• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeySeuss

I'm hella interested

Also @ the bolded, why is this so similar to how the church treated priests accused of molestation. Shit's bad

No disagreement here. Doctors avoid medical malpractice issues the same way.

This will be a long post but I'll give you a brief setup before I give an outline of the lesson plan because I think it's important to know why I start it the way I do. Basically, police officers are ego driven type a personalities. We typically lean way right, so we very much dislike anyone telling or even hinting at the possibility we might be doing something wrong. Or even if we could simply do something better than how things currently are. Especially when talking about bias training, most officers typically tune it out and shut down. We don't want to hear that bias (never mind racism) exists and like even less the idea that we could have certain prejudices that may effect our job duties. Pretty much the tired argument that getting called a racist is worse than actually being one. So here goes... Please forgive me if this seems choppy I'm on my phone and I'm writing this from memory.

I. Introduction and overview of the training with the objectives. This training is a giant PowerPoint with pics and videos and all.

II. Start off by talking about common stereotypes that people have of police. Out of shape, bullies with a badge, unintelligent, blue wall of silence, etc

A. Talk about where these stereotypes come from. Experience, media, TV shows, word of mouth, etc.

B. Go in to how it makes us feel. How it makes us cynical, angry, indifference, etc. I start with this so I can get some sort of emotional buy-in so that they don't check out right away.

C. In policing we have a phrase called "Totality of circumstances". This is a standard we use when trying to investigate any crime or report. It basically boils down to looking at the whole picture in order to understand the problem at hand. Rather than just individual pieces of the puzzle.

III. Types of bias: inherent and explicit, defining both.

A. Explain how everyone has biases, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Preferring fords to Chevy's is a bias, one sports team to another, etc.

B. Talk about where biases come from and how they are formed over the various stages of life.

1. Starts forming with your family, where you learn your core values.
2. Continues during school with your friends as you experience different opinions which start tweaking your biases more.
3. Continues into adulthood with coworkers and such.
4. Finally media influencing our biases by news, TV shows, movies, etc.
5. How we naturally seek out opinions that are in line with our own thinking and explain confirmation bias.

IV. How the brain forms associations for memories and how the things we see everyday influence our belief system. These associations are formed at nearly a subconscious level which eliminates thought almost entirely. This gives us the ability to make snap decisions based on previous experience, and understanding the importance of recognizing our biases by how they can effect our decision making.

A. Show a picture of Trayvon Martin. Then show the fake picture on Facebook that was shared by thousands of people to show that he was just a punk kid who wasn't an angel. Too bad the pic was of a different Trayvon.

B. Michael Brown. Same situation. Actual picture then the picture that a st Lois police officer posted that everyone believed was Michael and wasn't him at all.

C. Dylann Roof. The burger King story.

V. "Accidental Racism" this also flows into more obvious and blatant racist shit

A. Show multiple pictures of everyday items and advertisements that by themselves could be innocent or just an oversight by someone not thinking when they approved the final product or ad.

1. Examples such as dipping dots candy, the white princess is vanilla flavor, the black princess is watermelon flavor rather than chocolate.

2. Power wheels display where a black kid is driving a sports car, and the police car is 2 white kids. When properly displayed, it appears that the police car is chasing the black kid in the sports car, as a (not so) subliminal message of a police pursuit.

3. Baby sling where the white couple with their baby on one package and a single black mom on another package.

4. Cleveland Indians mascot chief wahoo (I need to be inclusive of other biases against other minorities as well). Washington redskins as well.

5. A baby book where the baby takes a bath. The first page says the baby is dirty and is a picture of a black baby. The end of the book the baby is clean and is white.

6. Nevida ad saying "look like you give a damn" dude chucking his former afro head and "upgrading" himself as a clean cut businesses casual person.

7. Many more examples of this (probably 20 in all)

8. Go into the confederate flag and how it was taken down off the flagpole at the statehouse in SC

9. How Mississippi ratified the 13th amendment as the final state to do so.in 2013. Kentucky was only recently as well.

10. How in may of this year schools in a Mississippi was ordered to be segregated as there were 2 schools for a 15,000 population town where one was essentially black and the other white.

VI. How word of mouth is spread and how difficult it is to overcome.

A. Example of going to a restaurant and if you have a bad experience, you tell X people as opposed to a good experience is only y people. (Much less)

B. How word of mouth is a much more influential medium than any other source

C. How hard it is to overcome a bad experience as it takes 12 positive experiences to offset a negative one. Tie this in to law enforcement contacts with people as most people only interact with police a handful of times in their life.

D. Black Lives Matter

1. How it started from the Trayvon case and not furgeson as many people seem to think. (BLM built on a lie, hands up don't shoot, etc)

2. What their goal is as awareness of oppression and marginalization.

3. How it means Black Lives Matter TOO

4. How All Lives Matter is offensive as only used as a response to BLM. Another example of marginalization which is the whole point.

5. How there have been thousands of protests and only a handful have been violent. How not everyone that is in the protests are representing BLM

6. Cultural issues. How feelings are passed down from generations to be fearful of the police. This fear creates behavioral changes when black men come in contact with law enforcement. Behavioral changes that we may view as suspicious, but may not be criminal at all, but as a fear response.

VII. History of policing.

A. How if we don't learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it.

1. How policing started in the north. Night watches, usually done by people made to do community service for crimes. They were largely ineffective because they would be drunk or sleep during their shifts because it was a punishment to be put on the night watch.

2. How policing started in the south. Slave patrols, what their objectives were. To instill fear, track down runaways, and set an example for others by beating them into submission.

3. Picture of a slave patrol badge in comparison to a sheriff badge (they are very similar)

4. How modern policing is largely based on how slave patrols operated.

5. Freedom Riders. How in 1961 anniston Alabama police gave the mobs a 15 minute head start before they intervened to stop the violence. Video about the incident.

6. KKK in police. Anniston Alabama officer speaking at a hate group meeting and explaining to the group how his chief said "we all pretty much think like you do" (as in the KKK beliefs).

More examples of officers fired for KKK ties

7. Social media issues, officers posting racist things and getting fired.

8. Videos of officer involved shootings and excessive force uses that are well known. South Carolina officer, Cincinnati University officer, Tamir Rice, the high school girl that got thrown across the classroom, and the BART subway shooting.

9. Callback to the totality of circumstances and explain how all of these things and more effect how we are percieved by the public. How when we shoot someone, we compound the problem by not starting cpr to preserve life after the situation is safe.

VIII. How to fix the damage.

A. Community policing. Getting out into the community and talking to the people we serve. The serve part of serve and protect seems to have been forgotten over the last few years.

B. Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should. Even if a shooting is justified, doesn't mean we have to shoot them.

C. Smile. We dont have to be impersonal all the time. We are allowed to be nice to people.

D. Show various good deeds that went viral

F. Basketball cop (the one that got Shaq to play basketball with the kids in Florida)

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I apologize for any spelling errors since I types this on my phone and it took me 45 minutes lol.

I have some more things I want to add and I need to transition some things better. Let me know what you guys think and I also want to know if I as a white dude can deliver this effectively. I don't want my fellow black officers to think I'm speaking for them, and I don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks for helping me out it together.

Edit: I also have a piece on prison population demographics and NYPD stop and frisk stats, and likelihood of arrest by demographics as well. Not sure how I left that out

Crocodile

I'm not too big into Halloween but I hope those who went out there or went to Halloween parties had fun :) Fun/wacky/sexy costumes for all :p

Giant Beastcast has a pretty in depth discussion about the Beshesda middle finger to gaming press and consumers. Do yourselves a favor and quit pre-ordering games. If you can't do that, quit pre-ordering games from publishers that won't allow day one reviews from outlets, but give copies of games to youtubers months in advance.

I haven't pre-ordered a game in years and honestly there is no reason to do so unless the game in question is some limited print run or something.

Zekes!

I'mma be honest ya'll

if I never heard Journey's Don't Stop Believing again for the rest of my life I would be good

PixelatedBookake

I have some more things I want to add and I need to transition some things better. Let me know what you guys think and I also want to know if I as a white dude can deliver this effectively. I don't want my fellow black officers to think I'm speaking for them, and I don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks for helping me out it together.

Not all heroes wear capes.
Making the world a better place for minorities, keep up the good work man.

LionPride

Banned
This will be a long post but I'll give you a brief setup before I give an outline of the lesson plan because I think it's important to know why I start it the way I do. Basically, police officers are ego driven type a personalities. We typically lean way right, so we very much dislike anyone telling or even hinting at the possibility we might be doing something wrong. Or even if we could simply do something better than how things currently are. Especially when talking about bias training, most officers typically tune it out and shut down. We don't want to hear that bias (never mind racism) exists and like even less the idea that we could have certain prejudices that may effect our job duties. Pretty much the tired argument that getting called a racist is worse than actually being one. So here goes... Please forgive me if this seems choppy I'm on my phone and I'm writing this from memory.

Fantastic write up

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

This is great! Don't doubt yourself here, you are good to deliver this.

Much like with sexism, most guys won't listen to women talk about it. But they will listen to another men. The same effect is at play here too.

You're doing a great thing you know. Much respect.

Where's ishibear with a toss gif

tumblr_liumt9P5cw1qgd4dio1_400.gif

?

Kreed

Hey guys. About a year ago I posted in this thread that I'm a cop and I'm putting together some bias training for officers that would hopefully give some perspective and understanding to the current issues that police have with the black community. I asked you guys what I should include and general advice for how I should go about it.

Oh yeah! And then I made a joke about our local BCT moderators being police and you were sending mods PMs by mistake...good times. Anyway the write up looks good. With Section VI > D > Number 6, I'd throw in one of those studies/fact sheets about black men being seen as scary/"magical"/powerful which results in "fearful reactions" from people that may not be used to interacting with black people regularly.

Shy

We all do.

Instead I'm out here listening to my girl tell me I don't value her opinion 'cause I won't cut my hair short like she thinks I should
Ahhh. LOL.

I don't have a girl. so even that would be a step up for me. 😞

HeySeuss

This is great! Don't doubt yourself here, you are good to deliver this.

Much like with sexism, most guys won't listen to women talk about it. But they will listen to another men. The same effect is at play here too.

You're doing a great thing you know. Much respect.

Thanks! That's kinda what i thought as well, I just don't want to come across like I speak for anyone or even begin to understand what minorities deal with daily.

Oh yeah! And then I made a joke about our local BCT moderators being police and you were sending mods PMs by mistake...good times. Anyway the write up looks good. With Section VI > D > Number 6, I'd throw in one of those studies/fact sheets about black men being seen as scary/"magical"/powerful which results in "fearful reactions" from people that may not be used to interacting with black people regularly.

Shit I forgot about that! Lol yeah that was me. Thanks for the link that's an angle I hadn't thought of and I'll try to add that in. I also watched 13th the other day on Netflix and there are a few more things I want to pull from that as well.

Another question. I have a black officer that when I told him about this training I'm working on, has some life experience growing up in a bad neighborhood, how he had to live his life to survive. He wants to join me in doing at least a portion of the training so that people can see another angle.

I think it's a great idea but I'm a little hesitant and here's why. He's a fairly new officer only having a year on my department and a little experience before getting hired here. I know with doing this I may very likely lose friends and I'm not sure I want him to stick his neck out like that so early in his career. Thoughts?

Sch1sm

V. "Accidental Racism" this also flows into more obvious and blatant racist shit

4. Cleveland Indians mascot chief wahoo (I need to be inclusive of other biases against other minorities as well). Washington redskins as well.

Can't help to add to much of this, but if you're looking for more teams: Chicago Blackhawks (NHL), Kansas City Chiefs (NFL), Atlanta Braves (MLB), Indianapolis Indians (AAA, Pittsburgh Pirates feeder), Edmonton Eskimos (CFL), and then there's Amherst College's (recently former) unofficial mascot, San Diego States' Aztec Warrior mascot.

I absolutely love this, and I have to second ishi's sentiment. Good that you're doing this, in a position where you'll be more likely to be listened to. Good way to create an active change.

So BCT, whats your take on this Danney Williams cat claiming to be Bill Clinton's son?

I think he's full of it, tbh. Seems an awfully convenient time for this guy to show up.

Kreed

Shit I forgot about that! Lol yeah that was me. Thanks for the link that's an angle I hadn't thought of and I'll try to add that in. I also watched 13th the other day on Netflix and there are a few more things I want to pull from that as well.

Another question. I have a black officer that when I told him about this training I'm working on, has some life experience growing up in a bad neighborhood, how he had to live his life to survive. He wants to join me in doing at least a portion of the training so that people can see another angle.

I think it's a great idea but I'm a little hesitant and here's why. He's a fairly new officer only having a year on my department and a little experience before getting hired here. I know with doing this I may very likely lose friends and I'm not sure I want him to stick his neck out like that so early in his career. Thoughts?

In regards to the officer, I would probably do your training in full first, and then let the officer have a few minutes to speak at the end, saying something along the lines of the officer hearing about the training and wanting to share his experiences. So that would at least lower the "impact" since he's not directly a part of your presentation, and you can invite other people to speak also if they wish to share something.

Malyse

Watched the Animal Crossing direct to find out WTF Miitopia is. Dude in a suit comes out and announces a Miitopia Direct on Saturday.

Bruh.

Welp, back to writing.

Atlanta ended on such a great note.

Hey guys. So my life has essentially evened out for a bit. Still have a decent paying job, a girlfriend who loves me, an apartment till mid next year, and my mom's cancer treatments have been going alright so far.

Can't complain. Trying to catch up on all the comics I've missed though. Like most of DC Rebirth.

Malyse

Hey guys. So my life has essentially evened out for a bit. Still have a decent paying job, a girlfriend who loves me, an apartment till mid next year, and my mom's cancer treatments have been going alright so far.

Can't complain. Trying to catch up on all the comics I've missed though. Like most of DC Rebirth.

Didn't miss much.

----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlgNoUsr4k

I... um...

That was an unexpected turn.

Went to go vote earlier today and there were only 9 other black people in there. I was like damn.

EDIT: Just found out that black voters have been getting turned away at the voting booths where I live and the NAACP is getting involved to correct these issues. Shit is getting ridiculous here.

D i Z

Mornin' all.

Good to hear. Hoping for a good long stretch of good living for you , bruh.

-----

Silver Surfer Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom