• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_ogi8x0koOo1qgri2wo1_500.png

tumblr_ogi8x0koOo1qgri2wo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogi8x0koOo1qgri2wo3_1280.jpg

I done asked this once now I'm asking again.... Which one of y'all is John Boyega?!
https://youtu.be/lSq0qyYWKG8?t=58s

but I won't throw JLaw to the dogs (yet) because however awkwardly worded thoses quotes are I get she's trying to do the whole "peace & love" vibes every other celeb on social media is doing atm. This is not to take away from the fact that a good bit of the country should be left to go through a grieving process as this presidency will bring very negative changes. We can't just get over it when Trump's win was literally just announced this week

So, how is everyone this day? I'm planning on finally getting a GameCube memory card. Now I don't have to worry about starting over again, again and again. Thank god. Now I can play Resident Evil, like really play it and maybe finish it.

So, how is everyone this day? I'm planning on finally getting a GameCube memory card. Now I don't have to worry about starting over again, again and again. Thank god. Now I can play Resident Evil, like really play it and maybe finish it.
Someone at work took a vacation so I picked up her night shift schedule. Decided to walk home too which felt really great.
Probably watch some Netflix soon.

tumblr_ogi8x0koOo1qgri2wo1_500.png

tumblr_ogi8x0koOo1qgri2wo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogi8x0koOo1qgri2wo3_1280.jpg

I done asked this once now I'm asking again.... Which one of y'all is John Boyega?!

You know it's Shy. Don't even front.

Also, as a black woman, I'm sick and tired of this oppression olympics. White men have all the privilege. White supremacy is real. Patriarchy is real. Can we just fight both?*

*White women do have it better than black men, but rape culture has convinced some white women that black men have it better due to being men.

Slayven

You know it's Shy. Don't even front.

Also, as a black woman, I'm sick and tired of this oppression olympics. White men have all the privilege. White supremacy is real. Patriarchy is real. Can we just fight both?*

*White women do have it better than black men, but rape culture has convinced some white women that black men have it better due to being men.

It is like the world's worse version of "Who's on first?"

How is the House of Manky?

I think the general perception of black men is more negative than it is towards white women

In the context of comparing Hillary and Obama, I think Hillary has gone through her fair share of trials and tribulations throughout her entire political career due to her gender. Oppression olympics are lame but I'd hope no one, at the very least, would claim Hillary has had an easier time than Obama

Izuna

Banned
Night nurse has it worse of all, she got to be all over NYC, plus have to throw away all her clothes because they get blood on them. If she joins the defenders I hope she charges those fools by the mile

When she popped up in JJ I was like, she's the MVP for real

It is like the world's worse version of "Who's on first?"

How is the House of Manky?

Right, and meanwhile on Standing Rock...

The House of Manky* fares well. Disappointed, but the anger is slowly fading. We have people to take care of and work to do. Also, my mother has provided words of encouragement. Old Black Women are the best.

*That's so Game of Thrones. Or Paris is Burning.

Spinluck

I woke up this morning to white dudes on my FB telling me what I should and shouldn't see as racist. Like they literally dictated to me what I'm allowed to define as discrimination... As if they can speak from experience.

This will pass right, it won't be this way for long?

It was eye opening when I found out that Susan B Anthony fought for womens voting rights because she couldn't accept that black men had rights. The activist and protestor that everyone puts on a pedestal was motivated by white supremacy. Meanwhile, mentioning black or PoC women who fought to get us this far is met with silence. Just thinking about how history has been altered makes me want to cry sometimes.

Izuna

Banned
It was eye opening when I found out that Susan B Anthony fought for womens voting rights because she couldn't accept that black men had rights. The activist and protestor that everyone puts on a pedestal was motivated by white supremacy. Meanwhile, mentioning black or PoC women who fought to get us this far is met with silence. Just thinking about how history has been altered makes me want to cry sometimes.

I didn't know that.

Slayven

Right, and meanwhile on Standing Rock...

The House of Manky* fares well. Disappointed, but the anger is slowly fading. We have people to take care of and work to do. Also, my mother has provided words of encouragement. Old Black Women are the best.

*That's so Game of Thrones. Or Paris is Burning.

Yeah talking to my mom helped me out a lot. Old Black Women are the reall MVP

Hold on what?! That is some crazy shit. My mind is blown.

At least everyone can agree black women get the shortest end of the most gnarled stick.
Yup
Always referred to a black woman's status as a "double-negative"

Jesus I didn't know Susan got down like that

Sch1sm

She famously stated that she would rather cut off her own arm then help a voting system that gave Negros rights.

This is actually news to me. Not too long ago, I think on Election Day, I was seeing photos everywhere of women putting flowers on that woman's grave. Looking at that differently now.

She famously stated that she would rather cut off her own arm then help a voting system that gave Negros rights.

Man and they had a villain on Powerpuff girls who really looked up to Susan too. Damn, I don't think I can look at that episode the same way again after learning that Susan was a racist.

No more respect for her, hell no.

Well fucking shit. I can never see her in the same light again.

There's quite a history of people who are considered social rights activists that founded their revolutionary beliefs on that ol' fashioned racism.

FyreWulff

Yeah a lot of first wave of feminists had some really fucked up views. The TERFs and whites-only feminists that still exist today in the third and fourth wave in the movement didn't come from nowhere.

Don't look up what the founder of the League of Women Voters said.

She didn't necessarily hate black people, she was an abolitionist after all. But she did believe black rights should take a back seat to white womens rights. To her it was ok for African Americans to wait a while for equal rights.

“What words can express her (the white woman’s) humiliation when, at the close of this long conflict, the government which she had served so faithfully held her unworthy of a voice in its councils, while it recognized as the political superiors of all the noble women of the nation the negro men just emerged from slavery, and not only totally illiterate, but also densely ignorant of every public question.”

“The old anti-slavery school says women must stand back and wait until the negroes shall be recognized. But we say, if you will not give the whole loaf of suffrage to the entire people, give it to the most intelligent first. If intelligence, justice, and morality are to have precedence in the government, let the question of the woman be brought up first and that of the negro last.”

Kreed

This is actually news to me. Not too long ago, I think on Election Day, I was seeing photos everywhere of women putting flowers on that woman's grave. Looking at that differently now.

The Bad

“I will cut off this right arm of mine before I will ever work or demand the ballot for the Negro and not the woman.”

The Worse

“What words can express her (the white woman’s) humiliation when, at the close of this long conflict, the government which she had served so faithfully held her unworthy of a voice in its councils, while it recognized as the political superiors of all the noble women of the nation the negro men just emerged from slavery, and not only totally illiterate, but also densely ignorant of every public question.”

The Ugly

“The old anti-slavery school says women must stand back and wait until the negroes shall be recognized. But we say, if you will not give the whole loaf of suffrage to the entire people, give it to the most intelligent first. If intelligence, justice, and morality are to have precedence in the government, let the question of the woman be brought up first and that of the negro last.”

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne....-Anthony-Notorious-Racist-20161108-0027.html

Edit: What SENPAIatLARGE said.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
welp never mind

She didn't necessarily hate black people, she was an abolitionist after all. But she did believe black rights should take a back seat to white womens rights. To her it was ok for African Americans to wait a while for equal rights.

yeah what he said

*Sits down on sofa*

I'm all ears. Who else? I think this might be an eye-opening experience.

You may want to look up some things Gandhi said in his early 20's

“I venture to point out that both the English and the Indians spring from a common stock, called the Indo-Aryan. … A general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir [a derogatory term].”

...or not, depending on how far down you want to go with this.

I have this conversation with my wife all the time. Im heavily mixed but fair skinned. My wife is mixed Afro Desi dark skinned. She has always faced adversity more than I because of her skin color especially having been born in Australia.

We look at it this way. We refuse to let what's happening stop us from bringing our beautiful unborn children into this world when we are ready. But the worry is there for sure. Would it be irresposible to do so and put them through this, possibly? Because at the end of the day they wouldn't have asked for it.

You have to look at it from your lifestyle but I don't agree with your second to last sentence in general. See this world has always been racist and hateful and we've always had these eggshells presented to us. Only it "settled down" (wrong) and now it's become apparent again. See some people put this veil over their heads to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Turns out that was a mistake.

The reality of it is it's always been this way I've always had to deal with someone assuming I'm only white and calling me a nigger lover and finding out I'm mixed and calling me worse or calling my wife some of the most vile things that'll make you want to kill a man.

You bring children into this world they'll face it. But that's the reality of it all. That's where we're at but that's where they'll need you as an ally and a father the most. You didnt let this world stop you from bonding with your wife. Don't let it stop you from having children if that's what you both wish. Racism is here to stay. People might disagree with me but I'm being real. It'll always be here. But unity is what will weaken it.

Ultimately, having kids is a hopeful experience. You wonder about what they could become, imagine their triumphs. If you don't have kids because if the bad things in the world, you let them succeed.

Fuck that. I may shed tears and worry but what parent doesn't? You will gain much more from having kids, even if they become swallowed by this racist system. Your kid's laugh, is worth much more than this whole world combined, multiplied by 10 and taken to the nth degree.

And maturing, rich societies have a flaw in them. People start having less kids and it becomes more difficult to keep the population sustainable without more kids. So go ahead, fuck and help make this country great again. That's what our Hispanic people's are doing.

I did my part. A society becomes sustainable around 2.1 kids per family and i put in three. Do your part. #maga

White Nationalism is normalized yo!

All I can say to you is that no matter how bad things might be soon, the human race, PoC and the United States of America will persevere. Things have been worse. You do what you feel is right for you two but if its something you really ever want to do, start a family, don't let Trump and his "followers" stop you. Don't let them take that away from you if its something you guys ever want and feel you can support.
Thanks guys. That helps a lot. Keep strong as best you can right now. I keep looking for positives but it's tough right now. I guess we just need to do our part to fight hatred and ignorance.

I feel like if you go back far enough, every revered white person in our (US) history had a racist side that they just don't teach you about, because if they did there would hardly be any positive white historical figures

shingi70

Banned
Me when I see friends on Facebook complaining about protestors and buying into the we would have been worse off with Hiliary. Talked to a few black blue collar auto workers and they talked about how they bought into Trump's trade talk.

Did anyone here buy a PS4 pro.

FyreWulff

I feel like if you go back far enough, ever revered white person in our (US) history had a racist side that they just don't teach you about, because if they did there would hardly be any positive white historical figures

It'd probably be only Mister Rogers and .. well... yeah. That's pretty much it. Maaaaybe Jimmy Carter? MAYBE? I dug around on him a while back, and I didn't find anything particularly damning. He killed off secret white separatist schools, for example, that tried to sidestep integration.

George Washington gave some light lip service to freedmen, but intentionally kept moving his own slaves to two different states to "reset the clock" on their freedom. His home state passed a law where any slave was freed after a certain time, and he'd move them about a week before the freedom date to keep them, nor granted them freedom after he passed, but actually gifted them to relatives, to keep the clock running, for example. An asshole people look up to who'd use every technicality in the book to fuck you over twice before you even know what's happened.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I wonder what Marvel's gonna be like under President Trump. I remember they went ham against Nixon during Watergate.

On Wednesday I felt like someone died
The entire vibe on campus since Tuesday has been some of the most depressing shit. Everyone looks like all the joy's been sucked out of them.

Luxorek

I feel like if you go back far enough, ever revered white person in our (US) history had a racist side that they just don't teach you about, because if they did there would hardly be any positive white historical figures

There is some truth to that definitely. I guess the bigger problem is that there is a tendency to venerate some people to such a degree that they are no longer perceived by the public as men/women, but symbols or icons for countries/movements. To critize them would be to attack the movement/country itself for some people.

That Susan Anthony conversation above reminded me of Mahatma Gandhi. He held some pretty deplorable views.

Hi to all from Poland and stay strong, BCT. Reading this thread is one of my pleasures, whenever I have time : )

Zekes!

Didn't Ghandi have some choice words about Black people or was that debunked? I recall there was a lot of controversy about that

Edit: I completely missed the end of Luxorek's post, smh. I just woke uuuuuup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom