• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

This thread perfectly illustrates the disconnect some posters/former posters on GAF have with thinking their views are being silenced vs just plain not following the rules (complaining about threads have been bannable for how many years now?). And now they will run off to their sandbox to complain about GAF being overrun by liberals and blacks afraid to see the truth.

Nah, can't roll with Dave anymore after that cringe-train he rode not too long ago.

Except we still don't know if he actually did that.

Damn at that Trump thread. Gray names as far as the eye can see. And holy shit at the fact that people really don't like politics in their games to go as far as getting banned for it.

This thread perfectly illustrates the disconnect some posters/former posters on GAF have with thinking their views are being silenced vs just plain not following the rules (complaining about threads have been bannable for how many years now?). And now they will run off to their sandbox to complain about GAF being overrun by liberals and blacks afraid to see the truth.

Except we still don't know if he actually did that.

Doesn't his trans comments go back way before this?

attractive relatives are a bummer

She ain't related to me though. My cousin's cousin on her mom's side. I'm related to my cousin through her dad.

Damn at that Trump thread. Gray names as far as the eye can see. And holy shit at the fact that people really don't like politics in their games to go as far as getting banned for it.
It's a shame. I did go in it to get them links. I even emailed DoubleFine on how to reach out to women of color.

She ain't related to me though. My cousin's cousin on her mom's side. I'm related to my cousin through her dad.

It's a shame. I did go in it to get them links. I even emailed DoubleFine on how to reach out to women of color.

It is a shame. Trump's victory brought out the worst humanity has to offer. And even more, it was underneath the surface for soooo long.

FyreWulff

I always like when people think there aren't politics in games when they've been in video games since the Atari, easily.

People forget if a creative work doesn't feel political to you, it's likely because it matches your politics.

For instance, there's people getting heated over Rock Band 4 marking a transgender singer's song as female, and letting male singers sing female parts and vice versa. The game doesn't even restrict what hairstyles or clothes you can wear regardless of gender. And some people have near literally said "harmonix could be making me dlc instead of being politically correct"

FyreWulff

Rock Band cooler than Guitar Hero, confirmed.

Specifically Laura Jane Grace of Against Me! is going to be re-marked as a female singer in the next update for all Against Me! songs, including the ones when she was known as Tom.

The game lets you sort songs by singer "Woman" "Man" and "Non-Binary". There's only one non-binary song in the game so far, though:

jsQA81il.jpg

Slayven

I didn't see it on Gaf, but i saw a tweet that had Blizzard said that some of the Overwatch characters were LBGTQ, and folks were losing their minds?

Kreed

Doesn't his trans comments go back way before this?

We've had news articles on him making Kaitlyn Jenner jokes, but never any audio or video of the jokes so we can only take the articles' words for it, which IMO isn't enough to throw Dave in the "ignorance bucket" yet.

Nudull

Banned
I didn't see it on Gaf, but i saw a tweet that had Blizzard said that some of the Overwatch characters were LBGTQ, and folks were losing their minds?

I don't think Blizzard ever specified on who yet, which does come off as queerbaiting.

I do know that one of them is on the autism spectrum (Symmetra).

Sch1sm

I just hope Blizzard does it some justice. Just saying a character is LGBT is lazy work. Representation is always nice, but better it be good representation than just fulfilling some progressive checklist. Wonder where it fits, anyway. Within lore, I mean. Considering it's p much a MOBA type, it won't exactly be referenced loads within games.

---

Morning, BCT.

I always like when people think there aren't politics in games when they've been in video games since the Atari, easily.

People forget if a creative work doesn't feel political to you, it's likely because it matches your politics.
Really? I don't see how something like Wipeout or Super Mario Bros is trying to convey a political message.

For instance, there's people getting heated over Rock Band 4 marking a transgender singer's song as female, and letting male singers sing female parts and vice versa. The game doesn't even restrict what hairstyles or clothes you can wear regardless of gender. And some people have near literally said "harmonix could be making me dlc instead of being politically correct"

That doesn't surprise me. There's a ton of predjudice, hate, and insensitivity on the internet.

Morning peeps. Despite no 3DS I still think I'll be skipping this Pokémon generation even with all the cool directions it's taking. The series just isn't hitting my heart as hard as it used to.

Slayven

Morning peeps. Despite no 3DS I still think I'll be skipping this Pokémon generation even with all the cool directions it's taking. The series just isn't hitting my heart as hard as it used to.
I buy every other pokemon and end up quitting them because of them bullshit arbitrary roadblock the game gives you. Then i come back to the game only to not remember what i have to do next .

They need a quest log or something

FyreWulff

Really? I don't see how something like Wipeout or Super Mario Bros is trying to convey a political message.

Adventure on Atari has the designer's name and credit in the game via a secret easter egg sequence - even though Atari banned credits because they felt designers shouldn't be credited for their work (obstensibly to make it harder to headhunt them), so that's a game with a labor dispute embedded right into it, and a debate that eventually led to the formation of Activision.

I've always found the history of Activision sort of neat

Sch1sm

Dunno if anyone heard about this, or mentioned it before, but Toronto has this advertising campaign run by OCASI (Ontario Council of Agency Serving Immigrants) and funded by the city that's specifically confronting anti-black racism.

Bang on stuff:

Even has links to Harvard's Check Your Bias quizzes at the site all the posters printed on city bus shelters and subway/trains.

They ran a similar one combatting Islamophobia and xenophobia before, as well. A series of, "Go back to where you came from." "Where, <insert Toronto area>?"

In both cases, it was met with people complaining about how it isn't all white people who are racist and giving the agency 1 star reviews wherever they could for it, love it.

Slayven

Dunno if anyone heard about this, or mentioned it before, but Toronto has this advertising campaign run by OCASI (Ontario Council of Agency Serving Immigrants) and funded by the city that's specifically confronting anti-black racism.

Bang on stuff:

Even has links to Harvard's Check Your Bias quizzes at the site all the posters printed on city bus shelters and subway/trains.

They ran a similar one combatting Islamophobia and xenophobia before, as well. A series of, "Go back to where you came drone." "Where, <insert Toronto area>?"

In both cases, it was met with people complaining about how it isn't all white people who are racist and giving the agency 1 star reviews wherever they could for it, love it.

God I wish i could move to Canada

Infinite

Bang on stuff:

They ran a similar one combatting Islamophobia and xenophobia before, as well. A series of, "Go back to where you came drone." "Where, <insert Toronto area>?"

lol to be expected.

Canada shaping up to be the most progressive country in the west. I wish had family in Toronto cause I would move there in a heartbeat. Gentrification too strong.

Sch1sm

Go back to where you came drone. That's an unfortunate typo on my part. Definitely meant from*. Edited the original. &#128064;

I'm not sure how other major cities in Canada match up, but Toronto's motto is, "Diversity our Strength," and our municipal government goes out of their way to fund these and raise awareness of a reality people try to ignore simply because we're some melting pot. It's definitely nice. No better city for me out there.

This is as nice as when last Fall, random/arbitrary carding was eliminated across all police forces in the province.

Mornin ya'll

I need to know if I will ever find my GOTY before the year is up. Does anyone have insight on Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2? Specifically Dishonored 2, I had a blast with the first game, can't say the same with Watch Dogs.

Mornin ya'll

I need to know if I will ever find my GOTY before the year is up. Does anyone have insight on Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2? Specifically Dishonored 2, I had a blast with the first game, can't say the same with Watch Dogs.
I can't believe I'm going to end up buying Watch Dogs 2 before Dishonored 2. Bethesda really messed up the PC release this time around. Can't wait for people to realize that 3 of the top grossing games this year starred black men in lead roles.

shingi70

Banned
Morning BcT.

Yeah I think I like the idea of GT more than Super. That said Dragon Ball is still the best thing about the franchise.

Johndoey

Banned
Omega Shenron and Baby were great ideas for villains.
Especially since Baby is basically just body hopping Doomsday.
--
I wish I could go to sleep for four years. I honestly can't believe this man is still rambling on twitter,goddamn travesty.
--
Re-read Arkham Asylum, still great.

Neat idea until I realized it's been done before.

I'd say Goku Black was cooler than any of the other "evil Goku's"

They dropped the ball by not making him the main villain until the end because Zamasu is beyond lame

The new characters designs in Super are worse than GT's

Yup. Regardless of GT's quality they definitely tried to be as creative as possible with the new villain designs

Omega Shenron and Baby were great ideas for villains.
Especially since Baby is basically just body hopping Doomsday.
--
I wish I could go to sleep for four years. I honestly can't believe this man is still rambling on twitter,goddamn travesty.
--
Re-read Arkham Asylum, still great.
DBZ was great with Cell as a horror villain and it was cool that they tapped into that for Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom