• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Too much water. Probably box mashed potatoes and not homemade.

What the fuck?
no_michael_bluth.gif

milk and butter.
This offends my delicate sensabilities.

Nudull

Banned
I'm only planning on getting a couple of new games for Black Friday. Xenoverse 2 at $25 alone is a no-brainer for a DB nerd like myself, and Dark Souls III at $15 is excellent.

Several other games I'm eyeing up too; Diablo 3, Deus Ex, Mankind Divided ("Aug Lives Matter" is still dumb as hell, but I've been in a cyberpunk mood. Anyone played it?), Dishonored 2 (Think it's too new to get any markdowns, though :/), Digimon Cyber Sleuth, the Uncharted collection, XCOM 2...plenty of stuff to think about.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
In other news, talking about how disgusted I've been with the election results has been good for me. I'm starting to let go of the anxiety. Hopefully I can contribute in some protests soon.

That and I'll be working again soon so I'll have a much needed distraction. 🐻

Mayo on burgers is great.

Agreed. 😋

I wake up maybe 30 minutes ago and put on the newest Game Grumps episode and fuckin' Danny is talking about how Michelle Obama has got a great ass. Was not prepared to laugh this much.

Good lord lol

Hey how you doin lil mama?
Lemme whisper in your ear
Tell you sumthing that you might like to hear
You got a sexy ass body and your ass look soft

Nooooooooo 😂

Nudull

Banned
In other news, talking about how disgusted I've been with the election results has been good for me. I'm starting to let go of the anxiety. Hopefully I can contribute in some protests soon.

That and I'll be working again soon so I'll have a much needed distraction. 🐻

Love to do some protesting. Somebody in my family has to give a shit, though I wouldn't know where to look first.

Love mayo and spicy mayo on burgers and sandwiches too, including veggie. Chipotle and buffalo make good sauces, too. :)

I've worked 3 retail black fridays, and I'm glad I don't have to do a 4th. The 2nd one was aight though, I was literally paid to stand there and answer questions about game consoles.
Hey how you doin lil mama?
Lemme whisper in your ear
Tell you sumthing that you might like to hear
You got a sexy ass body and your ass look soft
Omg lmaooooo

RedSwirl

I read a quote once that went something kinda like: "Stay home with family on Thanksgiving, and by family, I mean Amazon Prime."

Slayven

I do not envy the mods one bit.

Because this place is suddenly VERY diet racist.

Man I always suspected some shit was just below the surface but goddamn. I hope the mods keep up the good work, Gaf is a good place. I hate to see it go down as Reddit lite

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Love to do some protesting. Somebody in my family has to give a shit, though I wouldn't know where to look first.

Love mayo and spicy mayo on burgers and sandwiches too, including veggie. Chipotle and buffalo make good sauces, too. :)

I'm keeping an eye on Facebook. If anything goes down it circulates easily on there.

That sounds goooood. Great now I want a burger but I'm already making chicken and rice for dinner. 😭

Hey guys I never post here because I didn't want to invade what is a safe space for the black community, but after looking at the OP, I figured it was ok for those interested/sympathetic to speak up. With that out of the way, I wanted to know if any of you were now reconsidering bringing life into this world in light of recent events. My wife is black (about 2/3 of African descent with some Creole and 1/4 Japanese) and we likely weren't going to have kids anyway, but now any glimmer of a chance seems to be gone now. It's hard to deal with the reality that your children would potentially grow up in such a hateful world. This is something I've never had to deal with having grown up in the South as a privileged white Protestant Christian male. I've always been sympathetic to the plight of minorities, but only now is it starting to hit home with me. Even worse, when I looked at where we could possibly move other than America, and it looks like there really isn't a safe place for black people in this world. How do you deal with that kind of reality?

Hey guys I never post here because I didn't want to invade what is a safe space for the black community, but after looking at the OP, I figured it was ok for those interested/sympathetic to speak up. With that out of the way, I wanted to know if any of you were now reconsidering bringing life into this world in light of recent events. My wife is black (about 2/3 of African descent with some Creole and 1/4 Japanese) and we likely weren't going to have kids anyway, but now any glimmer of a chance seems to be gone now. It's hard to deal with the reality that your children would potentially grow up in such a hateful world. This is something I've never had to deal with having grown up in the South as a privileged white Protestant Christian male. I've always been sympathetic to the plight of minorities, but only now is it starting to hit home with me. Even worse, when I looked at where we could possibly move other than America, and it looks like there really isn't a safe place for black people in this world. How do you deal with that kind of reality?

When your black, you dont have any choice but to face reality. You have to deal with the fact that you started life at a higher difficulty than everyone else, doubly so if you are a black woman. So, you get over it, and find solace with your own community and push forward, knowing you got to try that much harder to achieve what a white person has. Thats what makes black greatness and excellence so amazing. We applaud people who made it because we know how much harder they fought to get there. Its nice that you care, and if you can help the cause, go for it. Real allies are always welcome.

Bubba T

Falling for that Fox news no-such-thing-as voter suppression bit, huh?

Nah, not really.

I do not envy the mods one bit.

Because this place is suddenly VERY diet racist.

Suddenly?

I've worked 3 retail black fridays, and I'm glad I don't have to do a 4th. The 2nd one was aight though, I was literally paid to stand there and answer questions about game consoles.

Omg lmaooooo

I've worked 3 myself back in the day. My last one was a 16 hour shift. I'll never do that again.

I have this conversation with my wife all the time. Im heavily mixed but fair skinned. My wife is mixed Afro Desi dark skinned. She has always faced adversity more than I because of her skin color especially having been born in Australia.

We look at it this way. We refuse to let what's happening stop us from bringing our beautiful unborn children into this world when we are ready. But the worry is there for sure. Would it be irresposible to do so and put them through this, possibly? Because at the end of the day they wouldn't have asked for it.

You have to look at it from your lifestyle but I don't agree with your second to last sentence in general. See this world has always been racist and hateful and we've always had these eggshells presented to us. Only it "settled down" (wrong) and now it's become apparent again. See some people put this veil over their heads to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Turns out that was a mistake.

The reality of it is it's always been this way I've always had to deal with someone assuming I'm only white and calling me a nigger lover and finding out I'm mixed and calling me worse or calling my wife some of the most vile things that'll make you want to kill a man.

You bring children into this world they'll face it. But that's the reality of it all. That's where we're at but that's where they'll need you as an ally and a father the most. You didnt let this world stop you from bonding with your wife. Don't let it stop you from having children if that's what you both wish. Racism is here to stay. People might disagree with me but I'm being real. It'll always be here. But unity is what will weaken it.

I've worked the holiday season at a Toys R Us and a Macy's.

Never. Again.

I've worked 3 myself back in the day. My last one was a 16 hour shift. I'll never do that again.

For me at least, the Best Buy I was working at actually gave a damn about everyone there so it made those long fucking shifts a lot more bearable. Management cooked food, they were a bit more lenient on how much insurance was required to be attached, etc. Don't get me wrong, that weekend still sucked. But those little things made it more tolerable.

Then of course there was this one new hire who tried to get out that weekend, and her ass got fired LOL.

cdyhybrid

I never really had an issue with working the holidays when it came to the long hours, customers, etc. The thing that convinced me that retail is legalized torture is having to work for the managers I did. They made my job harder than 500 angry customers.

Zekes!

Well I finally finished up the Dragon Ball manga and had to write out my thoughts.

From only watching the anime I always thought I liked the Android and Cell saga the best but I think that, at least in terms of the manga, everything after the Freeza Saga is weak except for Gohan beating Cell and Vegeta's eventual redemption. I also definitely prefer the earlier, pre-Saiyan saga, aka Dragon Ball, arcs over the Dragon Ball Z stuff now that I've experienced the whole series properly from start to finish.

I will say that if the manga had continued after the Cell saga with the tone of the Great Saiyaman saga I would have probably preferred that. I always loved that short arc in the anime and when it happened in the manga it reminded me of what I loved about the earlier parts of the series.

Well I finally finished up the Dragon Ball manga and had to write out my thoughts.

From only watching the anime I always thought I liked the Android and Cell saga the best but I think that, at least in terms of the manga, everything after the Freeza Saga is weak except for Gohan beating Cell and Vegeta's eventual redemption. I also definitely prefer the earlier, pre-Saiyan saga, aka Dragon Ball, arcs over the Dragon Ball Z stuff now that I've experienced the whole series properly from start to finish.

I will say that if the manga had continued after the Cell saga with the tone of the Great Saiyaman saga I would have probably preferred that. I always loved that short arc in the anime and when it happened in the manga it reminded me of what I loved about the earlier parts of the series.
Exactly how I feel. When I was younger, I definitely preferred DBZ but now at the age of 21, DB all the way.
I still love the franchise as a whole though.

Johndoey

Banned
I'm only planning on getting a couple of new games for Black Friday. Xenoverse 2 at $25 alone is a no-brainer for a DB nerd like myself, and Dark Souls III at $15 is excellent.

Several other games I'm eyeing up too; Diablo 3, Deus Ex, Mankind Divided ("Aug Lives Matter" is still dumb as hell, but I've been in a cyberpunk mood. Anyone played it?), Dishonored 2 (Think it's too new to get any markdowns, though :/), Digimon Cyber Sleuth, the Uncharted collection, XCOM 2...plenty of stuff to think about.
Mankind Divided is effectively setup for the original Deus Ex, good game but $30 is probably the max you should pay for it. X-Com 2 console port is decent, load times are iffy. If you haven't played the Uncharted games before and you pick up the collection, don't play those games back to back you'll burn out before you get to the middle of 2.

andthebeatgoeson

Ultimately, having kids is a hopeful experience. You wonder about what they could become, imagine their triumphs. If you don't have kids because if the bad things in the world, you let them succeed.

Fuck that. I may shed tears and worry but what parent doesn't? You will gain much more from having kids, even if they become swallowed by this racist system. Your kid's laugh, is worth much more than this whole world combined, multiplied by 10 and taken to the nth degree.

And maturing, rich societies have a flaw in them. People start having less kids and it becomes more difficult to keep the population sustainable without more kids. So go ahead, fuck and help make this country great again. That's what our Hispanic people's are doing.

I did my part. A society becomes sustainable around 2.1 kids per family and i put in three. Do your part. #maga

I just remembered that a very special show that was cancelled in its first season existed, and immediately burst into laughter when the memories came back. Official Thread for this mystery show is coming, take any guesses now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I just remembered that a very special show that was cancelled in its first season existed, and immediately burst into laughter when the memories came back. Official Thread for this mystery show is coming, take any guesses now.

Finished a season or got canceled during it?

Nudull

Banned
Have you ever played the Tenkaichi or Raging Blast series? It's like those games but features a lot more online and mmo components.

Plenty of treats for the fans, too. Getting to make and customize your own character with looks, clothing, and various moves from the DB canon is a lot of fun.

...and I'm not just saying that because playing badass female Super Saiyans is awesome. :p

Mankind Divided is effectively setup for the original Deus Ex, good game but $30 is probably the max you should pay for it. X-Com 2 console port is decent, load times are iffy. If you haven't played the Uncharted games before and you pick up the collection, don't play those games back to back you'll burn out before you get to the middle of 2.

Good thing MD is going for $25-30. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise, though I did enjoy Human Revolution. Doom and ReCore are going for even cheaper, and I'm sitting here like "fuuuuuuuck" XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom