• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDes

I think where I am coming from is less oh Lovecraft was a giant racist. I already knew that.

I think its kind of a moment of why in the hell did I ever think this was ok?

Shy

I think its kind of a moment of why in the hell did I ever think this was ok?
I know this is going to sound trite, i think some has to do with childhood and growing up.

There are a few really good documentaries (which i can't remember the name of. Sorry) about him that you should check out.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I haven't been by my barbershop since the Pulse shooting, but I imagine it would be the same thing there.

Although, things might be different with me as of a few weeks ago. I was getting my hair cut (with the barber commenting on HOW SILKY MY SHIT IS NIGGAS SO KEEP HATIN). All the dudes in the shop were talking about this one gay dude who's always there with the stylists (there's a salon for the ladies connected on the other side of the building). The talk went on for about a half hour before I felt compelled to say something:

"I swear barbers talk more about gay shit than anybody I know. Shit, I was suckin dick last night and we weren't talking this much about gay shit."

Surprisingly I got a laugh out of that. And I still go back there. lol

I doubt I would ever have the bravado to say that in the barbershop or in any straight male environment. I applaud you for that.

It's late, I'm watching TV and I think... whatever happen to old dude who use to be on TV a lot...you know Bernie Sanders? Is he like doing a BET movie or something now with his career for food?

Johndoey

Banned
I think abandoning some of the really brilliant concepts and figures of his work or at least chastising creators for drawing from them because of the racism is pointless.

At a point his works have shaped basically all media going forward to some extent, so getting into if that is condoning racism becomes this unwieldy concept.

And at some point you have to just accept older works as they are or you have to throw out almost everything. Or you pick and choose what you want to take out of larger works and move on.

Kreed

hey guys, I had such a bad time at my local barber shop today. Just need to get this off my shoulders. The barber shop i go to is the typical black barbershop that either there is an illegally rip movie from the theaters playing on the tv or everyone is talking about the latest news or women. Walking in everyone is talking about the kid in Florida who was taken by the gator and how the media looked at the kid's parents compared to how the media looked at the kid falling into the gorilla cage parents. Because they were talking about Orlando the whole 50 people being murdered in a gay club came up. One of the customers was saying how he isnt sorry that it was gay people who died. then the whole conversation devolved into whether gay men are men, even my barber who i go was saying how if he caught his son doing anything gay like the hand on the hip even by accident he would beat him. Only one guy in the place was talking sense and sticking up for gay people. I wanted to say something but i know how passionate i will get and i dont feel like one day having to defend myself if i find myself alone with one them. So i kept my mouth shut, paid and left. Even when i was leaving they were talking about nambla and how gay men snatch up little boys. WTF.

I swear being Black and gay I have to deal with racist crap in the gay community and homophobia in the Black community.

I don't understand why pedophilia = gay is a thing with anti gay people. Example, I was just hearing about this crazy pastor in Sacramento saying he was happy about the Orlando shootings because they killed pedophiles. Where did this connection even come from? I know it's stupid people being stupid but is there a source for it?

Nigga please. You went to the salad bar like usual

LOL

Litan

Kimd of want to make a thread about how I kind of love the stories of Lovecraft but the sheer inherent racism of them puts me off and whether modern horror's wholesale lifting of lovecraftian themes of otherness being wrong coupd be seen as tacit condoning of this racism. But then I see how discussions like this on the forum go and I think eh.

And its not like only a few of his works were racist either, his entire body of work can pretty much be boiled down to

"Egads, black people and also some Arabs!"

I also worry a bit about what me liking his works, at least on the most superficial level, says about me as a person. Like, if I can give this a pass maybe I'm not as aware as I thought I was.

Uh, pardon the rambling.
Still can't bring myself to try this guy's books, no matter how many times I see him recommended when I'm looking for some horror to read.

shingi70

Banned
Really want to make a thread asking where are the complaints about that Detroit game being so white for lack of a better term, and looking at the city only Detroit in name. (Native here). I just don't feel like wadding through all the bullshit that I know would come.

andthebeatgoeson

hey guys, I had such a bad time at my local barber shop today. Just need to get this off my shoulders. The barber shop i go to is the typical black barbershop that either there is an illegally rip movie from the theaters playing on the tv or everyone is talking about the latest news or women. Walking in everyone is talking about the kid in Florida who was taken by the gator and how the media looked at the kid's parents compared to how the media looked at the kid falling into the gorilla cage parents. Because they were talking about Orlando the whole 50 people being murdered in a gay club came up. One of the customers was saying how he isnt sorry that it was gay people who died. then the whole conversation devolved into whether gay men are men, even my barber who i go was saying how if he caught his son doing anything gay like the hand on the hip even by accident he would beat him. Only one guy in the place was talking sense and sticking up for gay people. I wanted to say something but i know how passionate i will get and i dont feel like one day having to defend myself if i find myself alone with one them. So i kept my mouth shut, paid and left. Even when i was leaving they were talking about nambla and how gay men snatch up little boys. WTF.

I swear being Black and gay I have to deal with racist crap in the gay community and homophobia in the Black community.
Sorry to hear. A lot of people in our community haven't had to face it. They ignore what's in front of them. Classic bubble; I don't see it, so it must not exist.

I'm just saying this cuz in angry for you and not too say what you should do: you should have taken your money and rolled.

Are you back home? Any other options? Some people too dumb, they only hear money.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why pedophilia = gay is a thing with anti gay people. Example, I was just hearing about this crazy pastor in Sacramento saying he was happy about the Orlando shootings because they killed pedophiles. Where did this connection even come from? I know it's stupid people being stupid but is there a source for it?

It's an easy way for people to hate without their conscience getting in the way. Terrible shit.

jmood88

Katsuhiro Harada said:
He continued, “Also when you think about the current game situation and the climate in different countries where you have to have characters from every different race or nationality, someone else would say ‘mine is not included,’ which is the climate we currently see with games. Since there are people who can’t set aside the game and the actual problems in society, I don’t want open that can of worms.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/1...psvr-title-outside-japan/#im0yUvoVAsLE7FVe.99

Crocodile

It's something people say about transsexuals too (see the whole bathroom "debate"). When some people don't understand or can't figure out a sexual orientation or identity, their brain for some reason defaults to "oh they must be into kids!" or some shit. I legit don't understand the mental gymnastics that lead people to that conclusion but lots of people keep doing it :(

He's not wrong in that a non-zero number of people would say that but he's wrong in thinking enough people with enough vigor would say it to start a firestorm, fails to understand that people could say that and still be interested in buying that game and I'm not sure he understands why people say that at all. It feels, since he can't speak English and has to learn about what goes on our forums vicariously, he heard about a bad story or too and formed an impression that way. This is another example of where if a Japanese developer had known when to stop running their mouth, the VAST majority of people wouldn't have given them any grief regardless of how strongly they felt about representation.

Kreed

It's something people say about transsexuals too (see the whole bathroom "debate"). When some people don't understand or can't figure out a sexual orientation or identity, their brain for some reason defaults to "oh they must be into kids!" or some shit. I legit don't understand the mental gymnastics that lead people to that conclusion but lots of people keep doing it :(

Combining this with what Vince said helped me connect the "stupid dots" (I remember similar "debates" about gay men in locker rooms for example).

I wish I hadn't read some of that bullshit. Reminds me I found this PPG cosplay the other day.

aiovE1R.jpg

ApharmdX

Banned
Kimd of want to make a thread about how I kind of love the stories of Lovecraft but the sheer inherent racism of them puts me off and whether modern horror's wholesale lifting of lovecraftian themes of otherness being wrong coupd be seen as tacit condoning of this racism. But then I see how discussions like this on the forum go and I think eh.

And its not like only a few of his works were racist either, his entire body of work can pretty much be boiled down to

"Egads, black people and also some Arabs!"

I also worry a bit about what me liking his works, at least on the most superficial level, says about me as a person. Like, if I can give this a pass maybe I'm not as aware as I thought I was.

Uh, pardon the rambling.

You're right about Lovecraft's racism, though he wrote some stories that weren't, but many of his best stories were wildly racist- The Shadow over Innsmouth for instance. I gave my oldest son, a huge Bloodborne fan, a hardbound volume of all of Lovecraft's stories for Christmas, with the disclaimer that the man was an unrepentant racist. For me, I kind of compartmentalize Lovecraft. Hard to deny the quality of his work or the impact that it's had. It feels a little dirty but I am still able to enjoy the man's writing.

Zaverious

Man Bleach.....this dude really turn this in and got a check for it

Did this dude really just copy and paste two pages in the same chapter? Did Ichigo really think just getting stronger will stop a guy that can change the future?

Edit: Sorry I mean change the past, present, and future at the same time? Bleach powers are something else.

This nigga really said that not buying a game because the lack of black people is reverse racism.

Wrote a dang essay just to say some dumb stuff.

shingi70

Banned
It's funny how the argument changed from being it's a fictional future so it's okay there little to no black people, to well stastics are saying there won't be black people so your screwed either way.

LionPride

Banned
It's funny how the argument changed from being it's a fictional future so it's okay there little to no black people, to well stastics are saying there won't be black people so your screwed either way.
Niggas will do so fucking much to explain why we ain't around, now I want a game set in Nebraska or North Dakota with just black people and see the reaction

jmood88

"I don't know why the race of characters matters to people"

*goes on to write a novella about how keeping things white clearly matters to him*

I could never be a Mod here. When the Anti Diversity Squad shows up I'd be handing out bans like Hollywood hands roles to Jennifer Lawrence.

That game looks like shit TBH but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing my ass off when they showed the different choices and the kidnapper shot ol' boy in the head

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Man Bleach.....this dude really turn this in and got a check for it
Nah man that was pretty cool the way he did that. Basically
caught that nigga transforming with his pants down.
Wish more anime did this tbh.

I know
Ichigo
gonna plot armor ass pull though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I honestly don't know what to say to other minorities when they complain about blacks being the alternative to whites just to combat diversity. I can see where they're coming from but given the nature of most industries any media that has a non-white protag is a win for all minorities. It's a step in the right direction. I feel like to other minorities we're the "white guy", and at times I even feel they'd rather have a white protag than a black one if it isn't their race. Idk, I will never understand the defensiveness that other minorities have against black people.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I honestly don't know what to say to other minorities when they complain about blacks being the alternative to whites just to combat diversity. I can see where they're coming from but given the nature of most industries any media that has a non-white protag is a win for all minorities. It's a step in the right direction. I feel like to other minorities we're the "white guy", and at times I even feel they'd rather have a white protag than a black one if it isn't their race. Idk, I will never understand the defensiveness that other minorities have against black people.
To piggyback off my initial quote, ishi knows what up

I don't know if it's much consolidation, but that we've made it to this point, that means there's nothing holding devs back from using other races. This is why diversity is so important in gaming -- it opens the door for more than just black people. If a black lead can finally have their chance, so can an Asian in a non-fighting game, a Native American, an Indian and a Latino. Keep your head up and stay vocal about your need for representation. That's what makes these things happen.

Johndoey

Banned
Yes the Overwatch and Detroit threads are predictable.

-
I want Shuma to show up in Spider-Man and wreck NY, it's what I've always wanted.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Yeah...

Tough to talk about.

It's worth mentioning that I feel our rallying alongside the demand for female leads and alliance* with feminism has rewarded us. Other minorities have my full support if they want to use the promising but small influx of more Black leads as a way to be heard and assert their own need for representation.

* I say alliance because Feminism was the other movement that focused on minority representation -- the need for more positive representation of female characters. And while we are both making progress, we're still suffering in representation.

It's fucked up but it's easier to digest when you understand that just because they happen to be a "person of color" doesn't mean they're on your side.

"We all we got" isn't just a phrase that sounds cool.

Johndoey

Banned
Fuck McCain, so should we've just left troops in that region indefinitely? Should we just stay static and push ineffective military action? What the fuck

We tried to position ourselves as the world's police force and it blew up in our faces, we can't sustain the perpetual wartime bullshit.

-
On a separate note do kids still tuck their jeans in their shoes?

cdyhybrid

I think I might have to stay out of OT for a while.

Every thread is either awful tragedy, GOP bullshit, or devolves into pointless shouting matches.

Litan

Fuck McCain, so should we've just left troops in that region indefinitely? Should we just stay static and push ineffective military action? What the fuck

We tried to position ourselves as the world's police force and it blew up in our faces, we can't sustain the perpetual wartime bullshit.
The guy's a warmonger, so it's no surprise he thinks shit like that.
Just be glad he never made it into the White House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom