• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

You guys read that article that says that Luke Cage (the character in the show not the show itself) is a black conservative? What y'all think?

Here's the article for anyone who hasn't read it and sorry if this was discussed before here.

Sch1sm

Nicki Minaj has something to say about Kayne's Golddigger song.

Song came out over a decade ago but she's not wrong.

She's talking a lot of truth in this. Had me at this:
“It wasn’t funny when Kanye said [in his 2005 hit ‘Gold Digger’], ‘When he get on, he’ll leave your ass for a white girl’ — and Kanye happens to be with a white girl now. It wasn’t funny when he said it; it was the f--king truth.”

The bit about media reaction in regard to a nude photo from someone like her, vs. a Kardashian type, too. Sharon Osbourne, yeesh.

Why did you do it Slay, why did you join the empire. ? ��

There's a charecter in Rebels called Cpt. Slavin. (but thrawn pronounced it Slayven ��)

What did he do. ?

Only thing I remember Boyega doing recently was shutting down some rogue Trump sympathizers on Twitter

----

Texas ISD employee fired after video showing him pushing child prompts investigation, and guess what race the poor kid is.

Malyse

I wonder how much backlash Minaj would get for posting a nude photo

People would be decrying her on every social media platform
from their semen covered hands.
Ahh. OK. Cool.

������

ZJlZt3B.jpg

Dai101

Banned
I was lurking into my past self and came across one of my favourite GAF moments:

NeoGAF Candy Swap Summer 2011

Here's mine from Dai101. Pretty clueless as to what most of it is but that's half the fun :D
0jofj.jpg

I've PMed him about it but his parcel is stuck at customs according to DHL. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon or it's going to be stored in some warehouse indefinitely.

Drama ensued:

Oh hi!! Didn't know it have already arrived to your house. Damn, MEXPOST is fast, faster (and reliable too) than i've ever imagined. I really hope you like most of the stuff.

By the way, i have to reamove some of the stuff i wanted to send you, mostly beacuse it wasn't sealed (some of that stuff is bougth in raw, so no vacum or reatail package)

Well, DHL, i'll fight for my candy. Or i'll going to break into the warehouse you have them and take it!!!

Well.......... i just called the guys at DHL and it seems that i can't get my candy. For some bullshit in my local custom office (that's what they said) they can't realease the package until i get a custom clearance. To make this short, it will cost a LOT, and i guess i'll just give them the OK to send the package back to the UK.

Wow that sucks. Is it against the law or something to receive foreign confectionery? Or is it just a DHL problem? They certainly don't list it as against the rules at DHL. I can try again with Royal Mail if you want, although once it hits Mexico it'll be going through the same customs again.

Maybe is has something to do with the parcel company (in this case DHL) because last week when i was getting quotes for your package the guy at FedEx told me everything you need to fill for they realease the package when it arrives at UK, almost the exact same thing that the guy at DHL told me minutes ago.
When i went to MEXPOST (operated by Correo Mexicano, our goverment operated mail) i asked for this and they told me that no, you (i.e. the recipient) don't have to pay nothing else for customs or anything else, i just filled a custom form right away, it cost me nothing (was included in the price for the whole service) and they said me it was for the immediate release of your package when it landed in customs. That even reminds me, when i've ordered games and other things like, dvd's, clothes etc. and beign delivered by UPS or FedEx the guy who delivers it charges me for the "customs quota" or "cargo por aduana" as a % of the total cost of the goods. When it gets through regular mail they don't charge you nothing.

So, if it's ok with you yeah, we can try the Royal Mail, ask them first all about this mess first ;).

Once again, i'm really sorry for all this mess

Almost one month+ later

Myself said:
Well, it finally came the day i could upload pics of my haul!!!

j7JRK.jpg

That red circle is for you DHL!!! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!

ePFXO.jpg

YaRyH.jpg

The chocolate was great, and also there's no much left by now. Toasty Banana, you're a real pal, thanks for shipping this TWICE

So, Shy. Buddy!! Care to ship some of those tasty Cadbury chocolates? ;-)

Dai101

Banned
Damn, Dai. Glad that worked out in the end. Some of the items in there are pretty tasty.

I forgot completely about that package xD.

Then, one day my mom called me saying there was a package for me that surely will "bright my day" (i was having a rough patch at the time, it certainly helped) i wasn't sure what she meant and she brought it to my shop and i couldn't believe it.

BTW, the fuckers at dhl have already opened and half eated some of the contents before returning it to ToastyBanana which then reached me by PM to tell me that and that he inmediatly will repakage whats left and shipped it this time by the ole Royal Mail.

I still i'm baffled with my local mail service since it only took 5-6 days for my pakage to reach the UK.

Good times, good times.
And indeed i shared it with other friends, my lady friend which BTW don't eat candy and even less chocolate (she suffers from migraines and chocolate usually triggers it) coudln't resis, fortunately this time didn't trigger an episode. And with my parents and lil' sis and brothers, couldn't believe the whole swap thing.

BTW, mi ama (mexican for my mom) was the one that choose most of the haul i sent.

I will do it again in a heartbeat.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I forgot completely about that package xD.

Then, one day my mom called me saying there was a package for me that surely will "bright my day" (i was having a rough patch at the time, it certainly helped) i wasn't sure what she meant and she brought it to my shop and i couldn't believe it.

BTW, the fuckers at dhl have already opened and half eated some of the contents before returning it to ToastyBanana which then reached me by PM to tell me that and that he inmediatly will repakage whats left and shipped it this time by the ole Royal Mail.

I still i'm baffled with my local mail service since it only took 5-6 days for my pakage to reach the UK.

Good times, good times.
And indeed i shared it with other friends, my lady friend which BTW don't eat candy and even less chocolate (she suffers from migraines and chocolate usually triggers it) coudln't resis, fortunately this time didn't trigger an episode. And with my parents and lil' sis and brothers, couldn't believe the whole swap thing.

BTW, mi ama (mexican for my mom) was the one that choose most of the haul i sent.

I will do it again in a heartbeat.
Why did the candy swap thing stop? I would have loved to do that too.

Kreed

You guys read that article that says that Luke Cage (the character in the show not the show itself) is a black conservative? What y'all think?

Here's the article for anyone who hasn't read it and sorry if this was discussed before here.

Based on the reasons the article is giving I have to disagree, at least in regards to the Republican party (especially not the current one). Not saying the n-word and thinking about the "old days" of helping old ladies walk across the street are not Black Republican exclusive traits. They are "conservative" traits in the literal sense for black people but they don't have anything to do with politics IMO.

Nicki Minaj has something to say about Kayne's Golddigger song.

Song came out over a decade ago but she's not wrong.

I need to read the full article, because from the excerpt I disagree in regards to Kanye. Kanye was dating Alexis Phifer when he wrote the song in 05 and they ended their engagement a couple of months before Kanye met Amber Rose in a Ludacris video, who would be the white girl Kanye "left" for if you consider that leaving, not Kim Kardashian (Kanye's move from Amber to Kim fits the "leaving" description but since neither of them are black it doesn't matter here). But I know for some people Kanye dating anyone non black is enough for this lyric to become questionable so I understand Nicki's perspective there.

In general though, Kanye shouldn't have made the joke at the expense of black women's feelings so I agree with Nicki that it wasn't funny. While I believe black people in general need to move past the idea of black men "leaving" black women for women of other ethnic groups (especially since it usually is in reference to black men dating women of other ethnic groups whether they are single or not and absolutely nothing to do with a black man actually dumping a black woman for someone else), it's not something a black man like Kanye (especially "acting crazy on Twitter over Kim and Amber Rose" Kanye) should be making fun of black women for.

Slayven

I would never join the empire or the rebels, they ain't trying to have no colored folks in power

Icon was a black republican.

Sch1sm

That line of thinking that black men are "leaving" black women for other ethnicities isn't going to die until we can all say that we're not hearing any black men essentially say that they're doing it because of the blanketed character traits associated with black women. It's something I've heard growing up, still now. Maybe that's just east Toronto talking, but the commonality is usually wanting a woman who's gonna stay in a woman's place sorta thing. Less attitude, less of a strong personality, more "feminine" traits sorta deal, at least from the conversations I've had. I tell them they ain't shit if it's that sort of preference that's stopping 'em since not everyone can be boxed into the stereotype, but if it's something other than that, then more power to them.

We obviously can't assume that's always the case, but we can't say it isn't still happening.

---

On another note, I was going through The Root today and found this thing called the We Love You Project where a guy's going around some major US cities, taking pictures of black men in positive lights.

They'll be doing 1000 women afterward, too. I like it.

Infinite

Based on the reasons the article is giving I have to disagree, at least in regards to the Republican party (especially not the current one). Not saying the n-word and thinking about the "old days" of helping old ladies walk across the street are not Black Republican exclusive traits. They are "conservative" traits in the literal sense for black people but they don't have anything to do with politics IMO.

I need to read the full article, because from the excerpt I disagree in regards to Kanye. Kanye was dating Alexis Phifer when he wrote the song in 05 and they ended their engagement a couple of months before Kanye met Amber Rose in a Ludacris video, who would be the white girl Kanye "left" for if you consider that leaving, not Kim Kardashian (Kanye's move from Amber to Kim fits the "leaving" description but since neither of them are black it doesn't matter here). But I know for some people Kanye dating anyone non black is enough for this lyric to become questionable so I understand Nicki's perspective there.

In general though, Kanye shouldn't have made the joke at the expense of black women's feelings so I agree with Nicki that it wasn't funny. While I believe black people in general need to move past the idea of black men "leaving" black women for women of other ethnic groups (especially since it usually is in reference to black men dating women of other ethnic groups whether they are single or not and absolutely nothing to do with a black man actually dumping a black woman for someone else), it's not something a black man like Kanye (especially "acting crazy on Twitter over Kim and Amber Rose" Kanye) should be making fun of black women for.
I think by "conservative" he meant respectability politics and not the actual GOP.

Also Amber IDs as black and has black ancestry

Kreed

I think by "conservative" he meant respectability politics and not the actual GOP.

Also Amber IDs as black and has black ancestry

That's what it felt like in the article, but it was hard to tell, especially with jokes like wondering how Luke Cage feels about black on black crime.

Didn't know that about Amber/I take back what I said on her not fitting the lyric.

That line of thinking that black men are "leaving" black women for other ethnicities isn't going to die until we can all say that we're not hearing any black men essentially say that they're doing it because of the blanketed character traits associated with black women. It's something I've heard growing up, still now. Maybe that's just east Toronto talking, but the commonality is usually wanting a woman who's gonna stay in a woman's place sorta thing. Less attitude, less of a strong personality, more "feminine" traits sorta deal, at least from the conversations I've had. I tell them they ain't shit if it's that sort of preference that's stopping 'em since not everyone can be boxed into the stereotype, but if it's something other than that, then more power to them.

We obviously can't assume that's always the case, but we can't say it isn't still happening.

We definitely have those stupid stereotypes about black women in the US too from black men (a couple of black celebrities have also said stupid opinions like this) and they can kick rocks. I was speaking more on black people who criticize other black people for dating outside of their ethnic group simply because they are doing it, not because they said anything negative about their own group. Example, I remember there was a picture posted in here of Simone Biles kissing Zac Efron on the cheek (not even dating, just a young girl having a crush/being a fan) and in the photo she was being criticized for it as being a sell out/etc. Or in an even more extreme case, the was a crazy black woman that was angry at Kendrick Lamar because his girl friend was light skin and made this whole video rant about him not being genuine.

Sch1sm

That's what it felt like in the article, but it was hard to tell, especially with jokes like wondering how Luke Cage feels about black on black crime.

Didn't know that about Amber/I take back what I said on her not fitting the lyric.

We definitely have those stupid stereotypes about black women in the US too from black men (a couple of black celebrities have also said stupid opinions like this) and they can kick rocks. I was speaking more on black people who criticize other black people for dating outside of their ethnic group simply because they are doing it, not because they said anything negative about their own group. Example, I remember there was a picture posted in here of Simone Biles kissing Zac Efron on the cheek (not even dating, just a young girl having a crush/being a fan) and in the photo she was being criticized for it as being a sell out/etc. Or in an even more extreme case, the was a crazy black woman that was angry at Kendrick Lamar because his girl friend was light skin and made this whole video rant about him not being genuine.

Oh, I agree with you there. It's risible that anyone would get criticized for dating someone out of their own race/liking someone of a different race and what have you because there's this idea that people should stick to their own. Love is love, infatuation the same, crushes the same. If you find that in a Polynesian or Chilean, it is what it is. Congrats, even.

Had to Google the one about Kendrick's girl, and I just watched that rant, lmao. It's as if there's a scale of blackness in this woman's eyes. Pretty sure the girl K-Dot is with identifies as black, too, so yikes at this entire rant. Like her skin colour takes away from her blackness in anyway despite having the same mix as so many other prominent black celebs - ne black parent, one biracial (white/black) parent - like Monica, the Mowry sisters, etc. Are those three cases black enough for Kendrick to not get shit? Is my mother's blackness rating lower than mine 'cause she has lighter skin? Is a white looking Hispanic less Hispanic than the next dude? The logic is 0/10. Still, the fact he got any shit over this for her "not being black enough" is ludicrous. Ain't nobody's business. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand why the reactions are this intense. There were too many hits when I searched.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

From what I've gathered, most of the negative response towards black men dating other ethnicities stems from the black women hurt by black men pushing the idea that white women are superior or consider dating one moving up. It feels like another way of oppression but from your own people. A lot of black women internalize the suffering of the black man alongside their own so to be belittled by your own is devastating. Coupled with the negative perceptions of black women, to be seen as undesirable by black men is well, hard to deal with.

And then there's the response black women receive when dating outside of black. Dating a white man is seen as approving of the rapes our ancestors suffered, there's a fetish involved or reinforcing that we are undesirable to any other non-black man. Which basically implies we should stay with our own race with dating. Therefore, when the men date outside the race, it's not taken lightly.

It will take some time for this to be resolved because there's a shit ton of issues surrounding the topic including beauty standards, stereotypes, racism etc.

Frankly, I have heard from so many dudes how hurt they would be if I dated someone white or otherwise. I always ask what the hell my love life or lack thereof... has to do with them or their self worth. It's a shame really.

Merc_

From what I've gathered, most of the negative response towards black men dating other ethnicities stems from the black women hurt by black men pushing the idea that white women are superior or consider dating one moving up. It feels like another way of oppression but from your own people. A lot of black women internalize the suffering of the black man alongside their own so to be belittled by your own is devastating. Coupled with the negative perceptions of black women, to be seen as undesirable by black men is well, hard to deal with.

Yeah, and I'm sure it doesn't help that so many black dudes have to make some weird show of wanting to date non black women. I've seen way too much shitty behavior from fellow black men in that regard. It makes us all look so fucking pathetic with how some black men seem as though they are willing to step over their own mother just to get with a white girl.

Frankly, I have heard from so many dudes how hurt they would be if I dated someone white or otherwise. I always ask what the hell my love life or lack thereof... has to do with them or their self worth. It's a shame really.

That seems to be a weird issue with all races of people. Like how white women lost their damn minds over Robert Pattinson having a black girlfriend. Folks care way to much about the love lives of other people.

I saw the usual comments after this was revealed as well

TBIEGmI.jpg

Personally I could never date outside my race because I feel I am to culturally black and would want a woman who I could relate and identify with. Like reminiscing about martin , old r kelly jams or cracking jokes about how I better put some lotion on my ashy ankles lol.

I see no problem with interracial couples tho , I think there is just some stigma about how most black men when they get fame go for white women so they get a lot of heat for it. I really think its far from the truth . There are many black celebs who date with in their race.Will Smith, Lebron , and Beyonce just to name a few.

I feel its a vocal minority of black men who put white women on pedestals and promote which gets a lot of attention and understandably makes black women feel a type of way. They hold them to a higher social status which they are in a white dominated society

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That seems to be a weird issue with all races of people. Like how white women lost their damn minds over Robert Pattinson having a black girlfriend. Folks care way to much about the love lives of other people.

True true.

But it does seem like whenever a black girl comes into the picture, people go wild.

I have to say though, I'm so used to interracial relationships that whenever stuff like this is brought up, I feel uncomfortable because I don't get the hostility that ensues.

Coming from a family that has mixed and mingled with many different cultures and backgrounds, I get confused when these things are brought into question. Like when my mom told me my brother's girlfriend was worried we wouldn't like her because she was white. Or when my ex made weird comments because he found out I almost dated a Lebanese man. I never thought any of that was a big deal. Sometimes I still struggle to get it but I'm reading more about why other black women are bothered by black men dating outside and it's starting to make sense.

Zekes!

Being biracial, I always feel a weird sense of guilt when the conversation about Black men fetishizing white women comes up. I look around my family and it's clear as day, as almost all my cousins are biracial too.

I've never dated any Black girls myself. But it has more to do with the lack of a Black community where I live. Closest I ever came was almost being set up with a half Black girl who was just as white as me. Other than that, the only Black girls I knew were my cousins.

That said, I've been trying to be more vocal about my support of Black women and Black beauty. I grew up in a city that lacked a lot of diversity up until recently, and never thought twice about the dominance of white beauty standards. I've mentioned this before, but the moment that changed my perception was when my cousin told me that it bothered him and his older brother when Black women dated white men, despite the fact he said he wasn't attracted to Black women. After that, I began to see how that fuckery was everywhere.

cdyhybrid

As someone of mixed ethnicity I don't even know what to think.

Am I polluting someone's bloodline?

Am I getting them closer to glorious all-mixed future?

Should I only be dating "my own kind" (mixed people)?

Do I even have a "my own kind"?

Am I someone's fetish?

Am I turning them into a fetish?

No , we live in a world where everyone is mixing. You are not polluting anyones bloodline , You are the Bloodline

Maybe, but eventually the majority of people in the word will be mixed, so its essentially just a by-product of life.

Date who ever you want, date who makes you happy. Never limit your partners to just "You'r Kind" we are all humans at the end of the day.

Your Kind ... you mean humans

Am I someone's fetish?

Maybe

Depends on who you date i guess

Answer's in quotes

Numb

giphy.gif

Get looks from both sides anyway so do and be with whoever you want
Being a celebrity ofcourse amplifies things

Sch1sm

Being biracial, I always feel a weird sense of guilt when the conversation about Black men fetishizing white women comes up. I look around my family and it's clear as day, as almost all my cousins are biracial too.

I've never dated any Black girls myself. But it has more to do with the lack of a Black community where I live. Closest I ever came was almost being set up with a half Black girl who was just as white as me. Other than that, the only Black girls I knew were my cousins.

That said, I've been trying to be more vocal about my support of Black women and Black beauty. I grew up in a city that lacked a lot of diversity up until recently, and never thought twice about the dominance of white beauty standards. I've mentioned this before, but the moment that changed my perception was when my cousin told me that it bothered him and his older brother when Black women dated white men, despite the fact he said he wasn't attracted to Black women. After that, I began to see how that fuckery was everywhere.

I've never dated any Black girls myself. But it has more to do with the lack of a Black community where I live.

I think that's okay, though. It's circumstantial, not active choice to just not date them, y'know?

I've mentioned this before, but the moment that changed my perception was when my cousin told me that it bothered him and his older brother when Black women dated white men, despite the fact he said he wasn't attracted to Black women. After that, I began to see how that fuckery was everywhere.

I don't get that level of hypocrisy. I've always wondered how they rationalize it. "I hella want to be with a white/Asian/whatever girl, but if a black girl dated someone who wasn't black, I'd feel some type of way." How is there zero cognitive dissonance when they make those comments?

Am I someone's fetish?

"My own kind." Shiiiit. Gotta get those 23andme/ancestry.com tests to make sure y'all match up perfectly before you make the commitment.

Mornin' peeps!

Wait just a minute! Shy, you handing out Cadbury and ain't even tell me? Don't you go trying to save me from myself!!

Morning!

You need less Cadbury's in your life, man. Shy's doing you a favour.

Infinite

I notice for a lot of black men that I know them dating white women or nonblack women has mostly to do with circumstance. For example a who goes to predominately white universities or choose career paths where white people outnumber black people is more likely to have white friends than black. I think occupying spaces like that just put you in a position where interracial dating becomes natural.

I notice for a lot of black men that I know them dating white women or nonblack women has mostly to do with circumstance. For example a who goes to predominately white universities or choose career paths where white people outnumber black people is more likely to have white friends than black. I think occupying spaces like that just put you in a position where interracial dating becomes natural.

I'd have to agree. Couple that with many of the stereotypes of what being black means and what black males need to do in order to maintain their blackness, you get relationships that are born out of circumstance. I can't remember who posted it earlier in the thread, but the "talk white" comment and ideas like that weigh on you. You get tired of expectations that were created in order to lock you into a specific place in society. It truly is an interesting issue

Where does being told "you aren't black enough" fall on the reasons why you choose to interracially date.

I caught that L many times growing up.

I'd have to agree. Couple that with many of the stereotypes of what being black means and what black males need to do in order to maintain their blackness, you get relationships that are born out of circumstance. I can't remember who posted it earlier in the thread, but the "talk white" comment and ideas like that weigh on you. You get tired of expectations that were created in order to lock you into a specific place in society. It truly is an interesting issue

This man here

I think when people say talk white its the accent and pronunciation as oppose to speaking proper english.

I agree with the other poster that you quoted that it all depends on where you were raised. I am from a mostly black community and when I first entered college I met a lot of other black people who sounded different . Their accents sounded foreign to me but we spoke the same language. If a black person is raised in a predominantly white community is it wrong to say he talks white? He's still black tho.

Someone telling a black person they arent black enough is from ignorance and stereotyping . I know of many black men who are told they aren't like most black men but they still prefer black women . I know of many stereotypical black men who love white women also and look at them as a come up.

I distinctly remember people saying I talked white all throughout high school because I never used slang and used a lot of big words. I was and still am a huge nerd, and didn't really hang out with that many black people inside high school, and my circle of black and half black friends also were huge nerds. My parents had me in their 40's and taught me those old school values and that I didn't need to act like any stereotypes. It's better to be yourself instead of reinforcing stereotypes that are negative to the community.

I distinctly remember people saying I talked white all throughout high school because I never used slang and used a lot of big words. I was and still am a huge nerd, and didn't really hang out with that many black people inside high school, and my circle of black and half black friends also were huge nerds. My parents had me in their 40's and taught me those old school values and that I didn't need to act like any stereotypes. It's better to be yourself instead of reinforcing stereotypes that are negative to the community.

I remember when I was younger people would test everybody on how much slang they knew and if they didn't know what something meant they would get clowned for it and made to look like a lame.

I never considered myself a nerd even tho I liked things most girls would consider corny. That makes me think what is a nerd I liked dragon ball z , ballerina, anime, and dressed differently and got teased for it

Goood morning black peop....

*sees convo about interracial relationships*

*is product of an interracial relationship*

I'll be on my way then.

But your mom is an inspiration to us all. No one else loves DMX the way she does.

A large percentage of my family is mixed. I embrace it. It happens. People fall in love and that's it. That's how it works. As long as the love is real, who cares

Sch1sm

Goood morning black peop....

*sees convo about interracial relationships*

*is product of an interracial relationship*

I'll be on my way then.

More a conversation on attitudes toward interracial relationships than opposing them. We accept all the ~40% of black you got in ya, regardless. 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom