, and could change a LOT about Zelda, like creating more positive representation.

Aiustis

This is the series where the dark-skinned tribe of women are all portrayed as thieves and the race and family of the king of evil. Skin tone and gender options would be neat, and could change a LOT about Zelda, like creating more positive representation.

Yup yup. Certainly would get me playing another Zelda game. I haven't messed with it since Majora's Mask (original).

On another note...I started remember bits and pieces of my very high and inebriated Friday night; I definitely kissed my ex.

If there's a gender option in the next Zelda than that's neat I guess, but I can't see myself being upset if it doesn't happen. Seems like a bunch of people worked themselves into a shoot from that first teaser.

RedSwirl

It is literally impossible for Zelda to fulfill everyone's expectations on Tuesday. Ask anyone what they want from the game, and its all different.

Tears incoming.
Still hyped tho

I can't wait to watch people suddenly change their opinion's on Skyward Sword!

Exactly. It's like there's a law or something that says you can't like every Zelda game.

Link is just an avatar for the player (he doesn't talk or have any character other than looking surprised occasionally) so there's no reason not to have Link more closely reflect a potential player.

At what point do you just give people a character creator? Maybe even letting people pick Link's name was the beginning already. I've always found it kind of peculiar how Japanese adventure games and RPGs classically let people pick names like in CRPGs but otherwise had pre-written characters.

For fucks sake.

People are really talking about not being about to connect with Moana? Already?

Where?

Merc_

Fair enough. I'm just watching people going stir crazy over those Zelda lanyards that are very clearly of the same male Link. It's kinda crazy after we already did this back when the game was first revealed.

I've said this a thousand times, but fuck a female Link. Game named after the girl and after 30 years bitch still gotta play second fiddle to that tunic wearing motherfucker. It's time to give her her due. Mad disrepectful otherwise.

Crocodile

There is going to be blood in the streets come Tuesday

Male Link only = Blood in the streets
Female Option = Blood in the streets
Female Link only = Blood in the streets

BLOOD IN THE STREETS

Like I don't think anyone is ever going to convince people on "the other side" of this issue that they are right. The end goal is basically the same - a desire for better representation in video games, including one of the bigger IPs in the medium. The issue is the methodology. I'd prefer if Link was made less like an avatar (not more), I'm not convinced its good branding (this is a change you can never take back and I can't think of a single example where a decades old character, as opposed to a title, was permanently race/gender swapped) and I feel it comes off as a bit lazy - especially when there are already female characters that could/should be pushed further (hello Zelda). I don't think race/gender-swapping is terrible in all circumstances at all but I'm not a fan of the idea here. And no, I'm not interested in Black Link either for all the same reasons.

Thinking about it, this conversation kind of reminds me of the Democratic Primary. "Either you're progressive in the same way I am or fuck you!". This only applies to those with REALLY strong feelings on the subject though.

I've said this a thousand times, but fuck a female Link. Game named after the girl and after 30 years bitch still gotta play second fiddle to that tunic wearing motherfucker. It's time to give her her due. Mad disrepectful otherwise.

Not entirely sure if I'd use your language but I agree with your sentiment.

cdyhybrid

Exactly. It's like there's a law or something that says you can't like every Zelda game.

At what point do you just give people a character creator? Maybe even letting people pick Link's name was the beginning already. I've always found it kind of peculiar how Japanese adventure games and RPGs classically let people pick names like in CRPGs but otherwise had pre-written characters.

Where?
I don't feel super strongly about it either way, but if your character is just a stand in for the player, I don't see why you couldn't put in a character creator. Doesn't mean you need to put in 200,000 hair/face combos.

Shy

Ohh yeah, i forgot that i was a gerudo according to Zelda.
On another note...I started remember bits and pieces of my very high and inebriated Friday night; I definitely kissed my ex.
*Sam beckett's voice* Ohh boy.

Malyse

There is going to be blood in the streets come Tuesday

Male Link only = Blood in the streets
Female Option = Blood in the streets
Female Link only = Blood in the streets

BLOOD IN THE STREETS

Like I don't think anyone is ever going to convince people on "the other side" of this issue that they are right. The end goal is basically the same - a desire for better representation in video games, including one of the bigger IPs in the medium. The issue is the methodology. I'd prefer if Link was made less like an avatar (not more), I'm not convinced its good branding (this is a change you can never take back and I can't think of a single example where a decades old character, as opposed to a title, was permanently race/gender swapped) and I feel it comes off as a bit lazy - especially when there are already female characters that could/should be pushed further (hello Zelda). I don't think race/gender-swapping is terrible in all circumstances at all but I'm not a fan of the idea here. And no, I'm not interested in Black Link either for all the same reasons.

Thinking about it, this conversation kind of reminds me of the Democratic Primary. "Either you're progressive in the same way I am or fuck you!". This only applies to those with REALLY strong feelings on the subject though.

Not entirely sure if I'd use your language but I agree with your sentiment.

They can take it back though. Remember how Pokemon XY has custom characters and then they announced to ORAS remakes and took that right out?

Crocodile

It's kinda insane that some people are still into it to the point of looking down on the people who are pointing out what a fiasco the whole thing's been.

The game & its development/communication 100% has/had issues but I feel an non-insignificant number of people like to hate on it because it gives them hate boners. That or react in ways that are disproportionate to the slight actually being committed.

This comic <3

They can take it back though. Remember how Pokemon XY has custom characters and then they announced to ORAS remakes and took that right out?

I also remember, rightfully, how Nintendo go dragged across the internet for that. I wouldb't be surprised if that its the reason that feature is back in Sun/Moon.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

yep

making a female link makes no sense to me

just give Zelda the sword

yep

making a female link makes no sense to me

just give Zelda the sword

Yeah, I'm waiting for them to stop bullshittin' & give us a "Warrior Queen Zelda" game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom