• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish i could go back in time and tell Lil Slayven that folks will be talking nonstop about folks like Luke Cage, Shades, and Black Mariah.

MHWILLIAMs must be over the moon

Yeah, I'd never expect it myself. I always thought he was C-list and would never get any media presence. When Marvel announced it way back when I expected it just to be mediocre.

Just finished it.
I was expecting them to wrap it nicely in a neat package, but they left cliffhangers. Shades and Mariah are still operating, Luke is being hauled off to Georgia, the doctor who gave Luke his powers is treating Diamondback, and the man at the barber shop found the files to prove his innocence. Ahhh, it bugs me. I guess they'll wrap up the ties in Defenders.

Slayven

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/arts/television/review-marvels-luke-cage-a-hero-for-harlem.html

This approach has a couple of effects, beyond the unusual (for the superhero genre) and welcome element of diversity. The selling of Harlem as a literary-artistic wonderland is distracting in what’s basically a straightforward, middling-quality comic-book adaptation about a reluctant hero taking on gangsters and crooked politicians.

And it often feels like the cultural lessons are getting in the way of the genre fun. There’s more conversation than action, and the talk has a tendency to slide into debate, about vigilantism or competing ideas of Harlem or visions of the solitary black hero. (Cage is a Walter Mosley-Easy Rawlins man, while his mentor, Pops, prefers Donald Goines and his more radical crime-fighter, Kenyatta.) It’s as if we’re listening to a series of long-running circular arguments rather than watching a drama with some forward momentum. It doesn’t help that the show’s place in the Marvel continuum forces it to start midstream — after the action of “Jessica Jones,” in which Mr. Colter’s Cage had a significant role — which leads to a flashback-heavy structure to shoehorn in the origin stories of Cage and other characters.

Wish i could go back in time and tell Lil Slayven that folks will be talking nonstop about folks like Luke Cage, Shades, and Black Mariah.

MHWILLIAMs must be over the moon

MCU Shades up in here like Black Littlefinger.

2d70718f-8438-4fb5-b2a0-01671a521321.jpeg

Most sane dude in the show. Plans within plans.

Malyse

A man sits before you, tied to a chair, a bloodstained bag over his head. He has been tortured. You hear him moan in pain. He is one of two things: either terrified, desperate, abuse innocent or a hired killer who is been sent to murder you. Military helicopters and soldiers currently attack the island on which you stand. You can hear explosions coming closer. If you stay here he will die.

Do you free him?

Shy

I want a She-Hulk show
I'd be down for that.
A man sits before you, tied to a chair, a bloodstained bag over his head. He has been tortured. You hear him moan in pain. He is one of two things: either terrified, desperate, abuse innocent or a hired killer who is been sent to murder you. Military helicopters and soldiers currently attack the island on which you stand. You can hear explosions coming closer. If you stay here he will die.

Do you free him?
Yes.

Do you free him?
What's in it for me

Furyous

Do you free him?

For this to be any type of realistic the guy has to be unconscious otherwise a hired killer would just murder you anyway.

Why should I free him when I can tap his pockets, take his gear, and peace out before anyone finds out I was there?

A Jennifer Walters She Hulk is hard to pull off for a reasons:

Let's just say she's "very social"
in the sexually free kind of way.
Marvel would have a Herculean job of pulling this one off if they stuck to prior versions of the character... but I am not shaming tho.

She's a lawyer as well so it would be difficult to pull the series off without delving too hard into social issues and Luke Cage has that lane on lock.

I'd rather have Scarlet Spider in Houston banging Screw tapes and cursing out old ladies.

Aiustis

I think it's from sleeping on a lumpy futon with no pillow.

Edit: the worst part is that it's only painless if I sleep on my back, but I can't sit up while being on my back.

I have tuck a hand under my head and hold it stable, then slowly rotate myself face down, then I slowly push up and backward while keeping my head tilted back.

Crocodile

*Reads random short story online*

*Black dude enters the scene and starts a robbery*

*Author feels the need to leave a note saying: "I'm Black so its not racist, I'm just painting a picture"*

xShB_5.gif

I know I shouldn't be so surprised about this, but I'm honestly disappointed and infuriated at comments that are disparaging towards the new BF1 gameplay trailer solely because the protagonist of the American campaign is a black man serving with the Harlem Hellfighters and the French. Smh, especially at those saying it's "only to be PC" or "it's historically inaccurate". Because this painting was totally made for BF1:

Slayven

We should visit the UK since the pound is so cheap, we can stay with Shy. Hell way things are going, we could probably BUY Shy.

Village

Yeah, I'd never expect it myself. I always thought he was C-list and would never get any media presence. When Marvel announced it way back when I expected it just to be mediocre.

Just finished it.
I was expecting them to wrap it nicely in a neat package, but they left cliffhangers. Shades and Mariah are still operating, Luke is being hauled off to Georgia, the doctor who gave Luke his powers is treating Diamondback, and the man at the barber shop found the files to prove his innocence. Ahhh, it bugs me. I guess they'll wrap up the ties in Defenders.

They aren't going to wrap up any of those things in defenders because they also have to deal with the other's problems. But most of all because they have to get more seasons out of these dudes, and along with that Luke and iron fist are the only two besides an occasionall frank that have actual reason to show up in other marvel shit. And if they do, that's going to delay that process even further. ]

I don't think you getting closure for a hot minute, I watched a TV show in my day, that ending was set up for a good while. You might not even See half those characters in a luke cage season 2 is they actually do it. Strait up

andthebeatgoeson

Morning.

Sit down at the DMV. Get a ticket for 150.

Overhead call for 125. I'll send a smoke signal up to come get me by the end of the week.

Beetlejuice.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom