• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Yo!

full
On that Luke Cage grind. Shit is too good
full
. Got a brother aiming for that bullet proof bod.Won't happen tho
heh.png

They got my boy Dom from Person of interest in Black Panther. That guy too smooth
full

full
full
Yes,Lupita still fine af. Would do harSon tier shit to be blessed by her presence
full
.Won't have a release of Africa centric movie here doe. Might aswell be aliens. It's about chess dammit. Resorting to the bloodline ability to catch that honey
full

I am not a music fan, but even I had to fire up the soundtrack on spotify.

Shit if fire

The songs set the mood for the episode. They don't get it. Music is usually strongly associated with events in people's lives. Look at the soul music during civil rights. Shit, I have songs that define entire years of my life.

I hate the criticism...

BigDes

Episode 1 of Luke Cage down

They are hammering (lol get it) in the MCU connections here.

First series where Tony Stark is mentioned explicitly by name?

Slayven

The songs set the mood for the episode. They don't get it. Music is usually strongly associated with events in people's lives. Look at the soul music during civil rights. Shit, I have songs that define entire years of my life.

I hate the criticism...

Yep music long been the way for the minority to tell their story. From Negro Spirituals to narco-corrido

BigDes

So what is the name of the actress who plays the auditor that Luke hooks up with in the first episode?

Purely out of curiosity and all

So what is the name of the actress who plays the auditor that Luke hooks up with in the first episode?

Purely out of curiosity and all

This show is filled with beautiful women. Her name is Simone Missick. Oh and I know you're going to wonder later so "her" name is Parisa Fitz-Henley.

Had a pretty good haul at my local comic book shop yesterday. Caught on all the Black Panther I missed and started nighthawk and the new Power Man and Iron Fist.

I have a theory about minority driven shows and how well they do. They largely have to fall into 3 categories, or at least largely incorporate elements from these categories, or it's just a crap shoot.

The first category is general audience (AKA white) accessible. They need some element of relateability, which is why we end up with some many family sitcoms (i.e. Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Black-ish). They can still tailor to the group in question, and get away with touching on issues specific to them, while not being completely alienating.

The second category is having a white insert. Basically a story where the minorities are clearly the main characters and the story is largely about them, but there's a white guy that is narrating or driving it (i.e. Marco Polo, Narcos, Orange is the New Black sort of).

The third category is simply ratchetness. If the shows are pure entertainment, then starring a minority cast is overlooked. A big example of this is Empire (which is actually pretty good once you look past that), and some of Shonda Rhymes shows.

Luke Cage doesn't really fall into any of these. I'm hoping that it having the Marvel name and being a superhero show ups its general accessibility, as people like superheros regardless, but we'll see. It's also why something like The Get Down didn't really catch on. It didn't fall into anything of these. You simply had to enjoy it for what it was even if it seemed "foreign" to you, and it didn't seem like a lot of people could

jmood88

I have a theory about minority driven shows and how well they do. They largely have to fall into 3 categories, or at least largely incorporate elements from these categories, or it's just a crap shoot.

The first category is general audience (AKA white) accessible. They need some element of relateability, which is why we end up with some many family sitcoms (i.e. Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Black-ish). They can still tailor to the group in question, and get away with touching on issues specific to them, while not being completely alienating.

The second category is having a white insert. Basically a story where the minorities are clearly the main characters and the story is largely about them, but there's a white guy that is narrating or driving it (i.e. Marco Polo, Narcos, Orange is the New Black sort of).

The third category is simply ratchetness. If the shows are pure entertainment, then starring a minority cast is overlooked. A big example of this is Empire (which is actually pretty good once you look past that), and some of Shonda Rhymes shows.

Luke Cage doesn't really fall into any of these. I'm hoping that it having the Marvel name and being a superhero show ups its general accessibility, as people like superheros regardless, but we'll see. It's also why something like The Get Down didn't really catch on. It didn't fall into anything of these. You simply had to enjoy it for what it was even if it seemed "foreign" to you, and it didn't seem like a lot of people could
I'm still surprised at how far they went without worrying about making sure that white people would understand the references and music

Numb

Disney/Marvel name a blessing and chance platform to get these things out there and have an audience show up. Good material aswell

Shy

Ayeee, good morning black people!
Morning, friends. Sending all the good vibes for your Saturday. 🤗
Morning Black Folks.
Morning morning.
It's possible if it doesn't get the views. I know some people who have Netflix yet have zero interest in this show. And they've watched both Daredevil and Jessica Jones. The aversion to anything considered 'black' is something that hasn't been discussed around here.
LTbTRIG.gif

He is going to be the only criminal in The Punisher series that Frank doesn't kill because really, what would be the point
And it would be even funnier, if Frank flat out said that to him too.

Numb

That's what I'm hoping, but imagine if Netflix and Marvel had started their partnership with Luke Cage as the first show??

Let's be happy it didn't
Having DD and JJ go first was a smart move and warmed people up to the idea of Luke Cage. Few would have been hyped and some ideas of it being not good enough for a movie would have popped up.
DD and JJ having the street level grime and hardcoreness not seen in the movies was also another bonus to Cage in prep

Slayven

I'm still surprised at how far they went without worrying about making sure that white people would understand the references and music

So many references, goddamn the names they be dropping is like Black History month. Shit they even shout out Latinos

D i Z

Luke Cage ain't shit. Daughters of the Dragon is where it's at.

Come at me.

No, don't I'm just playin'.

JeanGrey

Didn't Claire hook with Matt in Daredevil? She's seem to be sharing the love around wonder of she will hook up with Iron Fist too...

Sorry just a little pissed thought Luke would stay with Misty. Though isn't Luke Cage and Jessica Jones a thing in the comics. They even have a daughter named Danille? Maybe I've got my comics mixed up.

Anyhow different universe different outcome?

Didn't Claire hook with Matt in Daredevil? She's seem to be sharing the love around wonder of she will hook up with Iron Fist too...

Sorry just a little pissed thought Luke would stay with Misty. Though isn't Luke Cage and Jessica Jones a thing in the comics. They even have a daughter named Danille? Maybe I've got my comics mixed up.

Yea, Cage ends up with Jessica in the comics

Luke Cage fucked up thinking people are on some iphone loser shit in episode 4 where she using the phone for a call and it's still on the home screen. And one of the music choices was so dumb in episode 6 I think

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

hopefully misty would end up hooking up with danny, that reflects back in the comics, and we can finally get lucy

RedSwirl

Just watched Free State of Jones. I'm actually impressed with it.

Aside from it hitting the typical notes of "black movie that white people can be comfortable with," it's really well-shot. I have to admit that first gunfight scene caught me off guard. There's some light underground railroad-type stuff in there too. I'm surprised no one has at least tried to make a Hollywood-ized take on that. Another thing though is that I haven't really seen any major media take a look at the reconstruction era and the problems that occurred during. That this movie at least tried is a bit illuminating and makes you wish another movie or something else would go further one day.

Anyway, Stranger Things is pretty cool I guess.

Malyse

I'm so glad my OP was vidicated.

-----

Going to the African American History museum on Tuesday.
Luke Cage fucked up thinking people are on some iphone loser shit in episode 4 where she using the phone for a call and it's still on the home screen. And one of the music choices was so dumb in episode 6 I think

Are you seriously doing this? Come on.
It's possible if it doesn't get the views. I know some people who have Netflix yet have zero interest in this show. And they've watched both Daredevil and Jessica Jones. The aversion to anything considered 'black' is something that hasn't been discussed around here.
Nah. Netflix only cares about having lots of content available. None of their stuff doesn't get renewed, especially when they spend time getting mindshare like they do with they Marvel properties. Soon we gonna be getting limited/spinoff movies/shows. Like a Misty Knight 4 episode show or a Colleen Wing movie.

I'm so glad my OP was vidicated.

-----

Going to the African American History museum on Tuesday.

Are you seriously doing this? Come on.

Nah. Netflix only cares about having lots of content available. None of their stuff doesn't get renewed, especially when they spend time getting mindshare like they do with they Marvel properties. Soon we gonna be getting limited/spinoff movies/shows. Like a Misty Knight 4 episode show or a Colleen Wing movie.
Heh you guys are encouraging it

The show can't be shit after the
Charles Bradley
cameo to me

Just watched Free State of Jones. I'm actually impressed with it.

Aside from it hitting the typical notes of "black movie that white people can be comfortable with," it's really well-shot. I have to admit that first gunfight scene caught me off guard. There's some light underground railroad-type stuff in there too. I'm surprised no one has at least tried to make a Hollywood-ized take on that. Another thing though is that I haven't really seen any major media take a look at the reconstruction era and the problems that occurred during. That this movie at least tried is a bit illuminating and makes you wish another movie or something else would go further one day.

Anyway, Stranger Things is pretty cool I guess.

Bizarrely enough, Free State of Jones is based on a real actual story. It's as if someone was desperately searching for a "good white man in the time of slavery" story and there it was...but it really existed.

Been gone since 9:30 this morning with this owner of an agency I'm applied to. Went to a meeting that we left early at 1 then went to his house then back to his studio where I meet one of his models, but didn't get out until now. It's an understatement to say I'm tired. I think I may have a job now. It's unclear because we didn't discuss pay rates or an actual date of working.

I'm way behind on my Luke Cage compared to yall but that Bring Da Ruckus scene had me in church

Oh hell yeah, that was some good shit. I do feel like the choreography could be a bit better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom