• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I love my parents and hope they live forever, but I can't wait for their generation to finish dying off. KYHU, Neo.

Unfortunately the people talking is of our generation, but i know what you mean. The one guy who said he isnt sorry for people who died because they were gay pissed me off. the level headed guy in the place said it wasnt just gay people who died but also their straight friends and the asshole guy said, "oh well in a war there is collateral damage." its 2016 and shit like him still exist. Its shit like him that turn others into homicidal gun toting murder machines.

When it comes to barber shops I'm pretty loyal especially if its close by my place, now i dont even want to be in the middle of that type of place.

Slayven

Just saw black panther: civil war.

Boseman is black excellence personafied the moment he shows up on screen. This movie feels like set ups for his and spiders films more than anything.

Ignorant people spew ignorant shit neo. I would say dont let that shit get to you, but that would be hypocritical

I want the blu ray

neojubei

Missed the impressions in this thread, how do you guys feel about the amount of black portags this E3?

I liked how some people in our gaming community was trying to make the claim that a Black main character in watch dogs 2 would not make sense due to the Black people population in San Fran. The racism is so funny when they try to sound logical but coming off as ignorant as heck.

I want the blu ray

I want the Blu-ray and a Black Panther costume to wear on weekends.

akira28

Yeah I think our generation and maybe the slightly olders... but maybe not...they will be the first to totally just be like gay people whatever. There's a lot of ignorance, and fear, with all that goes with both of those unfortunately, within the black communities in reference to homosexuality. There are places where gay people have been pretty fairly accepted, but I think for the most part there's that public black male image of ideal masculinity, and homosexuality isn't a part of that. I would posit that part of it is left over from the 70s power-macho image of the black male, thanks to the emerging black athletic elite, and of course the black panther/black power iconography. At least I think this current culture of homophobia is due to modern forces and not true 'cultural' ones.

The racism is so funny when they try to sound logical but coming off as ignorant as heck.

a fool with an ounce of logic is like a fool with a stick of dynamite, and they'll use them both the same way.

Mizerman

I liked how some people in our gaming community was trying to make the claim that a Black main character in watch dogs 2 would not make sense due to the Black people population in San Fran. The racism is so funny when they try to sound logical but coming off as ignorant as heck.

The Can't Relate Crew returns in full force.

neojubei

Fuck those bigoted cunts. They don't deserve your business. Jubei.

I know but it will be tough to find another Black barber shop and whose to say it wont be brewing with homophobia or is that something i have to accept within the Black community. I dont know anymore.

Slayven

You are kidding right?

Crocodile

Don't worry, not even the folks clamoring for a female Link option seem to care about that.

Yeah, I always noticed that and it never made sense to me. I don't actually want a Black Link to be honest but if you're going to be stomping on the floor for women it seems weird not to just go full character creator with race options too.

#Linksoblack jokes are pretty funny though (even if some of them are messed up :p)

You're back in the States right? Either way, that place doesn't deserve you business. Fuck'em.

neojubei

You're back in the States right? Either way, that place doesn't deserve you business. Fuck'em.

Unfortunately i am back, but i am trying to apply to jobs in Japan. I'm going back sooner or later, definitely by next year if at all possible.

Missed the impressions in this thread, how do you guys feel about the amount of black portags this E3?

it was what... three? out of the hundreds of games at E3....

especially when he's from Oakland but just happens to be in SF.

Numb

Yeah, I always noticed that and it never made sense to me. I don't actually want a Black Link to be honest but if you're going to be stomping on the floor for women it seems weird not to just go full character creator with race options too.

#Linksoblack jokes are pretty funny though (even if some of them are messed up :p)

On the character creator wagon

Numb

wow.png

Trey

hey guys, I had such a bad time at my local barber shop today. Just need to get this off my shoulders. The barber shop i go to is the typical black barbershop that either there is an illegally rip movie from the theaters playing on the tv or everyone is talking about the latest news or women. Walking in everyone is talking about the kid in Florida who was taken by the gator and how the media looked at the kid's parents compared to how the media looked at the kid falling into the gorilla cage parents. Because they were talking about Orlando the whole 50 people being murdered in a gay club came up. One of the customers was saying how he isnt sorry that it was gay people who died. then the whole conversation devolved into whether gay men are men, even my barber who i go was saying how if he caught his son doing anything gay like the hand on the hip even by accident he would beat him. Only one guy in the place was talking sense and sticking up for gay people. I wanted to say something but i know how passionate i will get and i dont feel like one day having to defend myself if i find myself alone with one them. So i kept my mouth shut, paid and left. Even when i was leaving they were talking about nambla and how gay men snatch up little boys. WTF.

I swear being Black and gay I have to deal with racist crap in the gay community and homophobia in the Black community.

yep, sounds about right. although my barbershop is probably a bit more tolerant than what you described, it ain't by much.

hypermasculinity is still the default in many of these sort of male dominated spaces.

royalan

I haven't been by my barbershop since the Pulse shooting, but I imagine it would be the same thing there.

Although, things might be different with me as of a few weeks ago. I was getting my hair cut (with the barber commenting on HOW SILKY MY SHIT IS NIGGAS SO KEEP HATIN). All the dudes in the shop were talking about this one gay dude who's always there with the stylists (there's a salon for the ladies connected on the other side of the building). The talk went on for about a half hour before I felt compelled to say something:

"I swear barbers talk more about gay shit than anybody I know. Shit, I was suckin dick last night and we weren't talking this much about gay shit."

Surprisingly I got a laugh out of that. And I still go back there. lol

I haven't been by my barbershop since the Pulse shooting, but I imagine it would be the same thing there.

Although, things might be different with me as of a few weeks ago. I was getting my hair cut (with the barber commenting on HOW SILKY MY SHIT IS NIGGAS SO KEEP HATIN). All the dudes in the shop were talking about this one gay dude who's always there with the stylists (there's a salon for the ladies connected on the other side of the building). The talk went on for about a half hour before I felt compelled to say something:

"I swear barbers talk more about gay shit than anybody I know. Shit, I was suckin dick last night and we weren't talking this much about gay shit."

Surprisingly I got a laugh out of that. And I still go back there. lol

Nigga please. You went to the salad bar like usual

royalan

Nigga please. You went to the salad bar like usual
Uh huh.

Y'all stay hatin, meanwhile I STAY gettin beat up the street.

I'm tryin help my blackGAF brothas OUT. So y'all can have some females (or fellas) running their fingers through your scalps and thinking to themselves, "DAMN, if he keeps his waves this silky he MUST know how to throw some dick."

But alas...stay dry.

Shy

Uh huh.

I'm tryin help my blackGAF brothas OUT. So y'all can have some females (or fellas) running their fingers through your scalps and thinking to themselves, "DAMN, if he keeps his waves this silky he MUST know how to throw some dick."

But alas...stay dry.
I'm not hatin. 😦

Trey

Uh huh.

But alas...stay dry.

my waves spin fam. gotta keep em short though.

BigDes

Kimd of want to make a thread about how I kind of love the stories of Lovecraft but the sheer inherent racism of them puts me off and whether modern horror's wholesale lifting of lovecraftian themes of otherness being wrong coupd be seen as tacit condoning of this racism. But then I see how discussions like this on the forum go and I think eh.

And its not like only a few of his works were racist either, his entire body of work can pretty much be boiled down to

"Egads, black people and also some Arabs!"

I also worry a bit about what me liking his works, at least on the most superficial level, says about me as a person. Like, if I can give this a pass maybe I'm not as aware as I thought I was.

Uh, pardon the rambling.

Shy

Kimd of want to make a thread about how I kind of love the stories of Lovecraft but the sheer inherent racism of them puts me off and whether modern horror's wholesale lifting of lovecraftian themes of otherness being wrong coupd be seen as tacit condoning of this racism. But then I see how discussions like this on the forum go and I think eh.

And its not like only a few of his works were racist either, his entire body of work can pretty much be boiled down to

I also worry a bit about what me liking his works, at least on the most superficial level, says about me as a person. Like, if I can give this a pass maybe I'm not as aware as I thought I was.

Uh, pardon the rambling.
Don't be sorry, i agree a 100%

I'd love to, and be afraid (of because guaranteed fuckery) see a thread about it.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

Uh, pardon the rambling.

I have a friend that's been reading his work and having similar issues.
I really need to get around to reading H.P.'s stuff as well.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

Uh, pardon the rambling.

Like how racist are we talking here?

Is the dialogue set up like a lot of white folks talk behind closed doors? Or is it just lowbrow minority jokes ?

Uh huh.

But alas...stay dry.

I mean...if it works, it works

BigDes

Like how racist are we talking here?

Is the dialogue set up like a lot of white folks talk behind closed doors? Or is it just lowbrow minority jokes ?
One of the characters in one of the short stories has a cat called Nigger-man.

But its not just that un your face and blatant. Like the stories were all written n the twenties by a dude in New York and Boston who was witnessing a lot of immigration into the city and who was also literally afraid of his own shadow and this infuses his works. Also a lot of the racism has that bizarre logic only available to racists, like there was a secret and ancient ape tribe in Africa that built cities and worshipped terrible gods. Which is racist enough . But oh these apes were uh white apes because well they would have to be if the built things right.

Now, these stories were all written in the 1920s and the excuse I always use was that it was a different time. But as I get older and more educated on minority issues the more I think that excuse is starting to feel like flimsy cardboard bullshit.

Shy

Now, these stories were all written in the 1920s and the excuse I always use was that it was a different time. But as I get older and more educated on minority issues the more I think that excuse is starting to feel like flimsy cardboard bullshit.
Nah, it's got nothing to do with the times. Lovecraft was not just a frothing at the mouth racist xenophobe misogynist, if you weren't a very specific type of New England W.A.S.P. then in his mind to the bushes with you.

And i head this (and really need to find a source for it, so take this with a pinch of salt) but other writers at the time, wrote to Lovecraft and were asking him to tone that shit down.

Mizerman

Nah, it's got nothing to do with the times. Lovecraft was not just a frothing at the mouth racist xenophobe misogynist, if you weren't a very specific type of New England W.A.S.P. then in his mind to the bushes with you.

And i head this (and really to find a source for it, so take this with a pinch of salt) but other writers at the time, wrote to Lovecraft and were asking him to tone that shit down.

Yeah, Lovecraft was very racist even by the standards of the time period. And that was saying something.

Village

I never heard about other folks trying to get love craft to calm down, I would like to read more into that.

That's some 4chan, 8chan shit.

Have any of you all ever heard a track and have been like " the artist made a grave mistake, they accidentally didn't make this awesome part of the song most of the song, or loop this, or pitch this up, i need to fix this" and spent a bunch of time in audacity and some other stuff trying to mess with said song.

That was my middle of the night

Lucini

Banned
RE: Lovecraft

I haven't been able to even get started with his work because of the racism. I can't even give that stuff space in my brain. I probably should read it, given the influence on others, but it's like reading someone's unfiltered hatred for you, filtered through allegory with the occasional "Fuck you especially"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom