• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

It should imagine a console Pokemon done right. They can start at blue and red, and every six months sell a new region with the new pokemon

Aka, a Pokemon game not done by Nintendo/Gamefreak. Just from this app mess going on on Gaming side, not only will Nintendo never make this game, but it's probably a good idea that they don't.

Word. They have a vested interest in white supremacy. I can only hope that some of the good ones™ are observing the white reactionaries cutting a fool in that thread, and that they may do some introspection. Not that they'll divest themselves of whiteness.

When i read it, first page already had posts by 2 of the usual fools in these kind of threads so i instantly checked out and never went back, sorry :s

Imm0rt4l

When i read it, first page already had posts by 2 of the usual fools in these kind of threads so i instantly checked out and never went back, sorry :s
Understandable, gotta practice self care. Can't have an honest conversation about race ever, because white people. But a d-list (racist)celebrity cries on national television because he was called white boy, and somehow white fragility isn't a thing /s. Somehow this great injustice is the jumpoff point into an honest conversation about race, but not say...black folx being consigned to social death. I'm muhfuckin tide

shingi70

Banned
Aka, a Pokemon game not done by Nintendo/Gamefreak. Just from this app mess going on on Gaming side, not only will Nintendo never make this game, but it's probably a good idea that they don't.

People say they want console or MMO Pokemon, but the game just doesn't work outside of its turn based mechanics. Also it's the one RPG franchise that still needs ransom battles to work.

People say they want console or MMO Pokemon, but the game just doesn't work outside of its turn based mechanics. Also it's the one RPG franchise that still needs ransom battles to work.

Hence why I compared it to FFXV. I can easily imagine a Pokemon game like that, expect make it turn-based instead of the active battles of FFXV.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo hardcores really does defend everything they do holy shit.

To me, Nintendo basically is video games in a way that no other company can hope to match. They always find a way to release fantastic games, and I don't think any other publisher/developer in the history of the medium stands up to Nintendo's track record of quality and innovation.

So I understand the impulse to defend a company you're a big fan of, but there are some very specific ways in which Nintendo has shown itself to be fucking incompetent over the last few years.

It's a shame, because I really want Nintendo to succeed, and think the game industry would be missing something important if they weren't part of it.

But they have lost their damn minds.

To me, Nintendo basically is video games in a way that no other company can hope to match. They always find a way to release fantastic games, and I don't think any other publisher/developer in the history of the medium stands up to Nintendo's track record of quality and innovation.

So I understand the impulse to defend a company you're a big fan of, but there are some very specific ways in which Nintendo has shown itself to be fucking incompetent over the last few years.

It's a shame, because I really want Nintendo to succeed, and think the game industry would be missing something important if they weren't part of it.

Nintendo is an excellent developer, but a terrible platform holder. I think people need to separate the two and stop defending the incompetence out of love for the games.

I would agree that Nintendo pretty much is the reason video games are in the place they are today, as in they laid the foundation for what we have today.

But past performance should not lead to defense of today's actions. If someone saved people from a burning building every week, I'm not going to bend over backwards to defend them beating up a homeless dude this morning because of what they did in the past.

Slayven

Understandable, gotta practice self care. Can't have an honest conversation about race ever, because white people. But a d-list (racist)celebrity cries on national television because he was called white boy, and somehow white fragility isn't a thing /s. Somehow this great injustice is the jumpoff point into an honest conversation about race, but not say...black folx being consigned to social death. I'm muhfuckin tide

But they want a conversation. Nope, not falling for that trap again

shingi70

Banned
I understand as a cheerleader or evangelist why you would want the Switch to have a stronger launch line up, and especially in the case of gaming websites who rarely pay for their own games.

From my personal point of view I just don't see the problem with the line up. Yes it should probably be bigger to succeed, but man that's not my problem at all. Plus I own other consoles and spring alone for me is going to have

Switch launch (Zelda, Bomberman, eshop games)
Mass Effect
Halo Wara
Mario Kart
Fire Emblem echoes
Injustice 2

All that alone should hold me over to the fall.

But they want a conversation. Nope, not falling for that trap again

It brings up a good point tho:

I want one of the black folks who respond to "we should really think about going back to Africa and building there" with "I'm not leaving here, this is my home, moving is hard" with how do you realistically think things are going to get better with people who can't even discuss race or systemic racism in the first place? They've been the same people since 1619 and given zero evidence that at their core they have any desire to actually dismantle any of the things that try to keep black people down, so why? Yeah, its gonna be hella hard to build something from scratch and build a new home, but nothing worth doing tends to be easy. It wasn't easy getting here, and they damn sure won't make it easy to leave.

Hell, the best analogy would be like hanging out at a racist frat party hoping they will hopefully not be racist at the end of the party, but since you won't leave and keep asking to get a beer from the keg, they are going to call the police on their own party to get it shut down rather than you have a beer. At a certain point, seems more productive to have your own party, invite who you want, etc. And yeah, you're thinking "how I'm gonna hold my own party? I don't have a house, I got like 7 dollars!" But if there's anything I know about black folks, its that we can take less than nothing and make some good shit out of it, and I truly feel that's what needs to be done.

...or we can keep integrating into a burning building. Whatevs.

Imm0rt4l

It brings up a good point tho:

I want one of the black folks who respond to "we should really think about going back to Africa and building there" with "I'm not leaving here, this is my home, moving is hard" with how do you realistically think things are going to get better with people who can't even discuss race or systemic racism in the first place? They've been the same people since 1619 and given zero evidence that at their core they have any desire to actually dismantle any of the things that try to keep black people down, so why? Yeah, its gonna be hella hard to build something from scratch and build a new home, but nothing worth doing tends to be easy. It wasn't easy getting here, and they damn sure won't make it easy to leave.

Hell, the best analogy would be like hanging out at a racist frat party hoping they will hopefully not be racist at the end of the party, but since you won't leave and keep asking to get a beer from the keg, they are going to call the police on their own party to get it shut down rather than you have a beer. At a certain point, seems more productive to have your own party, invite who you want, etc. And yeah, you're thinking "how I'm gonna hold my own party? I don't have a house, I got like 7 dollars!" But if there's anything I know about black folks, its that we can take less than nothing and make some good shit out of it, and I truly feel that's what needs to be done.

...or we can keep integrating into a burning building. Whatevs.

I've given this a lot of thought lately, it's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I believe that America is fundamentally rotten to its core with little interest in actually acknowledging it's own transgressions. This country was built on black bodies on the Graves of native people. We live in a country where the choice last election was between a moderate republican and a white nationalist...and this country chose the white nationalist. I'm so disillusioned with this country and it's antiblackness. I look at Africa and think about how being in America is in some form, proximity to whiteness. Africa will be deprived of aid where needed while exploiting it of its resources. But I do hear you on black folks ability to make something good out of a terrible situation. History has shown this to be true.

Current situation: ThisIsFine.png

zeemumu

I need to stay off of social media. Being behind in college and then seeing all of these people on Facebook hanging around Europe has got me bummed out.

Kreed

Nintendo is an excellent developer, but a terrible platform holder. I think people need to separate the two and stop defending the incompetence out of love for the games.

I wouldn't say that Nintendo is a terrible platform holder (the Switch looks like great portable hardware for example), it's that they continue to act like no other gaming companies exist/they have no competition when making decisions. It's like if everything Apple did with their phones was removing headphone jacks and installing map software that navigated people off of cliffs, while acting like Samsung/Google only sell microwaves.

I wouldn't say that Nintendo is a terrible platform holder (the Switch looks like great portable hardware for example), it's that they continue to act like no other gaming companies exist/they have no competition when making decisions. It's like if everything Apple did with their phones was removing headphone jacks and installing map software that navigated people off of cliffs, while acting like Samsung/Google only sell microwaves.

The issue with Nintendo is that they thibk they are the apple of the games industry. They are not. They struggle as a platform holder because they cannot cultivate large 3rd party support. The 3ds flourished because it was cheap to develop for. Idk if that will continue. Western 3rd parties will continue to shit on the platform because of the lack of power and the focus on a control method that no one asked for.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
by the way, if anybody hasn't watched Star Trek Deep Space Nine, you need to get on that shit

I would, but I already made my donation to the Broke Nigga Foundation already this month.

giphy.gif

Kanye too black for the Inauguration. Who surprised?

Probably just him and Kim.

T-Minus 1 day until:
QLAdQ.gif

And I'm am starting to return to that November 9th feeling of pure disbelief that real life events are unfolding as they are. Despite clear evidence of collusion, and obvious moves to give dangerous people power, nothing can stop Trump. For me at least, tomorrow represents the last day Trump is funny. The danger is now real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom