• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

deli2000

Whoa the Zoe Quinn thread didn't even last an hour.

Poor thing, she's been thru hell so I know why she's on guard a lot. However I really don't think that Five Fun Guys thing was about her. It definitely gave me Watergate vibes. But given her situation, I understand why she felt otherwise.

That's the thing. Half the thread was people pointing out the Watergate reference. The other half was people taking smug potshots and insults at somebody who has been getting internet abuse for over 2 years. Typical GAF. 'Most progressive gaming forum' my ass.

Kreed

Poor thing, she's been thru hell so I know why she's on guard a lot. However I really don't think that Five Fun Guys thing was about her. It definitely gave me Watergate vibes. But given her situation, I understand why she felt otherwise.

That thread moved FAST. I quoted someone and a minute later I make the post and a whole page got added. I agree that the joke wasn't about her IMO, it's just that the Gamergate/FiveGuys thing was a reference to Watergate originally.

Not sure why, i mean:
GAF is better at empathy than 99% of other forums.

In honor of the departed!
LRz2r.gif

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
My exact thoughts. Some dudes in that thread didn't even hesitate to take advantage of the opportunity to paint her as an outraged narcissist though. Pretty sad.

That's the thing. Half the thread was people pointing out the Watergate reference. The other half was people taking smug potshots and insults at somebody who has been getting internet abuse for over 2 years. Typical GAF. 'Most progressive gaming forum' my ass.

That hurt tbh. GAF knows damn well what that girl has been thru so seeing the thinly veiled and the obvious disrespect aimed at her was depressing. I hate seeing that side of GAF. We can be much better than that.

That thread moved FAST. I quoted someone and a minute later I make the post and a whole page got added. I agree that the joke wasn't about her IMO, it's just that the Gamergate/FiveGuys thing was a reference to Watergate originally.

It really did. I answered someone and then fell behind like 3 pgs lol

Fucked up situation all around. I do think Nintendo thought their joke was on point and if GG never existed it likely would have but damn... I feel bad for Zoe.

Slayven

Unless you are a 2d Waifu, you not going to get respect and empathy from gaming side.

Sad thing is gaming side IS Better than the majority of the internet

Gattsu25

Banned
That hurt tbh. GAF knows damn well what that girl has been thru so seeing the thinly veiled and the obvious disrespect aimed at her was depressing. I hate seeing that side of GAF. We can be much better than that.
Yeah, it's a reminder at how many people here are really just outraged and angry and are looking for safe spaces for them to drop their bullshit veneer and show their true asses.

Fucking Houston you aren't supposed to be weird Austin is. Exiting the toll road and turning down a street and see this white girl who the best way to describe it as she was cosplaying Halle Berry in B.A.P.S.

Malyse

Outrage culture includes complaining about outrage culture.

----

Found more alcohol. One day, I'm going to store liquor around my house the way republicans store guns. Some by the bed, one in the closet, two in the cabinet, and one holstered to my side in case of emergency.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

----

Found more alcohol. One day, I'm going to store liquor around my house the way republicans store guns. Some by the bed, one in the closet, two in the cabinet, and one holstered to my side in case of emergency.
No lies detected

------

D i Z

----

I've done that. It didn't turn out well, so I would advise against that kind of thinking.

Columbia vs Chile just kicked off for anyone interested.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I have no idea how the hell that Paper Mario joke can be interpreted as being about Zoe Quinn and Gamergate. Especially when you look at the scene in context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh16YgtySJI&feature=youtu.be&t=21m10s

People talking about 5 guys arrested at Watergate and some Five Guys thing with Gamergate when it's probably not even that deep. The media just uses -gate for any scandal.

It was obviously just an unfortunate coincidence. I can see why her mind went there, though. Mine would have gone there too if that shit had fucked up my life.

It was obviously just an unfortunate coincidence. I can see why her mind went there, though. Mine would have gone there too if that shit had fucked up my life.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Also, just because you intended one thing doesn't mean you can't be held responsible when it can easily be looked at in another way, especially when that thing isn't some backdoor underground-level meme but rather a life-shattering epidemic that spread across the industry you take part in.

Yeah that thread went shitty from both directions. In the end it was just an echo chamber of a few different sides trying to prove the other ones wrong. No one wins a damn thing in this case. I really do empathize with her. I can opt out from reading anything gamergate related for the rest of my life. She likely has to deal with a level of harassment daily that I will never have to experience.

BlackJace

I've come to learn that Gamergate is a topic that we cannot discuss reasonably.
Like, as much as we delve into stupidity revolving around console wars and such, something about GG brings out absolute insanity.

Wow. I never in a million years expected a dude to come into a local bar in the middle of my shithole nowhere town to watch Copa America Centenario. My mind was blown today.

That's the thing. I can understand her train of thought, and I can empathize with it, but the number of people who just jumped on the bandwagon is ridiculous. People who clearly didn't care about finding out the context, just, in typical fashion, trying to rub in everyone's faces how morally superior they were. "Just look how hard I can empathize!" It had me rolling my eyes. I didn't even bother posting in that thread

D i Z

Gremlins is a strange ass movie. As in, Gizmo was troubled looking creature. And it might just be me, but this film was on the tip of that popular brush that presented American's as utterly incompetent and easy marks during the 80's.

Slayven

Gremlins is a strange ass movie. As in, Gizmo was troubled looking creature. And it might just be me, but this film was on the tip of that popular brush that presented American's as utterly incompetent and easy marks during the 80's.

It was a Christmas kids movies, kinda of fucked up when you think about it. The dad in the chimney thing was so messed up

LionPride

Banned
That dirt bike scene was hype as fuck.

Y5Mpe6F.gif

So corny. So good.

Oh, Central Intelligence is funny btw. The Rock is essentially a laid back ass bro who loves unicorns and is goofy. Hart wasn't bad, also you know who the villain is because of an appearance in the beginningish of the movie, they telegraph the hell outta that

Derrick Rose got traded to the Knicks for a pack of Cheetos and orange Shasta.

Chicago brehs are you okay?

I hope he serves his purpose and helps attract some FA before getting injured again.
I'm not mad at the trade but I don't think the Knicks are all of a sudden contenders.

Not sure what Chicago was thinking though..

Dai101

Banned

It was a Christmas kids movies, kinda of fucked up when you think about it. The dad in the chimney thing was so messed up

And i love it because of that. Also love Gramlins 2 for completely different reasons and because is so fucking meta.

Oh, Central Intelligence is funny btw. The Rock is essentially a laid back ass bro who loves unicorns and is goofy. Hart wasn't bad, also you know who the villain is because of an appearance in the beginningish of the movie, they telegraph the hell outta that

Is it still funny if you're an old fogey like me?

D i Z

And i love it because of that. Also love Gramlins 2 for completely different reasons and because is so fucking meta.

This one is always going to have that "never gonna see something like this again" spot. Loved 2 more, It's nuts looking back and remembering Critters and how they represented idealistic American life and dreamscapes of adventure before the shift towards urban storytelling. Well, Suburban storytelling. I think the first popular urban films that I remember were "popcorn flicks" like Batteries not Included and Ghostbusters.
Growing up in England at the time, we didn't have anything like this for kids. After school specials were loaded with run aways that die alone in the fields and secrets in the bomb shelter basements.

Dai101

Banned
This one is always going to have that "never gonna see something like this again" spot.

And that's exactly what happened:

“When I was asked to do the sequel, which I originally turned down because it was so hard to make the first one… The only reason I decided to make the sequel was because years later they had tried to make a sequel and couldn’t figure out how to do it, and they really wanted another one. So they said to me, “If you give us a couple of cans of film with gremlins in them next summer, you can do whatever you want.” And they gave me three times the money we had to make the first one.

So I made ‘Gremlins 2,’ which was essentially about how there didn’t need to be a sequel to ‘Gremlins.’ [Laughs]”

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3347681/joe-dante-says-gremlins-2-anti-sequel/

Kreed

That's the thing. I can understand her train of thought, and I can empathize with it, but the number of people who just jumped on the bandwagon is ridiculous. People who clearly didn't care about finding out the context, just, in typical fashion, trying to rub in everyone's faces how morally superior they were. "Just look how hard I can empathize!" It had me rolling my eyes. I didn't even bother posting in that thread

I wouldn't call it "bandwagon" jumping vs just lack of knowledge of Watergate. For example, the first couple of posts/pages were people questioning Nintendo's "Five Guys" joke and thinking this connected it to Gamergate, not realizing that this also was a Watergate reference and that both Nintendo and Gamergate were making multiple references to Watergate. Which is understandable since, as Mr. Patch said, most references to Watergate in pop culture these days ends with the "gate" part and maybe a Nixon quote if they really want to go extra.

Zaverious

I hope he gets the help needs, but the dude that posted that Tyler the creator cyber bullying tweet really thought he wasn't about to get bopped.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I wouldn't call it "bandwagon" jumping vs just lack of knowledge of Watergate. For example, the first couple of posts/pages were people questioning Nintendo's "Five Guys" joke and thinking this connected it to Gamergate, not realizing that this also was a Watergate reference and that both Nintendo and Gamergate were making multiple references to Watergate. Which is understandable since, as Mr. Patch said, most references to Watergate in pop culture these days ends with the "gate" part and maybe a Nixon quote if they really want to go extra.

That's what sold me on it being a Watergate reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom