• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im gonna start writing some details about an animation series idea involving a badass black woman cop with a stylish Afro in a futuristic 1970 style world working with a partner who is a crack shot with a gun. Might as well make the dream happen myself if I want to see more black representation in animation.

Enzom21

GAF: where white 10 year olds know nothing but what's told to them by their parents, yet black 12 year olds should know everything about the world around them and how it works.
You ain't wrong...

Syriel in the Tamir thread:

Can't blame that cops for that one.

Stupid kid, pulling a gun on them :/
First post nails it.

It looked like a gun.

The kid acted like he had a gun.

Cops are not mind readers.

It's perfectly legal (and encouraged) to stand up to power tripping cops and give them shit, but you do not ever pull out anything remotely resembling a gun while dealing with a cop unless you plan on getting shot.

This was not a case of a power tripping cop putting hit boot on a minority.

From all existing reports, this was a case of an idiot kid who drew on an officer and was shot. Since people can draw and fire very quickly, it is difficult to blame the officer for shooting.

10 Year old protester thread:
Verbal, yeah.

But if your instinct is to get physical with a 10-year-old because you don't like the message they're carrying, then your moral compass is all out of whack.

Then again, that's the type of person that would fit right in, in Trump's vision of America.

This x1000.
Tagyhag in the Tamir thread:
Not really, it was probably a moment of panic like "Wait it's not real look!"

The kid was only 12, he was an idiot, and his parents are idiots for letting him such a realistic gun in the first place. I assume the green officer immediately remembered his training about not hesitating because you will die. He obviously wouldn't have shot a damn kid if he knew it was a fake.

It's a shitty situation all around.

Tagyhag in the 10 year old thread:
You have to be a real motherfucker to shove a 10 year old and call him a pussy.

Don't act like you're above Trump, you're clearly not.
Must be that two year age difference that doesn't allow them to see Tamir as anything more than an "idiot" or "stupid."��

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So one of my coworkers posted this image on fb today. Another co-worker 'liked' it, as well as my direct supervisor liked it..

UBLTqsL.gif

Ive been heated all night about it. I'm not sure if its because how laughable they dont realize basic american history facts, or if its just disgusting because how transparently racist it is.

I honestly dont know who to talk to about it, but for now... i refuse to associate with those 3 coworkers.

Am i over reacting?

So one of my coworkers posted this image on fb today. Another co-worker 'liked' it, as well as my direct supervisor liked it..

Ive been heated all night about it. I'm not sure if its because how laughable they dont realize basic american history facts, or if its just disgusting because how transparently racist it is.

I honestly dont know who to talk to about it, but for now... i refuse to associate with those 3 coworkers.

Am i over reacting?

It's a damn shame that Republicans always cling to "we freed the slaves!!"

Like damn, that was back in 1865... y'all got any more worthwhile achievements than that?!?!

You ain't wrong...

Must be that two year age difference that doesn't allow them to see Tamir as anything more than an "idiot" or "stupid."��
Naw probably because the 10 yr old has reddish hair, everyone knows redheads are persecuted

Like damn, that was back in 1865... y'all got any more worthwhile achievements than that?!?!
The Republicans weren't even today's Republicans back then

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

Republicans used to be the liberals back then and democrats used to be the conservatives.

Which makes my coworkers point completely ignorant. And repulsive imo.

Finished watching Fist of Legend and want to write a martial arts film with a black woman, but I'm terrible at writing action.

Write like Chocolate except don't make the black woman autistic.

You ain't wrong...

Did you post that in the thread?

You ain't wrong...

Watching the thread for their responses. Hoping not to see any "It was 2 different situations" or "Well Tamir was a physical danger so that made it ok" bs. For once, I'd hope dissonance would actually make someone rethink how empathtic they've been toward black people.

Am i over reacting?

I don't think you are. For people like that, my policy is: interact with them only as much as necessary to get work done and nothing more. Freedom from slavery is a prop Repubs love to bandy about as though it was an act that absolves them all minority criticism.

---

Anybody do any Amazon Turk work in general for some light bank account bolstering? How's it worked for you if you did or still do it?

Young Magus

Code:
[IMG]http://68.media.tumblr.com/ae06d0d0c351dd948746e9ec8349d974/tumblr_ogarmc6QIK1ualud2o1_1280.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://66.media.tumblr.com/8d3d3b36a62152a1910edbcf0bc38a3e/tumblr_ogarmc6QIK1ualud2o2_500.jpg[/IMG]

Im sorry

Gattsu25

Banned

Am i over reacting?

That would have me livid. It's a touchy situation especially since your boss is basically admitting to being a low information goon.

Izuna

Banned
It's because, tbh, -- racist -- white people see anyone not white as "the other". This large group that's causing them to compete in every walk in life. Oh no!

In the words of that random white dude in that crap Obama biopic: "Why does everything have to be about slavery?"

---

Why do I love this photo?

kQubmL8.jpg

It's because, tbh, -- racist -- white people see anyone not white as "the other". This large group that's causing them to compete in every walk in life. Oh no!

In the words of that random white dude in that crap Obama biopic: "Why does everything have to be about slavery?"

---

Why do I love this photo?

kQubmL8.jpg

7GAkL0U.jpg

Deepwater

Yall ever wonder why white people are so tolerant towards disrespect? This is mostly because of all the folk saying punching richard spencer for his views is a bad thing.

I'm just thinking about where I come from, where it was perfectly okay for someone to get slapped or punched for saying even the slightest of slick shit.

BigDes

Yall ever wonder why white people are so tolerant towards disrespect? This is mostly because of all the folk saying punching richard spencer for his views is a bad thing.

I'm just thinking about where I come from, where it was perfectly okay for someone to get slapped or punched for saying even the slightest of slick shit.
Because order and stability are much less scary than the turbulence justice brings.

BigDes

One of the weirdest things about the next flow years will be how people's view of George W changes from warmongering criminal idiot to bumbling uncle

Deepwater

Because order and stability are much less scary than the turbulence justice brings.

While that's true, I mean in a slightly more petty context.

I walk up to 100 black people on the street and call them a bitch, 95/100 of those black people gonna want to throw hands.

I walk up to 100 white people on the street and call them a bitch, prolly like 15 or 20 are gonna do something about it.

I walk up to 100 black people on the street and call them a bitch, 95/100 of those black people gonna want to throw hands.

I walk up to 100 white people on the street and call them a bitch, prolly like 15 or 20 are gonna do something about it.
Generally, black people care more about pride and respect, and white people care more about security and stability in those situations? That's just my guess.

Edit: What am I saying? People aren't a monolith. I'm questioning where you're getting this.

Izuna

Banned

I dunno if you're invoking racial stereotypes or talking about some Boondock's shit.

Being black has nothing to do with it. I can only imagine that in America the "black experience" growing up has some environmental effect because in the UK you'd only think that of football fans (vastly white).

edit: go up to my brother and call him a bitch and he probs wouldn't give a shit and walk away

Deepwater

Generally, black people care more about pride and respect, and white people care more about security and stability in those situations? That's just my guess.

I dunno if you're invoking racial stereotypes or talking about some Boondock's shit.

Being black has nothing to do with it. I can only imagine that in America the "black experience" growing up has some environmental effect because in the UK you'd only think that of football fans (vastly white).

edit: go up to my brother and call him a bitch and he probs wouldn't give a shit and walk away

Funnily enough I did think of that Boondocks scene about the shoes right after I posted it. And I am speaking in an american context. I just find it interesting how everyday white people are intensely adverse to violence in almost every situation (that doesn't involve bombing someone for oil or "shutting down riots").

Funnily enough I did think of that Boondocks scene about the shoes right after I posted it. And I am speaking in an american context. I just find it interesting how everyday white people are intensely adverse to violence in almost every situation (that doesn't involve bombing someone for oil or "shutting down riots").
White people have caused tons of violence in history. In today's world, much of the aversion to violence you're talking about is just dogwhistling or scrambling to feel morally superior. As far as calling someone a bitch on the street, I know white people who would react by laughing, confusion, or attacking the person who called them a bitch. I know more white people who would try to avoid the situation, though. I don't think white people are used to having to fight for respect, generally.

Deepwater

White people have caused tons of violence in history. In today's world, much of the aversion to violence you're talking about is just dogwhistling or scrambling to feel morally superior. As far as calling someone a bitch on the street, I know white people who would react by laughing, confusion, or attacking the person who called them a bitch. I know more white people who would try to avoid the situation, though. I don't think white people are used to having to fight for respect, generally.

Calling someone a bitch was just the example I used to illustrate tolerance of disrespect. And I wouldn't necessarily frame it as "fighting for respect", but rather not tolerating disrespect. I think it's two totally different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom