• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

That last one.

Greer was arrested for misdemeanor aggravated battery because a police cadet turned him in after witnessing the incident.

Greer is currently out on a $5,000 bond and enjoying a paid vacation.

Why haven't measures been taken to remove the option to turn off body cameras with some parameters? Like obviously when their shift is up and they're out of uniform, great. But otherwise, it seems ridiculously that they can just turn it off, beat the hell out of someone, then turn it back one.

Damn.

uD1sUJ7.png

He wrote this in regards to this article.

http://nextshark.com/reviews-bruce-lee-biopic-asians-pissed/

Hey guys you like Gundam?

Anyway I was watching episode of Gundam Iron Blood Orphans(whoo season 1 so good).

They have a mammy character now? It's early on but I'm not sure how to feel about that.

There is a black character in the anime that is cool though. There's this older mechanic that them fix mobile suits and offers advice when necessary.

Malyse

how's it wrong?

Tumblr is going back and forth

Luke Cage spoilers:

in mama mabel’s vision of the world
there were things that girls (and all non-masculine identified people, like the person called “Sister Boy”) are supposed to provide and put up with and those things involve sex and being sexually used/abused to a certain point - which is why she tolerated Pete’s grooming, molestation, and rape of Mariah to a certain point and then sent Mariah off to school to be away from him but didn’t *end him* for that, not like she did when he came for her power

and why Mama Mabel expected Mariah, who was a child herself, to be a mother to baby Cornell because she was a girl

on the other hand: Mama Mabel expected certain things of male ID/masculine people - namely, that Cornell learn to enact violence, which she gender coded when she called it learning to “piss standing up”

Cornell’s horrific mistake is that he was willing to take Pete’s affection for him as a man and throw Mariah under the bus for that masculine pride - willing to sell her out, to say she deserved to be raped by Pete, that she was asking for it, to maintain his own masculine pride

It’s similar to the way he was willing to victim blame “Sister Boy.” to say a john beat them because they were not enough of a “brother”

He was so focused on the price that Mama Mabel believed male children should learn to pay that he completely ignored and disregarded the price she believed female children should pay - because he identified with the toxic, abusive hit of pride and power Pete’s affection toward him meant.

It’s the saddest fucking thing

http://mswyrr.tumblr.com/post/151214005210

And Mahershala Ali on Cottonmouth
Mahershala Ali said:
Cottonmouth is not the person he wanted to be. Cottonmouth is the result of having to react to his circumstances. He had to, in some ways, take control of the situation and own his circumstances. But as a result of that, he became a person he didn’t intend to become.

Shy

Morning all!
Hey folks!
Mornin', BCT.
Morning morning.
We should visit the UK since the pound is so cheap, we can stay with Shy. Hell way things are going, we could probably BUY Shy.
LOL. You couldn't afford me luv. 😆
I don't want any of that Damien voodoo. No thanks
LOL. This guy knows what's up.

I know this is old news and all, but how do you guys discuss Morgan Freeman's stance on Black History month? there seem to be people who agree with his stance, but this seems like such a twisted and cynical way to look at BHM.

shingi70

Banned
Probably going to be pretty disappointed but I hope somehow if the Black Lightning series is made its as Black as Luke Cage.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Is it me or the new Netflix. Luke Cage a little racist. Notice it's mostly black where is the diversity. @LIVE_COVERAGE
5:55 PM - 28 Sep 2016

What are you talkin' about? I saw at least 7 or 8 latino folks, a few asian folks, and a few white guys, one of which who plays a key role in this season. This cast is diverse as hell.

*sigh*

I swear that Rosario is going invent the magical latina trope. And I'm okay with that.

Hi, BCT.

LOL. You couldn't afford me luv. 😆

First off, Allo Shy

Secondly, didn't you say you were broke. So we can just put you in a little bag and take you home.

You can be my friend who everyone thinks is harmless, but will actually murder their family then arrange the funeral

Izuna

Banned
Screenshot-Original.png

One of the stories in Lost Odyssey. 8 years ago I didn't think much of this part, but as an adult it hits home.

Later on it's all like:

Screenshot-Original.png

~

Sch1sm

Yo Solange's new album A Seat at the Table is super black and super good.

Mentioned it the other day, but doesn't look like anyone had given it a listen at that point. I enjoyed it, thematically. It also had this old school vibe I really loved.

Sch1sm

I know this is old news and all, but how do you guys discuss Morgan Freeman's stance on Black History month? there seem to be people who agree with his stance, but this seems like such a twisted and cynical way to look at BHM.

His stance is, and I quote, "ridiculous." I disagree with it. Having a month dedicated to Black history doesn't mean that our history is restricted to being commemorated in a single month, or no longer part of American history. It's a good manner of raising awareness, and I think he's neglecting the fact that while Black history is most certainly American history, we're cut out of textbooks and curriculums like Natives.

He's arguing as if it's divisive, and I think it's a means of spreading a knowledge that has the potential to die out without that time dedicated to it. At least, until appropriate measures are put in place to give it equal importance to the revolution, or the civil war, Black contributions deserve their time to shine more than a "Jewish" or "White" history month, as he compares.

Yo I'll check it out. I need some new music

Jamila Woods' album is lovely, too.

Sch1sm

True. I should just move in with Sch1sm. 😜

Let me know when you arrive at Pearson Int'l/YYZ. 😂

Sch1sm has dollars? How did I miss this? Has Slayven hit him up for all the $20s yet?

I work part time, my dude. I'm a full time student. I keep my money saved. Like I only spend a quarter of what I make a year. Lord knows that'll pay off my loan when I graduate, though.

Let me hold $20, bruh.

Infinite

His stance is, and I quote, "ridiculous." I disagree with it. Having a month dedicated to Black history doesn't mean that our history is restricted to being commemorated in a single month, or no longer part of American history. It's a good manner of raising awareness, and I think he's neglecting the fact that while Black history is most certainly American history, we're cut out of textbooks and curriculums like Natives.

He's arguing as if it's divisive, and I think it's a means of spreading a knowledge that has the potential to die out without that time dedicated to it. At least, until appropriate measures are put in place to give it equal importance to the revolution, or the civil war, Black contributions deserve their time to shine more than a "Jewish" or "White" history month, as he compares.

Jamila Woods' album is lovely, too.

she has the same name as my sister lol

Imm0rt4l

Bresha Meadows, the 14 year old girl who killed her physically and emotionally abusive father, is on suicide watch. Terrible.

shingi70

Banned
I still want time finish school and go into computer engineering, but tomorrow I'm feeling out an application for my cities fire department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom